Newbie here, asking if pic related is the same as the original, or if Tolkien put a spin on it

Newbie here, asking if pic related is the same as the original, or if Tolkien put a spin on it

Attached: 40E413E8-EAEB-4A19-A178-FA31A253AA9A.jpg (4032x3024, 1.36M)

Why is pic sideways? i couldnt tell ya. also sorry for shitty camera...

Poems are untranslatable but everyone pretends otherwise. Beowulf is a poem. Hope that helps.

>Is a translation the same as the original?

Attached: (you).jpg (210x240, 8K)

A spin on it? If only he was that restrained. The absolute pipe-addled madman put it in -English-.

>is the same as the original
hwaet

>tfw can't into alliterative verse
i just can't feel the rhythm anons.
help me out.

H
E
A
N
E
Y

You should just read the original desu famalam

Surprised no one has given OP a proper answer yet. Veeky Forums should be better than this.

OP, Tolkien's Beowulf is a prose translation of Beowulf which is originally an epic poem. Tolkien was a professor of Anglo-Saxon and it seems to have been done as an exercise in linguistics, to help Tolkien's understanding of the text. That's the "spin", it's a poem rendered into prose by Tolkien.

For something closer to the original you want a verse translation. I don't know which is the best one. Maybe Seamus Heaney's? Can other anons comment? It goes without saying that you can never recreate the original in modern English.

I would get a Beowulf which has the original Old English text - just read it out to yourself, you won't understand many of the words but if you're a native English speaker you'll vaguely feel what is being described through the tone and the sound of the Old English.

Retard

Attached: just about done.jpg (508x524, 27K)

Howell D Chickering's is the standard academic translation. It's a verse translation that preserves the structure and terseness of the original. Plus it has the Old English on the facing page which is really useful.

SO

It's HWÆT, you mongrel

u hwæt m8?

MEBODY ONCE TOLD ME

This is the only post that matters

this was never intended to be published, you chose a poor translation

>Epic or Narrative poetry
>Untranslatable
Jfc you guys…

lmao classic pol retard answer

"ur will feel the history"

there is no such thing as collective culture you stupid prick, stop implying there is trying to rope sensible people into your batshit idenittarian ideology

Holy shit you missed that user point, the language it self will carry the same cadance of today.

Literally kys brainlet

Attached: 1516953608240.png (488x463, 28K)

>THIS