Previous Threads:

Attached: 1231563.jpg (318x318, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/ClassicTextAdventureMasterpiecesofInfocomMacintosh
clarkesworldmagazine.com/green_04_14_reprint/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for sanderfag a hack

I couldn’t finish his third stormlight book

Attached: Comfy comfort literature.jpg (1141x2048, 504K)

If I read this next what would I be in for?

Attached: 04200A90-94EF-4AEC-8D55-B17AA7EED7DD.jpg (316x475, 60K)

Don't fall for the chink meme.

Went to amazon to read the plot description and...
>Product description
"Wildly imaginative, really interesting." ―President Barack Obama (King Nigger) on The Three-Body Problem trilogy
Never mind then.

- very sino-centric
- not well translated
- dull protag
+ amazing concepts
+ nice historical sections
+ leads to excellent series

it's basically modern, 'golden-age'-esc scifi from a Chinese perspective. read it for sure my guy, even if it rubs you the wrong way power through it for The Dark Forest, which is bonkers good

Webnovels are novels too

why is heinlein so shit?

As great as they all are, Night Watch is the best Vimes book by a long shot.

Night Watch is the best Pratchett book period.

Who hurt you?
Were you bullied by Afro Americans in school?
Did you walk in on your mom getting donkey dicked by a black guy?
Did a black guy take your sister's virginity before you could?
Did your dad admit he is a sissy faggot and ran off with a "bull"?
Did blacks knock your books out your hand at school?

What is this pent up frustration and Freudian want, that makes you mindlessly lash out in a fantasy and sci-fi thread about the skin colour of someone else.

Monstrous Regiment would like a word.

I want to write a Novel that at the end of the day is slightly different, more nihilistic tone than the rest of the novels that would come after it. And I don't know how people would react to it. Could it be done?

Attached: meiling.jpg (926x1200, 193K)

Anyone hear or read The Night Land?

So it's sci-fi fantasy written in 1910 or something, it takes place millions of years in the future, one of the first literary uses of the concept of an arcology. Humanity exists in two giant metal pyramid arcologies. Every extinction event has already happened. The sun is extinguished, the moon crashed into the earth eons ago, everyone lives in a giant crack in the earth's crust where it's semi-warm and geothermal energy still radiates. Extra dimensional beings that devour souls surround the arcology, edging closer on a geological time line. The books theme is courage in the face of entropy, basically.

However, it's written in the worst possible prose ever and the majority of the book is a classic knight on a quest story line and it's tedious. Amazing setting, though. The knight is like a psychic chain-axe Beowulf astronaut dude though.

The fan fiction associated with it is top-notch though.

It inspired a lot of Lovecraft's writing, he gave it rave reviews but it's obscure in modern times. It's free on Gutenberg.

Try it.
I'll have to check it out.

redpill me on R. A. Lafferty

crypto jew. with a jew agenda.

Forgot the metal af cover art.

Attached: nightland001.jpg (1600x1200, 1.47M)

There's also a "translated" edition from a few years back if one doesn't like the dialogueless prose of the first one, where like 95% of the paragraphs start with some variation of "and" followed by a first person description. Honestly it kinda reads like a young child breathlessly describing a trip to the woods or something.

>and then I saw a big slug and it was yellow and it crawled down a branch

Yeah that is The Night Lands: A Story Retold, it was written in the 90's or something and is supposed to imitate the style of 1950's sci-fi novels.

The original is fine, once you get used to the pesudo-archaic language it's easy to read. Much of the book is filler "Hark, I hid in the bushes by the fire-pit and took once a water pill and made a broth of mine nutrition capsule, ect, ect, ect" it's okay to skim through. The fan-fiction which some has been published is written in a modern style and it's very good, if you like sci-fi or fantasy.

What's some urban fantasy to veer me away from consuming VNs like Fate/Stay Night

my novel

interactive fiction.
go play zork.

>Telling lies is second nature to Casey Clemens, whether she's talking to strangers on national television or to her mother on the phone. Casey's got a cushy Hollywood condo, an efficient cleaning lady and a rich boyfriend (nevermind that he's married). When Casey feels dissatisfied she fantasizes: about winning an Oscar, about finding real love or about her childhood hero, King Arthur. It feels like an acting career, sort of, until the day before Casey's 40th birthday when she loses everything she never cared about, falls through a gap in time, and lands in the 6th century war camp of King Arthur himself. He mistakes her for a wizard and takes her in. But as she finds her feelings warming to him she also finds enemies. War is fast approaching, and the Dark Ages are a perilous time for an actress with an honesty problem. That is, if she wants to make it back to the 21st century alive. Not that she could if she wanted to. Not that she wants to.

Attached: 41bKXpno0SL.jpg (333x500, 26K)

his novel

>see a book
>get slightly interested in it
>see the author is a female
>lose all interest and disregard the book
Anybody else do this?

No

No, because I always read the author's name before the title.

Once you've played Zork go play Trinity. archive.org/details/ClassicTextAdventureMasterpiecesofInfocomMacintosh

I'm enjoying them all a whole lot so i'll look forward to it.

I would argue you won't get the most out of Night Watch until you've read at least a few other Vimes books. They're all great though.

I avoid most female authors and can't really take them seriously. They seem to churn out some of the most garbage novels I've ever read in my life at a higher ratio then men. Obviously there are outliers, but those are pretty rare.

yeah i'm slowly going trough the different story lines apart from Rincewind's. One Death book here then maybe a Witches book there, so i'm planning on going in order trough the story lines just not necessarily one book after an other.

If you haven't read it yet, The Truth has my -ing favorite one-book character in the series.

hmmm the Industrial Revolution is one story line i haven't started but the premise of The Truth sounds quite interesting. Gotta say of the starter books in the different series probably his strongest ones are Guards Guards and The Wee Free Men, both Mort and Equal Rites still feel pretty rough around the edges.

What are your opinions on Memory, Sorrow and Thorn?

Yeah, that's fair. It's been years but Equal Rites isn't quite as memorable as some of the others.

i like the homely tone of the beginning in the mountains and Granny slowly teaching Esk the craft but it gets a bit dull once she makes the journey to the city. Guess that's why I like TWFM so much considering it keeps the pastoral setting and feel for most of the story.

I want to write a fantasy novel about a character that gradually goes from decent human being to a full on tyrant. But I feel like there are tons of those now.

Doesn't mean you can't put your own spin on it. One great example is the Bartimaeus Trilogy, if you don't mind YA.

Attached: a girls und panzer happy miho.jpg (512x512, 49K)

Just because someone is a tyrant doesn't mean they're a bad person.

>Monstrous Regiment would like a word.
Pretty sure you and me are the only people on earth who think that

Doesn't make us wrong, now does it Private Parts!?

I first read it when I was like 12 and missed every single joke in the book lol

Go reread it then

That's the spin I want to go for. Well I suppose we'll see how it turns out.

I haven't gotten around to reading her stuff yet, but everything I've read about her and reviews for her work leads me to believe Leigh Brackett is the only female fantasy/sci-fi author worth reading.

Do the opposite and tell grimderp to go fuck itself.

yeah I think the trope is called Good is not Nice, and i'ts pretty understandable like if someone has to do questionable stuff to ensure the safety of the people

I thought the previous book was better, but this is still a solid enough entry in the series.

Attached: darkworld.jpg (628x824, 199K)

Is Left Hand of Darkness actually good? Just picked it up and Le Guin's rambling introduction is cringy.

I'm going to give my protagonist is Veeky Forums amazonian love interest and there's nothing you can do about it.

>Veeky Forums amazonian love interest
sounds good to me

Jokes on you friend that is my fetish.

Comfy, but kinda slow paced

Attached: b4639b6adf0aed8e46feeddf495b1999.jpg (915x1500, 252K)

user, I require of you contrition, for Cherryh exists.

don`t read it, heroin is easier to quit

Women should be banned from writing

Reading introductions is rarely a good idea. It's a good book, especially for the time it's written, and that's why it won every prize going. I still preferred The Lathe Of Heaven which is a slimmer volume of more straightforward new wave SF, but that's my taste.

Attached: Pontikonisi_Island_05-06-06.jpg (1024x683, 102K)

Generally introductions are either "author thanks their family/friends/editor/whoever" or "Famous Author tells you why the book is important", the former can be skipped and the latter is only for people who don't read SFF fiction but heard about this one book that's actually good.

Why would I want to do anything about it?

Do you mean Urban Fantasy like "Harry Dresden, Wizard Detective" or like "Ankh-Morpork is a big city in a fantasy world"?

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite authors.

>t. incel

Attached: 1520006618237.jpg (960x640, 56K)

In general no, but specifically with SFF, yes. Women seem to churn out a lot of cheap schlock in the genre. All that urban fantasy garbage and SciFi that deals with really ephemeral modern bullshit issues.

Good god there's another out already. That guy can really crank.

The first half was great but after he finds the girl it becomes such a slog to read through and I had to really force myself to finish. I didn't even mind the prose that much and I could just about handle the constant description of stopping for water but when he starts adding in the kisses my sanity reached its limit. It's a shame because he has fascinating ideas.

Women's place are walking onaholes.
This is what sff has taught me over the decades.

>#1 bestselling sf author
Hmm yes I see.

Attached: 1508879546793.gif (307x213, 1.98M)

>Comfy, but kinda slow paced
tadwilliams.txt

Treasure Planet is literally just Book of the New Sun

Prove me wrong

Attached: B0060D0S12_TreasurePlanet_UXDY1._V142675646_RI_SX940_.jpg (940x646, 76K)

If this is how you react to someone saying nigger on the internet, maybe you should go psychoanalyze yourself.

Quit being such a nigger.

Attached: Snapchat-11878883.jpg (1280x720, 330K)

I'm such a tough guy!!! Look we say words on the internet I would never say irl infront of certain personages.

Giving them the attention they so desperately beg for makes you a fool too.

>reading The Dispossessed
>all those fucking weird names
I like Ursula but fuck, just name your characters something Earth related it doesn't matter anyway

I got this from a bargain bin for 1 dollar. Is it worth reading?

Attached: 200px-TadWilliams_Otherland1.jpg (200x327, 26K)

What should I read next if I like
>Wolfe
>Swanwick
>Eschbach
?

Yes it's worth reading but if you've never read that author before be prepared that he likes to write 100 pages when 5 would do.

Wolfe

Attached: 1517945454110.jpg (500x448, 17K)

There isn't any of him left to read, I'm afraid.

Vance.

oh, I've read all the good Vance as well, or at least enough that I don't have much appetite for him at the moment

Non-Dune Herbert. White Plague, Dossadi Experiment, Hellstrom's Hive

Interesting suggestions! The Dosadi Experiment has been on my radar for a while.

You sound pretty rustled.

Why is ubik so good homos?

Blindsight

What should I read after finishing the foundation trilogy ? really liking these books.

Read something completely different. Widen your worldview.

Because it's scary and relatable, also funny at times

>the coin door

Blindsight

Library at Mount Char

BLINDSIGHT

Harlan Ellison encouraged people to push the boundaries
I've read a couple of his anthologies
Medea is a cool world building / shared world exercise
Angry Candy was my favorite of the anthologies I have read
7 Against Chaos is a cool throwback to the Silver Age comics

Attached: 1401239102.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (338x500, 77K)

Gentlemen, I bring you reports from the frontlines.
I have often asked about the possibility of someone someday producing a literate Big Mech story, arguing that the same has been done in the revival of Space Opera
I believe the first example has now been found
Reading Gardner Dozois Years Best SF 26th edition I read the short story Shining Armor by Dominic Green
In it a town on a poor blighted planet threatened by a mining megacorp must revive their Mk 73 Infantry Unit, aka Guardian, a massive roboting war machine and its elderly pilot must go into battle one last time
It contains elements of the 'space western' planetary romance, and parts of the story are reminiscent of High Noon or The Seven Samurai
It was pretty good

Attached: battletech___unseen_moon_by_shimmering_sword-d6jvfsf.jpg (2560x800, 751K)

Oh hey. Its online:
clarkesworldmagazine.com/green_04_14_reprint/

>Just finished War of the Worlds
What should I read next?

Attached: _20180325_144438.jpg (4314x2491, 1.82M)

gormenghast