History films

I've been struggling to find films with good historical battles.

Please suggest some. It can be from any period. No fantasy or horribly historically inaccurate films.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6gv2p2WZoUE
youtu.be/cpfUw0aPdwE?t=1h29m10s),
vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/movies.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVBRLs866Bw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have the following movies in my folder, some less historical than others

300 (1 & 2)
Alexander
Ben Hur
Centurion
Dacii
Gladiator
The 300 Spartans
The Eagle
The Egyptian
Troy
Arn the Knight Templar (1 & 2)
Brave Heart
Flesh and Blood
Henry V
Iron Clad
Kingdom of heaven Directors cut
Robin Hood
Valhalla Rising

Master and Commander
Last Samurai
The Patriot

Come and See
Downfall
Enemy at the Gates
Fury
Letters from Iwo Jima
Saving Private Ryan
Valkyrie

>IronClad
That shit is as inaccurate as possible but holy shit it is so over the top its fun. gif related.
If you don't mind TV series then Rome is pretty accurate.

For TV shows

Band of Brothers
Generation War
Vikings
Rome (as mentioned earlier)
Spartacus
I, Claudius (no battles though)

LindyBeige, pls go.

And make another episode. I'm bored.

Ancient:

Gladiator
Alexander
Troy
Centurion
The Eagle
King Arthur

Medieval:

Kingdom of Heaven
Braveheart
The 13th Warrior (Low Fantasy, but it is very good)

Modern:

Saving Private Ryan
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Hamburger Hill
We Were Soldiers
Hurt Locker
Platoon
Enemy at the Gates
The Kingdom
Letters From Iwo Jima
Flags of our Fathers
The Pacific (TV series, but it's good)
Stalingrad
Gallipoli
Fury

Others:

The Last Samurai
Glory

We have a couple threads up asking for recommendations, Veeky Forums sticky when???

You are obviously looking for LotR, 300 and FREEEEDOME

WWI
all quiet on the western front(1930)
WWII
The longest day
Das Boot (submarine fights, not land battles)
The Bridge (1959)
Japan:
Shogun with Richard Chamberlain is pretty nice (but not such big battles) and accurate culture wise
Last Samurai (well that gets more fictional)
Kagemusha
Seven Samurai

Africa:
Zulu

Don't really know about accurate greek, roman or similar stuff... someone got a good recommodation without shitty hollywood storyline and unrealistic action film BS?

>Last Samurai

Ignoring that Japan would never go to the US for that type of technical training and that Cruz sided with "the wrong side of history" it was ok.

>Braveheart

Anti-Anglo 101

>No fantasy or horribly historically inaccurate films.
>Posts one

yes

>You are obviously looking for LotR, 300 and FREEEEDOME
No I'm not you cocksucker

Alexander is great and horribly underrated. The battle scenes are very authentic.

Only the extended cut is enjoyable.

watched this one a few days ago. i'm impressed how they managed to make naval warfare not boring. and yet how historically accurate it managed to be

Bizzare post.

Its anti-english, not anti-anglo. The Scots are more anglo than the English.

Yeah, the violence is top-notch but I was a bit let down by the history. I don't expect academic accuracy in a film but making huge changes for no reason doesn't work for me.

Like, why the fuck is there a Templar there? Why have only 12 people defending when that's obviously ridiculous?

There's a sequel but tit resembles history even less and is noticeably lower budget.

Final cut or Ultimate cut are great, haven't seen the first director's cut but it sounds like an inferior version to the later two.

Obviously avoid the theatrical cut like the plague, if you're thinking of watching it.

It's innacurate, but it's a good pulpified version of Alexander's life. I love that it puts one right into the (slightly fictionalised) classical world, the mythology, ritual, and political world view of the classical greeks is front and centre and shown to be an important part of their lives. Many historical films fall into the trap of putting peope with modern day attitudes into the past.

No they're not.

Why Alexander was so fucking crushed by the critics?? I found it not bad historically talking, also battles were rad, hell, even Farrell does nice and the movie has some other good actors and good photography & ost.

Look to the storied histories of the chans, my son,
Look to the smoking ruins of /x/,
And see why we don't go wantonly asking for stickies all the damn time

Which version did you see? The one that came out in cinemas was butchered for running time.

Where are you from? I thought it was surprisingly good but there is one actor I really dislike.

T. Dutch

I know, saw both and even the cutted version doesnt deserves that.

groningen. which one?

what does the sticky on /x/ has to do with it being shit?

>noone mentioned this movie yet

youtube.com/watch?v=6gv2p2WZoUE

Because it focused on the battles and stuff which pissed off critics who want some silly romance movie

Most of /x/'s main talking points being tied up in one unreplyable thread somewhat stifled discussion, weakening the overall resolve of the board to the point of being unable to thwart the sacking of the place by /b/arbaroi in the early 21st century AD.

>OP asks for "good historical battles"
>people posting fucking Braveheart

lads...

Critics hated it because it had a gay main character. How many critically acclaimed movies with gay leads do you know (that don't somehow revolve about him struggling with his own sexuality, e.g. Brokeback Mountain, that aids movie with Tom Hanks)? I don't know any. Having gay leads is still taboo in Hollywood.

Historians were extra anal about historical accuracy for whatever reason, possibly because they didn't like a gay Alexander either. I mean how fucking pedantic do you have to be to get butthurt that a man in his 50s is played by an actor in his late 30s and to call a movie "historically inaccurate" because of it. I mean some "criticism" of historians literally complained that the movie is a reduction of events, rather than the complete chronicles of his life. The movie was as accurate as movie can be in my opinion without turning into a stretched out mess like Cleopatra.

Audiences were literally too stupid for this movie and/or butthurt because the main character turned out to be gay:
>In his commentary, Stone explains that, for the theatrical release in the United States, he had to refrain from using regular "BC" dates, since (according to data collected from test screenings) there was a significant number of viewers who did not know that 356 BC represented an earlier historical period than 323 BC

I bet you're also going to claim The Patriot wasn't one hundred percent factual too

I think the critics were way too harsh, but I don't think the movie was that great either. The battles were rad, but the drama wasn't really interesting enough.The fact that he's gay or bisexual or whatever is really boring, it is just a generic romance between men.

The 1956 film Alexander the Great was practically the inverse of Alexander, where the battles were absolutely dreadful (hilariously so, youtu.be/cpfUw0aPdwE?t=1h29m10s), but it took enough liberties with the plot, particularly in exploring Alexander's oedipal relations with his father which made it more interesting as a film

This

Isn't the love interest in the film someone who would've been a kid at the time?
Also:
>where's the bridge?

War and Peace (the Russian movie/s)

That shit looks Berserk-tier.

this was very well done. The sea battles were impressive af. I didn't know much about this period other than they were all at it but England was steadily ascending. I love things about the non-English speaking world. can't wait to check out Dacii from

Outlaw: The Saga of Gisli is very good, and from what I've read one of the most realistic depictions of the Viking Age (seemed very authentic to me, but not really my period).

loads of great Veeky Forums films but everyone only ever names the same handful of action films from the last 20 years

here's a few good ones I've seen relatively recently

>Ashes and Diamonds
About late/post war Poland and the resistance fighting the Soviets
>The Ruling Class
British aristocrat thinks he's the messiah, is "cured" but then slowly dives back into insanity
>Battle of Algiers
shot documentary style about the Algerian revolution, the best war film ever made easily.
>Naked Prey
safari guide and the white men who hired him get assaulted by Africans and taken hostage, the guide escapes but with nothing but his underwear and has to survive like a wild animal.
>Yojimbo
Samurai comes into a small town and plays local strongmen off one another for gold
>Fitzcarraldo
Man buys a plot of land in Brazil hoping to collect rubber and bring it back, drags a steamboat over a mountain to do it. there is a documentary about the making of this film which is equally fantastic
>Kagemusha
poor criminal is an exact lookalike of a powerful Japanese lord, hired as a body-double until the lord is killed and he basically has to pretend to be him all the time.
>Khartoum
about a British commander sent to defend Egypt against the armies of the self proclaimed Muslim messiah or Mahdi

also The River
not so many battles but good romance story set in British India

fantastic film

W A T E R L O O
A
T
E
R
L
O
O

I just watched pic related a few days ago. Pretty awesome for its age (1964). From what I can tell, it's mostly accurate aside from one character not behaving at all like the man he is portraying, as well as the Zulu doing a chant thing at the end. The action is pretty great if not understandably cheesy at times.

I had a family member at Rourke drift his stuff currently sits in a museum but boy he could not have wrote negro more in his letters if he tried.

>300
WE
WUZ
WARRIORS
N
SHIET

>implying you can break through a collar bone and several ribs that easily using a blunt medieval sword designed to beat people to death rather than slice them to pieces

has there ever been a good time travel movie ever?

You should see it from a danes side: What was pagan vikings doing in England almost 300 years after Denmark became christian?
Why did they speak hungarian?

Alatriste is a pretty good movie. A shame that they didn't show more pike and shot.

>Dacii
As in the Romanian movie? Didn't know many people knew about it.

because critics are retards

eg:
-one criticism is that there was too much focus on battles (when there's like 1 and half battle)
-the other criticism is that there is elements from granicus and cheronea in the gaugamela scene (clitus saving alexander)

so yeah, too many battles and too much condensed?

fun fact about the ''gay'' thing

in the movie, there's nothing gay
in the politically correct world of today, it'd be praised

Here you go, an entire website compiled by a guy, by dates, periods, and countries

vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/movies.html

Any movies about the American Revolution? I saw The Patriot and it was amazing

"A bridge too far" about operation Market Garden was pretty nice.

Really decent movie bout korean war
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVBRLs866Bw

Fuckin wew. Thank you user!

Read books.

His character is based of a French guy senpai