Italian tactics

>Italian tactics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAzT67rRkxM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What tactics? Cadorna had only one idea in his mind: frontal charge regardless of conditions. And if it fails, it must mean the soldiers were cowardly commies.

And Italian soldiers kept on charging and charging and then they get the reputation of cowards.
Funny how the world works.

Meanwhile British soldiers who run away from danger are incredibly brave.

Truly, the Perfidy of the Anglo knows no bounds.

My great grandfather used to talk about how hungry they were on the front, the food they had was so bad most refused to eat it.

Please someone show the Battle of St-Louis pic, I don't have it...

This
Italian commanders were utter retards, but the soldiers were certainly not cowards

Thanks !
Also hivemind

It's not that different from British/French offensives from 1915 - 1917. Once again, only the Eternal Anglo is allowed to conduct retarded military operations without being ridiculed.

>Italians lose because they're too snobby about food

Sounds about right.

>We wuz Romans

The main difference is that the British and French win sometimes.

>It's not that different from British/French offensives from 1915 - 1917.
It is tho. Go read about the tactics employed, it was a literal zerg rush against fortified machine gun positions 9/10 times.
No support, no reconnaissance, bare minimum artillery, in short a fucking hell. All because a man who had never led soldiers in war before lucked into high command after being passed over a dozen times due to the sudden political and biological death of basically the whole italian general staff in the early 10s.

Luigi Cadorna:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAzT67rRkxM

Austro-Hungarian offensive in the Carpatians was also that retarded.

Italians charged russian machine guns with horses and sabres.

I don't really know whether to laugh at them or admire them.

Going with the latter since they actually won that fucking horse charge.

The food was incredibly shit though, he said most guys threw it up.

Considering they won that engagement, you should admire them, they took 30 casualties 50 injuried in exchange of 150 dead, 300 injuried, 600 prisoners, the enemy artillery and ended in control of the field. All while being outnumbered 3.5:1
Also always remember that magnificent bastard Corporal Lolli who, unable to draw, as his saber was frozen in its sheath, charged holding high a hand grenade.

>Lolli

This kind of shit is ironically the reason why we can keep a straight face when WWII comes up

"Wasn't fascist Italy part of the axis? That's a shit legacy to have"
"Y-yeah, but at least we were so abismally bad at it that we slowed t-them down"

So, we were so shite at being bad guys, we were basically good guys?
That's bullshit but I believe it.

People sometimes say that Italy "conquered" Ethiopia after the Second Italo-Abyssinian war but I'm doing a little reading on it now and it's the biggest shitshow I've ever seen

>Ethiopians going full REEEEEEE, in open rebellion against the occupying Italians
>Italian General Nasi wants to be able to control the whole of Ethiopia so he gets in touch with the head honcho of a rebel organisation called The Arbegnoch
>rebel leader Abebe Aregai tells him "haha yeah guess sure I'll think about it if you give me some guns and money so I can uh fight the British when they get here yeah sure that's it :^)"
>Italians keep fulfilling his requests for three years
>three
>fucking
>years
>Abegai finally has enough men and equipment to mount an offensive
>"uh oh Nasi I heard that you executed one of my lieutenants' men even though he was a prisoner I guess I won't be able to negotiate with you haha"
>Nasi keeps giving him shit for some fucking reason
>offers him a commanding position in the Italian Army and the Italian East African government
>"welp okay Nasi you convinced me I'm ready to surrender now could you come to my fortress so I can sign a treaty that'd be great :^)"
>Nasi actually fucking goes
>only gets tipped off at the last minute that the rebels are waiting to ambush him
>runs off to the mountains and stays there for the entire war, uselessly doing nothing

Aregai had 40 men armed with swords before his dealings with the Italians and by the end of it he had 20,000 troops armed with the latest rifles, machine guns, mortars and armoured cars.

And Nasi was apparently considered the "best" General of the Italian administration

Practically the entire Austro-Hungarian behaviour in the opening weeks of the war was balls-to-the-wall retarded. The chief of staff, von Hötzendorf, was not a good commander and had severe anxiety, that often rendered him incapable of making any decision whatsoever.

Before the war, the hopelessly underfunded Austro-Hungarian army had developed 2 war plans: one for a quick offensive against Russia, and one for a quick offensive against Serbia. The mobilization plans for both were very different, since the freshly mobilized troops would primarily be used to bolster the offensive.

When WWI escalated, von Hötzendorf initially approved the second plan, meaning that all mobilized forces would go to the Balkan front. When it became clear, that Russia would also participate, he switched to the Russian one (an absolute no-go, you don't interfere in mobilization plans). So basically the entire army was either attacking with insufficient numbers in Russia, riding trains all over the country or attacking Serbia with insufficient forces.

Not only were those attacks quickly beaten back, they were also conducted by the most loyal and best-trained units that the Imperial and Royal army had available. Austria-Hungary was never able to recover from the losses it suffered during the first weeks of the conflict, and had to be kept afloat by the German Empire for the rest of the war.

Von Hötzendorf is up there with the Kitcheners and Cadornas of the war, but he simply doesn't get called out on his miserable performance often enough.

>people who don't understand the difference between tactics, operational level and strategy
Get out.

>Italian fascist called Nasi
Is this real life?

Conrad was actually held in pretty high regard all over Europe prior to the war and I'm still not sure why.

The skills of being esteemed in a peace time army are very different from being esteemed in a war time army. See: Gilbert and Sullivan.

If the Ethiopian rebel leader only had 40 dudes then why did the Italians want to court him so badly?

He didn't have much of a fighting force but he was very well known by the people of his region. Joining up with the Italians would be a bit like if the Normans gave Hereward the Wake an Earldom. If people saw that Aregai was getting chummy with the Italians they would probably stop rebelling.