Are there any highschool teachers here on Veeky Forums?

Are there any highschool teachers here on Veeky Forums?

Does the job allow you enough time to write fiction?

My "career" hasn't panned out and I figure I'll have to retrain as something to make sure I have a steady career. But I'm afraid I'll be consumed by bureaucracy, disgust (I hated my highschool days), and so on.

Some writers who were highschool teachers:

>Kent Haruf
>Max Stirner
>David Guterson
>William Golding
>Robert Frost
>Frank McCourt
>Roddy Doyle
>Oswald Spengler
>Philip Pullman

My parents however dislike teachers, my father being a business-minded Man hostile to literature in general and fiction in particular, and my mother being a small-minded echo of my father's opinions. However teaching looks to me to be a steady, reliable job which should allow sufficient time to write "on the side" and during holidays. Am I simply deluded about this?

Attached: kentharuf.jpg (400x600, 49K)

How do you expect to be a legitimate writer if you don't spend 16 hours a day on Veeky Forums?

Attached: NORMAL.png (642x663, 430K)

I'd shoot for being a college professor, user. More respectable, well-paying, and if you play your cards right I'd dare say you might have more time to write.

OP here. In my country this field is massively over-populated and extremely competitive, with many professors' hours being cut and wages deflated. While Samuel Beckett could work as a lecturer aged 24 with only an MA to his name, today it's by no means that simple. Anyway I'd have to go back to university and study for about 8 years to even qualify.

I honestly feel my Veeky Forums days are coming to an end.

I became one but I hated the children so much I quit.

But yes, teachers have plenty of time off. Plenty.

What kind of area where you working in?

And how easy was it to find another job after quitting?

My experience was during the recession so it isnt relevant. I was in history. My big problems were freshman and sophomores, whom i found to be rancid holes in general. I also felt very uncomfortable when girls dressed sexy, and that was all the time. I was a history autist as well, and noone cared at all, so I went into sales/sales support and office administration

May I ask how old you were at the time?

And do you intend to stay working in office administration?

>I also felt very uncomfortable when girls dressed sexy
Beta

24-5

I actually transitioned to something more marketing based (lead generation).

Forbidden fruit smells rotten

I'm a new teacher in the US. I got into teaching because I thought I could put up with students for the sake of working with literature every day. I ended up really enjoying my students, and somewhat enjoying the "game" of teaching and interacting with other professionals. On an average, say, Wednesday, I wouldn't have time to write (170 students means constant grading of papers). However, breaks and weekends work for writing. I also read my own books every day, in addition to reading related to lesson planning. People will often say, "it's not for everyone." A more accurate statement would be: "it's not for MOST people." You have to love it madly to be successful. It works for me, but I feel like most 4chaners may not be suited for it.

>170 students
Jesus christ user, what do you teach and how many students do you have per class?

Do you think it's a career you could "breeze by" in if your focus is mainly on writing fiction?

Tf? Where do you live?

Not him but ifyou are not serious about teaching and you don't care about your students do not become a teacher.

Get a job as a night desk front in a hotel or as a security ward if you want a job that leaves plenty of time for reading/writing.

This. Don't screw up kids lives because you are a hack.

all teachers are basically like this
god forbid you do get one who really cares and you'll see how bad school can really be

>More respectable.

Dude obviously doesn't know how much dick sucking you have to do in order to become a professor in a highly competitive non-job.

If you can suck dick and still respect yourself, I'd say go for it.

bump

i'm a history teacher. i make almost no money (Brasil here) but i work few hours a week and live with my parents, so no much need for money and lots of free time.

it's pretty comfy if you dont really care about it too much, or you will become neurotic.

How old are you?

Also, are you the guy who considered paying to have his fiction published a few years ago?

>tfw milf PhD adviser
I'm fine with sucking whatever she wants me to suck

I am a teacher now, from the heartland 27 yrs old. I don't make much but I live with my parents while I am finishing my M.A in theology.
I teach freshmen religion at a catholic school.
Its basically all african american protestants so they really don't know much. The main problem is just the noise and the utter disrespect they have for us.
I hated my high school teachers while I was in highschool and now I have become what I hate.
When you spend all your time fighting dragons, you becoming the dragon? Guess he was right on that one.

pull a Kafka and half ass a shitty office job to pay the bills