Forgotten Mayan city 'discovered' in Central America by 15-year-old Canadian

Did anyone else see this? While you all are busy shitposting about living and dead philosophers, a Canadian kid discovered a Mayan city.

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/forgotten-mayan-city-discovered-in-central-america-by-15-year-old-a7021291.html

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2016/05/11/americas/mayan-city-debunk/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implying archaeology is important

A Canadian teenager discovered an ancient city. You are a shitposter on a marginal board of Veeky Forums that hasn't accomplished anything.

Very interesting OP. I wonder how many cities and ruins in Mesoamerica have been lost to the jungle that are out there waiting to be discovered.
Good to know there are still things worth discovering

And soon it'll become another tourist spot.

Yeah it's cool that now people get to see it, but it kinda ruins the majesty and mystery when there are hundreds of people taking selfies at any given time.

It was probably his father but he told them that his son made this revolutionary discovery for the sake of attention and potentially money.

He discovered a cornfield not a city, most experts have already said this is false.

cnn.com/2016/05/11/americas/mayan-city-debunk/index.html

We got one of the most salty and cynical niggas in Veeky Forums to stop on by. What a pleasure.

poor /pol/

The only reason why the "experts" are saying that is to discourage people to look for ancient artefacts. Also the ruling class is afraid that you might discover more then they like. Such as Stargates and ancient technology etc.

wait so hol up
*shucks corn*
what you sayin is
*sacrifices captive*

>*shucks corn*

It's maize. MAIZE!

Aren't there lots of pretty unknown Mayan sites that you can visit now?

Mayan ruins are the coolest Mesoamerican ruins. Fuck the Aztecs.

yes we've all come to accept that last part

Guatemala is littered with old ruins and broken pots. I went there once, visited a banana plantation and there were little mayan figures and pot pieces with patterns scattered in the dirt. Kept some of them as souvenirs on a little shelf in my bathroom.

It'll probably be studied by experts and left back to it's current state as there are Mayan temples that are in the jungle and they're fully aware of many of them. They can't help it they're just all over the place.

Got any pics? That's pretty neat.

Here's some of the broken pots.

...And here is the head of some figure. In the other image I had it attached to my thumb as it's hollow on the inside. Tried to use the thread as a verification, but it just looked shitty so here's some broken pieces too.

Maya descendant here. I was gonna say thanks for giving the archeologists another place to ransack you little shit. But now I don't have to.

WE

who would say this?

That looks like a female head judging by the hairstyle. Is it preclassic?

You really think the guy who looted it from some random field would know the answer to your question?

>Ransack

It's your people who are selling your old goods for liquor money. Archaeologists are better suited to protecting your history than your shit tier communities are now.

> based Canadians

> Austin, Texas
> "If we didn't discover it, then it's fake! FAKE FAKE FAKE!"

We're praying for you guys. Get well soon, America.

Fix your fire problems first.

>Maya descendant

this translate to rape baby

>Posts aztec ruins
>Claims Mayan ruins are the coolest
>Fuck Aztecs

Nigga wat?

Not before you fix your drought problems.

Thank you. We need all the help we can get.

Mayans had a written language right?
What are the chances of finding written stuff here to tell us more about them?

Those aren't Aztec ruins.

We have a near full translation of their hieroglyphs, which are very interesting and complicated compounding glyphs with pictorial elements that reference both phonemes and have multiple meaning based on arrangement and context. Almost all Mayan site have some or evidence of some text. typically with surrounding the ruling families in the area and their exploits/captives they have taken.

It looks considerable more Olmec to me, but it's lacking any jaguar reference. This definitely doesn't look Mayan, but it has a lot of elements I'd say make it look like a post Olmec society or maybe a proto-Zapotec. Mayan figural depictions are very distinct and that doesn't include anything I'd expect

That's Tikal a huge funerary temple complex that is one of the most famous Mayan site in the world. Most Aztec architecture didn't survive conquest because tenochtitlan (Aztec capital) was situated on a lake, and well after the conquest was in full swing the lake was drained and the Spanish used old buildings for materials or simply built over them as they created the city now know as Mexico City, still the capital of the area. You can visit the excavated foundation of the Templo mayor in Mexico City.

My 2 cents on this article: it's probably not a major complex, for the evidence they present it sound like remains of a very small settlement at most, however what is interesting that the article quickly glazed over is that this kid apperently has positive evidence for Mayan construction based on constellations. This sounds a little far fetched since to my knowledge Mayans were considerable more interested in the astral bodies they could observe moving, Venus, the Pleiades, and I haven't done much research into their concern with pattern finding in the stars, but given it is almost a pan-cultural practice I'm sure they participated to a degree. What I want is to see the justification for this locating algorythmn an see to what degree this kid is bullshitting his way into the limelight, my guess? A lot

Imagine how much has simply been lost to the jungle! There could be whole cities swallowed up by roots and debris. Not to mention there is a long multi cultural tradition of burying objects of importance deep underground because of the maya concept of the underworld known as "Xibalba"