I keep postponing reading it. Since it's the best novel of all time according to Veeky Forums...

I keep postponing reading it. Since it's the best novel of all time according to Veeky Forums, how do you cope with the fact, that nothing you'll ever read after will be as good? How does it feel reading anything else, when you already got a taste of the pinnacle of literature.

Attached: 51M2zppamsL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (329x499, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A35EEAEE3880943
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its probably misunderstood by most people here who still interpret it as Romantic or heroic.

Anything to deny its ultimate Christian message

It is not the greatest novel of all time

>that nothing you'll ever read after will be as good?
Well people who say that it's the best novel of all time typically are well read so I would imagine that it isn't that much of a problem for them there's also the fact that it is the best novel and not the best piece of literature in absolute (there are also poems, tragedies, nonfiction, etc) and there's also the fact that something better could be written in the future.

>Obviously everyone hates Christian messages because they hate God
>Christians actually think like this

Attached: 1512680565864.jpg (600x585, 68K)

nice strawman.

Then what is?

I'll tell you after you've read every great novel

Well why do you assume people will do "ANYTHING to deny its [The Quixote's] ultimate Christians message"?

i don’t get attached to ephemeral becomings

Attached: 87AD329D-02FB-4FC0-9A32-09493C3874A2.jpg (750x946, 386K)

you're missing two points, mate
1. it's not the best novel of all time according to Veeky Forums, it's the best novel of all time according to everyone
2. it's not that you'll never "read anything better", it's simply that you'll see and feel the resonance of Cervantes' brilliance in each and every fictional tale you ever discover henceforth, and it will be greatly satisfying
looking at Don Quixote as the "ultimate" novel is a BIG mistake. you should look at it as the seed, the prism, the palette of brilliant colors from which an endless array of fantastic exuberance blossomed
all that being said, it's still my favorite book Lol
and yes, the Grossman translation is good even though it is unpretentious

Attached: quixote_grossman.jpg (200x300, 33K)

I already have, so tell me.

*crickets*

he's gonna say Crime and Punishment and it's gonna be really embarrassing but now that i've exposed him he's gonna say Anna Karenina
but now that i've double exposed him he's gonna say Infinite Jest

but now that you've tripled exposed me I'm going to say I'm working on it as we speak.

Attached: 1500044684367.jpg (445x445, 37K)

You're not me

>inb4 he say Moby Dick

We are all one, our membranes and borders merely distiguishing the organelles of a great and tremendous continuum.

That's pretty gay, user

no u

no, us

D:

This.

more lit/phil like this opinion?

that shit doesn't just happen man, it has to be drawn out from chaos. just stay tuned and you may be lucky enough to catch another glimpse

i've taken acid a bunch of times and had this realization of the interconnectedness of everything. I was just hoping to read something more concrete about it.

Looks like it wasn't a strawman after all

Attached: 1496960570338.jpg (374x288, 34K)

Currently reading it.
On it's original since i'm Spanish.
Why is it the best novel ever written?

Being the best is arguable specially if Spanish is not your native tongue,as Cervantes prose is probably amongst the best in Spanish. The importance of the Quijote is how much it has influenced global literature. You can pick any random novel and trace its rputes in that book.

i bought this but am hesitant to start because i want to get the most out of it. was even considering waiting til my spanish is better but not sure i can be bothered as of now.

are there any prerequisites?

>are there any prerequisites?
Yes, for a full understanding of Quixote you must read
>Amadís de Gaula
>El cantar del mío Cid
>El relato del peregrino
>El asno de oro
>Tirant lo Blanc (in the original valencian)

your spanish will never be so good that it won't be worth re-reading it in english anyway, so just read it.

I read the first volume last month and leaving a break before the second. I don't understand why somebody would read the two consecutively. It took Cervantes ten years between them. The first part had memorable moments and was funny (Grossman translation.)

>Since it's the best novel of all time according to Veeky Forums, how do you cope with the fact, that nothing you'll ever read after will be as good?

You move on from novels and start studying philosophy and/or eastern metaphysics

This plus a solid foundation of chivalric novels.

I think taking a substantial break really adds to the second part

Yes, I was debating whether to leave it for six months or more. I still think about its characters and events in the first volume, a few weeks after reading it, and more time might help crystallise these things even further.

As creatively stifling as find Christianity to be, it is the only religion I find worth learning about.

The greeks. Unironically

actually i am Veeky Forums and i thought it was boring af

>You can pick any random novel and trace its rputes in that book

I keep seeing people saying that but I have yet to see them name some examples

but crime and punishment is good user

It was the first modern novel (sort of) and the novel hasn't changed very much at all since then/

But desu Don Quixote is like driving a rusty model T ford around claiming it's the best because it was "first", I guess it's worth driving once for the novelty but every single part has been improved in the time since it was released.

The Spanish in the novel is to modern Spanish what Shakespearean English is to modern English.
It's even worse because they're two versions of Spanish (old and even older).
Basically, your Spanish will never be good enough.

It's not that amazing, very repetitive with jokes and plot points repeating themselves a hundred times

say you stop reading books afterwards
is that so bad?
most authors stop reading books once they really start writing (except nonfiction)

Don't fetishize this novel. Few people read the whole thing. Um... Samuel Johnson has a quip about reading all the pages of a book.

Attached: legs.jpg (960x950, 243K)

if you didn't finish don quixote, you have to immediately

>See Don Quixote thread
>ctr+f Menéndez Pelayo
>0 results

ugh

quixotic is the right word and the ultimate message most certainly is Christian if you're an absolute brainlet

Attached: 1502674284237.gif (480x479, 263K)

not an argument, nor an explanation

looks like he was right

>is good even though it is unpretentious
why would i want my translation to be pretentious?

The first part is boring as fuck. A bunch of stories about cuckold shepherds.

Weird. My book contains like only 400 or 500 pages. It's hardly longer then Illiad. And i was told it has all two volumes in it.

But it IS the funniest.

It is any funnier in spanish? I would learn the language just to read this beauty in original form.

kek

If you're into funny stuff you should learn spanish. Picaresque novels are the real shit.

I'm only 10 pages into DQ and I couldn't believe how timeless the humor is, and how much it reminded me of the sharpness of Monty Python.

Humor is a big topic in Spanish literature. There's a word for the topic itself: jarana. It doesn't translate well, tbqh. But picaresque literature, Quevedo's satiric poems, DQ, La Celestina, and other stuff made the learning of the Spanish language worth for me. I'm native to French, though, so it was somewhat easier.

I'll just leave this here:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A35EEAEE3880943

You wouldn't get old Spanish though

im going to let you in on a secret mate, don quixote is just the warm up for the true pinnacle of literature.

Attached: file.png (526x440, 302K)

what praytell is this

THE
L I F E
AND
O P I N I O N S
OF
TRISTRAM SHANDY,
GENTLEMAN.

Attached: file.png (2000x1500, 2.42M)

Read the comedies of Aristophanes circa 400 BC.

Attached: Lysistrata-Press-Photo-12.jpg (1000x800, 114K)

Please don’t be ironic. I’m tired of seeing people shit on Sterne.

Fallout equestria

Attached: fallout_equestria___dust_jackets_by_whatpayne-d5md07w.jpg (900x600, 83K)

im not being unironic at all, i very sincerely think tristram shandy is the pinnacle of literature and only works by cervantes and jarry even come close

i'm not being ironic at all*
lol

Agreed. It’s baffling how Sterne manages to tear apart the codes of the novel, while still telling a funny, touching story.

Also, Uncle Toby is basically on the same level as Don Quijote or Falstaff.

yeah i think the thing for me that really separates it from what came before is the fact that hes not afraid to make jokes at the readers expense, apart from certain religious stories I can't think of any other literature that came before where the author isn't afraid to antagonise the reader.

I watched/listened to them on my commute while reading Don Quixote and there's a lot of interesting information in here, but overall I was disappointed. The lecturer went into too many far out interpretation by scholars that were of no interest or use to me. I also stopped the Dante one because the lecturer was just awful imo.

Their Bible lectures are amazing though.