Double Edged Razors

I've been using cartridge razors for years now with mostly mediocre results. Are DE razors that much better for a closer shave?

Are double edge racks the next meme?

Yes. And the blades last longer and cost way less than overpriced Gillette cartridges

>closer shave
no
but it's cheap

Maybe, but in the end people who buy into the DE meme end up getting so many useless creams and after shaves that they end up spending just as much as someone using a gillette.

Not necessarily closer shave, but it's a lot cheaper (spent 13 bucks two years ago on blades and still haven't run out) and I find that it reduces friction quite a bit.

I think we reached the pinnacle of shaving technology in 1901 and cartridges only exist to keep people buying over priced crap.

>Shaving

What are you a woman?

nu male detected

You only need one of each product. Buying more or not is your choice.

No but you take your time more and are more precise than usual, leading to less irritation and a better shave

Mainly because you don't wanna fuck your shit up

Your meme image proves he's not? Nice work cuck.

Just wait for puberty to kick in mate, you'll be able to grow one, one day.

This. I buy soap for $6, and I usually get gifted aftershave so I've never had to buy any. I never understood the "hurr it's so much more bc you buy all this extra crap" attitude towards safety razors.

What if my wife has a cool last name? I didn't thought this was a common thing desu.

Buy a box of Astra blades. Comes with 100 blades and costs about $10 on Amazon.

Anyways, yeah, I'd say safety razors are less irritating since you're dealing with only one blade as opposed to 5 (or however many come on a cartridge). Also, they're a lot cheaper and longer lasting.

>I think we reached the pinnacle of shaving technology in 1901 and cartridges only exist to keep people buying over priced crap

My wife and I had the same last name before we married, I took hers as a joke

if it's not working well try different blades

if that doesn't work try switching to bic sensitive disposables, they're almost as cheap and provide just as good of a shave with even less skill

They don't last longer, but they definitely cost way less.

A lot of these are clear symptoms of low testosterone. One thing not listed but present in almost all the psuedo-guys in the collage as well as tell-tale sign of low test is pudginess in the face. Also the chest, ie manboobs.

I switched back to basic ass Good News!! gillettes from my razor. It gets me a closer shave than anything but feather blades, which dull quickly and cut like crazy on their first use. I do two passes, one against the grain with both the disposables and safety razor

Merkur's my preferred blade. It's close to Feather in sharpness but doesn't dull quickly. And it has the best graphic look second to Feather. It's hard to find on Amazon, though, so I used Derbies when I used my safety razor daily

I do still sometimes use my safety razor when I'm with a girl in the morning. They comment on it often. It's attractive, I assume it's because disposables make you kind of cucked and look childish, everyone knows they're a waste of money at this point, it seems like you're still a kid learning how to shave. Maybe it's just you're more engaged with your hands with them. Using a brush is smoking pipe tier though, only the kind of redditor loser with ATH-M50's and CP's fuck with that shit

Can't lather without a brush.
And I know m50 is a big meme everywhere but it IS objectively good for the price. Nothing can match it.

that's just bodyfat because those guys tend to be skinnyfat lames

stop drinking the r9koolaid before it's too late

Yes you can, there's a decent selection in creams that you lather on your face. I forgot the brand I used to use, it was british and had red text on white and was very slick and thin, I didn't need to even bother hand lathering. Burma shave was known for also not needing it.

M50's were a good deal until it became a meme and the price was hiked like 4 years ago. Now it's not even the same model yet you still get wanna be audiophiles spouting the same shit as you are. There are better options at its old price point, I think gemini hsr1000 might be the new meme or something. In any case, the point is just that it's baby's headphones for the self-proclaimed audophile poser. 9/10 people with m50s use it to listen to animal collective and death grips

This is from the mouth of a friend involved in hormone research. as he put it, it's fairly established. I should get the direct studies from him.

Let's get straight to the point.

I started shaving with DE razors when I was 19. During the learning period I had one bad stroke and was left with a visible scar on the left cheek. I tried using anti scarring creams and ointments but nothing helped.

You can call me a retard or whatever but by the age of 19 I've already shaved hundreds of times with the Mach 3 so I wasn't new to the idea of shaving and still got the cut.

I tried various soaps, brushes, blades and such and the difference was never really noticeable and I always felt like I was placeboing myself.

So, wanna risk your facial aesthetics just for the novelty of fedora shaving? It is your choice to make.

This is the dumbest point.

Even when you're growing out a full beard, you still have to shave around the edges or else you look like a hobo.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Scars are cool though

Who /BIC/ here

>not loving your facial scar

Sort of.

You will cut yourself more, don't fall for the wet shaving memesters.

I still do a final pass with a cartridge because I can't seem to get some areas smooth with the de.

How often do you cut your self with that and how many scars have you knocked down

did your sister laugh?

They're better than those multiblade ones imo

dude just buy a fucking electric shaver and learn to stop bitching

>used a cartridge razor for years
>able to get a close shave quickly with no irritaiton
>tried DE razor (merkur)
>with practice, I could get a similar shave but at half the speed of my cartridge razor

I haven't thrown out either razor because the DE is cheap now that I've bought the razor, and the cartridge is fast and replaceable if I travel. it makes no difference what you shave with

>Are DE razors that much better for a closer shave

Not necessarily a closer shave, but a better shave.

In multi-track razors, the first blade(s) pull the hair away from the follicle, then, the following blades cut the hair below the epidermis.
This causes ingrown hairs leading to irritation.

Single blade razors only cut the hair beyond the surface thereby getting the closest shave without causing irritation.

Double edge razors are also much easier to clean; just hold it under the faucet.

Be sure to coat your razor edges with mineral oil using a Q-tip to prolong the life of the blade.

You can use a shaving cup, shaving soap and brush for a more fun experience.

It may be common knowledge, but you shave down then up for the best shave.

Using safety razors is much more economical than "standard" disposable razors.

how do they work on one's balls?

Use tweezers unless you're an ape.

I love my Merkur long-handle. It gets me a better shave than my old Mach 3, blades are cheap, and it's easier to clean.

I soap up (using a badger-hair brush because I'm a faggot) with a cheap $6 soap puck, shave, rinse with cold water, then splash aftershave on. The puck lasts quite a while and I'd use aftershave anyway, so any bullshit about "safety razors are more expensive because you use more product" is just that: bullshit.

>It may be common knowledge, but you shave down then up for the best shave.
I've always been told not to do this.
In fact, I've gotten a few ingrown hairs from doing this, and cut myself more often than not when I do it on my upper lip.

I always get rashes and red lumps for an hour or so after I shave (and after a shower). Anything I can do about this? Not having a shower didn't change anything.

You can just use regular barbasol. With blades that's like two months of shaving for five bucks

ITT: A bunch of idiots who have no clue what they're talking about argue with each other

such is Veeky Forums

Use an astringent after-shave product.

DE razors are cheaper and give me a better shave with less irritation than cartridges.

Most people use DE razors wrong and end up cutting/getting awful razor burn. It takes like twice as long to shave DE but its worth it.

Any DE razors to suggest? Seki Edge Feather? Merkur? iKon? Standard?

>plucking your balls

by christ are you a masochist?

yes

they are just cheaper, they don't last longer

true, most people are idiots who drain a lot of money on it. It is like the audiophile scene for shaving. Basic safety razor, some basic blades and foam either from a can or some proraso stuff plus a basic brush will be enough. No fancy saucers for foaming needed, just pick up a simple white breakfast cereal dish at ikea or wherever.

Astra blades are amazing value, don't let people talk you into buying exotic no one cares blades from old russia or japan. Stick to Astra and never think about it again.

different blades will do just about nothing. in 99,9% of all cases the person is either using a shitty soap, does not clean the blade after shaving, has super sensitive skin, is allergic to one of the products used, does not know how to actually shave with a DE razor or is using a very old/dull blade (read as: time for a new blade, not some obscure brand that the shaving nerds rave about)

this. It looks like shit when people try to grow out their beard and they let it cover their entire necks. grooming is even more important when having a beard. Either the beard looks clean and maintained or don't grow one in the first place.

>Be sure to coat your razor edges with mineral oil using a Q-tip to prolong the life of the blade.

don't bother. 100 Astra blades are like $10 on amazon. The time it takes to "care" for a blade is simply disproportional to its value. Don't waste an expensive Q-Tip or precious oil on a 10 penny blade, just replace it.

shaving "up" and "down" is a bad choice of words imo.

You shave with and against the grain of your beard. First round with the grain. In my case that means from left to right under my chin, from top to bottom on my sideburns and from middle to sides on my upper lip. For this to work, you really need to know how your beard is growing.

I've been using a Mühle for over a year now. Very nice quality, no frills, no bullshit, decent price

I got a badger shaving brush today and some soap

edwin jagger is probably the most recommended one