Map thread general

Post cool maps.

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Fra_Mauro_World_Map,_c.1450.jpg
cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>that time I drew an extensively detailed map and simulated realistic human migration patterns before writing up a fictional biography of a king by cobbling together multiple semi conflicting diary entries, propaganda, historic texts all composed by his friends, enemies, family, peasants, and fellow nobles

I am become Tism

Destroyer of social events

here's a better resolution, if anyone wants a closer look:
>upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Fra_Mauro_World_Map,_c.1450.jpg

That's really cool. I know someone who's doing something like that with simulators for accurate geography and fault lines and such. Really cool stuff. I kind of wish I had the patience and creativity to go somewhere with a project like that. Do you mind sharing?

inb4 Americeckistan joke

Hi Isis Phillips

Not the user to who you're replaying to, but on Veeky Forums we occasionally have map threads about making maps for games that [spoiler]we never run because no players and forever DM.[/spoiler] I can't find the rest, but this image is an interesting way to take some interesting shape and make it a sensical piece of geography.

This guide kinda shits on most fantasy maps ever

Noice, I'm looking forward to make a computer game based on a story I'm writing just for the lulz using UE4 so this might help quite a lot.

Fantasy maps are fun as fuck, pic related is what I like to do in free time that I've not spend writing or doing work

How do you make them look so good

Jesus, what's the deal in Southern Muntenia?

Gypsies

whoops, wrong map.

Those regions in southern mutenia have the largest concentration of gypsies.

Layers and opacity, keep everything set to layers so you can add/detract what you want. So keep all your land outline on 1 layer, land colour on 2, mountains and natural geography on other layers, then political boundaries on another, then roads, trade routes and so on.

Also, that guide is very useful (although I admit I've never used it for mine, I just go off my own assumptions).

I'm in favor of this honestly.

Why doesn't the federal government do it then?

Hey user, what program do you use? Your maps look great. I've used Gimp with a handrawn outline. How could I neaten it up like yours? It's for an assignment. Pls help user.

I used GIMP as well, just had a mouse do a big black blob of random landmasses, then got a very small 2px eraser and chipped away at it to create more realistic coastlines and shapes. Kept doing layer upon layer of detail until I got there.

I wouldn't use GIMP if you do it with a drawing tablet, you would probably be better with something like Krita.

The Cartography Guild (cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48) has some great PDF guides as well.