According to his classmate (and later secretary) Louis Bourrienne, Napoleon read avidly from an early age...

>According to his classmate (and later secretary) Louis Bourrienne, Napoleon read avidly from an early age. Whenever they had free time at the military school at Brienne:

> [Napoleon] would run to the library, where he read with great eagerness books of history, particularly Polybius and Plutarch. He also especially liked Arrian, but had little taste for Quintus Curtius. (1)

>At the École Militaire in Paris and as a young artillery officer, Napoleon continued to read classical scholars, as well as more recent French and Italian authors. He also read a number of English works in translation. An idea of his favourites might be judged by what he chose to bring with him during a leave of absence in Corsica in 1786-87. His brother Joseph recounts,

> [Napoleon] was then a passionate admirer of Jean-Jacques [Rousseau]; … a fan of the masterpieces of Corneille, Racine and Voltaire. He brought the works of Plutarch, Plato, Cicero, Cornelius Nepos, Livy and Tacitus, translated into French; and those of Montaigne, Montesquieu and Raynal. All of these works filled a trunk larger than the one that contained his toiletries. I don’t deny that he also had the poems of Ossian, but I do deny that he preferred them to Homer. (2)

Attached: napoleon-bonaparte.jpg (275x308, 23K)

>Napoleon soon parted ways with Rousseau, but his admiration for Ossian continued throughout his life. He even reads Ossian in Napoleon in America. Ossian’s cycle of epic poems was published by the Scottish poet James Macpherson beginning in 1760. Though Macpherson claimed the material originated from ancient Gaelic sources, many – including Samuel Johnson – criticized the work as a forgery, written by Macpherson himself.

>When Napoleon learned, on St. Helena, that the wife of British Admiral Sir Pulteney Malcolm hailed from Scotland, he asked her if she knew Ossian’s poems.

> [Napoleon] said he admired them very much, particularly Darthula, and inquired if the controversy about their authenticity was decided; and whether Macpherson had really written them. He laughed on her replying with quickness, that Macpherson was not capable of writing them. She said the Highland Society had done everything possible to investigate and had proved their authenticity beyond a doubt…. She said [the poems] had been more admired on the Continent than in England. He exclaimed with energy: ‘It was I, – I made them the fashion. I have been even accused of having my head filled with Ossian’s clouds.’ (3)

Attached: Ossian_Singing.jpg (688x809, 320K)

>Napoleon’s appetite for reading books continued as he rose in power. In 1798, about to depart on the Egyptian campaign, he gave Bourrienne a list of books he wanted in his camp library. These included works in Sciences and Arts (e.g., Treatise on Fortifications), Geography and Travels (e.g., Cook’s Voyages), History (e.g., Thucydides, Frederick II), Poetry (e.g., Ossian, Tasso, Ariosto), Novels (e.g., Voltaire, Héloïse, Goethe’s Sorrows of Young Werther and 40 volumes of “English novels”), and Politics and Morals (the Bible, the Koran, the Vedas, etc.). (4)
>In 1800, Napoleon appointed Louis Ripault, an antiquarian who was a member of the Egyptian expedition, as his personal librarian. When Ripault proved to be too liberal, he was replaced in 1804 by an elderly Italian historian, Carlo Denina, author of The History of the Revolutions of Italy, which Napoleon had read as a student. In 1807, Denina was succeeded by the librarian Antoine-Alexandre Barbier.
>Napoleon expected his librarian to be on call at all hours to read to him, to report on new books, to find sources of information on particular subjects, and to summarize content. Dissatisfied with the camp libraries formed for his use, in July 1808 Napoleon dictated from Bayonne instructions for Barbier to create a purpose-built travelling library.

> " The Emperor wants a portative library of thousand volumes in 12mo., printed in good type, without margin, and composed as nearly as possible of 40 volumes on religion, 40 of epics, 40 of plays, 60 of poetry, 100 of novels, 60 of history, the remainder, to make up the 1,000, of historical memoirs. The religious works are to be the Old and New Testament, the Koran, a selection from the works of the Fathers of the Church, works respecting the Arians, Calvinists, a Mythology, &c. The epics are to be Homer, Lucan, Tasso, Telemachus, the Henriade, &c. (5)"

Attached: Jaffa-by-Gros.jpg (3888x2916, 1.82M)

Shots fired at Milton

>[While on the way to St Helena] On seeing an Englishman reading Milton’s Paradise Lost on board the Northumberland, the ship that conveyed him to exile, Napoleon reportedly said,

>"Your British Homer lacks taste, harmony, warmth, naturalness. Read again the poet of Achilles. Devour Ossian. Those are the poets who lift up the soul, and give to man a colossal greatness. (10)"

quite right

Milton BTFO

>‘It was I, – I made them the fashion. I have been even accused of having my head filled with Ossian’s clouds.’ (3)
Shut up Napoleon, it was Goethe not you

Damn what a patrician

Napoleon shits on his brothers work

>It was while he was on St. Helena that Napoleon read his brother Lucien’s Charlemagne:
>" What ability; what time and labour; thrown away! Twenty thousand verses – some few of them good verses – but the whole colourless, aimless, and resultless. (14)"

A steward to Napoleon on St Helena

>"The Emperor was infinitely fond of reading. The Greek and Roman historians were often in his hands, especially Plutarch. … He often read Rollin. The history of the middle ages, modern history, and particular histories occupied him only casually. The only religious book which he had was the Bible. He liked to read over in it the chapters which he had heard read in the ruins of the ancient cities of Syria. They painted for him the customs of those countries and the patriarchal life of the desert. It was, he said, a faithful picture of what he had seen with his own eyes. Every time that he read Homer it was with a new admiration. No one, in his view, had known what was truly beautiful and great better than this author; consequently he often took him up again and read him from the first page to the last. The drama had great charms for the Emperor. Corneille, Racine, Voltaire, often had one or two acts of their pieces read aloud. He preferred Corneille to the others, in spite of his imperfections…. Sometimes he would ask for some comedy which he had seen played, and from time to time a piece of poetry, for instance, ‘Vert-Vert’ [by Gresset]. He also took pleasure in reading some parts of Voltaire’s Essai sur les moeurs et l’esprit des nations, as well as some articles from the Dictionnaire Philosophique of the same author. Novels helped him to relax and broke the seriousness of his habitual occupations. Gil Blas, Don Quixote and a small number of others would be read by him. Those of Mesdames de Staël, Genlis, Cottin, Souza, etc. he read over sometimes, but the novels which he could not bear were those of Pigault Lebrun…. He had nearly always under his eyes all the works relative to the military art and the campaigns of the great captains…. It was only by chance that he took up a scientific work; books of this sort were only occasional. (13)"

Attached: napoleone_santelena-H150221122853.jpg (610x445, 61K)

>Mesdames de Staël, Genlis, Cottin, Souza
How often do we hear about these authors today? Really make you think. You don't realize how much the "99% of everything gets forgotten" thing is true until you study history.

Ossian especially is practically a non-entity today. I suppose he's been made obsolete by Yeats but still

I can't even find Souza's wikipedia. The other 3 are all women by the way

Ah right, well no wonder they're forgotten about

Kek. De Stael isn't really forgotten (you're going to encounter her if you study 19th century literature) but the other 3 I had never heard before

>>Napoleon expected his librarian to be on call at all hours to read to him
>to read to him
what a fag

It probably means he would ask for a specific reference and the librarian would track it down. He was a busy guy
Basically an IRL version of google

I do things like get on a horse and say, "The library, and gallop it.

It's official: audiobooks are patrician

lel

>reading

Looks like /pol/ and Veeky Forums have found a common idol.

top kekkerino

Veeky Forums EMPEROR

>tfw Corneille is your ancestor
feels good desu

Whats the best biography on Napoleon? I'm really interested in reading bout him.

Las Cases is interesting, the guy spend a lot of time with Napoleon on Saint Helena to write his book.

Thanx man, would you happen to know of a good version of it? I think i found one but I'm not too sure if its good. Seems like not a lot of print versions are available. Any help would be appreciated.

And thus Napolean was defeated

I've been considering getting Walter Scott's Life of Napoleon. Any anons that can vouch for it?

see:

what an homo

t. Buttblasted Englishmen

Haven't read it but am currently reading Bonaparte by Patrice Gueniffey and it's exceptional so far.

Sorry, I can't help you, I read it in French.

>Even in his own language, [he] had a way of garbling proper nouns; as for foreign words, he pronounced them just as he pleased. Once they left his mouth, whatever way he had pronounced them, they remained forever that, because he had, once and for all, lodged them in his head in that way.

>Count lascases — Since sixt week j learn the Englich and j do not any progress. Six week do fourty and two day. If might have learn fivity word four day I could know it two thusands and two hundred. It is in the dictionary more of fourty thousand; even he could must twinty bout much of tems for know it our hundred and twenty week, which do more two yars. After this you shall agrée that to study one tongue is a great labour who it must do into the young aged.

>plutarch
>arrian
yeah he really liked Alexander a lot

alpha as fuck

>that fucking frenglish
Wow, I suddenly wanna know more about napoleon

Was Napoleon the lightning from the dark clouds, the overman Nietzsche was writing about?

Almost certainly

Yes.

based nappy

If Paradise Lost is not read outloud it is not read

I've listened to it on audio-book, its nothing much. I agree with Napoleon

how did the brit respond to that comment, did he surrender?

Was probably as butthurt as

Is it impossible to appreciate Milton and Homer? what does one gain from throwing all Miltons babys out with the bathwater, you really can read Paradse Lost and not gain anything from it? Did Napolean read it in a french translation?

>Read again the poet of
Ok read it again
>Read again the poet of
Ok read it again, what do you know there is still lots of time left,
>Read again the poet of
I read it 40 more times, ok I will try to read Milton now
>Read again the poet of

I wonder if I would be wrong in saying Paradise Lost is Bachian, (and Beethovinian) and Homers work is Mozartian (and Beethovinian)

>Did Napolean read it in a french translation?

Yes but English translates perfectly to French, its just the other way around thats a problem since French is the more (if not the most) sophisticated language

>I wonder if I would be wrong in saying
yes this is wrong, because the works in question contain styles and qualities of all three, and even all three composers contain style and qualities of each other: then I suppose I was considering where they do differ and really have their signatures.

But yeah I dont know, the Illiad is epic, it is mind blowing, the details and flourish and grandeur and vastness of motion of idea and concept and character from sometimes sentence to sentence. Do we think DFW was heavily influenced by Homer, with all the names and titles?

>Did Napolean read it in a french translation?
>Yes but
ouch, the french language sounds like a river made of vaginas leading up to a waterfall made of politely queefing cunts, and this is just me joking

Upvoted

>t. monolingual monkey

must have been a bad orator, but regardless, the requirement is to read it outloud yourself, to really feel the power of the holyspirt jolt through you

Shut up faggot

so you didnt read it outloud yourself, you cant really have an opinion, was the audiobook in french?

kek no I'm a native English speaker

whats wrong with you?
>where do I begin?
Anywhere youd like

unfairly underrated post

I'm less impressionable than you and have good taste

What is some of the qualities of your good taste?

And what are some ways I am impressionable?

Attached: guy-sleeping-bed-pig-pillow-1362679638q.png (504x448, 378K)

no really, please answer seriously, I am very curious if you are correct, and how certain you are you are right in thinking you are certain

There's nothing to be said seriously, I've known all I've read and examined and to you, yourself. Maybe you are right about Milton, who knows but in honesty I did go into him hoping to find the writer I've seen lauded but came out only somewhat not unimpressed. He's good and worth reading I won't deny but he's no Dante

Do you think Dante would have liked Milton more than you?

He'd probably dislike him even more honestly

Ill go into detail, I went into Milton hearing it was this story in which the devil was the protagonist dealing with his downfall, despair and revenge which is such a powerful and seductive premise for a story but in actually reading it Lucifer takes up only a small fraction with the rest featuring a small perspective of Adam and then mostly no one at all. It was all just pure discourse for much of the text, dry cold blooded descriptions about why this or that is the case as if I was reading a theological treatise in language which none too much made up for what was just sincerely unpoetic material. Which is why I do entirely agree with Napoleon "lacks taste, harmony, warmth, naturalness" is totally on point

Ordered a copy of MacPherson's Oissean. I am fascinated why these great men loved him so much and why he's not known at all today