What makes you respect a character in a story?

What makes you respect a character in a story?

Attached: small image.png (184x184, 155)

why use loss to start this thread?

If they've banged a lotta chicks.

because i wanted to brag about the small file size

jaja le abortion comix :)

They have flaws

what kinda flaws?

Realistic flaws.

It's a good example. No one cares about the story or characters in loss because it's badly executed and over the top.

What about Jesus? Is Jesus not respectable for not having any realistic flaws?

Jesus didn;t bang alotta chicks thats s flaw

I don't think Jesus banged any women

Mortality was Jesus' flaw and that's what the whole of Christianity is pinned on.

It pretty much comes down to relatability. "I relate to this character because that's a flaw that I have, or that's something I would do, or that's an ideal that I believe in."
That's why, even when a character is otherwise reprehensible or alien to us, we can have those moments where we agree with them and feel sympathetic towards them. Sympathetic feeling are also important.
So then, respect for a character often has to with them inhabiting some idealized role that we can relate. The hero who fights for justice. The wayward man who gives his life for the little girl. The man who follows his conviction, so on so forth.

That's definitely a flaw, then

So why is the first thing you people think of "flaws" that's the first attribute you all give yourselves? Flawed? Uh?

being observant, reliable in spirit, aggressive, male, neither exalted nor totally despised by peers, if outsider, must have demonstrable wits and reason for being outsider.

I can't identify with characters who are stand-ins for the author unless there is enormous elan emanating from them via the close resonance between MC and Author, a la Celine

You don't respect females?

Real humans are flawed. Not every character has to be for them to be relatable or respectable, but in some cases being able to say of a character "Ah, I'd do that. He's like me." helps a lot.
Its also very healthy to be able to recognize flaws in a character and through that lens see your own flaws and why they're bad.

Absolutely nothing. I am incapable of relating to or caring about fictional characters in any capacity what so ever. I find the entire concept of "respecting" (regardless of what quality or struggle or whatever it is you're supposedly respecting) something fictitious, even if on some level you view it as real or representative of something real entirely ridiculous and frankly verging on pitiable.

What about real people? Can you respect them?

Certainly, I also happen to be keen on generally assuming the goodness and truthfulness in what most people have to say about their lives, experiences, etc. Even when, say, they aren't necessarily profound or insightful on an individual level. I believe they still deserve to be respected (and as a result the people expressing them) purely based on the fact that they are the thoughts and experiences of a real sentient person. When it comes to fiction I cannot personally respect the "individuals" (characters) outside of what idea or concept they potentially may represent. Though I must admit I was in a bit of a fit of passion and lost myself a bit with my earlier post.

I can’t respect anything that will bleed for seven days without dying.

your second panel is wrong, the second figure should be shorter not prone

It represents the desk I think

Sometimes it depends on the rest of the characters. I'm reading The Devils by Doestoyevsky, and one of the only characters I respect is Nicholas Stavrogin, even though he's supposed to be kind of the nihilist. The other characters with the exception of the narrator and a few others are either weak minded, really annoying, or are just act like pieces of shit the whole time. I'm probably forgetting some things, because I'm coming back to the book after awhile of not reading it, but still.

When experience hardships and don't seem to notice, like the dude from The Stranger or Billy Pilgrim from Slaughterhouse-five.