Books that Grip You

I've tried reading high brow literature and it's boring as fuck. Young adult novels like Redwall and Hunger Games and The Giver were what gripped me into reading, so I want to go back to it.

But unfortunately young adult doesn't cut it anymore. I can't read angsty teen dystopia #573 and actually enjoy it.

So please recommend me some fictional novels that "grip" people. I myself enjoy some sci fi, but I'm generally open to anything, as long as it's gripping.

Pic related actually did grip me but it wasn't a story. It's a prepper book and I wish I could have read a book like that. But again, I'm open to all genres.

Attached: survive.png (183x275, 9K)

>you will never be in 5th grade reading the hunger games trilogy again

Attached: misato_grenade.png (682x246, 222K)

Maybe try Biographies? They are like fiction and tend to have drama or fun wrapped into them.

Nice book you got there OP

Attached: 1497040931200.jpg (410x368, 26K)

Don quixote

Why read angsty teen dystopian novels when you can read biographies from Bolshevik-era Russia. That's as dystopian as it gets, with the added value that it actually happened

>Tfw I was reading Dante , Homer, and Tolkien in the 5th grade
H-haha yeah, remember those young adult novels we can all relate to? M-man those were the days huh? Just talking with your friends about them and shit.

Those were the days

Attached: 1445972464054.jpg (482x427, 36K)

I gotchu senpai

Attached: 51yLmONpuGL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (314x499, 44K)

>I've tried reading high brow literature and it's boring as fuck
t. picked up war and peace and got bored 10 pages in and decided to write off all ""high brow"" literature forever

What really got me into reading again was going through the web serial Worm
It's a "dark" super-hero story, and I think anyone who enjoys that type of escapism should have fun reading it
It gives off young adult vibes, especially at the beginning, but largely escapes most of those tropes
It's FAR from perfect, but in terms of the engagement I had while reading it, it ranks pretty high

you must have the biggest brain
(seriously though, I had a friend like that, and it was so bizarre to me that he enjoyed that shit)

The Three Musketeers

I only have an IQ of like 125, I was just raised by people who were deeply imbedded in to academia (long line of uni professors and lawyers, then a lot of officers in the military, plus a scientist)

Idk, I just never found books targetted towards younger audiences very entertaining. I also really liked poetry by Poe and Shakespeare, then read a bunch of science/history books. I was just an extremely bookish kid

Try crime-noir novels like Breakfast at Tiffany's or my favorite, There is a Killer Inside of me by Jim Thompson. You don't have to be super into academia to enjoy that shit, enjoy I do like my Pynchon/ Wallace when I'm in that mood.

Seconded, when a crime novel is good, it's both good and fun. A nonfiction crime book I'd recommend is Devil in the White City. Look at Nordic crime series for some good fictional stories.

Read Three Musketeers last year and was surprised by how engrossing it was. Make sure to get the unabridged version with all the lewdness OP.

>Young adult novels like Redwall and Hunger Games and The Giver were what gripped me into reading, so I want to go back to it.
>But unfortunately young adult doesn't cut it anymore. I can't read angsty teen dystopia #573 and actually enjoy it.

This is my eternal pain.

I want genre fiction with punch and meaning.

The only way I've found it so far is to go back before genre fiction was a thing, when fantasy and sci-fi were not yet divorced from "literature."

Read the classics, OP.

The only problem is how dated and cliche they feel by now. They're coated in zeerust.

Attached: lestoil-zeerust_5334.jpg (350x430, 53K)

I started and ended my "read /literature/ you fucking pleb" adventure with the Count of Monte Cristo.

What a fucking snoozefest.

Yeah, noir is good for adults who want back some of the "magic" of reading.

Funnily enough, it was comic books that got me into noir.

Attached: Blacksad 04 - A Silent Hell 012.jpg (1600x2200, 650K)

OP Try the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Brilliant books, fantasy but with none of the sparkle and plenty of genuine malevolence. Really a well written too.

NEUROMANCER

NEUROMANCER

NEUROMANCER

you're welcome

That was your iq when you got tested. It's probably dropped a point for each day you've been on here.

Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle Volume 4. You really want to see that fucker get laid.

Also Microserfs by Douglas Coupland, in that I seemed to have subconsciously modeled my life after the main character in that book.

Attached: aesthetic.jpg (675x450, 107K)

The stars my destination. It's non stop from start to finish.
Try master and margarita 100 years of solitude, I don't see how your can be bored from them.
Maybe the foundation trilogy, at least the fist book that is 4 short stories.
Hyperion as well has a great fist book.

Fanfiction, but unironically.

This, also unironically.

There's a great Prototype/Fallout New Vegas crossover that's 200k words deep. Unfortunately it updates at a glacial pace.