Veeky Forums-related cringe thread

Veeky Forums-related cringe thread

> be in high school philosophy class
> every fucking discussion this retarded dyslexic manlet would always argue with the teacher
> always bullshit like "lol how can u prove this? lol u can't actualy kno anything lol what if we liv in simulation?"
> teacher would always just stare at him as if he was retarded, while manlet would have the most smug face ever
> every fucking day he would brag about "destroying" the teacher at lunch

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanj_Rebellion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_by_past_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>be me
>be in historyclass
>talk about first appearances of the concepts of freetime and tourism
>retarded gucci whore raises her am and asks the teacher why this was not banned right when it started
>lolwutnigga.png
>she explains
>mfw she mixedup TOURISM and TERRORISM

You had philosophy in high school?
Damn.

This honestly
My high school had "accelerated" English studies but never a real philosophy class

I just finished ap history and I realized how bloated it is.

Our teacher told us that Islam was the only religion in the world that did not condone slavery. I argued that they were just as guilty, as Islamic forces kidnapped young christian children and forced them to fight their own brothers, stealing them from their families. I got called down to the office later and was told to stop being so blindy eurocentric

Also the crusades were just zealots with no real basis of reason to go.

>pic related was my actual teacher

Not to mention slavery was explicitly banned in Zoroastrianism which was in the middle-east long before Islam was even invented.

I am curious as to who that is

Nigga a girl in my french class thought that it was illegal to look up information of pirates on the internet (because internet piracy lol)

I legit think she was mentally disabled

Do you live in Sweden?

Florida, most of my other history teachers were really based though.

Thats what I said, but apparently Zoroastrians could own slaves, just not other Zoroastrians.

>Be taking Early Modern history class
>Going over West Africa
>One of the first things we go over is race
>Suddenly a ethnic studies class about what is race and ethnicity
>why.jpg
>Finish that absurdly long session that had no connection to what we're suppose to learn
>Watch video about Mali Empire, specifically Timbuktu
>It's about a man doing a journey through Mali to get to Timbuktu which he praises endlessly
>Tries to picture the city and the empire in a good light despite the shitty conditions in everyday life of the country shown in the video
>Claims that the mud built university is as impressive as Notre Dame
>Colonialism ruined Mali

I'm not going to be a dick because Veeky Forums seems to be a lot more tolerant than other boards but your summer is showing. Enjoy college

Can you tell us your worst experience with John?

Storytime

Wasn't mali already shit by the 1800's, long after the trade had moved?

>in class studying
>studying afro-eurasian routes and our homework is to watch john greens video.
>he starts by trying to prove that Africa was as complex as everyone else, saying that you don't need a written language to be complex. Then he talked about mesa "we wuz kangz" the first, who apparently came with over 10,000 camels carrying gold, spending so much that it inflated Egypt
>the next day my class is told we will be studying the history of africa and their kings for the next three weeks, so we do t get biased by eurocentrism.
Sorry about the shitty greentext In advance

Maybe cringe, definitely autism

During 7th grade""""" social
studies""""""" we were playing some trivia game, and the class was divided into teams.

The topic was ww1, and I answered every single question for our team because no one wanted to participate.

The other team was getting extremely buttblasted that I was destroying them on my own, and complained to the teacher.
The teacher forbade me playing for the rest of the year, and made me full-time score keeper.

Shit was weak.

Yeah, it was. I think they had their shit rocked by the Moroccans. The city itself when he finally got there was destitute and barren, a far cry from other capital cities that used to be famous and grand.

Another fantastic tale
>watching more john green getting my brownie points for school
>tells me that slavery under no circumstance should be laughed about
>spends the rest of the video talking about how great the ottoman empire was, and joked about how well they were kidnapped christian kids
>pic related

He also talked about how the Aztecs sacrificing people make sense and how ww1 was just everyone only fighting in trenches

John Green has to be the most delusional person in the world.

>taking pseudoscientific philosophy unironically

>get mad because some people like to criticize things that can't be proven and attempt to use a rational basis for going about life.

10/10 cancer post. Maybe once you graduate you'll realize how useless semantics ideas like saying "reality is a fictitious conception" is.

Isn't this site 18+?

>only religion in the world that did not condone slavery

>skip over the Reconquista and call them "crusades"

Every fucking time.

Sorry to say, but europe leads the world and has for quite some time, since islam's east african concubines ruined the collective genomes of north africa and the middle east.

I was told that the only reason that they could lead the world was their African colonies that supplied them with the materials for the industrial revolution

Why were they leading the world before colonization then?

>Before colonization
They weren't.

I presumed that China was the leading power, as they let people trade with them as long as they said they weren't as great as the Chinese till the opium wars

>apologizing about your greentext in advance
>at the end of your greentext

Reddit PLEASE leave

Naw, just a newfag that needs to lurk moar

This happened to me, except they put me on my own team had to wait at least 30 seconds before answering.

>7th grade i think in hueland
>Talking about the releationship between Romans and Hebrews
>At some point we begin talking about Jesus and BC and AD
>Girl raises hands and asks "If there is a "Before Christ" and "After Christ" is there a "During Christ"?

Annoying voice but great body tho

European powers had global empires well before colonising Africa in any significant capacity. Early Modern colonisation of Africa was mostly limited to coastal areas.

It was the expansion into the Americas, South East Asia and India that gave European powers the resources they had in the Early Modern period. Africa started being more relevant to colonial expansion in the 19th century onwards with the scramble for its interior.

European powers certainly held dominance well before the scramble for Africa, but prior to the growth of the Portuguese and Spanish empires, and the discovery of the Americas and the age of exploration? Not so much.

We're talking about a world that isn't globalised prior to the advent of colonialism. Whilst the Ming Dynasty was a very formidable power in it's region with a well and truly gigantic population and military presence for it's time - it was never a global power in the sense that Spain, Portugal, Britain or America were.

In my country its a part of the curriculum, but it's more regurgitation of ideas, than an open discussion. But there are some essays to wtite, so it's not openly deboid of it.
We even has it in primary, but we didnt get past the Greeks, since the teacher tried to teach the thought behind philosophy.

One correction lad

Islam, or any religion, isn't monolithic, something your teacher and course also got wrong. You talk about Ottoman Janissaries, but refer to them as Islamic forces, which gives a pretty vague impression.

Otherwise, yeah your teacher is a dumbass. Whilst some early Islamic figures were anti-slavery, some of them being former slaves themselves, many of the Caliphates and later Middle Eastern empires and polities had thriving slave trades.

Look up the Zanj Rebellion, a slave revolt by largely African slaves that took place in Iraq, then part of the Abbasid Caliphate - in the 9th century ffs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanj_Rebellion

Also many slaver states like the Zanzibar sultanate (which was taking slaves well into the late 19th century) and the like were predominantly Islamic.

Your teacher was a dipshit lad, and probably because they themselves are Eurocentric enough to know so little of the history of Africa and the Middle East.

Baguette ?
Well, your manlet, in fact, had the same approach as Descartes

Valid question given the premises tbqh.

>be American
>in Normandy for France trip for history class in college
>giving a speech on the bus about the hedgerows on the landscape and why they were important
>couldn't remember the exact word
>called them hedgegroves throughout my speech/presentation

>Spain, Portugal,
Not global powers either. Just had a global presence.

These two were pretty powerless in the face of local rulers like the Chinks and Nips. Only the 1800's Industrialized Imperial powers could truly be said to have started the world power schtick.

Mansa Musa did brought enough gold to his Hajj to almost crash the Near East economy

Thats when I figured out a.d. was anno domini, not after death

Thanks for the clear up

>my country

Why do people do this? Is it some /int/ habit because you're used to flags showing, or fear of getting buttblasted because of /int/posting?

>high school history class
>teacher speaking
>Stalingrad and Leningrad were the same cities
>Stalin wasn't a nickname, it was an actual name, his nickname was Jughashvili
>mfw
I've confronted her after the calss. She said she needs to check up on the topic to see if I'm right. Never spoke about it again.

Also she now teaches at uni.

>Be me in 10th grade history
>Studying the Roman Empire
>The teacher says that the Roman Gladius was about 6 inches long
>The teacher says Rome at its height only had 100k troops
>The teacher says the Praetorian Guard was made of Elite Viking Warriors
>The teacher says the Romans never conquered the Spartans
>In return the Spartans unsieged Constantinople from the Vandals in AD426
>HE SAID THE SPARTANS WERE IN HOPLITE PHALANX WITH BRONZE ARMOR
>MFW

Wonderful

what.. how is this possible?

>doing English course
>presentations, topic weeks, etc. on random subjects including history
>it's all filled with incorrect information and half-truths

I wish I was autistic enough to speak out
Oxford educated manlet teaching people that William the Conqueror basically brought Christianity to England, calling the Triple Entente the Triple Alliance and a bunch of other shit I've suppressed

China had been BTFO for a long time by then

The fuck u saying?? Singlely Spain could destroy China twice, before XIX.

>"everything is relative however, our history and people are objectively evil"
>mfw

The only civilosations in the middle east (phonecians, syrians, assyrians, mesopatamians, jews, persoansanatolians etc), were white until after the muslim invasions

>Sophomore at very large state school
>Be in International Studies Survey class required for humanities majors
>Lot's of boring essays, End of History Fukuyama trash type stuff
>Talking about Cold War one day
>Boy raises hand and asks if the Berlin Wall was a metaphor for the divide between east and west
>Proff actually visibly double takes, she is one of the best I had for a class at college, totally down to earth and knowledgeable
>I laugh because wtf and look at my buddies
>She says it was a very real wall.
>Guy: Oh Ok
>He has to be a poli sci or int. studies or his major to be in here
>mfw I actually think about how our society has failed to educate kids later after class

No, that level of autism is unreachable

Well...just the regular stuff

>Everyone thought the world was flat

>Napoleon was small

>African "empires" were influential

>A-Level 16th Century English History
>Class is mostly dumb as rocks
>Teacher is trying to illustrate the political relationship between Henry VIII and Cardinal Wolsey
>Uses the example of the difference between an owner (Henry) and a managing-director (Wolsey) in a modern company
>The owner spends most of his time doing what he wants, maybe sat on a beach in the Bahamas or driving sports cars and going to parties
>Meanwhile the managing-director handles most of the day-to-day business that he isn't interested in
>The owner may call the MD on the phone to check in on things every once in a while, but otherwise is happy so long as the company continues to make money
>Some bimbo in the class legitimately asks: 'Did they have phones in them days?'
>Mfw

Cite the existence of janissaries, ghilman, and mamluks.

Shit, just ask him what the translations of Mamelouk or Saqaliba means.

This sort of wilful ignorance to whitewash muslim empires is kind of disconcerting.

Any kind of romanticism is disconcerting. Life for most people in history was shit.

The vast majority of Romans were poor as shit and Rome was built largerly from wood, which is why fire was such a big problem, and why the vigiles were founded.

Most Norsemen were farmers and the Vikings were poorly equipped compared to the professional troops fielded by the likes of the Lombards, the Franks, and the Byzantines.

You could write volumes on this.

Any real evidence of this? Just curious, it seems contentious.

""""white""""

That's not cringe, that's adorable.

I thought this would be less of a problem since "Anno Domini" makes a bit more sense in a Romance language.

Define "real evidence" in the terms of medieval history.

Philosophy isn't pseudoscientific because it isn't attempting to be science.

Every time a 'scientist' posts in a philosophy thread, all I can ever take from it is that scientists literally don't know what words mean.

>Be in AP Human Geography
>Ignorant Redneck who thinks that USA is the best at everything
>He tries to give a justification to nuking the middle east
>Says that We waste too much money on war
>It would be similar to the bombing of Japan becuase even if many people die they would be saving Americans lives

are you from Italy senpai?

>implying America isn't the best at everything

>What is Football

America is the best at football
It's not the best at soccer though

In Hue land we generally use "Antes de Cristo" and "Depois de Cristo"

user. Learning doesnt matter anymore, only test scores for state funding, rinse and repeat.

>filename

fucking lol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_by_past_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

The only timezone where any other nation or area came close to the top european country was after the collapse of the roman empire

in terms of technology and inventions it follows the same route, rome was the top dog until the collapse, Europe catched up in the middle ages again and exponentially became dominant in economy and science, every country today is built from the ground up with euro tech and inventions

>Aztecs sacrificing people
This is exaggerated typically. Archaeology finds many less executed remains than would be expected from what the Spanish wrote. Also other ancient people sacrificed humans. You see faint traces and a few actual examples in Greek and Roman antiquity.

>same route, rome was the top dog until the collapse, Europe catched up in the middle ages again

So basically Europe hasn't always been on top? Rome of course was a high point and obviously modern day since around the 1600s but other than that Europe has been insignificant historically.

>>You see faint traces and a few actual examples in Greek and Roman antiquity.
Maybe, but the Greco-Roman culture outlawed human sacrifice fairly early, and throughout most of it's history didn't do it.

>islam didnt condone slavery

I am reading this correctly right?

Learn english. I do not know what the fuck you tried to say.

Stop being so blindly Eurocentric.

i remember in my Criminal Justice class in high school this black girl tried to argue that The Netherlands was the capital of Oregon, which bordered the state of Boston.

At first I thought she was messing with us until 10 minutes had passed and I realized she was convinced of this 100%

>mfw shitty rural US town
>south Carolina
>lived in district gerrymandered so SC would have a democrat voice
>schools so shitty in this district that it's called the corridor of shame

>football
>soccer
>not handegg and divegrass

fuck you

>highschool
>be best student in class
>literally A just for showing up
>ww1
>"who can tell me a bit about the race to the sea"
>class retard
>explains how it was the German Armada having to reach open waters before French navy reaches them
>class nods in agreement
>teacher and I share a "can u believe this" moment
>explain it for them
>teacher tells me to go have a smoke for the rest of the lesson to not demotivate the class
>about to leave
>hear student ask teacher a question
>"why was it called ww1 weren't there two more a hundred years later ?"
spent 3 years of history classes outside smoking cause classmates didn't know shit

>In 'extension 1' English class, Australian equivalent of AP English
>Learning about Victorianism
>Someone asks 'Why would society not like sexual openness if having sex is part of life"
>Teacher says "good question" and answers something that could be inferred by common sense

Three groups in my gen ed music class said Mozart was from Australia during their presentations. I was the only person who said Salzburg.

>In religion lesson
>talking about politics and history of 20th century
>straight-A student, literally the best of the class, starts talking
>he explains how stalinism and fascism/nazism are exact opposites
>he goes on and comes somehow to an theory how pharmaceutical companies invented superfood, that could cure all diseases
>90% of class agrees with him

Also:
>be me
>be few weeks before graduation in grammar school
>teacher starts talking about cold war in history lesson
>some girls behind me are whispering to me: "Hey, user, what was the cold war again?"

I mean those people went 12 goddamn years to school

Ah, Jim Clyburn's district. He's the biggest racist in SC's congressional delegation and an overall unpleasant person. He'll never lose that office because of the color of his skin. What county are you in? Orangeburg? Williamsburg?

Forgot one:
>In history class 10th or 9th grade
>talking about napeolonic wars
>teacher explaining some details, how Napoleon reorganized Germany
>some girl in our class: "How could they even communicate? I mean, French and German aren't the same languages, how were they able to speak to another?"

She literally thought Germans/French learned each others language after WW2 by discovering it like ancient Egyptian.

I had a Girl in highschool history class who didn't know what a tank was.

>Cold war comes up mid conversation.
>Someone goes "What, the cold war was in the 60".
>No, the cold war was from 1945-1991
>No, the Cuban Missle Crises in the 60s was how the cold war started.
>Everyone agrees with him.

so fake it's unbelievable. spreading disinfo only makes real discussion harder.

Underrated filename

Elementary school teacher was a half Serb, half Croat with a Muslim husband.
She had an autism outburst when talking about WW2.

> in European history class
> talking about WWII
> talking about the wermacht
> teacher tells use about the Geneva convention and how that changed how WWII was different from WW1 like using gas in the battlefield.
> dude bro in the back asks " didn't the nazis like gas jews and kill everybody they found?"
> teacher: "yes the SS and the Nazis did but the wermacht was separate from this"
> dudebro: "no wasn't everybody a nazi"
MFW

I thought that philosophy in high school was common and even kind of "mandatory" around all Europe, maybe all the west.

I mean, it's not like teenagers learn something about philosophy in that class, just like they will not learn history or literature in those respective classes. They memorize and vomit concepts at best.

I think it's more like "we can't but I'm a powerful grandee so I'll do it anyways".

It was kind shit by the 1700 and even the 1600s if you ask me, compared with the past.

He's right though