At what point does high fashion just turn into hot topic-tier dress up play?

At what point does high fashion just turn into hot topic-tier dress up play?

are you just mad that his fit is infinitely times better than any fit you'll ever wear

no i was genuinely curious

Don't expect to have a good conversation here

If he didn't have those spooky skeletons all over his clothes he'd look cool

david lee is a mediocre hypebeast who spends all of his money on yohji pieces that he can't pull off

this looks dollar store thrifted. probably cost $3k all up? i dont get it. doesnt make him look like a connoisseur. makes him look like a chump getting played by whatever corporation owns yohji these days

>here let's clean that image up a little. it's a bit over expos-HOLYF UFCK!@#$

God damn that is one unfortunate face.

lots of god level fits being posted in this thread rn

yohji has a decent aesthetic but the sz/sf crowd pretty much all fuck it up

I feel like his fits are almost good but then he just misplays real hard with one piece and it ruins everything

I like his face honestly, looks like he's seen some shit

When you're usually dressed in rick Simons raf owens its already too late

His face isn't even that bad. He just has bags under his eyes. He's a solid 7. He has a nice jaw line too

>He's a solid 7.
David, please.

Tell me whats so bad about his face besides the bags?

Can this not be a David Lee hate thread? I just wondered if there was a line one could cross that just turns a fashionable outfit into a caricature.

See

OH MY FUCK PLEASE STOP IT, MY EYES ARE BLEEDING

Yes.

It's about having aesthetic sensibilities and 'style'. You can collect all of your favorite pieces, but if you can't style and pair them in a way that's original and also complements you, then you will end up looking like you got a Hot Topic gift card for ur bday.

It's about how much it costs at that point. Is it cheap like hot topic or is it designer. Shows how serious you are about the outfit, which you really wouldn't be if you were "playing dress up", you feel?

Lol I own the same Skelly suit.

Fashion at the end of the day is dress up, no matter how much it costs, have fun with it. Also, David has been following Yohji menswear since near the beginning, I think of him more as a collector. It makes sense for him to wear a broad variety of Yohji's catalogue even if it looks questionable on him. The Yohji man must have a sense of humor after all.

When u convince yourself that you should ACTUALLY purchase Rick Owens' clothing

that suit is so beautiful mate you always collect such solid pieces, wearing the ann d striped knit you sold me right now, it is so lovely
and yeah i totally agree you have to have a sense of humour with your clothes and he obviously loves the pieces he wears no matter whether he looks like he's jumped straight out of a fashion magazine, can't bag on a guy for spending his money how he wants

If you don't see the beauty in this image I can't fucking help you, sorry.

it looks like halloween store shit on you too :/

Yohji, Rick

Damn proud of you. You seriously look very nice.
If you wanna make out just ask.

I'll try to approach this question but I'm admittedly no expert just my own perceptions & experience.

1) What are you referring to high fashion? like Yohji / Rei because to me they were anti-establishment, anti-traditionalism to the concepts of fashion presented prior to them. There were other leading designers during that time, so they aren't so much the only pioneers but a majority of their work even to this day still in high regards because to me their work captures something fresh and new. Their lines have a story to tell, or there is something much deeper than the clothes themselves. It's not just the aesthetics.

2) High fashion to me represents more of lines like Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, etc. Their reputation, heritage, and their designs represent this uhhh prestige and signify their own brand. They aren't really pushing boundaries or doing anything new like SLP which has been pushing the same look that has been happening for 20+ years. They are this sort of elegant idea of what common people try to strive for and achieve well in my own opinion.

3) Hot-topic tier dress up play? I don't really understand this? Do you mean like cosplay or what? this statement reminds me that OP is sort of an idiot or just completely misinformed or ignorant.. . to put it in a nutshell, When you think something is somewhat of a caricature or a "hot-topic tier dress up" it reminds me of poor people in the south or conservatives think all men who wear skinny jeans are gay.

4) this is Veeky Forums no one probably gives a fuck besides this answer, and no one will probably understand anyways and the democracy of fashion killed it.

peace

this guy dresses like a background character in Blade Runner

High fashion is just expensive cosplay.

All men who wear skinny jeans are gay.

The differences is confidence.

Confidence can make any outfit. ANY OUTFIT. It helps a lot that the guy is skinny and not immediately odd by his face, but even if he was a 500 lb neckbeard that had that same stance and facial expression, after your laughter subsided you'd still think he was a confident motherfucker.

No, usually I think they are delusional for thinking they look good.

man you're so edgy i wanna grow up to be like you.

this meme needs to die. Lacking confidence ruins outfits, but confidence doesn't magically make a shit fit good. Look at these confident effay motherfuckers and kys

The fact is. All of his outfits look great, every single one of them.

The only personal bias I can tell are that:
He doesn't has a beautiful face, he is not youthful and he is wearing a small trilby/fedora, I just like big wide fedoras.

I don't like these things personally but his outfits are extremely beautiful.

OP should really, really post one of his fits because otherwise the argument is null. I would really like to see who is criticizing to see if he can put beautiful outfits as well. There is a very small chance he delivers but oh well.

You have no sense of style. His fits look like shit. His /clothes/ are great, his fashion is terrible.

>you have to be a chef to say the food is shit
please just stop posting, newfag

this desu, worst new namefag

Post one of your fits then because I feel like I'm chatting with a neckbeard or someone even more irrelevant to fashion. Backing up your claims is the best thing you can do for this kind of threads.

I liked these fits. Seriously I want you to prove me why those fits are bad in contrast with what you wear. I'm genuinely interested.

It's not relevant to fashion criticism. Almost every designer themselves, as well as their gallery hands, the critics, curators, etc. can't wear their own runway clothes and would mislead themselves to bother trying. Models are the canvas of fashion, not randoms. Lurk more, newfag.

sure models may be the canvases of fashion, but that misses the point of fashion almost entirely. in philosophies of art clothing is a controversial topic - in that the fashion in itself implies some sort of function, in that it's supposed to be worn, and thus purchased, etc etc. in that sense, it's only as valuable as much as it performs its function of being worn and bought by people who are not models - otherwise that would be more similar to performance art (fashion shows) or conceptual art in the medium of fabrics than fashion, no? insofar as fashion is defined to be this and is differentiated from these other genres of art, it's important to take account the consumer aspect of fashion into fashion criticism.

this post is so fucking comfy

Most of the people on this board have never seen artisanal clothing in anything besides very high quality photo shoots. I think that ruins it for a lot of people to see something like this in a semi average light.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of his fits, but they aren't "hot topic tier" or whatever

I somewhat agree. He's hit and miss.

Which season is that coat? hnnggggg

All art is commodified fuckwit. As far as fashion shows as performance art, it's a weak argument when all the shows are structured the same way. If you're engaging in fashion criticism for some mainstream publication, marketability is relevant; otherwise no. The function of fashion is a detriment to the form as far as it is for culinary art, if you can't be naked and you can't starve. Thoughtless opinion 2/10

What did you expect? People in full Rick or whatever still need to do shopping.

Let him stay dumb. That's what he wants, lets move to another thread, come on.