What do Atheists and Nihilists have to look forward to? I mean other then worldly goals

What do Atheists and Nihilists have to look forward to? I mean other then worldly goals.

And what keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?(dont go all goody two shoes we all break the law and sin).what is the meaning of life if there is nothing other than what we see?

Not baiting I'm genuinely curious

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ttongsul
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Look forward to.
Worldly goals.
>And what keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?
The eternal rule of "Don't be a dick." Which religions simply hijacked.

You don't need to have something to look forward to and life doesn't need to have a meaning.

Evil is relative and there's no universal agreement to what it is.

This thread is a meme. This post is also a meme. Have a day.

you're pretty sad if you can't find these answers yourself

Ghost Blowjobs.

Woo woo.

This. Fuck off OP. The whole "how can atheists be moral" is incredibly stupid and a dead horse on itself.

Nothing to look forward to...live on the present... We're all insects limited in consciousness to the little globules of time we find ourselves in, it's all for naught otherwise. 'Tis but folly to blindly hold out hope for the future...death and taxes etc.

As for doing something bad? Hohum, user. He who goes beyond good and evil will not recognize good or bad, but will see that which brings power and strength and that which undermines and saps creative energies...

>What do Atheists and Nihilists have to look forward to? I mean other then worldly goals.

> I mean other then worldly goals.

why would you make that destinction? if someone doesnt believe in something other than reality then why woyld you even ask if they want something beyond it?

>What do atheists and nihilists have to look forward to other than worldly goals?
Nothing.

>What keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?
Myself.

>What is the meaning of life is there is nothing other than what we see?
Well, nihilists believe that there is no meaning to life, and atheists might derive meaning from what we see.

Atheist here
Something to look forward? Sure. An apartment, a qtpa2t to call my own, a well paying job.. Other than wordly goals? Well user what is there except worldly goals?
>What keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted
The rational knowledge that that something is evil or bad, ooobviously.
>What is the meaning of life
Do you ask everyone this

Why do some religious people do bad things in your opinion, OP?

No true scotsman incoming

Because they are mislead or their faith isn't strong.

See

Healthy humans are conditioned by evolution to 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' It's just another expression of the auto preservation instinct.
Feels good to be good.

This. Most people, by themselves, are fairly "loving" or indifferent to each other. Groups of people, on the other hand...

>What do Atheists and Nihilists have to look forward to? I mean other then worldly goals.

Personally, working a job that I like, making friends etc. or is that a "worldly goal"? If so, I'm confused and I don't know what counts as a non-worldly goal

>And what keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?(dont go all goody two shoes we all break the law and sin).

I believe I'm a good person with morals. I don't believe in "sin"

>What is the meaning of life if there is nothing other than what we see?

That is something I've pondered but at the same time it doesn't make me a believer

>What do Atheists and Nihilists have to look forward to? I mean other then worldly goals

Getting laid, eating nice food, reading interesting books, doing things with friends, smoke weed, jerk off

>And what keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?(dont go all goody two shoes we all break the law and sin)
I've been raised by my parents to be a decent human being. Also law.

>What is the meaning of life if there is nothing other than what we see?
Life doesn't have an inherent meaning. It's what you make of it :^)

>hat do Atheists and Nihilists have to look forward to? I mean other then worldly goals.
Nothing. This world is all we have after all.
>What keeps you from doing evil
Human empathy.

Do you need God for preventing you from killing everything and eating shit, OP?

No, but not everybody is all that nice.like serial killers who cannot sympathise with their victims.

Many people only do good for reward. And my faith preaches that he who does good to please God/Allah/Yahweh/Vishnu/Elohim/Tengri is superior to the good done only for safeguard from hell fire

>religious serial killers don't exist.

> I mean other then worldly goals.
If you honestly do not think goals in the world are worthwhile this is literally the definition of nihilism. Trying to defer your goals to some after-life is basically a death-cult way of thinking.

>And what keeps you from doing something evil
You're on a philosophy board. There are multiple moralities, and thus multiple definitions for evil.

> sin
You do realize no one believes in this but Christians? Is your ability to put yourself in other people's shoes this shallow

>what is the meaning of life
LOL
"meaning" presupposes teleology to be a thing. It's a huge part of Christianity because Aristotle was basically a demi-God to them. Not everyone follows a teleological way of thinking.

Holy shit Christians are fucking shallow.

maybe its not so simple, maybe life is a continuous existence, only momentary (you)s die, only forms change, maybe this is true of all reality, maybe that is all thats true

it's called morale. not sure if you've ever heard of it.

Atheist/Nihilist/Stoic here.

Nothing. But that isn't bad, that's just the way things are. Truth to me is the single holiest thing.

Knowledge. Doing good just feels right, or "correct" to me. It's like shitting in the toilet instead of shitting in your pants - you can do both, but I prefer to shit in the toilet. I can't help myself, but I find it impossible to do "bad things" despite knowing better.

Also.

>what is the meaning of life if there is nothing other than what we see?

No meaning. If you can't see something, or deduce it from the things you see, how can you even know it's there?

/thread

Religious people are apparently literally too stupid to understand that everything they have as goals for life apart from MUH SERVILITY, atheists can have too.

As an atheist I look forward to the afterlife.

> And what keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?
Cultural inertia from the morality established by their religious forebears. The moment that inertia fades away amoral hedonism becomes the norm.

You just have to look at posts like and reflect upon the bloody purges of officially atheist states with entirely materialist derived "ethics" like the Soviet Union and Red China to see that morality cannot exist without a metaphysical foundation.

>Truth to me is the single holiest thing.

Literally just refuted yourself.

> Doing good just feels right, or "correct" to me. It's like shitting in the toilet instead of shitting in your pants - you can do both, but I prefer to shit in the toilet.
You realize the only reason you think this way is because your parents who were also raised to think that way taught you to do so right?

Your morality could not exist without the religious traditions of your ancestors anymore than you would spontaneously have toilet trained yourself if you were raised as a feral child. It would never even have occurred to you that shitting your pants was wrong.

Perhaps you should read Hobbes

>what keeps you from doing something bad
Jail, any other answer is wrong

Hell is a otherworldly jail, so it's not just atheists, literally on the end of the line its just because people are afraid of punishment and come up with all sorts of bullshit excuses to seem less cowardly then they are

The feeling of shit on your ass isn't pleasant, most feral people shat on the ground in holes and some even knew to relegate it to a relatively separate area to not fuck up water or food. It isn't some institution keeping us on the John, it's simple logic.
Similarly, if can imagine what pain feels like and it makes you very uncomfortable, then you can use your empathy to see why you would not want to inflict it on others.
If you can't and need some kind of all powerful space dad threatening to set you on fire instead, that's fine, but you shouldn't assume that everyone does. There certainly are people who would be more moral with religion just as there are people who are still immoral despite their religion.

how's that?

You have to create something for yourself. There is no inherit meaning to life.

Well, I'm not a prick.
That being said; Morality is subjective.

I completely agree with this response.

Nothing, I want nothing. Atleast I didn't have anything to complain about before I was born.

Neitzsche talked about how people completely forego this life for the possibility of a better one latter

He said instead we should affirm life
Though that doesn't mean being a drug addled moron or criminal

>The feeling of shit on your ass isn't pleasant, most feral people shat on the ground in holes and some even knew to relegate it to a relatively separate area to not fuck up water or food. It isn't some institution keeping us on the John, it's simple logic.
Please.
People aren't logical, and the only reason you think it's logical to avoid shit is because you know it's bad. Why do you know it's bad? because you were taught to do so. The fact that you have to say SOME ancient people knew to keep shit separate from food and water only reinforces the fact that is taught and not innate behavior.

Living a good healthy life. Both physically, psychologically and spiritually.

>And what keeps you from doing something evil or bad when tempted?(dont go all goody two shoes we all break the law and sin).what is the meaning of life if there is nothing other than what we see?

Confucian virtues you chucklefuck. Not everything about morals have to revolve around a magical being in the sky.

adding to this, morality is to an extent neccisary for society to function. no civilization could exist without someone to punish and discourage murder and theft

>it's logical to avoid shit is because you know it's bad. Why do you know it's bad? because you were taught to do so.

lmao. You don't actually believe that, do you?

needing a reason to not do bad is pretty pitiful. Morals can exist without religion bruv.

I am not a Christian

Not that I disagree, but always remember pic related.

Faith

Of course I believe that.
The fact that feral children don't toilet train themselves and dogs eat shit is evidence of this. Where is your evidence to support the claim that uneducated people magically know that shit is bad?

This just means that society and civilization cannot exist without some form of religious foundation.

>dogs eat shit

That's a defect, not normal behavior. Shit contains bacteria that can cause infections, the aversion towards shit is inborn. Babies cry when they shit their pants!

But it doesn't matter either way, this is not a discussion about feces. Logic and empathy are inborn, that's the point, and that's fact. (google intelligence tests for babies, etc. pp.)

The smell of shit is supposed to activate disgust responses from humans, naturally. Humans are wired to avoid death, decay, and disease. So yes, shitting your pants and letting it sit there is something a normal human would not want. Even if they did, humans are naturally social and the "tribe" so to speak would tell that individual to clean themselves.

So it's nature and nurture. Most human behaviors are a little of both.

> The smell of shit is supposed to activate disgust responses from humans, naturally.
Meaningless in and of itself.
The smell of cheese is the exact same odor produced by the exact same bacteria that produces body odor. You can shape how someone reacts to that smell by changing the context it is presented in. Tell someone that it's a hobo's socks and they will gag. Tell someone it's a gourmet cheese and they will salivate.

Shit and the reaction it's smell produces should logically be no different.

>people can be conditioned to react differently
What is the point of this post? You're making the exact same argument that you claimed was bullshit earlier.

>Shit contains bacteria that can cause infections
And tobacco smoke contains carcinogens that promote cancer yet that hasn't stopped people from smoking tobacco for hundreds of years.

>But it doesn't matter either way, this is not a discussion about feces.
It is when someone makes the argument that morality is inborn in the same way toilet training is inborn, which it isn't.

> You're making the exact same argument that you claimed was bullshit earlier.
Where did I make the claim that morality is taught to humans and not innate, is bullshit?

>It is when someone makes the argument that morality is inborn in the same way toilet training is inborn, which it isn't.
except it is. lack of empathy is actually a mental illness, sociopathy. you can see that part of their brain is underdeveloped

>People aren't logical, and the only reason you think it's logical to avoid shit is because you know it's bad.

No, I was taught WHY it was bad and make my decisions based on that knowledge. Ancient people noticed that mixing shit into your food tasted bad and some of the more detail oriented noticed that it was associated with sickness.

The logic part is:

Putting shit into my food tastes bad
Putting shit into my food leads to illness
I don't want to taste bad things or get ill
Conclusion: I will avoid getting shit into my food.

>you don't need religion to be a good person

Human empathy is extremely limited in it's scope and does not inherently lead to a system of morality.

>comparing immediate infection through feces with long-term cancer from tobacco

dude, it's alright.

> Ancient people noticed that mixing shit into your food tasted bad
and yet...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ttongsul

to be quite frank the only reason I'm still here is because Evola told me to ignore the corrupt word and that self-discovery and self-improvement are the only things of genuine merit left in the Kali Yuga.

Tobacco is addictive which almost by definition overrides your decision making process. But even so the rates of tobacco use fall whenever people are informed of the consequences.

>eating shit means you will automatically come down with an immediate bacterial infection.

Are you familiar with the concept of incubation times?

>But even so the rates of tobacco use fall whenever people are informed of the consequences.
Sort of like how the murder rate falls if people believe they will automatically go to hell if they commit murder?

Atheists in the United States have the lowest rates of all crimes and countries with lower rates of religion have increased levels of societal health.

Morality simply requires a rational consideration for the consequences of your actions.

catharsis

>This short life is all that there is. I know that for a fact.

>Atheists in the United States have the lowest rates of all crimes
Meaningless in and of itself as American atheism has traditionally been most prevalent in demographics with a low crime rate to begin with. I suspect as atheism becomes mainstream the amount of crime committed by atheists will increase.
>countries with lower rates of religion have increased levels of societal health.
and how exactly is "societal health" determined?

>Morality simply requires a rational consideration for the consequences of your actions.
Morality requires the belief that your actions have negative consequences in the first place, and some people that you don't care about being sad about your actions are not a negative consequence from a rational point of view.

there is no meaning to life you silly goose

prove me wrong

hard mode: no bible, koran or other abrahamic fairytale

Obviously you cant kno nuffin but it's the most reasonable assumption.

Why?

What do theists have to look forward to?

Heaven? Why would you want eternal ANYTHING? Shit gets repetitive. You need some negatives in life or else the positives are hollow.

Reincarnation? Again, shit gets repetitive. How many times do you think you can live before it gets old?

What is the meaning of life for theists? To be a slave to some deity? That's no more inherently meaningful than being a slave to some person.

No religion really answers the question "What is the meaning of life?". They just kick the can.

yes, but morality is a natural consequence of empathy. it's just a matter of expanding the "in" group to more than your little tribe, which is neccisary for building large social structures like we have today

The meaning of life is to fuck. We're not special snowflakes.

> it's just a matter of expanding the "in" group to more than your little tribe,

Which is an entirely irrational idea.

to be fair though reincarnation can't exactly get boring when you never remember your past lives

> Heaven? Why would you want eternal ANYTHING? Shit gets repetitive. You need some negatives in life or else the positives are hollow.

Hence why we suffer here on earth. Hence why eternal punishment for the damned is a concept.

You claimed that avoiding shit was learned behavior. You then claimed that people would be attracted to something that they were naturally repulsed by if they were conditioned to be. >People aren't logical, and the only reason you think it's logical to avoid shit is because you know it's bad. Why do you know it's bad? because you were taught to do so.
Now you're saying the opposite.

why is it irrational? do you want to live in a tiny tribe? personally I would prefer to live in modern society then in some small family of hunter gatherers.

If you can't remember your past lives, you can't know you have them. They don't affect you at all.

You're basically a different person each time.

>You claimed that avoiding shit was learned behavior. You then claimed that people would be attracted to something that they were naturally repulsed by if they were conditioned to be.

These two statements contradict each other how exactly?

I agree. just saying on a technical note that if there was reincarnation it wouldn't get boring unless we actually could remember our past lives

There is plenty of stuff in life to look forward to, doubly so when you don't follow a life-denying ideology.

Well I'll leave aside my autism about """evil""", but in general there's the obvious fear of prosecution, or revenge, the fear of being socially outcast or even disliked, the fact that harming people is immensely unpleasant barring sadists, the fact that harming people aan cause psychological damage and is evidence of an unhealthy mind, the desire for strong relationships, friendships and to be liked, the desire for a strong society where people trust each other, a love for people and a love for spooks like virtue, etc. Instead of asking why they don't do evil, ask yourself why would they?

Doesn't really matter to me as I rarely get tempted to do things people would consider evil or bad. I prefer playing the "good guy"

to live it.

Neither eternal punishment for the damned nor earthly suffering solves the problem of heaven getting boring.

I'm 24 and I'm already getting bored with life, I can't imagine an eternity of one thing. Sounds horrible. The only possibility this leaves I guess is that heaven and hell are the same.

Logically that would follow yes. In reality its more complex because areas that are poor have higher crime rates and high rates of religion. This holds true on a city, state and national level. High rates of religion do not correlate with lower crime.

> personally I would prefer to live in modern society then in some small family of hunter gatherers.
I very much doubt that you would prefer living among people you view as strangers over people you view as family.

You assume the people in heaven were not transformed into beings who would not be bored in heaven.

Bad assumption.

> I'm 24 and I'm already getting bored with life,
If you find life boring it is because you are boring not because life is boring.

in either case i do have my family. but in one case I have a larger and stronger support network, a government protecting me from harm and punishing those who attempt to do so in addition to modern technology

My death is what I look forward the most.

>This thread is a meme

looking forward to anything is a marketing meme

First post best pot

In heaven you sorta become a ball of light, and the only thing you feel is an endless orgasm as you bask in the glory of god, or so I've heard.

> but in one case I have a larger and stronger support network, a government protecting me from harm and punishing those who attempt to do so in addition to modern technolog
You only have the illusion of that. Your rights are much more secure in a small society than a large one that dehumanizes you by necessity.

even that would get boring.