Recommend me some fuckin' long-ass maximalist novels that aren't on this chart, please

recommend me some fuckin' long-ass maximalist novels that aren't on this chart, please

Attached: file.png (731x428, 431K)

Miss Macintosh, My Darling

Thanks to you and the user from the other thread who suggested John Dos Passos.

Anything else?

Best sub-genre ever created? Every one of those books is fantastic

There's one I can't stand, admittedly.

Petersburg by Andrei bely

Sot-Weed Factor

Will T. Vollmann's Seven Dreams

Is that maximalist, though?

Thanks, bud.

The Kindly Ones senpai

was it good?

>DFW

TDG, The Rifles & F&C are good. Not read the others yet.

G A D D A
A
D
D
A

? ? ? ?
?
?
?

I definitely wouldn't call Gaddis Maximalist. I wouldn't even call Wallace Maximalist.

The Magic Mountain. Dunno why it's not on there as it's canon Veeky Forums.

Carlo Emilio Gadda, Italian writer, ingeneer, and professional eater of pasta al sugo.

War & Peace?

Not maximalist

Not at all. I went in expecting typical modernist experimentation and got symbolist mindwank. Still good though, but I suppose Berlin Alexanderplatz fits what you want better.
Also, The Illuminatus Trilogy, though it kinda shrank in my heart from when I first read it.

Risotto alla milanese

>Mason and Dixon

The poetry of Kavafis is better than all of those books combined.

Barth's Tidewater Tales.

It largely consists of irrelevant filler, so presumably it qualifies as maximalist.

Incorrect

What A Carve Up!
(read up a bit on Thatcher and why working class Britain north of London hate her first)

>DFW isnt maximalist
>nine page footnotes

Kanye West

Would a maximalist short story or novella be possible? What would it look like?

It would look like DFW, Barth, or Pynchons short stories

John Dos Passos does not write maximalist fiction.

It's amazing how many of you confuse length with maximalism.

this thread has me wondering whether I'm a cliche

>sub-genre
it’s a movement, not a genre

this has happened to me before

Sean Goonan - The Foundation of Exploration

The term maximalism is sometimes associated with post-modern novels, such as those by David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon, where digression, reference, and elaboration of detail occupy a great fraction of the text. It can refer to anything seen as excessive, overtly complex and "showy", providing redundant overkill in features and attachments, grossness in quantity and quality, or the tendency to add and accumulate to excess.

Novelist John Barth defines literary maximalism through the medieval Roman Catholic Church's opposition between "two...roads to grace:"

the via negativa of the monkʹs cell and the hermitʹs cave, and the via affirmativa of immersion in human affairs, of being in the world whether or not one is of it. Critics have aptly borrowed those terms to characterize the difference between Mr. Beckett, for example, and his erstwhile master James Joyce, himself a maximalist except in his early works.[2]
Takayoshi Ishiwari elaborates on Barth's definition by including a postmodern approach to the notion authenticity. Thus:

Under this label come such writers as, among others, Thomas Pynchon and Barth himself, whose bulky books are in marked contrast with Barthelmeʹs relatively thin novels and collections of short stories. These maximalists are called by such an epithet because they, situated in the age of epistemological uncertainty and therefore knowing that they can never know what is authentic and inauthentic, attempt to include in their fiction everything belonging to that age, to take these authentic and inauthentic things as they are with all their uncertainty and inauthenticity included; their work intends to contain the maximum of the age, in other words, to be the age itself, and because of this their novels are often encyclopedic. As Tom LeClair argues in The Art of Excess, the authors of these ʺmasterworksʺ even ʺgather, represent, and reform the timeʹs excesses into fictions that exceed the timeʹs literary conventions and thereby master the time, the methods of fiction, and the readerʺ.[3]

Mulligan Stew

Les Miserables
The Tale of Genji
Outlaws of the Marsh
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Journey to the West
The Plum in the Golden Vase
Dream of the Red Chamber
In Search of Lost Time
War and Peace
The Subspace Emissary's Worlds Conquest

literati need to be liquidated

epub when

Attached: download.png (177x285, 7K)

White Teeth was a very poor choice for this

There's a kindle edition already.
It's also theoretically possible for me to rent it and make a pdf from it but that would be a lot of work.

Few, if any of those, are maximalist.

Are you even trying?

Most visual novels

>It can refer to anything seen as excessive, overtly complex and "showy", providing redundant overkill in features and attachments, grossness in quantity and quality, or the tendency to add and accumulate to excess.
This seems incredibly critical and biased for an encyclopedia

Maximalism is just the postmodenism version of baroque

Great! Got any recommendations for maximalism?

No this is just an epic. Long, dense and maximalist aren't mutually exclusive or conjoined.

Like this

Attached: Screenshot_20180327-032152.jpg (1890x4063, 2.52M)

This is psychotic gibberish. This isnt art.

>ITT "Siri, google worlds longest books."