ITT: We conclusively decide what is and is not a spook

ITT: We conclusively decide what is and is not a spook.

Religion

I still haven't gotten myself around to reading chapter 2.

What motivation do you have

Are spooks spooks?

Everything non physical that limits us
morals, ethics, religion, the state, etc

This shitty meme isn't funny.

Stop.

every chapter is better than the last, until he gets into the political shit.
then you might as well close it.
>union of egoists
aint nobody got time fo dat.

Just to clarify, "spook" is just a simplified synonym for any abstract artificial construct that has no observable basis in reality. It mostly applies to morality and "duty". People using the term in any other way are simply wrong. There is no way to decide what is and what isn't a spook, it's simply a label that applies to a specific kind of concept that is effortless to identify.

>conclusive decisions

Well spooked, my property.

obviously, mr tautology

Somebody post that image of Stirner sucking his own dick.

Yes.

>pubes span his entire shaft
shaving is a spook

If you don't go through the political shit, you don't get to the final chapter, which is by far the most beautiful.

Are you talking bout the part on liberalisms? That shit is fucking brilliant.

"no max, you are the spooks"

and then max was a spook

Its a more poetic way of saying fixed ideas. The reason he uses the term spook is because it creates a nice image of how these ideas like ghosts whilst not having a material existence they can interact with the world by possessing people.

i just mean it's entirely impractical for anyone's life.
so if you're reading max for some enlightening thoughts, it's best to keep spookbusting to the personal realm.

Behold a spook

Everything except consciousness
/thread

Where did you get that understanding?

It's the only thing that isn't an illusion.

Spooks aren't defined being by being illusory though.

>yfw you realize meme magic can turn spooks real

Is the idea that the holocaust was immoral just a spook?

Granted, wasting resources unnecessarily for the goal of exterminating the jews would be pointless to an übermensch, however they could use the chaos to profit by confiscating their property for example and they might manipulate other plebs into hating jews in order to help open opportunities like this.

No the idea that one should be bound by moral rules is what is a spook.

but if I am not bound by moral rules, what is to stop me murdering jews

Why is not murdering jews important to you?

How is the Ego not a spook?
>I'll just claim that everything is a spook and then arbitrarly say that the Ego is real
This philosopher is a joke, eat shit Stirnerfag.

Nobody follows morals they dont like anyway so im not really sure whats stopping you from doing it right now.

Two factors
the first is lacking the power to do so
the second is lacking the will to do so

The first is rather simple but with respect to the second you have to ask yourself if you desire to murder jews because they are part of a spook that haunts you. You see spooks go both ways, wanting to be a ruggard individual can be damming spooky if its not authentic contrary to the thought of other egoists

>How is the Ego not a spook?
Thats closer to a translation issue the word he uses is closer to the unique one. You cannot become a spook as a spook is defined by its alien nature. You cannot be alien to yourself even if you can have a lot of misconceptions about just what you are and want

Everything I don't like.

I never understand what the point of these thread is since its pretty easy to find out what a spook is simply by reading the wiki. Are people on Veeky Forums really this stupid?

I like to think its a meme like HRE even though secretly I think it is stupidity

You're spooking me, stop.

economy is the king of all spooks

>yfw the whole economy is based on debt, which is fundamentally a judgement of morality, and not a judgement of objective value

Man, is there anything in this world that isn't just a huge haunted house of spooks?

This

Can someone post the pasta where the guy tries to convince his girlfriend that everything is his property?

The funniest thing is that when it comes to national debt, it really IS a spook. Countries just pretend like it matters to be polite when actually nobody gives a fuck. US owes gorillions to China, but what the fuck does it matter. China can't force payments and wouldn't want to hurt their primary trading partner economically anyway.

I really like Stirner's own "march of history". I know it's phrased as if it's an actual historical narrative (the ancient, the modern man, and on and on) but I think it has more to do with the internal march of a man's soul (spirit). Kierkegaard writes about the same exact thing in The Sickness Unto Death, which was cool to see a kind of converged thinking between the two, who never met.

Marx truly was BTFO so hard. He misunderstood literally everything Stirner said. "Muh muh society changes according to material goods, not ideas!" Nigga you just don't get it YOU JUST DON'T GET IT

>ancient man - find the spook behind the real
>modern man - find the spook behind the spook
pretty fantastic framing of history honestly

>but I think it has more to do with the internal march of a man's soul (spirit)
didn't he also make allusions to it being an individual's life anyway? i remember him discussing infants trying to figure out how things work and relating it to ancient man

this is not a philosopher

the notion of being a philosopher is a spook. step your game up, my property.

> he takes stirners cod Hegelian theory of history seriously.

My main board is /x/ ad I have dedicated my life to the search for the paranormal and the supernatural. Is my search for spooks a spook?

Sure it is.

Book title?

Reality

in so far as it prevents you from exerting power over the world (doing w/e you want), yes

The Ego and It's Own

No, not all artificial constructs are spooks, just those that exert undue influence on the ego, and prevent it from self-actualizing

You should actually read The Ego and its Own yourself instead of basing your opinions of Stirner on retarded 14 yr old spookposters that of no idea what theyre (or Stirner is) talking about

yes

People like things for different reasons. Some reasons are spooky, others not so much.

I have neutral feelings about the idea I am a mere mortal who understands little about the universe thus it would be arrogant to mess with the most clear and obvious morals. I have adopted this idea because it seems true (or very likely).

I also generally value sapient beings like myself, this might be part philosophical and part egotistical, don't know. If I were satan I'd be cool, I'd be like "so you were naughty for a few years as a dumb human and now you've spent a million being roasted and jabbed with pitchforks, you're pretty much not even the same person anymore, how about we have a giant basketball tournament instead".

If these were conclusively proven to be spooks there would be little to stop me murdering jews for personal gain if a situation like that arose.

I have little doubt that if the world were full of egoists things like the holocaust would be unlikely to happen, the 2 factors you mentioned would result in 2 things respectively.

lacking the power to do so = people would realize how the world works and act to make themselves harder to exploit

lacking the will to do so = people would avoid irrational reasons to be beastly to each other more

These are good insights, however it is still incomplete. If someone benefits slightly by inflicting enormous suffering on other sapient beings they would still do so in a heartbeat. Many aspects of our society depend on people behaving even though there are no consequences to their actions. All things considered this is a problem for anyone worldly who realizes they shouldn't dismiss a glaring problem like this and leap to conclusions. Religion tries to solve this problem by trying to give people reasons not to act in their self-interest all the time and fails, but that does not make the goal invalid.

Is hunger a spook?

>>>union of egoists
But that concept has the potential to revolutionize contemporary analytic political philosophy, if only analytic philosophers would read Stirner next to Nozick--but they're literally afraid of him, so they won't.

>These are good insights, however it is still incomplete. If someone benefits slightly by inflicting enormous suffering on other sapient beings they would still do so in a heartbeat. Many aspects of our society depend on people behaving even though there are no consequences to their actions. All things considered this is a problem for anyone worldly who realizes they shouldn't dismiss a glaring problem like this and leap to conclusions. Religion tries to solve this problem by trying to give people reasons not to act in their self-interest all the time and fails, but that does not make the goal invalid.

Thats partially what I was trying to achieve there. For the spookless person there is literally nothing to stop them from doing bad things, but because of those two factors people becoming authentic wouldnt lead to the a world of holocausts.

The biggest misunderstanding with Stirner is that he makes a "virtue" of being an asshole.

> Religion tries to solve this problem by trying to give people reasons not to act in their self-interest all the time and fails, but that does not make the goal invalid.

I think the danger comes from religion is that it gives legitimacy to spooks which is a huge issue

No

Literally Descartes.

How so? Im not familiar with him outside his meme quote

Spooks are just social constructs.

such as?

Stirner and De Sade may help with basic principles, but they do not help to survive, to get the kind of power which is really important. Satire is valuable because it shows how much of what people think important is merely windy pretension, how easy it is in this society to think one is achieving ones aims, satisfying and sublimating ones instincts, when from an objective neutral point of view one is completely ridiculous, self deluded, living in an artificial subculture which has no relation to the permanent values it apes. That is decadence.

"I love men too, but I love them with the consciousness of egoism. I love them because it makes me happy". (Max Stirner)

>If someone benefits slightly by inflicting enormous suffering on other sapient beings they would still do so in a heartbeat.
I'd challenge this assumption

Damn, what a bro

>mfw someone tells me that i have a "responsibility"

>Languages Games

>tripfagging

What is the goal of the ego?

science