How do I stop subvocalizing?

How do I stop subvocalizing?

Attached: IMG_3068.jpg (800x512, 96K)

start reading out loud

>subvocalizing
I didn't even know people did this until I googled it.

I would say, imagine the scene while you are reading, which is what I do.

This is very hard for very boring novels like anything written by Tom Clancy who has characters endlessly dialoguing about dumb shit forever and provides zero context in the environment they are in.

>sub
>Freudian slip
>want to be dominated
>by mommy
>fuck you dad
Cuck

Attached: 1520977635838.png (758x631, 60K)

Subvocalizing is required to appreciate poetry. Why would you not want to subvocalize?

When I learned Attic Greek, I said fuck the pronunciations and just learned to use symbol recognition. It makes for very dull reading and takes the beauty away.

That's not a Freudian slip.

Look at the words individually.

>reading through symbols, not sounds
Seems damn awesome (unironically)

it's very tempting with Ancient Greek, because the pronunciation is extremely difficult (at least as an English-speaker). My friend did the same thing with Latin, though I'm not sure how difficult that language is in comparison

Xanax

>subvocalizing
listen to music while reading (instrumental/background stuff

read the images/ideas not the words

If you are subvocalizing it's probably because you can't engage with the text. Either you're bored by it or something is distracting you. Subvocalization can help force your mind onto the text, but really it's less productive than simply stopping until you can read it properly. I never subvocalize when I enjoy what I read, I lose myself in the writing and ignore everything around me. If you've never had the experience of vividly visualizing what you read then you've probably never really connected with anything you've read.

>If you've never had the experience of vividly visualizing what you read then you've probably never really connected with anything you've read.

tfw

Subvocalizing is required you nihilist.
Fuck off, Platonist.

kek

unless you're an academic or lawyer then there is no point

>Platonism is bad even though it encompasses half of philosophy

Attached: images (1).png (205x246, 5K)

What's wrong with subvocalization?

You can't. The difference is some people subvocalize like a kindergartener reading Clifford the big red dog and others subvocalize like an audiobook played at 4x speed with all the filler words cut out at the lowest possible volume.

Play a simple melody in your mind like Intro - the xx. I never usually subvocalise but if I’m having trouble getting into a book I do this for a while and you eventually forget to do it because you’re ingrained in the book.
I’d say the distraction from you worrying about how you read a book will be a bigger threat to how you read a book than subvocalising as you go

Is subvocalization when writing normal? Sometimes I even move my lips when I'm writing longer texts

this
most of the time it's enough to force yourself read faster
it can be tiring at first (either literally or losing focus) but don't give up
also, feel free to (sub)vocalize dialogues and passages you like ;)

it's not normal but it should be
it makes the text A LOT more readable
i usually just write and then read it aloud (or "subvocalize") as i can't do it while writing

Do you not enjoy the individual sounds of each word? They were picked with deliberation you know

ITT: people mistakenly think that they themselves don't subvocalize and offer OP inane advice

inner reading voice is linked to greater comprehension but i’ve heard of people who don’t anymore. they usually say it makes reading a lot faster. i can’t not subvocalize, everything i read i do that, even instagram captions and clothes tags

I can't believe you pathetic vermin are so self-conscious about your reputation in an anonymous board you actually care about this insignificant shit

Look at the entire paragraphs, subharmonize phillip glass.

>I lose myself in the writing and ignore everything around me
that happened when i was a kid, but not reading anything through my teens must have made me retarded

You don't stop subvocalizing, you just do it faster.

Read in a language that uses ideograms, like Chinese or any language which uses Chinese characters

You'll still subvocalize. Chinese people will have no problem reading a sentence if you swap out a word for a homophone that means something completely different.

>think subvocalizing is actually reading in your mind
>wonder why it's bad because of this thread
>look it up
>it actually means silently uttering words while reading
>kek because I never do that but my friend does when I show him memes and he reads them under his breath

Attached: pM75l65.jpg (1280x720, 279K)

Can confirm. Know Japanese, still subvocalize. In fact, I subvocalize much more than reading English.

Less a "reputation" to uphold amongst anons and more curiosity if there's a way to grow beyond it.

>Does it ever stop? Can I get better comprehension without it? Will I read faster? Does it become a mechanical info-search, or will I still enjoy reading?

If I look like an idiot on the internet for a couple hours, whatever. If my weiner becomes like the Weimar from bangind party-thots, or I impregnate some young, dumb cumslut, that's going to fuck up my reading for the rest of my life.

no, subvocalizers will activate the larynx while they subvocalize, its not speaking under your breath at all

>everyone itt pulling claims out of their ass

Pronouncing Latin correctly is hard as an English speaker as well, largely because English speakers can almost never do the vowels correctly, but think they do. It's because of the lack of pure sounds and the stupid way English is transliterated post GVS.

Ancient Greek is easier than Modern Greek, at least the phoneme inventory shouldn't be too bad for you guys.

I pretty much translate everything into IPA in my head, then pronounce it. Then again I'm a linguist so I guess that's more natural for me than symbolic reading.

I didn't ask for this midnight feel..

Attached: images.jpg (300x278, 11K)

>thinks subvocalizing is something that it actually isn't
>looks it up
>still thinks subvocalizing is something that it actually isn't
absolute state of this board

turn off smartphone. turn off computer. shut the fuck up and read

Black and blue, if you disagree you are literally defective

That is gold and white nigger get your head checked

Get photoshop and check the hexidecimals kid. This is your only warning
*places hand on katana*