Were there real Assassins? I know the portrayal of Templars was utter horseshit...

Were there real Assassins? I know the portrayal of Templars was utter horseshit, but what were the Assassins real life counterpart? Did they have one?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nice meme

>the name used to refer to the medieval Nizari Ismailis.
>the Nizari Ismailis were an Islamic sect that formed in the late 11th century from a split within Ismailism, itself a branch of Shia Islam.
> While "Assassins" typically refers to the entire medieval Nizari sect, in fact only a class of acolytes known as the fida'i actually engaged in assassination work.
>Lacking their own army, the Nizari relied on these trained warriors to carry out espionage and assassinations of key enemy figures, and over the course of 300 years successfully killed two caliphs, and many viziers, sultans and Crusader leaders

So there you go, the big Christian thing of AC is actually from a Muslim sect

There were these guys, from which the word 'assassin' literally comes

B-but I'm not memeing. I'm just asking
I don't expect there to be hooded autists climbing buildings and looking for ancient space artifacts

this is what the assassins in assassin's creed were based off

Were there real Soviets? I know the portrayal of Nazis was utter horseshit, but what were the Soviet real life counterpart? Did they have one?

Were there real barbarians? I know the portrayal of Diablo 2 was utter horseshit, but what were the barbarians real life counterpart? Did they have one?

If you want a rough idea of what the Ismaili Assassins were I'd recommend Vladamir Bartol's 'Alamut', it's actually what the Assassin's Creed game based itself off, including the famous motto: "Nothing is true, everything is permitted", which is taken from the main character's maxim in the novel: "Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted"

yes, they smoked hashish, made poems, and occasionally killed people.

Didn't that gain controversy because it should Russians as idiots or cowards and the KGB order to fire on retreating red army troops.

All accurate DESU

Yes.

AC never implied that the Assassins were Christian, in fact when the Templars attack Masyaf, it's made clear that the Assassins don't consider themselves "Christian."

Where the hell did you get the idea that the Assassins were Christians?

Good thread. Smoking some hash right now.

>DUDE PARADISE LMAO

Uh, I'm pretty sure they all but confirm that Arabic name for Eagle and his mentor/master were straight up Muslim

There were, but they were a pretty dissolute, random lot. While the game portrays them as being these perfectly equipped paladins, on of their main methods of killings someone was finding some random bystander in the street, pumping him full of drugs, and siccing them on the chosen target. One of these drugs was marijuana, and it was from this that the word Hashish actually came from.

And the name 'Assassin' is first mentioned by Marco Polo who heard stories of the Nizari Ismailis. He said Arabs called them Hashishiyans because they used Hashish to brainwash their warriors. According to legend the assassins were drugged and taken to a garden filled with slavegirls. They were then given sleeping medicine and brought to the leader of the 'Assassin's Creed' who told them he was a saint and he would grant them the Heaven they had just seen if they did his bidding. This is why the assassins were famous for their loyalty.

The Assassins was just a name given to them. As far as the Ismailis are concerned, they called themselves the Fedayeen. "Those who sacrifice themselves."

Their meme has survived to this day in Shiite Islam. Iran has a unit of Fedayeen in their army, garbed in white which is the color associated with the Fedayeen.

Also the Mongols eventually showed up and fucked their shit up so hard they never recovered.

They were shit in conventional warefare, Saladin had to withdrew from siege of masyaf to fight crusaders other wise assasins would be defeated way early than Mongols.

yeahnah

but Thuggees were real

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee