Does Veeky Forums find any literary merits in Visual Novels?

Does Veeky Forums find any literary merits in Visual Novels?

Attached: seiba2.jpg (800x600, 77K)

Making people like you read at all.

Not in that one.

No, they're all variations of cliches as to make them relatable to the average NEET

Visual novels are actually expensive in Japan and aren't targeted at NEETs.

Elaborate.

Go look up prices. Longer ones can cost like $100. Video game prices in Japan are exorbitant and they jail people for internet piracy.

Veeky Forums mods are fags, so they purge this thread every time within an hour or so, and given the first couple of replies you've gotten this one would probably be shitposting all the way.

Anyway, the medium definitely has potential, and there are visual novels which are at least partially literary, though they always manage to screw themselves over with ridiculous padding and excessive use of anime cliches.

How do neets in japan entertain themselves then ?
Maybe you can rent the games since they are so expensive.

I recall reading something at one point about how buying and selling used games is more common there, but I don't know much about that.

Manga are pretty cheap, music is affordable, and there's always tv and the legal side of the internet.

Unlimited Blade Works is legitimately amazing. The worst thing about FSN is that you need to go through an inferior route until you reach UBW which is basically a deconstruction of Fate, and the shounen hero protagonists in general.

The only English-translated VN worth reading as a piece of literature is Subahibi.

What about Higurashi?

I mean Umineko

Can't be any better or worse than some of the other stuff people read

Attached: root letter novel.jpg (960x1087, 256K)

VNs are great because romance in actual novels sucks ass, and seems overwhelmingly written by women.
I'm not aware of a better medium to encounter the deep cleansing experience after getting drawn into a good fictional romance.

Attached: 1517769630988.jpg (500x711, 70K)

No but i can't read Japanese though and they're mostly translated by dumb amateur weebs in the first place.

>Subahibi.

Can someone tell me what they see in this?

Almost forgot to mention that you go to Lafcadio Hearn's museum in Root Letter too

Attached: Lafcadio_Hearn_Memorial_Museum.jpg (960x544, 165K)

I'd like to know too. it looks interesting and well written, but I want to know if it's actually good before spending 100+ hours playing through it.

Is Root Letter the name of the VN ?

so is anime, doesn't mean they're not targeted at NEETs.

Have you ever seen what a fanbase Umineko has ?
It is worth it.

Many recommend to play the original first and then the PS3 version with the voice acting and new art.

Take your time, it's a trip.

meant for obv

meme philosophy, 'dude, solipsism, you can't know nuttin so just live a wonderful life like Wittgenstein lmao', a few trippy over the top scenes in which all kinds of metaphysical entities are namedropped and the ever-popular 'these separate characters were actually different personalities of a single person all along'-twist. It is entertaining though.

Expensive things require people with money to buy them. The people buying anime Bluray box sets that cost $500 are adults with jobs, believe it or not.

yes, though it gets stylized as √Letter.

Its really comfy, most of the game is just promotion of the prefecture, its local history and food etc.
The prefecture's tourism board is actually mentioned in the credits.
Its also an adult cast if that matters to you, there are flashbacks to high school though. The protagonist is trying to find a girl he was pen pals with in high school, then murder mystery stuff happens.

Attached: 2016-12-14-150817.jpg (960x544, 99K)

ther probably is some underground black market dvds/br rips, like there used to be for VHS.

sounds good.
I'll definitely give it a try.

You're not even making sense. You're talking about the audience that the producers of the content are targeting. They aren't making money from black market copies and piracy. They make money from people buying their actual products. The people who will actually buy from them is their target audience.

They are pure aesthetic. They only excel in the combination of narrative(not prose itself), visuals and especially music. That's why they can induce real feelings and crying from the nerds that read them.

They still are an art-form of no substance, but form and the few ones that are good, really do excel at form. Also there's a big emotional pull when you are reading 40 hours of a thing, so there;s a small Stockholm Syndrome to it.

Most of the highly regarded ones are too fucking long. The absolute padding is insane.

>deconstruction of Fate, and the shounen hero protagonists in general.
Deconstruction is the buzzword of choice when the anime community try's to give legitimacy to anime and surrounding media as an art form, as if subverting tropes and providing any psychological analysis of a character is the greatest thing possible, even though it's often just the same insipid shit.
These things can obviously have literary merit, but being a deconstruction is worthless, and often means the thing will hit the same tired beats that have been hit by almost all other so called deconstructions for the last 20+ years.

How though?

They're generally long, so end up playing the same insipid tracks over and over again with the same backgrounds ect.

I don't think you know how dvd ripping works.
Of course the companies don't sell rips...
Why would they? They make profit out of Otakus and collectors that care about the owning the real deal. A person that is solely interested in consuming the media won't spend as much money.

That's where the stockholm syndrome comes in.

>They make profit out of Otakus and collectors that care about the owning the real deal.
Correct. That is the audience they are selling too. In other words they are selling to people who can afford to buy the actual thing. Glad you agree with me.

no

Attached: 20161217080938_1.jpg (1920x1080, 387K)

Nah. They can be fun though (or at least i found them fun a few years ago) don't really read them anymore though. The only ones who will try to tell you they have literary merit are JOP memers or people who don't read literature in the first place.

Attached: 1393485554446.jpg (800x600, 97K)

Attached: 1507906164109.jpg (1920x1080, 240K)

Attached: 1518901306170.jpg (1920x1080, 312K)

Attached: 1518901446536.jpg (1920x1080, 295K)

have we reached peak literature?

Attached: rules of nature.png (1280x720, 891K)

There are bland ones, just as there are bland books. The really ambitious ones definitely have merit though.

Attached: Umineko dvd box.jpg (424x600, 332K)

Someone should make one of those joke reading charts for FSN. After all you'd have to start with the Sumerians and read Arthurian legend to fully understand the references, among other things.

Books are a dying medium. There's literally no reason not to include visuals and sounds to your stories these days. If Hemingway was alive today, he would be writing visual novels, not books.

Why wouldn't you just go the whole way and go purely audiovisual? Visual Novels are compromise that don't really have the strength of either. At least anything that has produced thus far in the medium.