Would this work for reading as well? Do we become desensitized when we read too much?

Would this work for reading as well? Do we become desensitized when we read too much?

Attached: image.jpg (750x1288, 323K)

Most of us have probably listened to more music than Schubert did. Whenever he wanted to listen, he had to have someone playing for him, or else play it himself.

Most people in the past only listened at concerts or at home, when they had someone to play for them. Thoreau, when he was in his cabin, didn't listen to any music at all.

People don't see, but music has been trivialized to a great extent. I feel nothing when listening to the first movement of Beethoven's 5th because I've heard it so many times on cartoons when I was a kid that it has no effect on me anymore.

Back in Schubert's day, listening to a symphony was a serious activity which you had to go out of your house to, well-dressed, and so on.

We have to go back to those days if we want to keep the awe of music alive.

How would we mimic this for literature though? Only buy expensive hard covers and read only on the weekends in a specific, deliberate context?

>I feel nothing when listening to the first movement of Beethoven's 5th because I've heard it so many times on cartoons when I was a kid that it has no effect on me anymore.
that's because you're not at a concert hall

im sitting in my room, half dressed, and listening to schubert on shitty speakers
and i still tear up every goddamn time

>I feel nothing when listening to the first movement of Beethoven's 5th because I've heard it so many times on cartoons when I was a kid that it has no effect on me anymore.
FUCK

That's only because you're a faggot

Reminds me of that scene in Intouchables where the black lad hears a classical piece live for the first time and he recognises it as the waiting music when calling the welfare office.

Sad desu, maybe media post-scarcity is ultimately just a gradual deadening of the affects and nothing else really worthwhile.

Definitely true.

It's why Freedom is so dangerous. Long ago I advocated the idea of the government forcing people to dress a certain way, cut their hair a certain way etc. In an ideal world they wouldn't have to and people would regulate themselves, but in free market existentialism people just become jaded at a young age because their curiosity leads to mass consumption and fatigue-induced nausea. Wives would also be provided by the government.

You are all cynical losers. You're dead inside not for the fault of humanity producing unaffecting music, but because you're lost and don't know how to find what it is you want.

this

Hearing is not the same as listening.

I dunno about reading too much... Maybe it has more to do with the content you're reading? I change it up from book to book. I read more now than I ever have and I'm happier for it.

Re: music, I haven't really listened to music in over a year. I get zero pleasure from it anymore. I switched to audiobooks, and now music feels like a waste of time. Live music is the only thing that can get a rise out of me.

>technology doesn’t affect people

so what do you suggest? should we all really start adhering to the NoListen described in OP's pic related? perhaps we could extend the idea to films or tv shows too. NoFap, NoListen, NoWatch, NoRead.. what next?

>My bitch outlook contributes less to my person than periphery technology interactions
The problem seems to be your brain as far as I can tell.

same man but its marvin gaye and chardonnay

>been listening to Schubert's piano trios for years while writing code
>still as good as the first time
Nah.

>sensory ratios do not exist
>there is no such thing as a media environment
>that’s why i think in literary and cinematic vignettes and like to pair music with imagination sequences
really makes you think desu senpai famalam bruh nigga

Makes sense. Following dietary guidelines and occasional fasting is normal for people who care about optimising nutrition, why not apply that approach to other activities?

>i think in literary and cinematic vignettes and like to pair music with imagination sequences
me irl intensely