Barbarians "Rising"

deadline.com/2016/05/barbarians-rising-premiere-date-cast-history-1201752253/

Truly after the 'historical' epic of Vikings History now knows where the money is.

>‘Barbarians Rising’: Cast & Premiere Dates For History’s Roman Empire Saga

>Lend us your ears: History has announced the cast and global premiere dates for its limited series about the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. The eight-part Barbarians Rising will invade North American shores on June 6, followed by a conquest of some 185 other territories through summer and into the fall. (See all the dates below.)

>Told from the perspective of the rebel leaders, the series chronicles a wave of rebellions against absolute power by those the Roman Empire called “barbarians” – tribes they viewed as beyond the fringe of civilization that lived a brutish and violent existence. But these also were men and women who launched epic struggles that shaped the world to come with a centuries-long fight to defeat the sprawling
empire.

>The players and their freedom-fighting characters: Nicholas Pinnock as Hannibal, who vowed a blood oath at age 9 to destroy Rome; Ben Batt as Spartacus, the slave-turned-rebel who led a barbarian revolt; Kirsty Mitchell as Boudica, the avenging Celtic warrior queen; Tom Hopper as Arminius, the son of Germany surrendered to Rome; Emil Hostina as Attila, scourge of the east; Gavin Drea as Alaric, the king of the Goths; Steven Waddington as Fritigern, the warrior who took down an emperor; Richard Brake as Geiseric, the last barbarian standing; and Jefferson Hall as Viriathus, the shepherd-turned-rebel leader.

Didn't most of these people fail miserably?
Should be called Barbarians Falling.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bVkaELzUhkk
youtube.com/watch?v=z8wrqe72YG4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Almost as historically accurate as Ancient Aliens.

>Nicholas Pinnock as Hannibal
At least they got the skin color right this time.

>Rebel leaders
>Guys like Attila and Hannibal

So the series will just be ''people the Romans fought''?

Wow i cant wait for a shit load of horrible inaccurate uniforms, weapons and armour.

Why the fuck do these shows even bother labelling themselves as anything but fantasy?

Prepare for some grimdark, punkleather barbarians and Asterix-tier Legionary romans and more general americanised, anachronistic, history destroying shite. They've been given the most A E S T H E T I C and interesting period of history in my opinion and they're going to throw it all away in favour of sons of anarchy 2: Barbarian boogaloo, with stormtrooper romans.

Still going to watch it, but I'm not going to pay for it

>a Black Guy as Hannibal
>Hannibal being Grouped With Germanic Barbarians and a Steppe nigger
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Whats the deal with the BROWN AND DIRTY LEATHER obsession of todays "historical" shit.

It was better in the 50s and 60s, even though it was horribly inaccurate at least it was bright and interesting, even if late romans were wearing 300bc Samnite armour.

>Whats the deal with the BROWN AND DIRTY LEATHER obsession of todays "historical" shit.

Literally Xena and Hercules (those TV shows from the 90s).

>casting someone of sub-Saharan descent as a Semitic/Levantine general

You forgot the token black character and a badass woman warrior.

>Hannibal is black

color wasn't invented until the 1970's of course

>look up Nicholas Pinnock
>tfw

WE

>No Vercingetorix getting raped by Caesar
>mfw they're gonna depict Romans worse than they did in that Spartacus show

we wuz hammibals an shieeee

I liked that Vikings tells a fiction but takes pains to be authentic about clothes, dwellings, etc. I love getting a glimpse of what the Vikings looked like and how they lived. I'm sure there's room for debate.

Guys you're forgetting that Hannibal was actually an oiled naked black man who used duel wielded swords

youtube.com/watch?v=bVkaELzUhkk

Fuck

Vikings is terrible for its armour, clothing uniforms etc. The part you say is fiction is actually the most authentic part of Vikings, though they do compress history, the general timeline of the events is accurate. Thats the best thing about Vikings, the plot isnt about some faggy characters and their relationships, it's about huge world changing events.

the title is especially cringeworthy.

"barbarian" was a derogatory term for anyone that wasn't roman/greek.
the modern equivalent would be something like: the dawn of the nigger empire

>the dawn of the nigger empire
Considering the cast they might as well name it that.

>Boudica

is there a bigger meme historical figure? She exists just so feminists have a leg to stand on with WE WUZ WARRIOS AND SHIT

>Token.
In Spartacus they made like 1/5 of Rome population it seemed. And half of cilicia.

She's an extraordinary failure. It takes a monumental amount of idiocy to fuck up so hard your entire tribe gets wiped out of existence despite you having 25 times more men and a homefield advantage.

The meme here is that she's portrayed as some kind of heroic general and not the absolute fuckup she was. She should be up there with general Samsonov and George Custer.

what's even better is that she either pussied out and committed suicide or just died of disease, at least failures like Custer still went out in battle

How exactly are they going to justify Hannibal being black?

Well he's from Carthage, which is in Africa, therefore he was black you fucking racist

By being retarded Americans.

>black people live in Africa
>Hannibal was Carthaginian
>Carthage is in Africa
>therefore, Hannibal was black

I'm not even kidding when I say that 99% of Americans think that African and black are synonyms.

Sure I guess...but it takes two seconds to google "Hannibal Barca". How the hell could they get it so wrong?
Well can't say I expected anything good from the "Muh Aliums" Channel anyway

Many of the costumes are directly taken from illustrations of the time. No doubt there are many failings. The part I say is fiction would concern Ragnar Lodbrok. He's a great and fun figure of myth, like King Arthur. The large brush of historical movement I don't contend.

They won't do 2 seconds google. They will hire historians who, if they disagree with the ethos of the show they fire, but more likely, the historians are your typical boring historians who only give a shit about political dynasties, kings and queens, and have no fucking clue on how things actually looked back then.

If it was legit they'd be wearing furs with the elites in mail. But they all have weird ass leather armours. As for the Saxons and Franks, that is terrible. The Saxons have weird uniforms which wasn't a thing, but also its wrong. The Franks again have uniforms but their equipment is from several centuries later.

There was some shitty historical show about the same period set in Britain which gave all the Saxons square shields of plain wooden planks. You know, the people famous for their colourful round shields. They again were also wearing high period medieval armour. It's just not acceptable in anything proclaiming to be historical.

Ugh, Hannibal is black. Why did they have to inject that debate into it? It is such a large stretch. Then call it a re-imagining and be done with it.

>Veeky Forums shits its pants over a black Hannibal but is perfectly fine with this fag playing Viriato

At least he's the right skin colour

Not really.

>pale blond haired blue eyed northern european cuck is playing a Lusitanian

Both Snowniggers and Niggers should stop their WEWUZism

And a Romanian is playing a Hun.

This guy is Portuguese. While Portuguese people are generally darker, it's not THAT uncommon to find a lighter skinned guy in Portugal.

Meanwhile there is nothing remotely black about the historical Hannibal.

Thats basically the same skin colour. just different hair

Honestly I don't mind race or gender swapping in theater. As long they're portraying the character well that's all that matters. In movies and shit though it is supposed to be photo real and not bullshit like that

This is 2,000 years after pre-Christian Iberia. Since that time there have been waves of Vandals, Suebi, Visigoths, Franks, and others. What did the Romans say about the Iberians?

>"The Silures have swarthy features and are usually born with curly black hair, but the inhabitants of Caledonia have reddish hair and large loose-jointed bodies. They are like the Gauls or the Spaniards."
Jordanes

Would you be fine with Luis Figo, assuming he could act, playing Harald Hardrada or Alfred the Great? Didn't think so.

So it's fine when northern Europeans >we wuz kings but when nigs do it it's unacceptable...

>Meanwhile there is nothing remotely black about the historical Hannibal.

We know that, all of his knows that, but we can't do anything about it. The TV channels that are supposed to educate the masses turned to shit a long time ago, and the only thing we can do is look at /pol/ chimp out every now and then, often ending up being counterproductive.

I give up.

>Many of the costumes are directly taken from illustrations of the time
>West Saxons wearing bascinets and brigandine
k cuzzy brew, they're proper accurate

>Many of the costumes are directly taken from illustrations of the time
Such as?

No but you're comparing two white people with a black against a jew

I'm not fine with it. They clearly went "hmm he's a celt, let's give him blonde hair, just like my belgian cartoons" the scottish bitch playing Boudica is slightly annoying too. I'm glad they didn't give Attila to some Mongolian, but the costumes will probably be cliched as fuark

I'm comparing two peoples (Iberians and Northern Europeans) who have obviously different physical characteristics. They don't look the same and it's ridiculous, IMO, that some pale Englishman is playing a Lusitanian. As I said, if things were reversed people would be annoyed that a swarthy southern European is playing a Germanic king, and rightfully so.

So popular history trash then.

Lusitanians weren't Celts. Linguists haven't been able to definitively classify their language as yet. And this is to say nothing about the fact that "Celt" isn't a race which has fairly uniform physical characteristics.

I agree that a black guy playing Hannibal is ridiculous. I'm just saying it's hypocrisy to moan about this and be fine with a blond haired blue eyed guy playing a Lusitanian.

>Jew
>that moment when you realise that the Carthagians used the Shekels

Rather surprised they didn't include Julius Civilis.

>Lusitanians weren't Celts.
My mistake, I thought they were related to celtiberians.

>And this is to say nothing about the fact that "Celt" isn't a race which has fairly uniform physical characteristics.
Yeah that was my point

this is why they should stop making historical fiction

it gets the worst out of people on the internets

>History channel production funding 800 years worth of roman history for one series
>prepare for lorica segmentata at Cannae and the fall of the west

>Nicholas Pinnock as Hannibal

Reality becomes more and more like a /pol/ meme

The fact they are trying to portray Attila as some kind of underdog is hysterical. They even changed his epithet to make him sound less ominous. What a fucking joke.

This is either some of the most artfully crated bait I have ever seen or you are a victim of misinformation. Either way, vikings has almost nothing in common with Iron Age scandinavian material culture, except maybe some of the weapons but even that is a stretch. Its a lovely "inspired by history" piece but should be taken with more authority than Shakespeare's plays have on their historical subjects. I'll post a few accurate vikings.

even that last picture has some anachronisms I just noticed.

last one, a few issues here still but better than vikings by a mile, if you truly want to learn about this I suggest looking into academic articles or just looking into the osprey books.

More like /pol/ memes are at least partially based in reality

>I give up.
this is how things get this bad

just come up with a reasonable non/pol/ tier argument and memeify it

More often than not the historians they hire do care its just that the costuming department needs to create a reason to exist in historical drama and therefore will pressure the director into not listening to the historian on matters of material culture, that and most of the ones they hire don't do anything except sit around so they can say they had a historian consult them, but not actually listen to him.

Is that Touchdown Eddie ?

>Nicholas Pinnock as Hannibal,
A fucking black hannibal

I am Tunisian and I can't fucking stand Americans you ruin everything with your fucking retarded fucking stupidity seriously

Why did History have to go shit, Veeky Forums? I don't get it, you actually learned the basic shit and it was good. Now it's just reality TV.
Fuck Vice for buying H2.

It's portraying history accurately.

I apologize on behalf of these cuckold producers, many of us don't like this shit either.

>Americans
You misspelled "Jews".

kill me now

Seriously, couldn't they have cast someone who is actually of North African descent? Was Said Taghmaoui too busy?

AYO HOL' UP
*smacks lips*
SO YU BE SAYIN'
WE WUZ CARTHAGE AN SHIIIEEETT

just any dornish actor in GoT would do (one already played Hannibal for the BBC lel)

Hannibal was black, that's why the Romans were surprised when he could stand the cold long enough to go
>OVER THE ALPS PERHAPS

>Seriously, couldn't they have cast someone who is actually of North African descent?
A Leb would be better, unless Hannibal was just a punicised native

Hannibal wasn't Tunisian/Arab so you shouldn't feel any pride for him anyway.

Wrong. It's Saving Private Ryan, and Oliver Stone.

Let's lump 300 too as well.

North Africans today are still largely genetically the same as ancient North Africans. The Arabs forced them to assimilate to their language, religion, and more or less culture, but they didn't wholesale replace them genetically.

what was wrong with bashir

Except Lustinians did have pale blondes among them.

Just not that many.

You better be fucking joking nigger. Whats next? Black hitler?

It's a play though, it isn't meant to be historical, although it is based on historical characters and events. Black Hannibal on the other hand is supposed to represent the historical Hannibal Barca, and that's the real issue, afrocentrism seems to have become accepted in the US.

Proof?

>except blacks did fight in WWI, just not that many
>therefore we should put a black man on the front cover of our WWI video game

>a black hannibal
wew lad

>yfw Attila fighting Romans wearing Lorica Segmentata with rectangular shields and gladii
Just end my life now desu

I know how you feel.... I'm black too.

Wasn't Carthage of mixed Ethnicity? numidia and tunsinia are from Africa but they sure as hell aren't sub suharan.

Carthaginians were originally Phoenician though weren't they? That would make him Levantine not North African

This is true, and you are right. They were dark skinned, but they weren't black.

>History Channel
>America
>people you are debating here enjoy this shit tier infotaiment
Dropped

>600 years of Roman empire
>they all fight barbarians in Lorica Segmentata

Fucking army reforms, how do they work Hollywood?

>Arab
Stop memeing, North Africans are still largely the same people as back then. Compare Saudi Arabia and Tunisia on this map, do they look like the same thing to you?

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CARTHAGE

phonecians weren't dark skinned

youtube.com/watch?v=z8wrqe72YG4

More like failed gloriously.