The BF1 reveal shitstorm made me realize that Europeans actually care about ww1

the BF1 reveal shitstorm made me realize that Europeans actually care about ww1

Like most Americans that live in the sunbelt, I know literally nothing about the event and do not give any shits about it. However, I also noticed that I tend to have more knowledge about the Philippine–American War, Korean War, and Vietnam war.

It's another reminder that Europe's conflicts are in fact very much European, and that people outside of Europe don't have the same level of reverence for them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/369th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)
youtube.com/watch?v=VkcAXS9IKdc
youtube.com/watch?v=qlq0NcKEzRQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know they're trying to be politically correct..but fuck me that's stupid

It's probably a more Veeky Forumsness reason: most Americans (re: most videogame buyers) don't care about ww1 so this is a way of artificially inflating controversy.

But that's not my point. My point is that anyone cares, period. Most Americans generally don't care much about ww1 so the intense asspain from Europe shows how relative historical perspectives/political views/philosophy are.

You complaining about the brownish looking statue? Because in the trailer he just looks really tanned.

What I really hate is the part of the trailer where the player character just fires a Lewis Gun while walking. Fuck that shit.

>Because in the trailer he just looks really tanned.

It's alt-history and a video game, don't get so flustered about trivialities

>It's alt-history
it's not an althistory ww1 if that's what you mean (like 'war extended to 1920 or with lazers')
it's supposed to be regular ww1

Uh what shitstorm exactly?

"Trivialities" matter.
"It's a videogame" is the same garbage argument excuse for mediocrity as "It's just a movie, turn off your brain", and this mentality should not be encouraged. One should never settle for inferior content.

Not that guy nor a pol-tier autist but retroactively multiculturising things pisses me off no end too. It's just wrong, I don't give a damn if it makes people feel less awkward. It's a symptom of a wider tendency to whitewash things. And though you're right, it is fairly trivial and just an alt-history video game, but it's mass market stuff that a lot of people will absorb, and for many I imagine will be their only impression of WWI.

I don't know, it just irks me.

>but retroactively multiculturising things pisses me off
I get what you mean but it's really just one Berber woman who you're probably gonna play on horseback in one mission taking place in the Middle East.

It's not. It's a special edition statute for the Harlem Hellfighters edition.

It's not the same guy

The black guy is probably part of the 369th Infantry Regiment of the US, which was composed of blacks and puerto ricans.
You know, PC stuff is really marketable, and these guys were alright, they had a cool insignia and motto, libertarian negroes fighting in Europe makes for a fun story.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/369th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

It isn't supposed to be alt-history, there's no legitimate reason for this WW1 character to be black, and even if he is one of the few US corps that did have large numbers of black fighters (who would only have joined the war during the last few months, I might add), for some reason he has a German gun.

It's not like there weren't brown people fighting on the western front, though. It's not like EA has Visceral on contract to portray ethnicities in a perfectly statistically representative fashion.

I personally see zero issue with what I've seen from BF1. We know it's fiction.

French had African troops in Europe bro.

And the Brits brought Indians.

Wew lad

And a British uniform.

Would be fine if he was in some colonial garb.

Not him but the woman pisses me the fuck off way more than the black guy. At this point I'm convinced there were more female warriors in fiction than in actual history, it's getting nauseating.

Ye
>The US Army decided on 8 April 1918 to assign the unit to the French Army for the duration of the United States' participation in the war; this regiment was assigned to French Army command because many white American soldiers refused to perform combat duty with black soldiers.[10] The men were issued French weapons,[11] helmets, and brown leather belts and pouches, although they continued to wear their U.S. uniforms.
This is my point, if the people who made the character actually gave a shit they'd have taken even one look at the fucking WIKIPEDIA page.

Also, April 1918.

If he was Indian I'd care less about this; since I'm British I already knew that we also had Indian and Nepalese soldiers fighting for us. I'd love a game where I run around hacking people up with a kukri.
As for the French soldiers, that would work. I'm not hoping for too much French history being on display in a US-made game though.

There were actually quite a few black soldier fighting in WW1 though.

Everyone knows that, you're not blowing anyone's mind here.
The fact is though that the overwhelming majority of people who fought in WWWI were European and to ignore this fact simply because celebrating "dead white men" isn't politically stylish right now is incredibly vulgar. It is entirely possible to recognize the contribution of African Americans and colonial levies while keeping the focus on those that did the majority of the fighting. EA went out of it's way to stoke controversy by creating the promotional material the way it did.

If it's the middle east then it makes perfect sense to be honest

True, but I doubt colonial troops or odd units like mentions are going to be the focus. A good WWI game that's fun AND takes a nuanced and balanced approach to imperialism and internal racism is highly unlikely. I'd love it to be true, but I daren't hope.

>As for the French soldiers, that would work.
Le black WWI man has been confirmed to be French. He probably has a German gun because he picked it up on the battlefield (which happened in reality all the time, especially with pistols).

Why get pissed off and waste any energy on EA shit? Anyway, the devs claimed in a roundabout way that she was based on something in real life (even though it goes against everything I know about the very gender-separated Bedouin tribes). Either a source comes up, or you can write it off as his-fic. It's not damaging anything.

DAILY REMINDER THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY A GOOD, HISTORICALLY ACCURATE WWI GAME WITH ONLY WHITE CHARACTERS YOU CAN JUST PLAY VERDUN, AND IT COSTS A FRACTION OF WHAT BF1 WILL INEVITABLY COST.

Tripquad speaks the truth, although I'm excited for BF1 because if it's popular it might cause an increase in the number of PTSD Simulators.

Is Verdun only about the Battle of Verdun?

>Le black WWI man has been confirmed to be French.
By who exactly?
If he's French why is he the face of the Harlem Hellfighters content?

No, there are a couple of Verdun maps, but also a few other battles. The devs are actually awesome and add maps in updates every once in a while.

redpill me about valiant hearts

Never played, but looked it up and it looks like some artsy hipster shit I should probably stay away from.

This tbqh. It's one of those feel'em ups.
>"This game is sad because there is a dog with sad eyes in a war. Now feel sad."

Valiant Hearts actually gave a shit about the history of WWI and made some effort to be educational.

What's wrong with promoting feels about one of the bloodiest events of the 20th century?

Nice numbers nice game. Austrians when?

Reminds me of This War of Mine, also over emotional bullshit.

>the overwhelming majority of people who fought in WWWI were European and to ignore this fact

How do you know they will ignore this fact? Did you see a trailer where everyone on screen was non-European? Because the only black person so far has been the statue we've seen. Every face in the trailer besides the Middle Easterners have been obviously European, from the guy with ringing ears to the goggled pilot to the man looking up at the approaching blimp. All the soldiers besides the Arabs on horseback look clearly European, and all the screaming voice in the trailer was as stereotypically British as you can get.

Reading this in preparation.

I'm guessing we'll be getting a mix of established historical figures and then some game specific ones. Probably generic British/French/American/German soldier, one of the Harlem Hellfighters, the Red Baron in an aerial mission, Lawrence of Arabia. Potentially other notable figures such as Charles de Gaulle.

I think a really interesting first mission would be playing through the assassination of the Archduke, either from his or the assassin's viewpoint.

I wish there was some kind of Deus Ex - like RPG set during the Great Game instead of these endless meme shooters

I don't understand how anyone is upset about any of this. How is there even a shitstorm at all?

Nothing, but you can do it with taste and tact, of which shitty hipster games like that one extremely lack

Hey Chinese people participated in WW1 as well

Why is there no game where I play as a Chinese worker digging trenches and building barracks during WW1?

What nations are playable? "Just" french and germans?

lol

Fun, cute and kind of educational. Nothing more, nothing less.

So what's the plot for this? I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Germans you're fighting are already plotting the 3rd Reich. Probably emasculate a young Hitler in the trenches too.

There are squad types from the French, English, Germans, Americans and Canadians. Most nations have a few different squad types. Americans, for example, have Marine squads and regular Army squads. Germans have squads focused on flamethrowers, sharpshooters, and machine guns.

I don't know if there's a plan to add more, but I hope someday they a Gallipoli map and add ANZAC and Turk troops, although it wouldn't make sense with the current game mechanics.

Because people are literally manufacturing controversy by making up some exaggerated straw man about what they think the game will be like, then arguing for 300 posts like it's actually true. See for how it starts.

Most of the "controversy" over this game so far has just been people shitposting about WWI in general, who fought what, where, who gets to claim what the war meant or who should represent it, nationalist shitflinging, the works.

> Because the only black person so far has been the statue we've seen.
Yes and the only statue we've seen so far has been an African American and the only collectible "value-adding" content we've seen has been celebrating an African American unit.

Here's the thing. EA WANTS you to assume that all complaints about this are about irrational racism. Which is why they went out of their way to highlight an American unit that served for six months out of a 4 year long war who just happened to be a minority race.

Stop looking at this through the lens of race and ask yourself what sense it makes that the first DLC released will be DLC that focuses on a group that entered the war last?

The answer is they want to create controversy. They want to create resentment and by extension media buzz by preemptively setting up the strawman that any complaints about the hustorical tone and accuracy of this game are motivated by racism.

How did Valiant Hearts lack taste and tact?

>and that people outside of Europe don't have the same level of reverence for them.

You mean Americans? Because people in the commonwealth at least very much give a shit. I live in Canada and the First World War is a big fucking deal to us, and I know that this is the same to the Australians / New Zealanders.

>Which is why they went out of their way to highlight an American unit blah blah blah minorities

Or maybe it's because Battlefield is an American video game series with a large minority fanbase?

>Yes and the only statue we've seen so far has been an African American and the only collectible "value-adding" content we've seen has been celebrating an African American unit.

And how is that in any way controversial? Exactly why shouldn't the collectable and DLC involve an African American soldier?

>Here's the thing. EA WANTS
There's only one thing EA wants and that's your money. If they wanted to get it through controversy you'd be seeing this debate in mainstream game and business journals, or even astro-turfed social media hashtag spam.

What they really want is mass appeal for their setting, and one way they're doing it is presenting the little known diversity of the Great War to make them get interested and hyped for the setting, and literally avoid the collective sigh that CoD received before this with their milquetoast sci-fi setting.

You know all those explosions and bright colors and dubstep in the trailer? Literally there to do the exact same job - build up hype in a modern audience interested in all of these things. And it worked. I honestly never thought I'd live to see the day when normies get absolutely stoked over seeing trenches, horses, biplanes, and zeppelins in a AAA FPS trailer.

Germans, french, english, Scots, canadians, Belgians, and Americans

>although it wouldn't make sense with the current game mechanics
What do you mean?

> Exactly why shouldn't the collectable and DLC involve an African American soldier?

I literally just told you why. They are a unit that served for six months out of a war that lasted for over four years and came in only at the very end.

Oh, so you're saying that's grounds for them being 'disqualified' as extra content in a video game. I see. I forgot the video game DLC Code where game companies pledge to parcel out paid content to their consumers based on analysis of wartime records and statistics.

> Oh, so you're saying that's grounds for them being 'disqualified' as extra content in a video game
Yet another strawman.
>I forgot the video game DLC Code where game companies pledge to parcel out paid content to their consumers based on analysis of wartime records and statistics.
>expecting a company to release a product that is at least marginally representative of the historical record is too much to ask

Why? There were a fair amount of black troops in WW1

>2016
>Discuss popular culture with a serious face.

>>expecting a company to release a product that is at least marginally representative of the historical record is too much to ask

It is, because a company is not beholden to stakeholders who care about proportionally representative historical content, but profit. There is literally nothing wrong with a Harlem Hellfighters DLC.

Not in mixed units.

You clearly don't recognize the concept of right and wrong in the first place so your statement that there is nothing wrong with a Harlem Hellfighters DLC cannot be taken seriously.

Further more you are attacking yet another strawman as no one has said that releasing a Harlem Hellfighter DLC is wrong in and of itself.

>retroactive multiculturalism
What the fuck are you talking about? A lot of blacks fought in Europe during WW1. It pissed off Hitler enormously.

There were blacks in the SS.

Hitler didn't hate black people.

We could explore a space. But we tolerate minorities. That's funny.

From what I've read, this character is a Harlem Hellfighter

Yes, but they were French and British colonials for most of the war. The US afro-americans only stepped in when the war was ending and what fraction of them did fight, only did for a couple of months at best.

Anyway, the Harlem Hellfighters did exist, so although this is purely pandering to the American PC audience, it isn't worth any of the time people on /v/ and Veeky Forums spend talking about it.

What IS pure fantasy on the other hand, is the Bedouin Warrior Woman. They could have given us a female russian volunteer, or an Ottoman sharpshooter, but they had to go for a woman from an extremely patriarchal conservative muslim people, and that is historico-political revisionism, just like the black hannibal of the history channel.

Blacks didn't serve in European SS divisions. Hitler didn't want to exterminate black people, but he thought their presence in the Rhineland polluted the German gene pool. He declared all half-black Germans to be legal bastards and had many sterilized.

But you can senpai just not effective at all and you need a way to hold the ammo belt

>You clearly don't recognize the concept of right and wrong in the first place so your statement that there is nothing wrong with a Harlem Hellfighters DLC cannot be taken seriously

You're serious? The concept of right and wrong over a video game DLC? You haven't explained how this is wrong besides saying the Harlem Hellfighters did not fight as long as others, as if this was ever an argument in the first place. DLC is optional content. How is it not the perfect fit here? Would you rather they be the main focus of the main campaign, which will clearly focus on other soldiers? Are you saying they shouldn't be in the game at all?

I think this is what he's saying:
youtube.com/watch?v=VkcAXS9IKdc

I never understood the fact that Americans need to play Americans in videogames and watch Americans in media. It's to the point where hollywood takes real historical events and then changes it so the Americans did it just to appeal to American audiences.
Does it kill your enjoyment that much to know a character isn't an American? Is that a dealbreaker or something? It really boggles my mind.

Strawman after strawman after strawman.
It's honestly getting rather pathetic at this point.

Considering how all the big WW2 CoD games had multiple protags from multiple countries, no. It's more obvious that Europeans can't get over seeing Americans.

The last two WW2 Call of Duty games had missions about a Polish tank unit and Russians fighting all across the eastern front. Americans actually love a diverse cast with quirky foreign sidekicks, as long as they get to play a silent badass no matter the name. Most times they don't even know what the MC looks like.

> I never understood the fact that Americans need to play Americans in videogames and watch Americans in media
We don't. That's just a meme pushed by lazy developers who can barely be bothered to do research on their own country let alone other countries.

I understand. I couldn't make a decent argument either if I got triggered all day. Maybe when you collect your thoughts you could come back one day and explain to everyone how it is wrong to have American black soldiers as DLC for a WW1 FPS game.

It's about capturing the other teams sectors and trenches it would be hard to play with an open area since its just trench warfare right now with attack and defense turns

> . Maybe when you collect your thoughts you could come back one day and explain to everyone how it is wrong to have American black soldiers as DLC for a WW1 FPS game.
Why would I do that when I never made that statement?

Americans are not normal humans like you or I, they are more akin to wild monkeys or chimps than people. This mostly due to mongrel genes and an extensive eugenics program.

The next Battlefield is going to take place during the 30 Years War. The player will take hold of the character Phoenix Foxkin, a non-binary genderfluid Syrian refugee and his band of marauding furries.

>furries
Thats so German.

I'd play it

I bet you would.

10/10 by IGN

Make this look less like a Disney fetish character and more like a WoD werewolf and it'd be pretty cool.

I don't get it, if they wanted an "ethnic" guy, why not get an Indian dude? Tons of Indians fought in WWI for the British, but of course since Indians weren't enslaved in America they don't matter.

I'm American and I despise the way that American views on race or politics infect the world at large.

>I never understood the fact that Poles need to play Poles in videogames and watch Poles in media. It's to the point where Aleksander Ford takes real historical events and then changes it so the Poles did it just to appeal to Polish audiences.
>Does it kill your enjoyment that much to know a character isn't a Pole? Is that a dealbreaker or something? It really boggles my mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=qlq0NcKEzRQ

if they wanted a black as the night nigga, there's also the German African soldiers, and the French African soldiers.

>> Exactly why shouldn't the collectable and DLC involve an African American soldier?
>I literally just told you why. They are a unit that served for six months out of a war that lasted for over four years and came in only at the very end.

This sounds a lot like it though

I didn't make it, I just googled "landsknecht furry" and chose the first image result.

I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a bunch of cringey shit. This one is pretty kawaii.

See, I'm actually all on board for playing diverse characters, but 90% of the time the interesting ones just get glossed over or forgotten. Turbaned Punjabis in Belgium, Russian grill units, German Africans, hell, playing as one of the Arab men riding alongside T.E. Lawrence would be pretty sweet.

>playing as one of the Arab men riding alongside T.E. Lawrence would be pretty sweet
It would be hella sweet

>WW1
>Hitler
Am I being memed here?

Not at all.

>sick 360 noscope jezail headshots
>popping mad wheelies on a brough superior