What are some Veeky Forums approved movies?

What are some Veeky Forums approved movies?

Attached: gallery_movies-inside-llewyn-davis-oscar-isaac-cat.jpg (1280x853, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LiN26NHb4ao
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

books

The Guard, Withnail and I, and anything by Kubrik.
:)

Why would I watch the Hollyjew?

wavelength (snow, 1967) is the only literary film

The Wind Rises is basically a novel in movie form.

Tarkovsky, Bergman, Kurisawa, Lynch, Jodorowsky

Lynch is pretentious and has bought into his own hype. Nothing to see there

Attached: download (1).jpg (219x231, 8K)

>mfw i see another Criterion fan

Attached: 1479275941766.png (230x328, 11K)

Eraserhead will be forever kino

Attached: 1207268.jpg (900x674, 65K)

Bresson

Karakter, Four Murders are Enough Darling, The Adjuster, A Borrowed Life, Qivitoq

Solaris
Stalker
Patriotism
Kaos
Inherent Vice
The Road
No Country for Old Men
Andrei Rublev
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango

some documentaries:
The Society of the Spectacle
The Ister
The Pervert's Guide to Ideology

Anything by Tarkovsky, Kieslowski, Bresson and Angelopoulos.

D R E Y E R
R
E
Y
E
R

Keenoh

Attached: 3ed3c390ee7009a46484be66fe050510.jpg (1115x1600, 190K)

Tarkovsky movies are boring shit, go back to /tv/ you dumb posers

t. capeshit-eating bugman

Attached: suggestions.jpg (350x278, 14K)

Barton Fink or almost anything else by the Cohen brothers really

youtube.com/watch?v=LiN26NHb4ao

Attached: barton-fink.jpg (2155x3240, 1.01M)

This guy knows it.

t. patrician as hell student filmmaker

Mulholland Dr. is the single greatest film ever made, Lynch has earned a little pretention.

Calm down; sometimes the emperor is actually clothed.

La Strada

probably my favorite

also l'avventura and blow up

NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD CARES ABOUT THIS MOVIE BUT IT'S STILL GREAT GHDJLGKGJLSX

Attached: 5e728bdfdc1682194a360deb3c190dd9.jpg (851x567, 47K)

It really isn't. Nonsensically Contrived--I'm aware this might seem like a contradiction, but it actually isnt because he purposely thought through this story to be unintelligible--self-important trash. So many loose ends that don't get tied up, he tells an intriguing story only to laugh in our faces because it makes no sense. Fuck him to hell. Elephant man was good tho. I haven't seen eraserhead.

Best romance ever shown on screen
>tfw you'll never experience anything like this

Attached: beforetrilogy-posters.jpg (960x414, 82K)

wasn't that movie supposed to be a show? he had to rewrite the last 30 minutes of the pilot episode in order for it to make even a little sense, basically the part when she wakes up and goes to the party

I actually agree.

Feel free to shit on my recs...

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Amores Perros
Ashes and Diamonds
Barton Fink
Biutiful
Breathless
City of God
Closely Watched Trains
Close to Eden
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Festen
Hail, Caesar!
La dolce vita
Once Were Warriors
Persona (Bergman)
Pierrot le fou
Stroszek
The Battle of Algiers
The Double Life of Veronique
There Will Be Blood
Thin Red Line
Y tu mama tambien

These.

John Wick

Homosexuality is the best all around cover an agent ever had.

good list imo

if you have Breathless, then include Masculin Feminin, I don't know what's up with that movie but it's so relaxing to watch

I wanted to add Hunger and Shame. Plus Submarine.

Thanks u too

I will

Pusher trilogy
Any yakuza movie by takeshi

Johnny Mnemonic

Come on, bro. It's not even Lynch's best.

Recently watched these after putting them off for so long. They're honestly incredible.

Paris, Texas

t. first year film student

Some good picks but I'd choose 8 and a Half, Wild Strawberries, and Fitzcarraldo in place of the ones chosen (for three of the certain directors) perhaps as a mere matter of taste, but I'd argue.
The Lady from Shanghai
42nd Street
etc.

Six Degrees of Separation

The Mirror is one of the greatest reflections on memory I've ever seen. Not boring in the least.

We all start somewhere, sweetie

>jodorowsky

wew lad

kinography I deeply admire

Winter Light
Taxi Driver
Floating Weeds
Nostalghia
Orson Welles (the GOAT)
Kubrick (DO NOT REPLY if you are a hater. Kubrick is OBJECTIVELY GREAT. END OF STORY. PERIOD. I SHOULDN"T EVEN HAVE TO SAY THIS YOU FUCKING PSEUD PIECE OF SHIT. HOW CAN YOU WATCH BARRY LYNDON AND NOT CONCLUDE THAT HE IS A MASTER? SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID LITTLE BITCH)
Mizoguchi, esp. Sansho
The Coens
Bresson
Lynch

From what I've seen.

The very best:
The Godfather Part II
Barry Lyndon
Jeanne Dielman
The Mirror

Some other masterpieces:
Sunrise
The Passion Of Joan of Arc
Ordet
Rocco and His Brothers
La Dolce Vita
La Notte
Le Mepris (pretty much everything else by Godard is trash though)
Au hasard Balthazar
Salo
Come And See
A Brighter Summer Day
Satantango
No Country for Old Men
The Master

I dont like any kind of cinema desu.

>t. doesn't understand Tarkovsky uses time itself as pre-narrative density

I'm a huge fan of Eisenstein films and anything from that era as well as Kurosawa, are those Veeky Forums?

Attached: Strike 6.gif (480x360, 2.63M)

This was kino desu I fucking loved the ending

Yes.

This was unironically my favourite movie when I was a kid. I still think it's pretty great.

ok thx

Attached: tumblr_n4nmllzqxb1rw6lx6o1_500.gif (500x375, 257K)

I fucking love whiplash

Am I a brainlet

Thanks, I feel better now.

No way. "Whiplash" was great. Most of the time I hear people complaining about it, it's something along the lines of "Ha ha it's such a factually inaccurate portrayal of how music works, I noticed this because I am a big expert in music, did everyone notice how smart and knowledgeable I am?"

fifth shade of grey
heard it was pretty good and book related stuff.

no. if you think it's one of the best of all time then yes. theres nothing wrong with enjoying something, but to call it one of the best means you haven't had enough experience, and need to broaden your cultural awareness

Dardennes, Godard, Cocteau

Pic related for a good laugh

Attached: Woody_Allen_Cannes_2016.jpg (565x800, 53K)

Oh fuck off. It's not that it's "factually inaccurate," it's just that its entire approach towards artistry is fucked, and you don't need to be a musician to recognize that. It's basically a sports movie, and a pretty good sports movie at that, but peddling the idea that musicianship is basically just endurance training is absurd. And no, this is not a pedantic thing to point out considering it's the conceit of the entire fucking movie.

I see that, and raise you

A Colt is My Passport
A Man Escaped
Ace in the Hole
Blood and Black Lace
Bob the Gambler
Body Heat
Chronicle of a Summer (1961)
Coldfish
Coriolanus (2011)
Elevator to the Gallows
Flesh for Frankenstein
Hour of the Wolf (1968)
La Chienne (1931)
Ordet (if you watch nothing else on this list watch this, Dreyer, contrary to what Godard said, is the only director who can film a miracle)
Peeping Tom
Purple Noon
Shadow of a Doubt
The Element of Crime
The Fireman's Ball
The Hit (1984)
The Trial (1962)
Youth of the Beast

Attached: suzuki.jpg (500x590, 66K)

orson welles was very probably the greatest of all directors. there's also jean renoir and john ford.

horrid

>The Trial (1962)
please skip this one

Best modern Greek movies?
I only know kynodontas.

Magnolia is the “movie most like a book” I’ve ever seen.

>Shadow of a Doubt
I thought it was weird as fuck that the detective started hitting on that girl.

What do you think is wrong with it?

A good one. Remains under the radar for whatever reason.

Suntan is also good.

It was a different time, it was a simpler time. Hitchcock was also a very horny and sexually frustrated man who probably wanted to bang Teresa Wright into unconsciousness. He probably would have even fucked her while unconscious. In fact, he might have preferred that.

I honestly hate watching movies, they are all too short and human interaction always looks artificial.

Attached: dandy.jpg (640x360, 98K)

1943 was such a simple time.
shadow of a doubt is hitchcock's best american film but the english ones were better

Attached: 133d2af035ee00881dc90532143d5307.jpg (1600x2264, 1.36M)

>wanted to bang Teresa Wright
Cant blame him.
thanks

>I hear people complaining about it, it's something along the lines of "Ha ha it's such a factually inaccurate portrayal of how music works,
At a certain point you realize it takes tremendous skill and intelligence to produce even a "mediocre film". Whiplash is great because it's a work of art, not because of at deep themes or extraneous bullshit. I wish I understood this earlier

Fuck off, Johnny Utah! Actually, although I think your read on the film is misguided, I'm not criticizing you here. I'm talking about people who don't really engage with the film at all, instead using it as a springboard to exhibit their musical expertise. (For instance, a few weeks ago I was speaking to someone who claimed that the main character's sweating while drumming "ruined" the movie for him because skilled drummers don't actually sweat that much while playing.)

well it is artificial, you know. if you want genuine human interaction you can see that everywhere.

>The Trial (1962)
I love the book too much. Welles took one of the most iconic endings in literature and turned it into... whatever that was supposed to be.

I don't actually think it was simpler, I was mocking that "the golden age was whenever I was a kid" mentality. The mores were just different. What do you think Hitchcock's absolutely best film is?

Hamlet 2

Quarry (TV show)

>if you want genuine human interaction you can see that everywhere.
Where do you live and how can I move there?

Attached: peele.png (513x483, 547K)

W E S T E R N movies
I even cried with some ones.

Attached: foto3_15.jpg (1200x935, 130K)

The Shooting was an underrated work of kino

Communist paradise
Seize the means

t. someone who has never met any first year film students

in the world

i see i see
the 39 steps was a masterpiece don't you think

This is so true to my life, it's beyond ironic. So many people I have met recently act like they are characters out of The Sims, they act like how they think people are meant to act.

There are probably only maybe 6 to 7 people I have met my whole life (31 years old) that I believe are honest people that behave like actual human beings.

Attached: thetrial.png (588x201, 44K)

I remember going to film school thinking I was going to meet people as autistic as me about cinema but instead all of them loved Nolan, Godard and Donnie Darko. Dreadful people really.

The Western truely was the modern, American epic. It's a shame it doesn't resonate as much as it once did.

Anything French New Wave or Italian Neorealism

masks are proliferating. you have difficulty finding a girl whose face looks as it really is. our age is the triumph of makeup. and not only for faces, but, more important, for the mind as well. everybody wears a mask. even children wear other people's masks until they develop one of their own.

It may surprise you if you haven't already watched it, but the Westworld TV show is pretty great. I know it's not the same, but still it's a fun time.

If you like video games Red Dead Redemption is also great.

Yeah, I know his stance. It makes him look like an even bigger tool than he would have had he just changed it.
>stabbing would remind people of the holocaust
>I'll kill him using dynamite while hes in a big hole in the ground
Honestly the stupidest fucking change for the stupidest fucking reason. a Jew dying in a ditch is so less Holocaust than a fucking knife to the chest.

That's honestly one of the few I have never seen, but it's going into the hard-drive as I type.

It's got to the point where people say things like "no one is genuine anymore" to indicate that they belong to a certain intellectual milieu, not because they actually believe it and want to change their own behavior. Commodities were a mistake etc.

Attached: simulationintensifies.png (378x378, 169K)

The first season was fun to watch yeah. The season 2 is still good?

Nightcrawler

>Come And See

GOAT

Ha! I fucking love that movie. I'm old enough to have seen it in a theater too. Ack. Truth be told, I am a fan of the awful On The Road movie too.

garbage pail kids