Who are the smartest people in history?

Who are the smartest people in history?

List your top 5. It can include living individuals too.

1. Albert Einstein
2. Rudolf Steiner
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. Isaac Newton
5. Edgar Allen Poe

Notable mentions: Isaac Asimov, Erwin Shroedinger, and the current president of Uruguay

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetheanum
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Define 'smart'

>BEST QUOTE MAKER LIST

1.Plato
2.Plato
3.Plato
4.Plato
5.Plato

>Who are the smartest people in history?
>2. Rudolf Steiner
WHY?

>''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''american education''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

People who are either wise in myriad ways above all others in their contemporary time, ideally speaking (but not necessarily), such that they would be out of place even in our society with all the gains and advancements we've made.

The amount defined in "myriad" perhaps being the best standard for measure.

Have you seen the abundance of his contributions? They're still finding lectures of his regularly. The enormity and variety of his output is mind-boggling in my opinion.

awful definition

>Smartest

Somewhere at the top are von Neumann, Gauss, and Archimedes.

>Rudolf Steiner

Having a talent for speed-playing numerous people in Chess at once is amazing, but doesn't necessarily make one "smart."

Please elaborate. I went to a school dedicated to that guy's teachings and they never explained what was that guy's deal.

>Forgetting about Frederic Sanger

>Nobody mentioned Euler

He founded Anthroposophy, which I consider a beginners guide to understanding spiritual matters to the mind unwilling to read holy books. However in my opinion, it's fundamentally flawed, and a backwards philosophy to Edgar Cayce's spirit comes first, physical is the result. But I've read a little bit of his work, and it lines up with other things I've learned. Cayce also vouched for his work (in at least two readings iirc), so I included him, because I think he's the best philosopher as opposed to Alan Watts and other metaphysics speakers. It's not something I think he's known for, but he may or may not be the person who popularized the notion that there was never rain on earth before Noah's flood, but a mist. It's not uncommon today, but I've not heard of it before Steiner. My best friend incidentally knew of him as a small contributor to architecture. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetheanum

That's all. I don't know as much about him or Helena Blavatsky as I'd like to, but going off Cayce's readings, the three of them seem to be the pillars of Gnostic Christianity. Howbeit, although I am a believer of this not-yet-founded religion, I take everything with a grain of salt nowadays; since to be psychic you must according to Cayce be "amenable to suggestion." But where their works corroborate, the fact that Steiner dwarfs the other two, makes him stand out to me.

>including Jefferson and Poe over Hamilton and Madison

So I take it by 'smart' you mean quotable?

What's so smart about some burgerland president??

Obviously I can't actually pick the top five, since statistically they're all Chinese peasants who died unknown, but anyway I'll just pick five who are pretty smart:
1. Karl Marx
2. Carl Friedrich Gauss
3. Vladimir Nabokov
4. Claude Lévi-Strauss
5. Warren Buffett

1. Nietzsche
2. Euler
3. Heisenberg
4. Goethe
5. Newton

What's so smart about some burgerland president?

Americans are dumb enough to think the founding fathers are actually some significant geniuses.

Though I will admit, they were interesting and worth reading about, they were certainly not top figures in history intellectually.

>No Blaise Pascal

>Euler
>can't even use ONBs to solve PDEs
>can't even use contour integration to solve Bessel's problem
>can't even analyze Dirichlet's function
>doesn't even know how to sum infinite series rigorously
>blind faggot
>genius
Lmao how I miss being an undergrad.

St Thomas Aquinas

The smartest people in the world are nuts like that guy in Russia forfeiting his million dollar prize for solving some unsolvable problem.

Why no Da Vinci?

Also, Poe doesn't even belong in the top 200.

1. Pythagorean theorum guy
2. Everybody else

Prove me wrong

To be fair, Pascal's Wager sounds like it was written by a 6 year old.

1. Leibniz
2. Wittgenstein
3. Gaus
4. Goethe
5. Plato

Meme tier smart:

1. Einstein
2. Von Neuman
3. Rousseau
4. Feynman
5. Dawkins

>no John von Neumann in first place
>Albert "the Hackbert" Einstein on any top 1000 list regarding intelligence

My only gripes.

Literature:

Shakespeare

Sciences:

Newton

Philosophy:

Plato

Math:

Gauss

Humanities:

Caesar

Shakespeare had a lot of assistants helping with the writing. His plays, at the time, were considered low brow trash for the masses.

No matter what degree you hold, posting weeb images will make you forever a child user.

>karl marx

>His plays, at the time, were considered low brow trash for the masses.

Who is superior? Chaucer? Kek. The guy literally invented the English language.

>Karl Marx

Not surprised that's the only thing you can say in response to the post desu

>literature:sheakespear
>humanities:caeser

>there's anything to reply to

Henry Ford

His impact on the social sciences is unparalleled. You don't have to like him to understand how brilliant he was.

This

1. leonardo da vinci
2. the rest is irrelevant in comparison

>Marx
>fedora
I don't believe you understand the meme, friend

1. Myself

Jefferson was pretty cool but OP is a typical uneducated Amerilard.

>how to recognise the Anglo: The Post

>3. Jefferson
>TOP KEK

>Newton
>implying smart
Brainlet detected.

Newton didn't do shit. By today's standards he'd be an average guy. All he ever invented was high school math and physics. By your reasoning the first guy who came up with the idea of wiping his own ass must of been a genius.

right now without much thought and without repeating names already posted in the thread i can remember da vinci, napoleon, frank zappa and maybe tesla...

1) Jesus Christ
2) Johann Goethe
3) Albert Einstein
4) Isaac Newton
5) Nikola Tesla

Memes: the post

> What is he even invented? High school math and classical physics? What a retard.

1. Isaac Newton
2. Sun Tzu
3. Ludwig Beethoven
4. Albert Einstein
5. Nicola Tesla

This. The Babylonians used calculus before Newton. He was a great alchemist, though.

>gravitational waves
>mfw Einstein is still laughing at us with GR 100 years later

well it's pretty sure you will never make that list being such a retard

>Warren Buffet

>Einstein
>meme tier

Please be joking.

>What are Newton's laws
>What are mathematical models
>What is differential calculus

Just because someone is overtly famous doesn't mean they're overrated.

>Karl Marx

I could be down with this list if you replaced Newton with Feynman

>plato
i think you mean "russell"

>all he ever invented was highschool math and physics
could you have invented calculus, dumb fuck?

1: moot
2: hitler
3: that horse that became Pope

I don't have a 4 or 5.

>Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes

He was the OG tipper.

Only if you misunderstand what he meant when he was saying that. Marx wasn't saying that religion is anything like a high or a hallucinagen, he was saying that it is "the sigh of the oppressed creature", that is to say, that he thought religion was a painkiller. Faith that God's judgement would right the wrongs of the world gave people hope.

1. Gauss
2. Von Neumann
3. Newton
4. Ramanujan
5. Shakespeare

> Ramanujan
Cheater used help from his Hindu Gods.

I know exactly what he meant. It's still just as cringey and pretentious as the post you just typed.

lol @ shakespear though

You're just mad you don't get theorems from Hindu Gods
:^)

No, it isn't. Fedoras think that religion is some terrible thing only idiots believe in; Marx thought it was a natural and understandable response to the world in which we live in. Marx wasn't making a value judgement at all.

1. Newton
2. Feynman
3. Einstein
4. Sagan/Hawking
5. Asimov

>einstein/feynman
>meme
look at this guy

Aristotle

Thank you for summing up why Karl Marx is anything but worthy to be mentioned in this thread; along with anyone who made a living off argumentum ad ignorantium directed at religion.

>Asimov over Poe who coined half of the English language of today.
I think not.

Um, wrong reply?

>Different currencies exist and therefore money does not exist.
>Different means of exchange mean that exchange does not exist.

2/10 well meme'd Marx.*tips gulag*

It's almost as cringey as the French Revolutionaries using churches to preach atheist. *tips guillotine*

*preach atheism

yeah mb senpai, keep doin (You)

>meme tier smart

wow, someone read a lot of wikipedia articles! feynman, einstein, and von neumann are fucking geniuses.

von neumann is overrated by memesters to be sure, but he he made gigantic contributions to literally every mathematical field. nothing earth shattering like einstein but the man was retiredly brilliant.

source: I do math research

*retardedly brilliant

How can anyone even think that Einstein was meme tier? His contributions to physics in 1905 alone would've made him a great scientist.

1. Karl Marx
2. Friedrich Engels
3. Antonio Gramsci
4. Jaques Derrida
5. Herbert Marcuse

>source: I do math research
researching the complexities of adding two-digits numbers isn't math research, dawg

heh. guess that's what I get for making any statement about myself on the chins

or maybe nobody cares what your opinions are on ancient mathematicians and bringing up your job status in math research doesn't qualify you in any way except making you dislikable

>any of those guys
>ancient

aight man. and it does actually give me better insight than whoever made that bullshit post.

The Art of War was like a manual for soldiers who were born five minutes before the battle. It doesn't take a genius to realize blinding your opponent with the sun is a good idea.

It took the two smartest humans ever born to figure out we should share stuff equally?

>devolves into pedantry instantly

Any list that doesn't have Aristotle on it is incomplete.

Aristotle is possibly the smartest person in history. If not, he's certainly in the Top 5.

Aristotle
St. Thomas Aquinas
Descartes
Newton
Russell
Einstein

>the current president of Uruguay
???? Why?

>all he ever invented was high school math and physics
humanities student, everyone