Hinduism is practiced by a lot of people, but they are all primarily of South Asian descent...

Hinduism is practiced by a lot of people, but they are all primarily of South Asian descent. Why didn't Hinduism manage to touch the world the way Buddhism, Islam and Christianity have?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8tw7LIykvBw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but it did in SE Asia.

Designated pooinloo religion

Because it was a caste system who forbid you over cows from having a relatively decent nutrition and forced you to bathe in a corpse-ridden river?

It's a cultural religion, not a theological on like the Abrahamic faith.

Yes but most of those countries have been Islamized/Christianized.

I don't know anything about Hinduism, since you made this thread why don't you tell me what you think, OP. Here's your chance.

They don't proselytize like the Christians and muslims. Part of it I think is the universalist perspective, where every religion has its purpose in a person's life. Compare to the abrahamic one where they have The Truth and everyone else is deceived by satan.

polytheistic beliefs don't spread as well as monotheistic/nontheistic beliefs because people will just start worshipping whatever gods they want and that way it will not be a "religion"

>Why didn't Hinduism manage to touch the world the way Buddhism, Islam and Christianity have?
it does. Hinduism is buddhism+hedonism, aka budhism for most people.

>biggest temple is outside the subcontinent
>ayyuthaya is literally ayodha.

Polytheist = shit at proselytizing.

>Polytheists
>Proselytization
I don't think they even fucking tried.

Few of the major polytheistic trends say "MUH GODS ARE THE ONLY ONE THERE IS"

"Hinduism" isn't a unified faith with a central doctrine or creed like Buddhism is

Buddhism is equivalent to a single sect of Hinduism, of which there are thousands

Some of the other people have made some good points but just to put together a number of points into one post -

1) For a while it actually did spread outwards from India and was common in SE Asia in the Burma/Cambodia/Laos area but these same places later had Buddhism become more popular which to an extent usurped Hinduism as the dominant religion.

2) It was closely interlinked with the Indian caste system and Vedic/Brahamanic culture, the culture reinforced its dominance in India and without successfully transporting the culture to foreign places you couldn't give them the same impetus to follow Hinduism that they would have with the caste system and culture of India.

3) There has never been much of a big focus on proselytizing and spreading Hinduism to foreigners as there has been with Buddhism and the Abrahamic religions.

4) Hinduism encompasses a huge variety of beliefs, teachings and customs. Aside from agreeing on the authority of certain religious texts and on the existence of certain deities many of the different branches of it have little in common. This made it so that there was not a large, single, consistent and unified teaching to be spread, if there had been there probably would have been more of an organized effort across India to facilitate and promote proselytizing in foreign areas.

5) One of the things that is fairly consistent across Hinduism is that all religions are different paths through which humans approach the same goal or tread the same path. Historically there has been a lot of tolerance in Hindu areas for other religions and Hinduism often blend with and incorporates other religions such as how they claimed that Buddha was just an avatar of Vishnu or something along those lines. This has made it so that in areas near India there was little pressure to adopt Hinduism because it often didn't overtly conflict with whatever religion was already practiced.

It doesn't promise eternal life in heaven if you follow it.

>Why didn't Hinduism manage to touch the world the way Buddhism, Islam and Christianity have?

Because its hand was covered in shit

Was Hinduism inspired by psychedelics? Sure seems like it

>tfw your a muslim but talk with hindu friends
>tfw retards who have no knowledege on hinduism try to speak as if they know even a hint about it
Let me guess, an American?

Hinduism came way before Buddhism though

neither does Buddhism

many Hindus consider Buddhism to be a Hindu sect

akin to how Christians see Protestants

Because drinking cow piss is nasty.

Because Hindus aren't actively interested in propagandizing the belief that only their religion allows people to be "saved."

Other paths are viable.

They know better.

India is the land of the countless gods, South East Asia is the land of the countless religions.

>Because Hindus aren't actively interested in propagandizing the belief that only their religion allows people to be "saved."
no, thy just though all faiths were the same anyways so spreading any single one was irrelevant.

and beyond that there was no such thing as "Hinduism" as we think it today until the Mugfuls and latter the British tried to organize society

bunmpp

Because it's a religion built on contradictions. Truly a heathen following.

It did in SEA

Hinduism isn't an organized religion, but rather a collection of Indian beliefs that were grouped together by the British colonials and dubbed Hinduism. Because of this and theological reasons, Hinduism never proselytized and spread. Introduction into Hinduism was also made difficult by the caste system, something one is born into.

However that doesn't mean there aren't converts. Movements like Hare Krishna bring Hindu ideals to westerners. I myself converted to Hinduism

Hinduism isn't a religion. It's a just lifestyle designed for religious tolerance and unity. This makes more sense when you see the interaction between Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shaktism, or Smartism. Add to that the religions outside the Vedic Pantheon like Islam, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism or Christianity, and you have in India very a complex and varied religious society. To accommodate this, you have the Hindu insight.

I feel some religions spread by sheer political will. As in, not because the religion mandates it but because the people who believe that religion happen to be in an expansionist time and place and are able to accomplish those goals. You might even consider the religion to be an afterthought in some cases.

But also allows a degree of cohesiveness and helps convince foreign people why they should pay you and join you. The catholic church made this into an art form and was able to convince many polytheistic groups to convert and send their money to Rome.

Hinduism did spread, just through the region that that civilization and culture found its niche in. I'm sure certain Hindu ideas started in one place before they spread to the rest of India, merging and evolving with the other cultural ideas present there.

Bold words coming from a Christian.

Which is interesting because in a technical sense, you could be a practicing Christian in India, and some Hindus would consider you Hindu as well.

Some Indians think Jesus Christ as the Reincarnation of Krishna

>Hinduism isn't a religion
it very much is a religion you stupid atheist wanker
its just not a "unified" faith but a shit ton of sects and faiths under one label used by the British for all native Indian faiths besides a select few like Buddhism since it wasn't widely practiced in India when they arrived

ill never understand hindu aesthetics

I love it fantastic representation of the multiplicity of God and the alien beauty of the divine

honestly we can learn a lot from the Hindus to make our faith a living faith.

>its just not a "unified" faith but a shit ton of sects and faiths under one label used by the British for all native Indian faiths besides a select few like Buddhism since it wasn't widely practiced in India when they arrived

So it's not a religion.

>So it's not a religion.
what do you think a religion is?
its this sort of wank that makes stupid white people think Buddhism is just some 12 step life guide and not needing faith.

You have to remember that unlike Christianity and Islam Eastern faiths dont have a time limit of an impending day of judgement breathing down their necks. Likewise they didnt have the instruction in their faith mandating them to go out and convert people

Buddhism is a religion with sects. Hinduism isn't a religion in the technical sense because it doesn't have 'sects' that all nominally adhere to a general belief. If you talk to different Hindus they will mostly have radically different beliefs, practices and traditions that separate them from each other. Hinduism is an essential part of Vedic - now Indian - culture.

It's the same way Paganism isn't a religion, but a word to describe the numerous deities, belief systems and traditions that incorporate the definition of what it is to be a Pagan.

>Hinduism isn't a religion in the technical sense because it doesn't have 'sects'
WHAT
blown away that someone could be so ignorant
what a load of wank, thinking hinduism is just a "cultural" thing and not a faith.

But your entire Biblical canon is itself rife with contradictions, anachronisms, errors, mistakes, and obvious edits/interpolations.

Shut the fuck up you stupid nigger, he's right and you need to read a fucking book for once in your life.

>obvious edits/interpolations.

Thats a myth without foundation in fact.

Explain to me how it is please, I'd rather not just have your constant replies of 'WOW HOW DUMB HAHA!' because it's no better than

how about you lot actually learn about Indian culture rather than spouting a load of nonsense

hinduism is nothing but sects upon sects of different beliefs, its highly ritualized and faith plays a major role, its more than just Indian culture but a set codified system of beliefs and practices which have been expanded upon for mellenia.
not to mention there is an entire preistly caste.
the only thing is that it's very decentralized with no central authority, though all the same myths are shared between them.

but if its not a religion than neither is Protestantism.

I'd agree with you if it was a culture besides Hindu but Hinduism simply isn't a religion. A basic knowledge from secondary texts and glossing over the Vedic traditions will support this.

considering you aren't Indian and have barely any knowledge of Hinduism plus a rather flimsy definition of what "religion" is no it would not support it.

>considering you aren't Indian

Actually...

>mudslime
>having the audacity to call others retards
*tips*

Protestantism is a part of Christianity you stupid fuck.

There is no original Bible, only manuscripts.
There are inumerous textual variances between the manuscripts and no two manuscripts exactly alike.
The sinful woman/throw the first stone story is an interpolation and this is agreed upon by every scholar even Christian "scholars", as there are older manuscripts without it.

Educate yourself you ignorant christard.

Hmm, I think I see a theme here. Good thing I have good friends and suitable conversation aplenty.

Oh wait

SHIT IT PIT

CRAP IN WRAP

DUMP ON STUMP

POO IN LOO

>implying that I'm Christian

stop being dum

But they did. All Indo-European religions, including Norse paganism and the Hellenic religion originate from an early form of Hinduism.

Actually these and Hinduism came from PIE religion.

spotted the indian nationalist

>Protestantism is a part of Christianity

The caste system is racial.

>every religion has its purpose in a person's life

lol trash

>Compare to the abrahamic one where they have The Truth

Hindus think they're right too, they just meter out righteousness in Karma.

no it isn't

The Aryans were fond of soma.

>implying hinduism isn't PIE religion fused with dravidian beliefs

hint: PIE religion was actually monotheist, with dyeus-phter closely parallel to turko-mongolic tenger etseg (both meaning sky father)

retard

kill yourself

>Protestantism is a part of Christianity

Because it's ridiculous. 330,000,000 gods. Harsh caste system. Designated shitting streets. Holy rivers. Just absurd.

>implying
protestantism is actually a jewish creed, note how with protestantism old testament names suddenly show up

Hinduism is the only pagan religion to not be eliminated by rational modern religions, due to the fact that Hinduism was used by the Indian elite as a ruling structure for a few thousand years. it's caste system became so ingrained into the indian legal, social, and economic system, that Buddhism, Islam, and even European colonialism couldn't stop it.

Which is sad, because it's the religion that needs a rational reformation more than any other religion on earth. Including Islam, which just needs a political reformation (starting with removing Mecca and Medina from the borders of Saudi Arabia and making them an independent region, as well as reducing Saudi influence in war-torn regions that encourage radicalism).

It's been the foundation of their governing system for thousands of years.

They sure did proselytize. By force most likely. but this was all in the pre and early historical periods.

Rationality is a cancer
Islam is incredibly rationalistic which is why it had such outbursts and megalomania

Hinduism is decisively irrational and therefore most fittingly human.

>le meme
>le green text meemee
>le misuing an maymay that's meant to mock atheist neckbeards against a Muslim

lol! good job bro!

Hare Krishna's proselytize a lot
so do Buddhists
both are considered by Hindus as just two of many sects

Because it was an ethnic folk faith and not a universalist culture-independent religion. It's for the same reason that Shinto didn't catch on outside Japan, it has no meaning to those not of the folk it was created in the inextricable context of.

>Islam is incredibly rationalistic

lol

>irrational and therefore most fittingly human

The distinguishing quality of man is reason, it is truly borne none of the lesser animals and rare enough within the human specimen itself.

But a man without reason is certainly less than a man.

Nice bait. By your logic, Europe should be worse than the Middle East.

Rationality evolved in Humans. if it wasn't human, we wouldn't be discussing how wrong you are.

says someone who knows absolutely nothing about Islamic thought
its incredibly rationalistic
if anything the defining triumph of Europe has been its irrationality
only since the cancer of irrationality took over with the French Revolution and all the abuses that came from it have we been sliding down the slope to our ownb demise and ending up just like the Muslims.

read what Dali said on Surrealism as a rejection of rationality following the Great War.
there is a reason he considered himself an Anarcho-Monarchist, being he most irrational and organic form of government he could imagine.

>Rationality evolved in Humans
says who?
rationality is a myth of slaves created to hide the chaotic truth.

its the ideology of ants

India has hundreds of ethnicities and cultures
and Hinduism isn't comparable to Shinto

also Hindu ideas have touched/influenced the entire globe, its the spiritual heartland of humanity.

No it's not dumbfuck

It's spiritual

Because Christianity is ridiculous

3 gods, harsh legal system, pedo priests, holy torture devices, absurd

>someone who knows absolutely nothing about Islamic thought

I used to attend a Muslim club at my old college, I read the Koran, I sat as they prayed.

Fucking nothing rational about it.

>defining triumph of Europe has been its irrationality

goddamn that is retarded

>read what Dali said

lol

youtube.com/watch?v=8tw7LIykvBw

Some people see a woman with 6 arms, one of them holding a sword then scurry off in a panic. The same person could walk past a statue of fat Buddha chillin' and they want to know more.

literally
>poo in loo

because they actually represent a lot of satanic tradition and occultism, same with islam
but islam is a lot more rough without any values exept that you can have as much wifes as you want and everyone of them can be a 13 year old or even younger

Hinduism just represents degeneracy, but without the advantages that you can do what you want which you actually got in Islam.

you talk about catholic church, which doesn't represent Christianity

>do what you want
>islam

>muh I don't want to believe in allah
>death

>muh I want to change religion
>death

Same with other judeo christian religion, instead of death its eternal hell. Due to political correctness.

>telling someone that they will go to hell is just as bad as murdering someone

It was murder before. They changed it to "go to hell" due to political correctness.

citation please.

>Akin to how Christians see Protestants
I actually got triggered.

wew lad

deus vult amirite mein brĂ¼der? *tips crusader*

The reason it didn't spread I think was what many posters said already, iris an ethnic religion centered on India and its mythical landscape and surroundings (mount Kailash, Sri Lanka, the river Ganges), not unlike Egypt with the Egyptians and Israel with the Jews. The only reason Israel became holy for non-jews was because there appeared a new, universalistic religion of the mongrelized, deracinated masses of the Roman Empire, namely Christianity, which masses don't have a concept of ethnicity and homeland.

Isn't the bible centered around the Roman Empire and the middle east? Abyssinia, Israel, Egypt, Syria, Rome,Palestine, Iraq, all important areas in the Bible.

they used to be
Egypt was central to Christianity and Orthodox tradition echos this connection to the East still.

but with the Muslim takeover of Christianity's heartland it really broke away in the West and became a European thing.

10/10 was gonna post this. beat me to it.

>>if anything the defining triumph of Europe has been its irrationality
>only since the cancer of irrationality took over with the French Revolution and all the abuses that came from it have we been sliding down the slope to our ownb demise and ending up just like the Muslims.

wow so much ignorance. If anything, the enlightenment is about the praise of the rationality to explain the society and nature.