COMMENT ON MULTICULTURAL FASHIONS

archive.is/5350o

>It's okay to be proud of your cultural clothes.
>It's okay to be fine with foreign clothes.
>It's by mixing fashions and cultures that clothes develop.

Post some hybrid fashion

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/5350o
youtube.com/watch?v=DMrYfKo9qoY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Visvim thread?

>a 13year old
Stopped reading there

Pat is a fucking savage

inb4 braindead nazis complaining of cultural marxism

why would they complain? think about it. people who believe in cultural appropriation don't want whites to have dreadlocks, to partake in hip hop, or to really have anything to do with non-white culture. to me that sounds like exactly the kind of thing a white supremacist would want, doesn't it? to stay 'white' in all ways, albeit for a completely different reason.

shit, to go one further, the concept of 'cultural imperialism' is about making PoC (PBUH) adopt white culture and abandon their own. according to people who believe in cultural appropriation, it's not appropriation for non-whites to adopt the dominant white culture. but they propose that it's a one-way street in that regard, and whites can't adopt PoC culture. which is effectively exactly the same thing as cultural imperialism

in all seriousness, i am a racist, and i like the cultural segregation thing lefties are embracing

let's say white people start demanding blacks don't wear weaves/straighten their hair and don't dye their hair blonde

Just saw this posted on facebook. Aren't these the same people who cry about cultural appropriation?

So you can wear whatever you want without being judged, but you can't wear anything that might offend someone or that was popularised by a culture other than your own. Right.

>popularised by a culture other than your own

this is exactly the point. people don't realise that 'white' culture is the norm and thus it's ok for everyone to 'appropriate' it. this is fine but so is have dreads if you're white (dreads aren't even an exlusive thing from black/african culture as spartans amongst other warriors had them as well)

people who use tumblr =/= retarded sjws

you people really don't understand why it's not ok to wear native american headdress and clothing? we took their land and now you want to take their clothing too? lmao

it's only 'taking' if you claim it as being part of your identity.

>people actually got offended by this lmao

I seem to recall someone selling their land for some shiny BEADS

Fashion is a cultural statement. What Injuns wore reflects certain ideas of their culture.

Also, no one holds the end-all, be-all power over the limits of creative power, i.e. if someone wishes to borrow head-dresses for aesthetics then they're going to have to deal with it.

#triggered

i'm proud of batik, and i also think it's a very beautiful pattern. i just can't see myself wearing it fashionably unironically. i can only wear american thrift-core confidently right now

Batik is just a resist dying technique similar to shibori anyone can do it it's not owned by any culture. And if anyone says it is cmon only one culture was ever able to come up with wax resist dying ?

i think he said the pattern, not the technique

If you are one of those cultural appropriation tards, you have no right to complain that's basically it, end of story, nothing more to it.

There are blacks with blonde hair and blacks with straight hair. give another example because you're not wrong, you're just too ignorant to be 100% right. Don't worry you'll get there

that's a myth though

tbf that offends me because it's fucking horrible

realistically, i'm glad we didn't stop civilising, creating, expanding, educating, thriving just because of a bunch of fucking hippy red indians just wanna sit around the camp fire and shit, fuck no, and i'm pretty sure that anybody will agree with me, and if you don't, you're a fucking idiot, you're more than welcome to go back to the stone age

>teach young white people to idolize foreigners
>get upset when they do exactly that

yes, ONLY a coiffe made of EAGLE feathers can be a warbonnet. Nothing else could be considered as such - except if a white girl wears feathers in her hair, then anything and everything is a warbonnet and is unacceptable.

yes, ONLY native american MALES are allowed the privilege of wearing warbonnets, it's not discrimination. White men invented sexism. Natives can't discriminate based on sex. Protecting the sanctity of warbonnets does not promote tribal sexism at all.

yes, a bindi is a sacred symbol of wedlock in Indian cultures.
no, you can't wear one just because you think it looks good, unless you were bought as a sex slave or something, then maybe we can talk.
Protecting the sanctity of bindis is not contributing to a culture forced marriages and nonconsensual underage sex.

only zoroastrians can sport paisley
only the Chinese can have silk
only Croatians can wear ties

period.

The only Native American thing we shouldn't wear is headdresses, because those are literally their version of the Medal of Honor and it's a shitty thing to turn in into #festivalslutwear.

The beads tho? They seemed more than happy to fucking sell me those in the Dakotas

Would it actually be fair to be upset if a bunch of sluzzas in China started wearing american military regalia, though?

Why actually care?

So, the argument is that blonde hair and straight hair are part of the dominant culture.

By wearing styles that are part of the dominant culture, it is not racist, cause reverse racism isn't a thing.

But by wearing something from an oppressed culture, it is racist.

I don't necessarily agree, but that is the argument pretty much
senpai desu

What matters is the context and the significance/ meaning of what your wearing

for example

native American Indian headdress - highly symbolic, very important in the culture, all native american indians are now dead except for a few who are half american indian, so basically its like taking someones fancy hat and dancing around their corpse

another example

wearing a bindi on your forehead - extremely significant spiritual symbol that is used in religious ceremonies, makes you look like an ignorant fuckwad if you wear one purely for fashion, you might as well put a bible on a chain around your neck, probably just as stupid

cont

however simply wearing a traditional hat, scarf or coat with a pattern etc. with no context or major significance is fine and often means you've gone out of your way to get it and/or have taken the time to learn about what you're wearing

also the argument that jeans etc. from western culture can be appropriated by other cultures is bullshit because 1. most western fashion often has no particular significance or context or has been homogenised to the extent its now unrecognisable 2. western ideals are often forced upon other cultures as a standard

>muh one in a million exceptions

Yeah we get it, not all Africans are the same, but neither are all Europeans, or Asians.

Defending symbols of oppression isn't acceptable senpai, war bonnets and bindis are both sexist and discriminatory. Don't be on the wrong side of history. See

again it's a technique not a specific pattern like a houndstooth or paisley

that was more an issue of straight up stealing designs rather than cultural appropriation

My Indian friends have given me bindis and told me they don't symbolise anything, they're just part of traditional fashion. I don't wear them anyway, but they seem to think it's a non-issue.

Plenty of people wear Christian symbolism for fashion's sake as well and no one seems to give a damn.

In Japan you'll see people wearing religious symbols or even Nazi inspired stuff.

>wearing a bindi on your forehead - extremely significant spiritual symbol that is used in religious ceremonies, makes you look like an ignorant fuckwad if you wear one purely for fashion, you might as well put a bible on a chain around your neck, probably just as stupid
confirmed for having literally no knowledge of the culture. Go to India, they practically beg you to wear bindis just for fashion

>every individual white person is responsible for the bad things that other white people, hundreds of years ago, who may not even be related to them in any genetic, cultural, or ethnic way

when will this meme end

>archive.is/5350o
last year it was an african american racist girl who made a youtube video about the appropriation of braids and how it was wrong for people who aren't black to use braids. for a class about multiculturalism i think.

Wearing a headdress as a fashion statement is the equivalent of stolen valor imo.
Everything else is fair game so long as you do it with deference and not just steal from family designs like

I guess minorities can say bye to modern suits and ties.

You mean the ones that slave owners raped white genes into?

>stolen valor

And shoes
And TV
And Computers
And Phones
And Cars
And Planes
And Electricity

Underrated post

And the English language lmao

No there's some tribe (I think in the Pacific somewhere) where black people have blonde hair due to some kind of salt in the ocean or something. Though I don't think they're born with it.

Only English people are allowed to speak English!

Scheiße, wie soll ich jetzt weitermachen

>fine.

>throws child outside in cold.

The people who go full victorian are generally autistic suburbias who have no fucking idea what makes them look good and only care about the superficial OOH OLD TIMEY CLOTHING

>we
not all of us are American and that's a sins of the father issue.

Pls don't feel superior just because your great grandfather invented those. It wasn't you, it was them. You're on the same degree and level as me, i'm not a housemaid trying to be you. It wasn't you that made me clever, okay ?

one day i will have d walkure

Dreads, head dresses, etc all existed before your lifetime as well. So everyone should be able wear them.

You're really fucking stupid for this comment, because you completely contradicted the side you support.

Don't worry, nobody is going to steal your look, because it's shit.

Holy shit y'all are insufferable. Quit virtue-signaling.

> this is how white imperialists justify their actions

and jeans arent part of any culture fuckwad

niche pictures =/= "you'll see people wearing Nazi inspired stuff"

>photo shoot = everyday wear
are you mentally disadvantaged?

try thailand for nazi-core

cultural appropriation is pretty simple

if you don't treat it with the respect the original culture did, that's bad

most fashion, however, isn't treated as sacred objects

too put it in a western sense, it'd be like wearing a medal of honor without ever having served at all. you look like a tool/poser and it's disrespectful to the people that did. dreads though? hip hop? those aren't on the same level

am I allowed to wear my navy surplus peacoat with the anchor buttons?

You're stealing my gold mining cowboy culture

Of course. Navy peacoats aren't awarded for valor, they were given for utility

It's like the M-65 Field Coat

>itt: people who cannot understand scholarly discourse, people are inspired by fucking rick owens as a writer, and armchair white supremacists who havent seen a black person since that one time they got bulled by a black girl in high school

>scholarly discourse
It's a clickbait article about cultural appropriation m8

>Implying that the Ironcross isn't worn as a fashion accessory in some subcultures

lol I left Veeky Forums and switched over to /pol/ as my main board a year or two ago, and it's funny to see something like this the first time I come back

Veeky Forums is in dire need of /pol/, hell, every other board ive been to is in dire need of /pol/

I legitimately am not a racist, but I do not care if something I wear pisses off some easily offended sandnigger or or 1/16 Cherokee middle class white girl. It's funny when they complain about people of other races using an invention someone of their race came up with.. on the Internet.. on a computer.. that runs on electricity. All this PC shit is starting to get to be too much.

Do you also get angry at asians who take egytpian, christian and jewish symbols and wear them on their fashion?

>stolen valor
what the hell is the point of this? like its clothes, deal w/it

Obviously to stupid to understand the concept of stolen valor.
Where what you want but don't play dumb.

Maybe you're thinking of abos that dye their hair blonde? Or if you're thinking of the pacific then those people are Polynesians not blacks so by your logic blacks can't dye their hair blonde as it would be appropriation

Pants originated in Germanic tribes, you aren't allowed to wear pants it's cultural appropriation

Am I allowed to wear this? I need to know. Someone get Ja Rule on the phone

/pol/ is the cancer making it too difficult to have legitimate board realavent conversation any more. Stay on your own fucking board with his shit.

>Evil whitey killed all natives just to steal their shit and lands.
>Das fact mane

o-ok, I shall go flagellate myself now and cleanse myself of my privilege.

I think she should take a long, hard look at the Dutch braided hair and realize that she can't fucking own braided hair.

I wonder if she realizes that if all white people stop wearing native american inspirrd jewelry, the market will die. Nobody will produce them because they're unsellable except to a handful of people that may not even like their own culture. If this happens, their culture will completely disappear everywhere except academic circles. It will be relegated to the status of historic ethnic costume, much like a toga or something else generally unwearable.

We don't understand it because it's fucking bullshit.
All clothing and accessories hold no intrinsic meaning. You're trying to impose your own subjective beliefs on these objects, be they headdresses, medals of honor or otherwise. Fashion, like all art is about challenging those subjective societal boundaries. If that triggers you, you're barely different than the idealogues who tried to stifle Picaso's works of art.
In short: Quit being a SJW pussy.

muh sacred symbols of culture

this is just the insane left wing version of stolen valor fags.

if you're an egalitarian than believing in a thing such as "cultural appropriation" is counter-intuitive. progressivism is in collapse because tenets have formed which don't make any fucking sense. diversity is so obviously divisive but in some orwellian fashion it's inclusive. stuff like that where the movement is just contrarian of themselves and this warped idea of morals gets in the way logic.

i didnt take their land. im an non-white immigrant. is it okay for me to wear native american garb?

this is also exactly what i'm talking about. these mystical notions of "privilege and oppression". some people are "privileged" and some have been "oppressed" and you want us all to get along by accommodating the oppressed. now the oppressed have something the privileged don't aka a privilege for the oppressed. this artificial equalization is a mess of recursive and convoluted bullshit.

literal skinheads sans white supremacy lmao

ITT: White people don't understand the difference between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation; would rather shitpost/complain than deepen their understanding of the world around them.

In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue. More at 11.

modernity is eliminating the difference. global interconnectivity will somewhere along the line create a level of homogeneity. what we're calling appropriation now is the early stages of forming a global culture, we're only so averse to it now because of our proximity to historically unsavory details.

also im chinese since you felt the need to specify white people in your post

You'd better watch out, user. Japs are already grouped in with us privileged whites in some SJW circles.

The fact that culture vultures can quickly operate on a global scale doesn't eliminate the difference between exchange and appropriation. That those same vultures can later sell back these 'new' wares to the members of the culture that was originally pillaged isn't evidence of some equalizing interconnectivity or level homogeneity but in fact evidence of complete and utter dominance of the global market by a privileged elite. Also, the concept of appropriation and the controversy surrounding it aren't new, having existed in one form or another since the beginning of last century. Maybe it's just you who's become aware of it recently.

appropriation has been in action since the inception of societies and their co-interactions. the concept "arises" due to a general shift in western philosophy to one interested in altruism which shapes a fair portion of the government we have now. the slow corruption of that has been a philosophy somewhat disinterested in the welfare of the self because we're already "doing well enough".

can you specify these vultures and their actions? legitimate query on the details before i can respond

i meant more self-destructive instead of disinterested in the welfare of the self as that is altruism

>can you specify these vultures and their actions? legitimate query on the details before i can respond

can you literally google 'cultural appropriation' yourself and find myriad examples on your own?

>ITT: White people don't understand the difference between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation;
I understand the difference

>would rather shitpost/complain than deepen their understanding of the world around them.
Sounds like the entirety of over-sheltered cucks whining about muh culture on tumblr.

>pillaged
Man up, you fucking drama queen. We're causing offense minor offense to the easily triggered, not breaking into their homes and raping their women.

>isn't evidence of some equalizing interconnectivity or level homogeneity but in fact evidence of complete and utter dominance of the global market by a privileged elite.
Actually, it's both. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

>Also, the concept of appropriation and the controversy surrounding it aren't new, having existed in one form or another since the beginning of last century.
And it was a nonissue even then.

>I understand the difference
>Actually, it's both. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

>I-I'll just say he's shit posting, maybe he'll go away
Nice argument btw senpai

>Nice argument btw senpai
>Sounds like the entirety of over-sheltered cucks whining about muh culture on tumblr.

youtube.com/watch?v=DMrYfKo9qoY
Well it does, though. Tumblr is full of oversheltered special snowflakes that cry about their precious culture being "pillaged" (As if it were theirs to begin with), instead of focusing on actual issues.
Have a look at the video.

>half hour long video
>their culture isn't their own
>I get to determine what issues matter to other people

>Telling people to educate themselves on complex issues
>crying when they post a half hour long video
Wew

>I get to determine what issues matter to other people
I'm not determining anything here. Cultural appropriation is objectively a nonissue.

>comparing research on a well documented cultural phenomenon to a youtube video about a website you hate

u got me lad

>my opinions are objective
shitpost harder