Is English a good major to take for pre law?

Is English a good major to take for pre law?
Any lawyers on here? What did you study for undergrad?

Attached: law-school.jpg (640x480, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phil.ufl.edu/ugrad/whatis/LSATtable.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

iirc, physics and philosophy majors score the best on the LSAT, followed by various STEM.
>I could be wrong

Quick google search has English fairly high up, do what makes you happy desu

Depends on what practice of law; I'd imagine you ought to do poli sci. But you could be doing a different type of law.

It doesn't matter what you choose to study as an undergrad, just pick something you like and will succeed in.

You'll probably change your major at least once anyway.

English is a dumping ground for those who can't hack it elsewhere. If you must major in literature, consider classics or German. But philosophy is a good idea if you're smart enough.

I did change my major. A few times from biomedical engineering to mechanical engineering to deciding I don't even want to be an engineer and hate math to choosing law, what I've always wanted.

What even does a philosophy major even do? I know nothing about it

>What even does a philosophy major even do?

Read philosophy, what type of dumb question is this

Classics is flooded with insufferable nu-male midwits, I'd strongly recommend against it. At least in English you might get laid

You know what I meant, fucker.
I meant is it mostly a lot of writing? Do they do debates or anything like that

Does the language requirement not filter them out?

It really doesn't from what I've seen. They're probably slightly smarter on average but they're the same BO smelling losers you find in a CS major. Not interesting people

no verbal iq is significantly easier to fake or inflate than mathematical or spatial reasoning skills (tho asians can fake those with lots of studying)

There's some babes in my English classes. Mostly dyke SJW types but some real cuties too.

I'm engaged though, so it doesn't matter. I get laid most days of the week

English would be fine. Honestly, all that matters for law school is that you get good grades in undergrad. Pick something you enjoy and do well at it.

I studied engineering before LS. It's been fine I guess and gave me a good interview topic but I wish I'd studied something more interesting like classics or English lit.

My math background helped with the logic games on the LSAT but anyone can do well on it. If you aren't naturally good at it, there are dozens of practice tests/study guides and you get three tries.

It matters very little what your major is, but there is a reason Philosophy, HIstory and Classics majors score so well on the LSAT. Those fields tend to demand more rigorous ways of thinking than English Literature classes.

Don't know about your school but at mine only like ten out of the 30 or so classes you took had to be part of your major so you should be able to study literature plenty even if it's not your major.

Can you tell me more about law school and working as an attorney? Without divulging personal info or anything
Where did you attend?

OP here.
I'm not talking about English Lit, I mean like a BS/BA in English with writing studies emphasis instead of creative writing or literature

I went to a lower T14 and went to work in a biglaw corporate group.

Law school is fine and people who complain about it are idiots who probably won't make it as a lawyer. All you have to do is read and pay attention. The most useful thing I brought to law school was a love of reading/language and an ability to focus and unpack dense text. If you are on here because you actually like to read serious lit and aren't just here for the shitposting, you should have a serious leg up on the competition. Work hard your first year because that's all that matters when it comes to getting a good job. Also, don't go to a shitty school. If you are outside the top ~20 schools (many would narrow that to T15 since those are the "national" schools + UT which has a lock on the Texas biglaw market), you better have a good plan and be attending mostly on scholarship.

Working as a lawyer is pretty cool. We are the highest paid professional writers by a huge margin. Sure, sometimes it gets monotonous (not too often yet since I'm still a junior associate) but no job is immune from that. If you go the biglaw route, you'll be surrounded by bright people with interesting hobbies, including many literature lovers. Biggest downside is the hours but nobody is going to pay you $180,000 + bonus right out of school to work 40 hour weeks.

If I'm a " splitter" and have a lower GPA bit good LSAT what are my t15 chances?
My GPA took a hit when I was struggling through math classes I thought I needed for engineering before I changed my major

How big of a splitter? What are your numbers? Are you black? I was a splitter too but had a very high LSAT.

not great, you need LSAT scores, im thinkint about an heroing if i don’t get into target Law school desu

Also a biglaw lawyer and I completely agree with this guy I have a fairly unique resume, so forgive me for being scant on details, but I double majored in English lit and a business-related field.

At most universities, you get out of an English degree what you put into it. Many of the humanities professors are constitutionally opposed to grading/judging their students, which makes it incredibly easy to coast to an English degree with little effort. This is what gives the field such a bad reputation. However, if you actually put in some effort and seek out challenging courses, the study of literature can be quite rigorous, requiring actual critical thinking. In my experience, many of the "hard" majors largely just require huge amounts of rote memorization, and so require a lot of work but don't necessarily demand much in the way of critical thinking.

Honestly, you probably just need to read a lot of dense texts to set yourself up to succeed on the LSAT, in law school, and as a lawyer. Any major where you do that will suffice.

Biglaw sucks in some ways, but that's the tradeoff for landing a 6-figure gig with essentially no professional experience, which is what I did (I went to a T3 law school). Most people only do it for a few years anyway and jump into something with a better perceived tradeoff. The people that bitch abot law (which is perhaps the majority) are generally from fairly privileged backgrounds and resent that they can't just cruise into wealth like some of their friends.

I'm looking to be at 3-3.3 when I'm finished. I'm still a sophomore so I've got time.
I was at 2.4 because of some 5 credit math classes I bombed before changing

I'm fully expecting to score high on the LSAT, logic games and puzzles have always been a hobby of mine, part of why law has always interested me

You'll have a shot at UVA, Michigan, GT, UT but won't be guaranteed in at any of them. Shoot for 170+ and retake if you don't get it. Also, there is a huge difference between a 3 and a 3.3 for law school applications so get it as high as possible.

When you get closer, go to mylsn.info and play with the search to see where you stand.

Forgot Northwestern (but probably not without working for a couple years after undergrad).

I'm a veteran too, was in the army for a while so I'm a little older too.
Does that help with my personal statement and getting in?

Dude I hope so.

It will help a little on the margins but don't expect any major bumps.

You going the same route?

Yep. Finishing up my English degree next year.

Applied to anywhere yet? What are your plans?

Most classes are just weekly/bi-weekly lectures where a few papers (and a midterm and final, which often times are also papers) determine your entire grade. Some classes will have teaching assistants (TAs) who grade your work instead. Most philosophy majors just have to show up to their classes and don't even have to do any actual work for 80% of the semester since their grade is almost entirely based on a few papers. Paying attention to lectures can be important but for some professors you can just BS or do the readings on your own to prepare yourself for assignments. Participation matters more in some classes than others, but usually if you just go to office hours or show some basic level of interest you'll be fine. GPA and LSAT are 90% of law school admissions so pick easy classes for As if you have to (just don't make it too obvious, admissions officers aren't dumb).

I would imagine that philosophy would be the best one, as long as you focus on philosophy of law.

Do some schools take post-undergrad experience more seriously than others?

And what do we mean by experience? Do they mean working in the legal field or just work experience?

Law student here. I would unironically suggest psychology. Your knowledge can be applied in so many areas of law. English is a good pre law major though.

Work experience does not need to be in the legal field. Most schools only care a little but NW has a reputation for giving it much more weight, especially if you are a splitter. I think most people refer to post-undergrad experience but maybe military would fit too.

Strange and not good advice. Where is it exactly that you think knowledge of psychology would be helpful 1) as a law student or 2) as a lawyer?

More strange advice. Study philosophy if you want to. It could be helpful in building the thinking skills applicable to the study of law. I have no idea why you think studying the philosophy of law would be helpful in law school or as a practicing attorney. (Unless you think you are going to land some sweet law prof. position. In which case, you're an idiot.)

because phil majors are highly preferred due to having logic training and higher test scores you fucking idiot

If you’re going to get a useless undergrad major, I think the best would be philosophy. I did a philosophy and mathematics double major and my logical flow has greatly improved while speaking off-the-cuff

phil.ufl.edu/ugrad/whatis/LSATtable.html
English isn't rated too bad, but LSAT scores favour people who study more intellectually rigorous and logic-based humanities like philosophy and economics, or STEM subjects like physics/math and engineering

What school do you go to?

English is only useless if you don't know how to market it or what kinds of jobs to look for

Lol no, no admissions officer in the entire country is going to give you extra points for having a philosophy major. I can also testify first hand that nobody at a major law firm will care when it comes to hiring.

You're readiing comprehension is clearly quite poor. I'd advise against law school for you.

Lol, I appreciate the irony of my own typo in that last sentence so feel free to mock away.

Two of the current law students I know both did English. I know three current law students; the other did philosophy.

Here in my 3rd world country, the equivalent of an LSAT is given right after finishing high school, and on the basis of your scores, and only your scores — you are ranked compared to everyone else — you get admission in the colleges, which are also ranked by you in your application before the exam.

The degree is an integrated 5 years course which includes undergrad BA and Llb. I'm currently working on giving the exam in a few months.

I studied abroad in law school and foreign lawyers are crazy to me. Most would be eaten alive at the higher levels here in the US. Of course, that impression is based on the near-graduation students. I have worked with one lawyer at my firm before and he was perfectly competent but was also 10 years into his practice.

I'm a midlevel litigation associate in biglaw and I also totally agree with this: .

Your major may help you develop some useful law school skills, but that's really of secondary importance: the main thing is to major in something you will do well at (thus presumably something you like and are actually interested in). This is because in pretty much every conceivable situation your GPA is going to be far more important than your major, the exception being you may need to have studied STEM if you want to practice certain types of intellectual property law.

Agreed, very few foreign lawyers I've worked with are on the same level as U.S. biglaw attorneys.

Crazy that there are so many biglaw lawyers on here. Would be interesting to know if any of US have met before. Trying to think how we could narrow things down without giving away too much info.

Anyone here non-NYC?

Should make sure you include studying Latin if you go down the English + law route. English words in law are generally based on Latin terminology. Not necessary but depending on how well you want to understand law and depending on where you go it may be useful.

Won't help you even a little in law but study Latin anyway because it's good for you as a Veeky Forumsizen.

>pre law
it doesnt matter, study what you like, because you never will again
t. lawfag

Seems like a terrible system.
What shithole are you from?