What weapons were used by the average WWI soldier? What was used by the more specialized units?

What weapons were used by the average WWI soldier? What was used by the more specialized units?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_infantry_weapons_of_World_War_I
canadaatwarblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/trench-weapons-for-close-quarter-combat-used-during-the-first-world-war-2/
militaryfactory.com/smallarms/ww1-rifles.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A shovel.

Bolt action rifles, hand grenades, and some variant of the Maxim gun for the mostpart. Lots of handmade melee weapons, because a 6 foot long pike doesn't do you so well in the confined space of a trench.

A very broad question which I always like to see fleshed out by people who know more of the specifics than I do. It was truly a world war, and Germany's western front is not the only type of combat that was fought. African colonial campaign, and the ice fortresses of the alps are two other great ones, to say the least.

Depends on the army. Most people had bolt actions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_infantry_weapons_of_World_War_I

This aside from his rifle.

Rifles. Grenades. Mortars. Machine guns.

What sort of question is this really.

I assume this thread was made in reaction to the one in /v/ about Battlefield 1?

If not I suppose it's still worth bringing up that apparently there are a lot of people ignorant to just how far in history WWI was technologically

By Europeans no less.

There goes America's Historical Illiteracy Card. Awarded to Sweden.

>muskets
that can;'t be real

>muskets
No wonder the Italians did so bad

what, muskets were used in ww1

they were also used in ww2, when a bumfuck nowhere peasant farmer goat sheep fucker shot at some army trucks going around
which is close to the level of relevance of their use in ww1

So were bows and arrows but you don't call it a bow and arrow war do you? Retard.

Italy ased a bolt rifle in ww1 tho. Actually it used the same fucking shit from the mahdist war to ww2.

The impression I get is that the weapons used by the "average WW1 soldier" were nearly irrelevant, since only a tiny percentage of casualties were inflicted by infantry weapons. Most (65-70%) died from artillery. Then disease/exposure/malnutrition/etc. And the remainder probably mostly from machine guns.

Feel free to call me a retard if I'm way off base.

Name a single muzzle-loading non-rifled handgun that was used in large quantities during WWI.

>muskets

To be fair this is true of the second world war, as well.

I wonder how effective an elite medieval mercenary force would be in raiding WWI trenches. Teach them how to use grenades and maybe assign one or two riflemen to them and I think they would be pretty effective considering the best melee weapons most people could muster during the war were knives and shoves.

well you are not a retard, you are in fact correct
but at the same time that goes for most modern wars
and above all else it does not make small arms irrelevant
after all, only infantry takes ground, and infantry needs weapons
they were very minor in the sense of 'what killing instrument achieved more killing', but ultimately wars go beyond that narrowly defined scope

They'd probably be exterminated by artillery after a day or so

no they weren't, all sides used extremely advanced for their time bolt action rifles, that had a use up to WWII such as the mosin nagant.

the musket

Yeah, just like every other soldier in WW1.

I'm wondering though at how effective they would be relative to WW1 soldiers.

The infamous Ross Rifle was withdrawn from Canadian frontline troops in 1916 and replaced with the more reliable SMLE.

However, the sniper version of the Ross was still preferred by many Canadian Sniper-Scouts. Example shown here is the Sniper-Scout section of the 7th (British Columbia) Battalion.

Oh, and that face on the guy in the back.

>what is Mosin-Nagant 1891
> what is Kar98K and the Gewehr 1898 still used in WWII
> what is Lee Enfield 1907
> what is Berthier
> what is Springfield 1903 (till 1942)

Sweden has literally not fought a war since muskets.

I remember that the for improvised melee weapons, Germans had shovels and the British had clubs because of what was standard issue (Germans would sharpen the edges of their shovels, Brits would put hobnails or mills bomb casings on the end). Can someone remind me what piece of equipment the British primarily used to make their clubs again?

Also, what did French, Canadian, and American forces use?

The fuck happened at that battle?

Bows were used during WW2.

Jack Churchill killed a man with a longbow.

>Germans had shovels and the British had clubs because of what was standard issue
Nah. Everyone made do with what they had. For one thing: melee weapons outside the bayonet WEREN'T issued. Niggas had to buy/get them themselves.

>Germans had shovels and the British had clubs
Both used shovels and clubs.

The french took peices of iron rod and smithed them into knives

I want to see a gothic knight jump into a german trench firing two webleys.

I meant primarily. Germans had fixed-handle spades and usually used those. Trying to remember why the Brits usually used clubs over spades. Was the British one a detachable blade? Tent pegs? I need to rewatch forgottenweapons WW1 episode.

Both were standard gear that was issued, although not sure if they were issued to every individual soldier.

Its probably based off the confusion of the rank "Musketeer."

In the German Army, it was the equivalent of the "private" rank in the line infantry. This was due to Prussian/German military tradition. Kinda like how Lancers nowadays dont really have lances and are just mechanized infantry.

It was more likely based on sheer ignorance.

Everyone looks so laid back I hate it.

have another

Addendum: But then again since the Middle Eastern Theater is a thing in this game, maybe DICE is referring to the Muskets used by Arab rebels.

Because they fucking did, those tribalniggers really did.

I really hope there's some musket-only multiplayer...

>Pistol bayonet

This guy knows the correct level of dakka:choppa

needs more

Luigi had static defense lines and offered his troops no independent flexibility. Germans punched through the line (with a decent amount of casualties though) and the flanks couldn't react fast enough. Lots of captured Italians.

Granted they fared a little better once Luigi was fired.

Some of the trench fighting tools are a bit grim. Little more than maces that resemble clubs with nails in, knuckledusters and knives (or both combined, see link).

canadaatwarblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/trench-weapons-for-close-quarter-combat-used-during-the-first-world-war-2/

You do have a point, but the average idiot probably doesn't know of any wars beyond The American Revolution, the ACW, WW1, and WW2. Big gap between ACW and WW1, so they probably think they still used muskets and have no idea what weapons were used in the unknown wars between the times.

I would've rather had something based on the Crimean War, honestly. Video games are really bad when it comes to doing anything except be mindless entertainment, but at least some people would've learned about the war itself.

>Bayonet pistol

You got something to say against the Webley bayonet?

That guy in the back looks like a fucking terminator

Don't tell me that's an mp18 magazine welded next to the revolver cylinder

they actually were in use in caucasus. some armenians were wearing a fucking chainmail and javelins.

Probably based on that new video game.

People are upset because it has black people and machine guns in it, even though those things didn't exist back then.

Ironically there wasn't that big of a gap between the U.S. civil war and WWI. Yes, they still used muskets in the civil war, but they also used a lot of lever action rifles, and early machine guns, and firepower was rapidly growing.

So at the beginning of the war, the commanders were still used to Napoleonic era infantry tactics, but by the Siege of Petersburg, it was more like the trench warfare of the Western Front of WWI.

The first fucking sentence
> there is a common misconception that WW1 was just muskets or something
> but it wasn't it was a time of new weapons, bolt actions...
Did you chuckle fucks even read it.

they did occupy Ă…land during and after finnish civil war though

Didn't that one britbong wear a sword into battle on D-Day?

explain Afghanistan.

That britbong happened to use a sword, and a bow with arrows
Mad Jack Churchill

militaryfactory.com/smallarms/ww1-rifles.asp

well here you go

pic related

>fully armoured knight jumps into trench with mace and shield
>instantly killed by .303 smashing through his skull from 3 feet away

There was a reason knights died out

Nope. Clubs were self made. Sometimes individual regiments would produce one design for themselves but they were never ever standard issue.

I don't get what you are are complaining about

DICE is literally saying its was not a musket war.

bump