Frederick the Great or Frederick the Pathetic?

>There were later allegations that the Russian commander Count Tottleben had received a personal bribe from the Prussians to spare the city, and he was subsequently tried and found guilty of being a spy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Berlin

>Then, in January 1762, Frederick received the news that the Empress Elizabeth of Russia had died on 5 January: "The Messalina of the North is dead. Morta la Bestia", wrote Frederick on 22 January.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_House_of_Brandenburg

>Elizabeth of Russia
>most humane Russian Monarch
>Frederick calls her "Messalina" because he lost the war

Seems like if the Russians didn't spare them out of pity, there'd be no Germany today.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1848326408/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1462618474&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=frederick the great&dpPl=1&dpID=51HloYDkHmL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's literally German history in a nutshell.

Someone always took pity. Funnily enough. Germans never pity anyone.

>Yet another MUH GERMANS SUCK thread.
This /int/ style country bashing needs to go back to its board seriously.

Fred the Great was still the man who established a modern Prussian state, stole Silesia from the Austrians, and set Prussia on the path to becoming a leading power among German states.

By pure luck and pity from Russia.

Frederick was the greatest general of his age. The Eternal Germanic struck again when the new Tsar who took over was basically German. Then his German princess wife stabbed him in the back too. Proving that the Eternal Germanic is the evilest most vile creature of all.

But luck is part of the Path of the Ninja.

Didn't know Russia actually governed Prussia. Get lost, obvious Pole. Don't you have some Russian-hating to do?

rock lee is the only good character and should have been the mc

You're schizophrenic.

I know that, but none of this would have happened if Peter III didn't spare him out of pity.

So, can his policies even be considered good, since they should've led to the downfall of Prussia (if not for Russian pity)?

Didn he have an spin off? Or something like that?

>be Frederick II von Hohenzollern
>dad wants you to be king
>fuck you dad, I want to run away so I can keep studying art and music and hanging out with my really, really close friend
>dad stops you, kills your friend and makes you watch
>fine, i'll be king
>do a decent job of reorganizing the army, build yourself a pretty palace
>get your ass kicked by Russia and Austria in 1759
>they don't follow up and crush you for some reason
>get your ass kicked more in 1761
>the Empress of Russia dies, and apparently her nephew is a fan of yours
>he stops the war and signs a peace treaty instead of crushing you
>"All hail Frederick the Great"
>beg russian Tsarina to partition Poland
>pls pls pls Catherine pls
>Fine Fredrich, you will get some land from polacks
>he unites his shitty backwater country because of Russian kindness
>"All hail Frederick the Great"

History students seem to be pretty cucked, sucking up all that post WW2 propaganda which goes way overboard with its criticism on every tiny bit of German history.
But at least you guys praise progressive Islam, I am suure these guys will enrich your countries and save you from the evil Germans.

Even meme arrows don't verify your hip lies about history in facebook language

I am sure you find that 2000 years of Japanese histories in 5 minutes thing to be one of the most hilarious videos arround

>lies about history
Which ones?
There are no lies in this pasta at all.

Its the Anglos, theyve grown in influence on this board.

You sure are butthurt about people who dont like some german dude, people who study something that haven even been mentioned by OP, Islam and hipsters.
Hell, you may have a serious problem.

I listed facts my friend. I can think of many "great" military commanders/statemen, not a single one who has been spared because of the pity of his enemies.

I am not interested in pro-X or anti-X sentiments, take it to /int/, /pol/.

Nah, Anglos are victims of this shit as well
>MUH ETERNAL ANGLO
And all that. I mean there's posts where that is a joke but man, some people.

Prussia could have been wiped out so many time it's not funny.
Napoleon should have given Silesia to Austria, that way he would have destroyed Prussia completly.

There's no kindness or mercy in these politics

In germany we just call him "der große fritz" (the great fritz), mainly because he promoted the potatoe in germany, effectively saving thousands of people from starving.

cont. I also love his work ethic.
It is told that he would walk around the villages and beat people with his cane if they weren't working.
Besides that he was a close friend of Voltaire.

That's cool and all, and I don't disagree, but compared to losing 2 big wars that's rather minor.

But he didn't lose user. He kept Silisea and absolutely rekt Austria and France.

Ofc he did, he had the Russians and Austrians twice ready to wipe Prussia out. First time averted by luck, second time by pity.

First time by skill and absolutely rekting the Austrians. Second time by skill in keeping the war going till luck got on his side. Both were wins either way. I suggest you educate yourself and read this book

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1848326408/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1462618474&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=frederick the great&dpPl=1&dpID=51HloYDkHmL&ref=plSrch

>till luck got on his side.
When Russians spared him.

When a Tsar died and a German prince took the throne :^)

That prince decided Fredrick was a better ally than Austria could make. No sparing, just a mutually advantageous relationship.

He fought the great powers of mainland Europe and won. Still counts, you can't ever beat old Fritz.

You deny it all you want.

Russians spared him.

That's just like your opinion man :^)

No, that's a fact you try to deny.

What's a fact is that Frederick won both wars :^)

Check Wikipedia

Seven Years War
>"Anglo-Prussian-Portugal Coalition victory"

But you ignore how he did it or how someone else did it for him.

But you ignore the fact that it was Frederick's tactical and strategic genius that won the war.

If the Russians won, it'd say
>Russian victory

Right?

He got depressed and almost killed on the battlefield.

A good general has to be out in the front inspiring the men while overseeing the battle. Almost being killed was a regular occurance. Being depressed, well of course was depressed after the some of the battles. Especially after Kunersdorf, his worst all time defeat. However, Frederick rallied his army after the battle and went on to win a crushing victories at the battles of Leignitz and Torgau.

Similar things happened earlier in that war and his career. He suffered a loss before his victories at Rossbach and Leuthen too.

It wasn't pity but admiration. What are those other examples of "pity" in German history, may I ask?

Prussia history makes you think that they were luckiest nation in the world at least at the time
but at least they used opportunities to become stronger instead of wasting them, that counts for something

That's how many nations became great. It's all about exploiting opportunities. A ruler of a rival state dies or a lucky circumstance presents itself. A good statesman exploits that. A dumb one does not. You can call it luck, and there is an element of luck to it, but that's just the reality.

Sometimes the word "contigencies" is used to describe those kind of situations.

>be so capable and cool even heir of enemy empire admires you
>bad policies

>make other countries to do heavy lifting for you
>a bad thing

This isn't Russian posting

This isn't Eternal Anglo posting

The Eternal Pole is at hand.

The Eternal Pole loves to shit on Germany and Russia and use the Anglos as his cover because the Anglo hasn't always kissed the Pollack's insecure ass. This sort of posting in the only way to help the Eternal Pole sleep at night.

This place needs flag markers.

>Austrians call on France and Russia to attack Prussia
>They nearly win in a three on One Continental Gang Bang
>Russia changes its mind
>Prussia Keeps its gains against the Austrians
>Hasburgboos somehow try to turn this against the Prussians

Gross oversimplification to the point of total lack of truth.

It's funny that just the mention of Frederick can still bring about great butt hurt in Poles to this day.

his dad was the real hero of Prussia

he's the one that built it to a military state in the first place

Actually, we call him "Der alte Fritz" (Old Fritz).

what are the best bios on this guy and best books for prussia?

>Frederick the Great?
>Frederick the Pathetic?

Frederick the Cute!

CUTE!!!