It's the early 1920's and you've been appointed head of the Soviet Union...

It's the early 1920's and you've been appointed head of the Soviet Union. How do you govern it and what changes do you make to avoid the mistakes that Stalin & co. did in real life?

Hard mode: you're not allowed to drop communism.
Ultrahard mode: you're not allowed to adopt capitalism in any form whatsoever for at least 50 years.

Supermegahardmode: still achieve victory in WW2, unless you avoid it.

invade finland and japan.
threaten england to give me cash to survive. or else i will invade from the north. when the 1940s hit. do same with US but with japan instead of finland

>invest heavily in punchcard computers to keep track of economic data and limit pricing/supply issues
>implement limited habeas corpus and property rights, with the caveat that the federal government can still do whatever the fuck it wants
>implement democracy on the local and state level
>fund German moderates to prevent the Wiemar republic form having to choose between communism and fascism
>normalize relations as much as possible

Really, just don't be a dipshit and you'll be fine.

Bump

>It's the early 1920's and you've been appointed head of the Soviet Union.
So I'm a bonapartist party hack who has eliminated the rest of the CC early through violence then?

>How do you govern
With the same violence that brought me to power, duh.

>what changes do you make to avoid the mistakes that Stalin & co. did in real life
You do realise that by mid 1920 it was already too late without a third revolution?

Interesting....

battle and annex china
conquer and annex europe
use slave labor to terraform siberia and the rest of central russia
invade and conquer north america
send first satellite in space in 2150

>>invest heavily in punchcard computers to keep track of economic data and limit pricing/supply issues
You mean like they didn't need to do because their blackbox I/O plans were superior to the diversity of commodity forms up until the 1950s?

>implement limited habeas corpus and property rights, with the caveat that the federal government can still do whatever the fuck it wants
Radek did just that in the 1936 constitution. Didn't save him from being executed under the "federal government still doing whatever the fuck it wants"

>implement democracy on the local and state level
I can see you've not read Fitzpatrick

>fund German moderates to prevent the Wiemar republic form having to choose between communism and fascism
So you're saying you want to liquidate a third to 3/4 of the party in 1921, just after a civil war?

>normalize relations as much as possible
They did that.

Does nobody here actually read?

The computer idea is an interesting one.

In the late 40s, then again in the late 50s, a bunch of Soviet scientists and academics pleaded with the Politburo to invest heavily in computing technology.

The political leaders didn't agree it was worth the cost, and Soviet IT ended up lagging miles behind the West.

There's a few academic papers that speculate how different things could have been had the old men in the Kremlin trusted the academics who foresaw how computers would change the world.

The thing is that the Soviet Union modernised its bureaucratic human systems in the 1920s and 1930s to a level not seen elsewhere until the 1970s. This meant that they were 'technologically' coasting. See the blackbox I/O stuff which premiered BEFORE the first five year plan and which were only integrated into Western Capitalism in the late 1960s.

>2150
Fucking kek

Reinstate the whites to power, release the nations that my people have been oppressing, build a power blob founded on the celebration of our many cultures instead of oppressing said cultures and having them hate me when communism inevitably fails, as it always does and always will.

>terraform siberia and the rest of central russia
that's actually a cool idea

why didn't the soviet union adhere to it more? besides the occasional gulags and stuff

Listen to my advisors, hide in my Dacha with my Japanese picture-books and hope the CIA don't assassinate me.

They did. Most of the GuLag were in new areas of settlement, and Khrushchev's BAM was entirely about terraforming siberia.

>there's only gulags in Siberia

Full retard. What is Novosibirsk, what is Omsk, what is Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk, Tomsk and Tyumen?

1 sentence:

Self sufficient agriculture founded upon cannabis.

> Does anybody her actually read
No,
And neither are they historians or philosophers.

I think it was Bismarck who said
>Crowned heads, wealth and privilege may well tremble should ever again the red and green unite!

Expel the jews

Literally too expensive and not worth it.
They made some areas livable, but turning Siberia into a generally habitable place will take technology and time not seen in our lifetime.

I hand over supreme power of the Soviet Union over to the United States for dollars.

Read an academic article on Viktor Glushkov's plan to completely computerise the Soviet economy in the 60s. He wanted to decentralise the economy and make all money electronic.

> do what Stalin did until 1939
> sign Molotov-Ribentrov treaty
> wait for war
> wait for Germany invading France
> attack their back
> continue my conquest until there is a red flag on Eifell tower

> ow and don't kill most of my army officers, that would be a great idea

>Leave the artists the fuck alone and encourage them to continue experimenting in cinema, painting and any other art form they can think off
>Drop the propaganda so our "no-propaganda" policy becomes effective propaganda
>Massively invest in modernizing agriculture, in science and infrastructure.
>Do not alienate national minorities i.e allow their national language at a local level, grant republics various rights in matters such as education.
>Surround myself with true commies and competent advisors because I obviously can't know it all.

You're expelled from the politbureau in 1925 and executed between 1929 and 1941.

tell my successors to never invade Afghanistan or move missiles into Cuba

They tried. look up whats left of Aral sea.

>ALLOW THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGE AT A LOCAL LEVEL

this meme makes me so angry

literally they did, that was the fucking problem

meme more bruh

afghanistan was not the soviet vietnam

Just NEP harder but support agriculture properly to avoid price scissors.
Suppress Russian chauvinism.
Decentralize while greenlighting national left elites that exist at the time.
Basically confederalise the country while keeping state capitalism and left ideology.

>Just NEP harder but support agriculture properly to avoid price scissors.
Because peasants won't further withdraw effort to enjoy leisure?

Peasants were the ones who got the short end of the stick with NEP, you doofus.

cf: Strauss 1941. With the loss of landlords and the state, about 50% of the socially necessary labour from peasants evaporated overnight. Peasants instantly took this as a chance to enjoy the good things in life, and restricted production to subsistence because of the general lack of integration into a market economy.

>who got the short end of the stick

Yeah, sure.

>cf: Strauss 1941. With the loss of landlords and the state, about 50% of the socially necessary labour from peasants evaporated overnight. Peasants instantly took this as a chance to enjoy the good things in life, and restricted production to subsistence because of the general lack of integration into a market economy.
Peasants had a food tax to fulfill during NEP, what are you even posting about?

The amount of surplus extracted from the village economy by capitalism and the method of extraction; and the resulting decisions by the vast majority of subsistence peasants in the production of corn.