Where do i start with arthurian canon? is there a chart?

where do i start with arthurian canon? is there a chart?

Attached: img1-Excalibur-1981-free-movie-download.jpg (1024x576, 113K)

Malory's La Morte D'Arthur is the chart

Attached: 1481097383743.png (820x1020, 1.4M)

>no Tennyson
BAKA

Attached: idylls1.jpg (502x800, 107K)

>Where do I start reading about the British king who fought against the Saxons (English)?
>read le English revisionist versions

Why haven't the goyim been told?

If you're going to read about a Welsh king fighting against Saxons you might want to read the Welsh sources, which are much earlier and far more interesting and esoteric than the mundane shite Malory made up.

Attached: mabinogion.jpg (530x557, 250K)

Name of said Welsh original version is in file name btw.

One of the stories this scene depicts was actually mistranslated from Welsh to English. They're not playing chess, they're discussing astrological constalations which you'll understand while reading about the various armies with different signs on their shields approaching to ask to call off the flesh eating ravens.

Attached: alan-lee-the-mabinogion-the-dream-of-rhonabwy.jpg (900x917, 213K)

I unironically love that movie, I even love the incrediably silly chrome-polished armour the knights wear, I dont know why it's just got a slightly 1970's parallel universe version of the past feel.

Here's how I teach Arthurian Lit:
+Gildas: On the Ruin & Conquest of Britain (De excidio et conquest Britanniae), 547 A.D.
+Bede: The Ecclesiastical History of the English People (Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum), c. 731 A.D.
+Nennius: The History of the Britons (Historia Brittonum), c. 800 A.D.
+The Annals of Cambria (Annales Cambriae), c. 970 A.D.
+William, Chaplain to Bishop Eudo of Leon: Legend of St. Goeznovius (Legenda Sancti Goeznovii), c. 1019 A.D.
+William of Malmesbury: The Deeds of English Kings (De rebus gestis regum Anglorum) 1125 A.D.
+The Black Book of Carmarthen (Llyfr Du Caerfyrddin) c. 1250 A.D.
+What Man is the Porter? (Pa Gur yv y Portaur) Welsh poem-fragment transcribed c. 1250 A.D.
+Aneirin: Y Gododdin (Book of Aneirin) Welsh poem transcribed c. 1250 A.D.
+Geoffrey of Monmouth (Galfridus Monemutensis): Prophecies of Merlin (Prophetiae Merlini) c. 1130 A.D., History of the Kings of Britain (Historia Regum Britanniae) c. 1136 A.D., Life of Merlin (Vita Merlini) c. 1150 A.D.
+Song of Roland (La Chanson de Roland ):“The Knights Code of Chivalry & Vows of Knighthood” c. 1150 A.D.
+Wace: The French Romance of Brutus (Roman de Brut) c. 1155 A.D.
+Béroul: The Romance of Tristan (Le Roman de Tristan) c. 1160 A.D.
+Thomas of Britain: Tristan c. 1160 A.D.
+Marie de France: The Lay of Chievrefueil & Lanval c. 1170 A.D.
+The Rise of Gawain, Nephew of Arthur (De Ortu Waluuanii Nepotis Arturi) c. 1170 A.D.
+Chrétien de Troyes: The Knight of the Cart (Lancelot, le Chevalier de la Charrette) c. 1175 A.D. Perceval, the Story of the Grail (Perceval, le Conte du Graal). 1181 A.D.
+Layamon: The Chronicle of Britain (Brut) c. 1190 A.D.

(con.)
+Giraldus Cambrensis: On the Instruction of Princes (De instructione principum) c. 1195 A.D.
+Robert de Boron: The prose romance of Perceval (The Didot Perceval) c. 1200 A.D.
+De Boron’s lost Merlin poem was rewritten in prose as the Prose Merlin (Vulgate Estoire de Merlin) c. 1240, and is in one manuscript followed by the Suite du Merlin (Huth Merlin or Post-Vulgate Suite du Merlin), a sequel or extension c. 1230 A.D.
+Wolfram von Eschenbach: Parzival c. 1210 A.D.
+Andreas Capellanus: The Rules of Courtly Love (De Amore, De arte honeste amandi) c. 1185 A.D.
+The Saga of the Mantle (M ̨ottuls saga) Old Norse c. 1270
+White Book of Rhydderch (Llyfr Gwyn Rhydderch) transcribed c. 1350 A.D. & Red Book of Hergest (Llyfr Coch Hergest) c. 1382 A.D. [collected & translated as The Mabinogion by Lady Charlotte Guest 1838-1849]: {“Culhwch and Olwen” composed c. 1100 A.D.}
+The Spoils of Annwn (Preiddeu Annwfn) Book of Taliesin transcribed c.1330 A.D.
+Cantare on the Death of Tristan (I Cantari di Tristano) transcribed c. 1350 A.D.
+“Pearl-poet”: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Cotton Nero A.x.) c. 1400 A.D.
+The Alliterative Morte Arthure (Lincoln Thornton Manuscript) c. 1400 A.D.
+Philip III, Duke of Burgundy: The Chivalric Virtues c. 1430 A.D.
+The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell (The Weddynge of Syr Gawen and Dame Ragnell) c. 1470.
+Sir Thomas Malory: Le Morte Darthur. Winchester Manuscript (The hoole booke of kyng Arthur & of his noble knyghtes of the rounde table) c. 1470 A.D. William Caxton’s first printing 1485 A.D.
+William Morris: “The Defence of Guenevere,” “King Arthur’s Tomb,” “Sir Galahad, A Christmas Mystery,” “The Chapel in Lyoness,” & “Near Avalon” (The Defence of Guenevere and Other Poems) 1858 A.D.
+Alfred, Lord Tennyson: “The Coming of Arthur,” “Gareth & Lynette,” “Lancelot and Elaine,” “The Holy Grail,” “The Last Tournament,” “Guinevere,” “The Passing of Arthur,” (Idylls of the King) 1856-1885 A.D. & “The Lady of Shalott” 1842 A.D.

No Mabinogion?

Tennyson is [probably the best writer to ever deal with the subject matter, so I'd go with him.

Yes, I just called it by its more appropriate name, the Red Book of Hergest and White Book of Rhydderch (Peniarth 4 & 5). "Mabinogion" is actually a name derived from an error, and the modern collection by that name consists of the LLyfr Gwyn ("White Book") and Llyfr Coch ("Red Book") and the Peniarth 6 fragment. The only Arthurian story in the Mabinogion collection is the Culhwch and Olwen hero-quest

>They're not playing chess, they're discussing astrological constalations
thats hnefatafl, bro. thanks for the reccomendation.

I hadn't even noticed that abomination before. Who decided that was an acceptable guide? 20th-century fantasy, Spenser (basically useless for Arthurian purposes), and Pyle? I should make my own up.

yeah, never listen to /sffg/

Pardon ignorance on matter. Merely literary enthusiast and did not know differentiation hence my questioning.

>Canon

ahahahhaahhaahahhahahahaha

Attached: IMG_1915.jpg (305x499, 60K)

thank you for the thorough answer.

when do you watch the animes

do it faggot

to fully understand arthurian literature you must first 100% runescape

I don't get it. Isn't King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table a single book for children?
Pardon mine ignorance. I haven't read anything related to King Arthur.

Is Tolkien's 'Gawain and the Green Knight' worth reading?

Thanks for the reading list. I'm extremely interested in this subject since I've been reading this (pic related).

Its a really well written history book about King Arthur's times and ancient British history. I'm up to the war with the Romans and its so much more inspiring than the nonsense on the history channel depicting Britons as barbarians.

Attached: 1915940.jpg (312x475, 39K)

>Is Tolkien... worth reading?

Always

No, it's a large intricate body of work spanning centuries and many countries and languages. "The Matter of Britain" was one of the three great story-cycles in the medieval world (along with the Matter of France, which concerned the legends of Charlemagne, and the Matter of Rome, which included material derived from or inspired by classical mythology. Arthurian literature is the most important part of the Matter of Britain, and it fills several functions: patriotic definition of cultures and countries, connecting of classical myth and history and Christian legends and themes with medieval society, justification for divine right of kings, explorations of chivalry and how men and women should act and live, and many other things. At its worst, the stories are grand adventures, full of action and humor. At their best, they can be amazing meditations on how to reconcile violence, chivalry, loyalty to crown and king, and the Christian life and virtues that call for peace and mercy. It's great: grab Malory, or even Pyle, since you haven't read any of the tales, and go from there to the rest.

The problem is, with some exceptions like Chretien, the genre is more often at it's worst than at it's best, due to its prolixity and piling of loosely linked episode on loosely linked episode. There's just too much unselected material to motivate the plot or provide for thematic development. Even in a Chretien's hands, it's still a basically childish form.

There's a reason we discuss the Iliad here and not the Vulgate Cycle. If you're interested in Northern European heroic works, I would recommend the Eddas or the Tain over Arthurian stuff.

probably the fuse