Odysseus fools the cyclops by saying his name is nobody

>odysseus fools the cyclops by saying his name is nobody
>Nhbody, Nhbdy's tricked me, Nhbody's ruined me!
>other cyclops say if nobody has tricked him to stfu
>other cyclops know what the word nobody means
>main cyclops doesn't
>Homer was a shit-tier pseud writer

Attached: grayons.jpg (122x125, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cal.byu.edu/macfarlane/Odyssey/outis_in_cyclops_cave.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>modern english translation of 3000 year old wordplay
>w-why doesn't this make perfect sense

How does the translation affect this at all? One cyclops doesn't know what a word means, the rest do.

nice selfie op

Does every human know what every word means? Maybe main cyclops was just stupid and tricky Ulysses got lucky as he tends to do throughout his entire life.

It's a pun, Jesus
cal.byu.edu/macfarlane/Odyssey/outis_in_cyclops_cave.pdf

That doesn't explain why Cyclops would think a pun could be a name

Also doesn't explain why the translation effects how he could get tricked, but don't expect logic from le epic greeks apologists

>cal.byu.edu/macfarlane/Odyssey/outis_in_cyclops_cave.pdf
Actually an informative reply. Thanks desu.

You do remember that Odysseus got the cyclops very drunk?

OP BTFO

How is this a contradiction in any way? The cyclops knows what nobody means, he just thinks its Odysseus' name.

why are people like OP allowed to read

The cyclops got himself drunk because he lived alone in a cave and only left to take walks because he felt like he still had to try and connect with the outside world after getting out of a bad relationship with a whore girlfriend who cheated on him but still had the nerve to break up with, and implicate him, instead of taking any goddamned responsibility for herself

The joke is that the cyclops are dumb brutes.

Imagine it were Americans instead of cyclops.

It's funny now isn't it? Hehehe.

Then why didn't he refer to him as "the man who calls himself 'nobody'".

Has OP never seen a Simpsons prank call gag?

>Ulysses

Attached: ulysses-s-grant---general-to-politician.jpg (1200x800, 56K)

It doesn't matter whether the cyclops know it was a name or not. There was nothing they could really do about it without knowing it was Odysseus.

>not joyceposting

Attached: joyce.jpg (800x600, 33K)

Because he's got a hot stick in his eye.

user, are you okay

Because he was drunk and just had a fucking sharp piece of wood driven into his eyeball not a minute ago.

But why would he do that when he had seen Odysseus? Half the play falls apart the moment you think about it so I'm honestly not surprised

OP completely blown the fuck out.

checked and /thread

/thread x2

Oh right, so the fucking Gods, monsters, bags of wind that can sail a ship, witches, people turning into pigs and Odysseus hanging onto a tree for 16 hours and the fucking CYCLOPS, that's all alright. But someone drunk, blind and grossly mutilated about 30 seconds ago not being rational? That's just fucking bollocks!

Comp. I am legion

No what I'm saying it the play roundly and routinely doesn't even bother to follow its own internal logic, PLUS nothing that the other Greeks have shown. And not only that but how would the Greeks know about a Cyclops anyway? Like I understand the play perfectly, and that's mainly the reason I think it's so weak and hardly deserving of the classic label

You've got to be trolling at this point.

>how would the Greeks know about a Cyclops anyway

Leaving out the fact they don't exist outside of bad pregnancies and the Greeks themselves made up the fucking myths, why wouldn't they? I don't get the logic.

Dr. Polyphemus, I'm nobody

>I don't get the logic.
Because there is none, if the Greeks were so scared of Cyclops, all Poseidon had to do the entire 20 years was send a Cyclop to kill Odysseus. But he doesn't

Poseidon wasn't allowed to kill Odysseus.