Writing a villain and struggling with motive. Give me some ideas for good villain motives...

Writing a villain and struggling with motive. Give me some ideas for good villain motives. Whether it be psychology or material. Just throw em at me! Thanks /b/ros

Attached: Hitler Smile.jpg (450x398, 41K)

I have two villains. One is a supervillain, an anarchist bent on destroying society. One is a post-apocalyptic survivor, a former politician that's been corrupted by the end of the world. I have a basic idea for their motives, but would love some outside opinions!

If it’s an anarchist bent on destroying society, perhaps he wants to remake society for the better, by tearing down the foundations that make it so, out of revenge because he was rejected by society and refused to assimilate, to understand himself and admit his flaws.

He wants to prove he’s right, that he isn’t wrong and that if society dares to tell him no, he’ll dig his feet in deeper and say no back. He’s afraid of being wrong and realizing he’s to blame.

Maybe he’s stubborn. Maybe he wants society to improve. Maybe he doesn’t care at at all. Maybe he just wants to piss everyone off.

Does there have to be a motive?

Attached: 1521344743495.jpg (720x960, 59K)

take your protag and make him a villain

missed by one

What are good (realistic) hero motives? there you go.

Narcissism is always a good root

The left side of the bell curve (IQ, wealth, education, #of books read etc.) has to grow faster due to evolutionary pressure. This follows a generally shorter lifespan due to hereditary, unhealthy behaviors, such as drugs, tobacco, impulsive violence. If these beings have a place in society, it is in doing dangerous work that can shorten the lifespan drastically. Caveme- I mean miners, oil drilling etc. or it means menial duty that is more boring than what humans could bear, like janitors, factory jobs, truck driving and so forth.
These groups exist because animals can't do these jobs, and they need to be done. The human traits that play part in their being are those that can follow orders, not those that create or shape the world. Their advantage over the "right wing" or right side of the bell curve? They mature faster and tend to produce more offspring. However, there also exists a strategy among this group, to destroy the relatively weaker right side during the childhood, breaking their equipment, stealing, lying and so forth.

Saboteurs, revolutionaries, school bullies... They all follow suite. Now school bullies are interesting. They follow a drive, a degenerate fear of genetic extinction; a fear of being surpassed. So they must sabotage other lives. However, these days they won't get children, so they only play the motions, only dragging others with them. This is the pitiful end of their genes. This is how God plays justice.

evil

The easiest one would be revenge don't you think

The destruction of the Jewish fungus and the replenishment of German morality; I always imagine him as a tragic anti-hero.

Narcissism is better thought of as a facilitator of evil rather than a root cause. Psychopathy is interesting in this respect since the "root cause" is hard to track, to the extent that psychopathy becomes in a sense its own cause.

that's banal

Read these

Attached: IMG.jpg (1500x785, 116K)

Philosophy is great for creating villains
>"Life is inherently suffering. By killing people I help them by preventing suffering"
>"The law of the universe is might makes right. Any attempt to neglect this law is just degenerating society."
>"Morality is a spook"
>"Ones only obligation is to yourself. Be free and fight for yourself, not some abstract concept"

Cruelty, malice, and the will to dominate all life.

This isn't a disney film dude. "Villains" are more complicated than this.

Depends on what you're writing, fag.
You missed the quote from lotr apparently. Was sauron a bad villain for the point tolkien wanted to make?

Write the hero but as an older version that has failed in the current hero's journey.

some villains are genuinely just cruel and malicious. i mean some people who have normal lives are like that even

I assume you're trying to write serious literary fiction, fag

But serious literary fiction doesn't have villains

my point

why are you even in this thread then

The best villain ever had no clear motive.

Attached: 415px-Edwin_Booth_as_Iago_crop.jpg (415x600, 44K)

Good use of the word banal

>villains
what you really want is two good people that time and chance have set against each other in an irreconcilable manner

But who do you cheer for

Alternatively, my favourite villain I ever wrote was a Stirner-like guy utterly detached from morality who was fearsome intelligent and whose evil was like an art project and a philosophical argument all as one.

For the LULZ

If you can't come up with your own villain, don't write one. A good writer will work with what is true rather than what should be...
Still, you know what you are, think of one time you did something evil to someone, and create the villain out of what you imagine they saw you (or would've seen you) as in their mind.
OR
Start free writing about the shit you hate and are scared of (basically anything that brings one down-ish) and create characteristics for a villain through that.
OR
Mix and match.

Attached: we-talked-to-tommy-wiseau-about-the-new-dating-site-for-fans-of-the-room-body-image-1470779961.jpg (800x1014, 47K)

Highschool loser who thinks the world is out to get him, and isn't as nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Technological progress in society is causing chaos/instability/disaster.

No no, that should be the main character.

Don't, write a character before you write a villain.

Also,
read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, the Iliad, Greek tragedys, Elizabethan/Jacobean tragedy, Faust ect.

There was still more in him then that, he was the biggest dick-sucker

>tragedys

>One is a supervillain, an anarchist bent on destroying society.

He commits terrorism to bring attention to his political message, a message which he believes will truly save humanity and liberty. Basically the Unabomber.

here's how I write a villain: I think of the worst thing I think I could ever do and think of my state of mind in that situation. I think the worst thing I'm capable of is poisoning a child, so my state of mind at that time is twisted and torn emotionally, complete agony but an understanding that it has to be done(i am in a bad place and rationalize murder). then when it's finished, there is no relief, only a deep stabbing wound in my brain. I will never be able to think of anything else. I've killed a child. Why did I think it was necessary? What escalated me to that awful decision? The child was annoying, yes, and I was running up a large bill caring for it. What was to be done? Oh but now I can't live with the guilt, so clearly what was done was impulsive and foolish!

You have to ask yourself. Are they wrong? How and why are they and if they are wrong? Is it justified, can it be justified, what's the point of view when that's acceptable. You have to understand their position, from where are they coming from, see their reasoning and then you will get the motives and rest you need about the character.