Why does Veeky Forums hate him?

why does Veeky Forums hate him?

Attached: 10428493_683492461720908.jpg (460x276, 24K)

Because he's popular.

we don't though

uhm.. we don't.

As a poet he's pretty meh

as a detective writer "killer gorillas, lol, so randum"

I guess Tell Tale Heart and Cask of Amontillado are pretty good

DUDE SUCH PAIN
I HATE MY LIFE MY PARENTS ARE IDIOTS
RAVENS

I like him actually

Because
>honor
and not
>honour

European writers and critics, particularly the French, have long considered him one of the greatest writers. For some reason American critics are harder on him.

his contemporaries make seem like "meh" by comparison

>For some reason American critics are harder on him.

Unlike the French they actually know the English language and know how awful his prose is.

He isn't as exotic to us.

He is unironically a great writer.

Points for:

>prolific
>original
>wide vocabulary
>shitty personal life (who doesn't love that in a writer?)
>remembered for decades after

Points against:
>sentimental poetry

Long story short, Poe is one of /our/ guys.

also

>invented modern horror

Lovecraft and friends are just further interpretations of Poe

liberals and women like him. We hate liberals and women. Make the math yourself, idiot

Indeed. And also, Arthur Conan Doyle owes a great debt of gratitude to Poe for writing Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Mysteries of Mary Roget.

Not a woman. Not a liberal. I like him.

White nationalist and masculine like me, brethren?

/pol/ is that way, take your shit out of here.

this

I mean Beudelaire translated him into French, and Cortázar into Spanish, so he got all the help the needed lol

>We
lol

>we

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 10.14.30 PM.png (210x248, 73K)

Most of his short stories are basically the same plot over and over again (a dude loves a girl, the girl dies young, the guys "woe is me", some supernatural shit ensues). Even his most famous poem, The Raven, follows the same narrative structure mentioned above. That might put off some people.

Personally, I kinda like him. William Wilson was a cool doppelganger story; and The Mask of The Red Death just resonates deeply with me, it gives off a mysterious oniric feeling.

At any rate, some Poe is taught in most schools, especially in the Anglosphere, so people of Veeky Forums just find him too "entry level". We all strive for obscure gems so that we can brag to each other about our sophisticated tastes.

>Lovecraft and friends
>friends
People you talk to in a newsletter/editorial paper are not friends.

>We all strive for obscure gems so that we can brag to each other about our sophisticated tastes.
Yeah, though you guys are like /mu/ in that
>popular release from the 1990s?
counts as non entry-level and sophisticated.

>too "entry level"
Victor Hugo suffers from the same stigma in France. It's always very hip to say you despise Hugo. Very educated.

literal high school core. you might as well have just come out with it that you haven't read anything at all by him and therefore have no grounds for an opinion on his works.

>sentimental poetry
>a bad thing
jesus how unfeeling are you, you degenerate troglodyte

I memorized the entirety of The Raven for a recital in my 8th grade drama class. Even acted it out a bit. I slurred/stuttered
>... by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted ...
but managed to recover. I also recited Jabberwocky, Annabel Lee, The Road Less Traveled, and several other less memorable poems.

I enjoy Poe's body of work. Landor's Cottage ranks among my favorite pieces of literature. So, that being said, I have nothing against him.

Same reason we hate Hemingway. Style, but repetition for the entire drive. Gems to be found, ibut what’s the point when they’re all the same things despite different paint jobs.

I also noticed this about Dostoevsky. What do you expect idiots, it's the same author.

Just coming here to post that he was translated by Baudelaire, Fernando Pessoa, Julio Cortazar, Machado de Assis and Clarice Lispector.

The same happened to Philip K. Dick.

So why did all those guys like him so much to translate him if his prose isn't good?

Maybe they're right and you are wrong.

fellow /pol/ poster! i used to like him but you showed the errors of my way.

Thats what I'm thinking

Ligeia is one of the pieces that made me want to write.

Too edgy for every era's standards
Literally everyone and their mums read him in highschool so i guess that gives you an idea, he is good for starters but nothing too deep or hard.

I love some of his stories, but most of them fall in the "shut up meg" tier

>we
collectivist cattle