Cossacks were the most awesome Slavic group/society, yet I rarely see them mentioned

Cossacks were the most awesome Slavic group/society, yet I rarely see them mentioned.
Let's discuss Cossacks!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks#Context
youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-OzsOmi00
youtube.com/watch?v=yeyDfVjq6sw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Fields)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know much but from what I've read it's like they were the designated pogrom-committers

they were god-tier combined with polish hussars.

Well discuss them then you faggot
don't just say they are cool and expect us to explain why

Some of them were anti-Jewish, but don't make them to be Nazis.
There were even Jewish cossacks. Though majority were fanatically Orthodox.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks#Context

The primary function of Cossacks are to be Anti-Steppenigger societies.

Hence their whole fucking get up from the dress and topknots. That shit is derived from Turkic influence.

I'll post some cossack music, since you guys don't give a shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-OzsOmi00
youtube.com/watch?v=yeyDfVjq6sw
They were stupid for rebelling against Poland and sucking Russian dick.

They got destroyed by Russian armies for that. Tsar treated them like shit.

I can't read cyrillic bruv.

No one can honestly.
But I think whoever made this image, claims they're mongol/tatar rapebabies.

t. pole

>they
Zaporozhian Host rebelled against Poles. Don Host was always with Russia.
Besides, it made more sense for Orthodox Christians to ally with Orthodox Christian empire than with Catholic Poles. And it wasn't just Cossacks, Orthodox peasantry in Polish lands revolted too due to oppression.
It's not so black and white.

Point is that Ukrainians are Turks/Tatars.

>oppression.
[citation needed]

Nah, not claiming that. A lot of people copied Turkic equipment because the Turkics did have a good knack at mounted combat in the Steppes.

>when we were at war

that song is so damn good and i listen to it more often than you know

>Besides, it made more sense for Orthodox Christians to ally with Orthodox Christian empire than with Catholic Poles. And it wasn't just Cossacks, Orthodox peasantry in Polish lands revolted too due to oppression.

"...we will keep the peace between ourselves, and we will not,
for the sake of our various faith and difference of church, either
shed blood or confiscate property, deny favor, imprison or banish,
and that furthermore we will not aid or abet any power or office
which strives to this in any way whatsoever..."
-- Confederation of Warsaw 1573 --

I hope you don't listen to the "female" version of it.

It fucking sucks and is an insult to the cossacks.

Yeah that was on letter, but practice differed.
Do you seriously think people revolted for no reason, and chose Tsarist autocracy over Poland?
I mean, Polish king was even offered the Russian crown and he refused because he didn't want to convert to Orthodoxy. PLC was relatively tolerant but Catholicism was dominant.

>Polish king was even offered the Russian crown and he refused
What a retard.

He was Swedish.

Also, killing princes and other like was fucking common in "Russia" at that time. he didn't want his son to die there.

>Cossacks were the most awesome Slavic group/society
Why is that so?

Romanovs became rulers of Russia thanks to Cossacks mostly as they controlled Moscow during election time.

>Yeah that was on letter, but practice differed.

It was the 16th century so that's to be expected, the point is that Poland was the most liberal society in Europe and Russia was the most ass-backward.

what was the actual difference betveen cossacks as a population/organisation/paramilitary and cossacks as a tzarist army unit? were these considered regulars?

were cossacks a ethnic thing or just a paramilitary organisation, or both at the same time?

They wanted equality with Polish nobles and in return they got annexation and lowering the number of registered cossacks by Russia.

They outjewed themselves.

>PLC was relatively tolerant but Catholicism was dominant.
PLC ceased being tolerant during rule of Sigismund III. Other believers were called Dissidents and were deprived of political rights.

>Sigismund III.
His reign wasn't long. They came back to their old traditions later.

Cossack uprisings were during reign of John II Casimir Vasa, so pretty much 70 if not more years later.

>Vasa

Get Swede'd

He was one of the worst kings in the entire history of the Polish state.

The only thing he did good is that he made Polish fleet bigger.

No shit why do you think we sent that fucker away.

The Vasa kings here are loved to this day.

>No shit why do you think we sent that fucker away.
delet this

It was, but Poles still treated Orthodox Ukrainian (or Ruthenian if you don't want to be anachronistic) peasants like shit and denied rich cossacks equal rights.

Shit, they actually chose Russia BECAUSE it was ass-backwards since it didn't seem like they would be able to oppress them. Then it turned out, just like that other user said, they basically outjewed themselves.

>It was, but Poles still treated Orthodox Ukrainian (or Ruthenian if you don't want to be anachronistic) peasants like shit and denied rich cossacks equal rights.
Ruthenians had a lot of nobles, that were equal to the rest.
Serfdom was a normal thing in that time and Poland didn't have the roughest one.

Cossacks were forbidden from raiding Ottomans, that's why they got butthurt. They literally dragged Poland into war with Ottoman Empire, because they broke a treaty Poles signed with Ottomans.

>His reign wasn't long.
1587 — 1632, 45 years, almost half century

>They came back to their old traditions later.
No, PLC was forced back to religious tolerance only in 1767 by Catherine II and it caused uprising of Catholics.

>Cossack uprisings were during reign of John II Casimir Vasa, so pretty much 70 if not more years later.
In 16 years after death of Sigismund.

Yeah, my mistake.

> Cossacks
> slavic
Everything I've read about them points to them being converted steppeniggers

>Ruthenians had a lot of nobles, that were equal to the rest.
Most got Polonified completely, hence why cossacks were even able to substitute them as elite in the first place. For example, Vyshnevetsky line had the creator of the first cossack fortress and a person who opposed Khmelnytsky during his uprising, Ostrogski line had a person who was nicknamed "Pillar of Orthodoxy" and a devout Catholic later.

>Serfdom was a normal thing in that time and Poland didn't have the roughest one.
Yes, but it was pretty bad in the Eastern parts of the crown because lands were plentiful and magnates there were filthy rich.

>Cossacks were forbidden from raiding Ottomans, that's why they got butthurt. They literally dragged Poland into war with Ottoman Empire, because they broke a treaty Poles signed with Ottomans.
Except they allied with Tatars, of all people, during Khmelnytsky's uprising.

You should stop reading garbage, then.

Listen to this guy. If anyone wants the actual lyrics I took the time out to translate them from the Kuban Choir's actual performance because all lyrics online are shit

That was just a meme. Polish nobles also claimed to be Sarmatian.
Cossacks were overwhelmingly Slavic.

Yeah they're badass, I'm from Eastern Ukraine (Russian) and have a lot of Cossack blood. Here's the thing though, they're not a strictly ethnic group. They lived pretty much through warfare (most of the area associated with Cossacks was actually the intersection between a lot of local powers, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Fields) and generally earned their freedom (appropriate for the time period) in exchange for keeping the borders of the Russian Empire secure.

Cossacks were made up in part of runaways who wanted to start a new life or settlers; they could have been serfs, merchants, criminals, soldiers, whatever. They adopted the styles best suited for the area and generally kept things in order (part of the reason why the Ottomans never extended into Ukrainian areas to any significant extent).

Nowadays Cossacks and their history or culture will probably be spun into whatever position/agenda the individual supports. Ukrainian nationalists (eye roll) will say they represent Ukrainians, Russians will say that they are Russian and fought for the czars, and so on. The truth is that if you're not part of the culture and understand all the details you will generalize and end up at a position that could be considered wrong out of either ignorance or its' incompleteness.

>Here's the thing though, they're not a strictly ethnic group
They're as much of an ethnic group as signal corps or plumber union are one.

>Ukrainian nationalists (eye roll) will say they represent Ukrainians, Russians will say that they are Russian and fought for the czars, and so on
Except that's exactly how it was. Zaporozhian cossacks were mostly Ukrainian because Ukraine was the closest territory and Don cossacks were mostly Russian because Russia was the closest territory, that's all there is to it. The two didn't have a lot of overlapping territories, if any.

>were mostly Ukrainian
In that time there were no Ukrainians. Ukrainian is a regional term and it literally means ''people from borderlands'' and Ukraine is ''borderland''.
Ukrainian identity arose in 19th century, before that they flavored Russians or Polonized Russians.
Unlike for example West Slavs or some South Slavs, East Slavs never diverged enough historically so that we can speak of distinct Ukrainian or Belorussian nations, especially not in historic sense.
These two populations, at least their nationalists, are simply Polonized East Slavs.

>In that time there were no Ukrainians
But what about proto-ukrs?

>plumber union
heh

But yeah, all points. Thing is when people ask about Cossacks I just give them a "tourist" version of who they were, horses, killing Turks, etc. I'm Kuban, mostly, lot of family of Krasnodar. The rest is Russian with a little bit extra mixed in (just from the local area, i.e., I'm from Mariupol and have some Greek blood).

What part don't you understand?
Ukrainians are simply Polonized Russians, and even today we can only speak of Ukrainian nation in the region of Western Ukraine (where Polish influence lasted the longest, and later Austrians encouraged that sentiment).
Ukrainians, Russians and Belorussians are same people.
Those who emphasize Kievan Rus' always ignore Novgorod was another major center at that time. It was the same realm and it's population was same ''nation'', if we can talk about nations in that period.

He's right though.

They have returned to their home planet after conquering all Europe and Asia and passing the gift of civilization to lesser species.

Dude this is Veeky Forums if you wanna post dank memes go to /int/ or /pol/.

Looks like a Slav thing closest to the Rangers, if Injuns and Mexicans were changed into Siberians and Turks, and a pinch of "Muh Orthodoxy" added.
A bit over the edge, like everything else in Slavlands is. I don't remember Arizona Rangers pursuing outlaws to Mexico to pillage and burn a bit there, but it would have been nice if they ever did.

¿Quién es este hombre?