Did epilepsy help Dostoevsky, Flaubert, and Dickens be better writers?

Did epilepsy help Dostoevsky, Flaubert, and Dickens be better writers?

Attached: 1014634248.jpg (1000x541, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschwind_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lewis Carrol, Tennyson, Dante, Swift, and Lord Byron were also epoleptics. A lot of great writers and artists were epileptic. They say just before an epileptic fit its like a higher plane experience of some sort.

rubbish.
source: i was epileptic as a child

They lied, for reasons.

What does it feel like? Aren't their different kinds of epilepsy?

What reasons

I do stimming which resembles a seizure and as I do it I feel as if I can visualize my thoughts, I also gain a kind of euphoria.

Not being allowed to be truthful, and knowing how to he truthful

you're fooling yourself

like falling asleep but not really
sometimes you'd hit your head

You're a retarded, dostoevskys fits are pretty well documented by third parties and written about extensively himself. Don't be jealous he had a divine curse/gift and you were simply sick

Retard* hehe

Dostoevsky touched on it in The Idiot, when Myshkin was experiencing a fit, Dostoevsky used it as a way to highlight what he felt under these seizures.

Fyodor Mikhailovich often told me that before the onset of an attack there were minutes in which he was in rapture. “For several moments,” he said, “I would experience such joy as would be inconceivable in ordinary life – such joy that no one else could have any notion of. I would feel the most complete harmony in myself and in the whole world and this feeling was so strong and sweet that for a few seconds of such bliss I would give ten or more years of my life, even my whole life perhaps.”

As a result of his fits he would sometimes bruise himself in falling, and his muscles would hurt him from his convulsions. Now and then his face turned red and sometimes splotches appeared. But the most important thing was that he lost his memory and for two or three days he would feel utterly broken. His mental condition was also grievous: he could scarcely overcome his anguish and hypersensitivity. The nature of this anguish, in his own words, was that he felt he was some kind of criminal; it seemed to him that he was weighed upon by mysterious guilt, by a great crime.

>Nikolay Strakhov

i love you but you don't know what you're talking about

troll

No, it just gave them something to write about/ a reason to write

>Ecstatic epileptic seizures are a rare but compelling epileptic entity. During the first seconds of these seizures, ecstatic auras provoke feelings of well-being, intense serenity, bliss, and “enhanced self-awareness.” They are associated with the impression of time dilation, and can be described as a mystic experience by some patients. The functional neuroanatomy of ecstatic seizures is still debated. During recent years several patients presenting with ecstatic auras have been reported by others and us (in total n = 52); a few of them in the setting of presurgical evaluation including electrical brain stimulation. According to the recently recognized functions of the insula, and the results of nuclear brain imaging and electrical stimulation, the ecstatic symptoms in these patients seem to localize to a functional network centered around the anterior insular cortex, where we thus propose to locate this rare ictal phenomenon. Here we summarize the role of the multiple sensory, autonomic, affective, and cognitive functions of the insular cortex, which are integrated into the creation of self-awareness, and we suggest how this system may become dysfunctional on several levels during ecstatic aura.

Fame, sex and money.

have you ever had a seizure?

Have you ever had an ecstatic seizure? Because it is clear you haven't

I was brief friends/partners with a tsundere suicidal epileptic girl. She told me a few times about here experiences with it. It didn't sound like much more than blacking out for a moment. I doubt the last part of your post holds true to every case.

"He remembered that during his epileptic fits, or rather immediately preceding them, he had always experienced a moment or two when his whole heart, and mind, and body seemed to wake up to vigour and light; when he became filled with joy and hope, and all his anxieties seemed to be swept away for ever; these moments were but presentiments, as it were, of the one final second (it was never more than a second) in which the fit came upon him."

>Higher planes of existence

"That there was, indeed, beauty and harmony in those abnormal moments, that they really contained the highest synthesis of life, he could not doubt, nor even admit the possibility of doubt. He felt that they were not analogous to the fantastic and unreal dreams due to intoxication by hashish, opium or wine. Of that he could judge, when the attack was over. These instants were characterized—to define it in a word—by an intense quickening of the sense of personality. Since, in the last conscious moment preceding the attack, he could say to himself, with full understanding of his words: “I would give my whole life for this one instant,” then doubtless to him it really was worth a lifetime."

It probably wouldn't be much of a leap to say Dream of a Ridiculous man had a bit to do with that feeling of his fits

No. A true patrician purposely contracts syphilis and allows tertiary syphilitic madness to bring him closer to artistic genius while it tears his central nervous system apart.

>emporal lobe epilepsy causes chronic, mild, interictal (i.e. between seizures) changes in personality, which slowly intensify over time.[1] Geschwind syndrome includes five primary changes; hypergraphia, hyperreligiosity, atypical (usually reduced) sexuality, circumstantiality, and intensified mental life.[3] Not all symptoms must be present for a diagnosis.[2] Only some people with epilepsy or temporal lobe epilepsy show features of Geschwind syndrome.[4]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschwind_syndrome

That's odd, when I was a child, I was experiencing a higher plane.