Does Christianity/Judaism allow for the existence of other Gods?

Does Christianity/Judaism allow for the existence of other Gods?

*The plurality of Gods is directly stated in Genesis when it says the Gods descended to earth and had children with mortals. Because it uses the plural "Gods" this means there must be more than one God.

*God never really denies that other Gods exist, just that you should not worship them.

*Dead Sea Scrolls outright mention other Gods existing and being in a relationship with Yawheh.

*Hellenistic Jews even thought it was ok to "venerate" Greek Gods as long as you did not worship them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Judaism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Christianity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Islam
newgeology.us/presentation32.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9V_2r2n4b5c
talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who cares?

Apparently OP does.

>*The plurality of Gods is directly stated in Genesis when it says the Gods descended to earth and had children with mortals. Because it uses the plural "Gods" this means there must be more than one God.

isn't is "sons of God" not just Gods?

Fair play.

Of course, it even outright admits they exist.

Exodus 12:12
against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

No. There is no God except Allah, that's why he's called The God.

>Does Christianity/Judaism allow for the existence of other Gods?
>Christianity/Judaism
No one cares about your stone cube cult.

Is this a new strategy?
Islamic Fundamentalism as a counter-action against Christian one?

were under too many layers of counter-action.

>Implying this this Autism may ever reach to far

Yes
The Church Fathers called them devils
and never forget
Psalm 96:5

sons of El you mean. that's what the gods were called

Anything that says it's a god other than God is a demon. Demons always want to exalt themselves above God

Belief in god is absurd

Have you made offerings to Pallas Athena today?

Jesus is a demon confirmed

The Wikipedia article on Yahweh is surprisingly unbiased and scientific, treating him as a downright Near Eastern deity and not as "God", with a capital G. Anyway the relevant part:

>After the 9th century BCE the tribes and chiefdoms of Iron Age I were replaced by ethnic nation states, Israel, Judah, Moab, Ammon and others, each with its national god, and all more or less equal:[31][32] thus Chemosh was the god of the Moabites, Milcom the god of the Ammonites, Qaus the god of the Edomites, and Yahweh the "God of Israel" (no "God of Judah" is mentioned anywhere in the Bible).[33][34] In each kingdom the king was the head of the national religion and God's viceroy on Earth,[35] reflected each year in Jerusalem when the king presided over a ceremony at which Yahweh was enthroned in the Temple.[36]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

It was only after the Babylonian captivity that the butthurt Yahweh priests began with the there is no God but Yahweh bs.

this can be seen in the Meshe Stele. It almost reads exactly like Judges but with Chemosh instead of Yahweh. Chemosh gets angry at Moab and allows them to be subjugated by Israel but then changes his mind and helps them overthrow Israel

Memes always devour themselves. The interbutts will be the death of religion.

>Anything that says it's a god other than God

But isn't one of the characteristics of demons that they are flawless liars? How is a human to know a demon from God? Doubly so if he has to rely on a written account or on some priest, he doesn't actually hear god OR the demons himself, just has sheepish faith that they're real.

>It was only after the Babylonian captivity that the butthurt Yahweh priests began with the there is no God but Yahweh bs.

Relevant

Not in there modern forms at the very least. Probably never with Chirstianity, save some "heretical" sects that viewed Jesus and the father as separate.

Nor would any modern sect of Jews that I know of endorse the idea. Bits of Henotheism are littered around the early books of the bible as a throwback to those beliefs but today its rejected out right

>Does Christianity/Judaism allow for the existence of other Gods?
Why do you care about the opinion of these pathological liars?

>The Wikipedia article on Yahweh is surprisingly unbiased and scientific
That's because they forked off all the religious material into separate articles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Judaism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Christianity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Islam

Wew lad

Wanna a cite a source for that?

The Holy Bible

>pagan shits getting BTFO

sounds right

Not a valid source outside of your sunday school class kiddo.

sorry, i reserve all my seminal offerings for the virgin mary.

But reaching too far is the defining characteristic of autism.

It certainly doesn't allow for the existence of other gods who are God.

However, I think it could allow for the existence of spirits and beings who call themselves gods, but are actually not God and therefore ultimately not deserving of worship.

Basically what says. It's alluded to in the Bible.

xD

dunno about Judaism, but Christian theology's understanding of what God is makes true polytheism a logical impossibility. (tl;dr Christianity conceives of God as being an ultimate, infinite being -- you can't have two infinities)

any other "being" would necessarily be a creature...so other religions "gods" would only be capable of claiming something akin to the rank of "angel" or "demon".
certainly powerful, but not "God".

it's really just an autistic shit show as to what "God" means though.

>Christian theology's understanding
But this is the understanding of Plato and Aristotle. In Plato the demiurge creates the other gods to serve as intermediaries between him and creation so he can be perfectly exempt and transcendent. The Greek philosophers would have found absurd the notion that the supreme God would have had to do work (and rest)! And in Aristotle God is absorbed into contemplation of himself, as human and natural matters are too lowly for him, but the universe is ordered after God as the final cause.

What I'm trying to say is, they didn't find contradictory to have a chief god and intermediary gods. Christianity just calls the other gods angels.

No.

The 'gods' of paganism refer to fallen angels and the nephilim.

>a history book is not a valid source

bait harder

And the proof that the Hebrews of ancient Judea believed this is what exactly?

>>bible
>>history book
lolololololololololololololololol

no.

Even if most of the events in the OT were historically accurate and verifiable that still wouldn't make the supernatural events outlined in your holy book credible.

It's basically just connecting the dots.

Pretty much all paganism talks about a being falling from heaven and giving us "knowledge" and "intellect", ancient aliens style.

Prometheus, Belzebub, Moloch, Baal, Kronos, Saturn, Allah, Satan goes by many names.

The God of the Bible = Logos, Enlil, Adonai, YHWH, the ultimate creator.

"god" is a title. it can refer to any deity being worshipped.

God with a capital G refers to the creator who sits on the throne of Heaven.

It's a history book, deal with it.
Everything in the Bible happened.

You can stay in denial, that's not gonna change anything.

>>It's basically just connecting the dots.
So you don't actually have a source for the ancient hebrews believing that other people's gods were demons then.

You could have just said that and not spouted multiple sentences of bullshit you realize.

>God creates the world
>God creates angels, animals, man
>Lucifer, the most glorious angel, rebels against God
>1/3 of the angels join his cause

>Lucifer and his host lose the war and are cast out of heaven, relegated to our world (this is where UFOs and aliens come in)
>Lucifer becomes known as Satan, the adversary and accuser

>Satan tricks Adam and Eve
>Mankind falls from grace
>God promises a saviour
>World is under the influence of the devil, because Adam forfeited man's right of dominion
>Occult societies work on Satan's agenda
>Pagan civilizations rise and the stories and legends of pre-flood giants and fallen angels are romanticized and become their gods
>God chooses a nation of His own to be seperate and clean from the heathens, out of which the promised messiah would come

Pagans worshipped created beings, not God.

God was referred to in some ways, i.e Logos in Greek mythology or Enlil in Babylonian legends, but they are warped and erroneous views of God because Paganism is from Satan.

When you look at the Sumerian text, it says the same shit as the Bible except everything is inverted, Satan is the good guy and God is the bad guy.

Satan is a deceiver, liar and manipulator and he is responsible for all the evil and wickedness in the world.

He has lost in 33 AD, so now it's just a desperate attempt to bring as many people to hell with him as possible. He's being pretty succesful, considering how many people actually believe in the evolution myths and false religions.

Broad is the way that leadeth to destruction.

Every person is accountable for his actions.

Every person will answer infront of God.

>>Everything in the Bible happened.
Hmm, no it didn't.

>>You can stay in denial, that's not gonna change anything.
Amusing coming from someone who thinks that genesis is real. You're the one in denial here fuckwad.

Yes it did.

There is too many evidences to ignore.

>>all this bullshit
You have no reliable source for this other then your own imagination and hilariously dumb crank websites on the internet.

>You're the one in denial here fuckwad

says the moron who believes he came from a rock

No.

There is no evidence that the events in genesis happened. There was no global flood, no race of giants, no descent of humankind from two people etc.

These things are mythology, not history.

>It's wrong because I say so!

You don't like it because it conflicts with your worldview.

Cognitive dissonance, you suffer from it.

Seek help.

>>creationist calling someone else a moron while he demonstrates his hilarious lack of understanding of current evolutionary theory.

inb4 a hilariously retarded misunderstanding of what a theory is to scientists.

>There was no global flood
Yes there was. A simple look at continents and fossil layers will tell you that.

>no race of giants
Yes there was. A simple look at excavated skeletons and bones.

>no descent of humankind from two people
Yes there was. Why are we here talking to eachother then?

Nah, it's wrong because like an imbecilic chimpanzee you are merely throwing shit at the walls in order to see what sticks.

There is zero scientific evidence for the theory of evolution.

It's all assumptions, circular reasoning, smokescreen and government funding that keeps it alive.

>imbecilic chimpanzee

You're the one who believes your grandpa was a monkey.

Delusional atheist.

>>Yes there was. A simple look at continents and fossil layers will tell you that.
You understand absolutely nothing about the fossil record.

>>Yes there was. A simple look at excavated skeletons and bones.
Oh look, more bullshit.

>>Yes there was. Why are we here talking to eachother then?
This literally makes no sense. I'm posting this stuff out of boredom and a desire to laugh at a retard.

Do you have any proof for evolution?

lol you are stupid.

another idiot.

Judaism was originally henotheistic

get wrecked

Not on me no, but talkorigins.org has stuff you can read about it.

What proof do you have for the bible being anything other then a load of made up nonsense?

Oh look, an image pulled from some random crank website, how compelling.

>anything that disagrees with me is crank

Cognitive dissonance

Hmm no. This is just stuff you're getting from random creationist websites on the internet.

I'll just tell you this:
Maximinus Thrax:
>In May 238, soldiers of the II Parthica in his camp assassinated him, his son, and his chief ministers. Their heads were cut off, placed on poles, and carried to Rome by cavalrymen

He wasn't buried normally, it's highly unlikely that they've found his remains(or even the skull itself), I don't see any mentions about finding his body/skeleton anywhere.

"In my father's house are many rooms" seems to imply the afterlife isn't monolithic. Perhaps other gods are aspects of Yahweh in the same way Vishnu and co are aspects of Brahman.

And how is that any different from you getting your stuff from evolutionist websites?

>>evolutionist websites
You mean talkorigins as site run by people who either have actual degrees in biology or are at least working with the people who do?

Pretty sure that's a better source then some crank website run by some idiot with a degree from a diploma mill.

Evolution is a myth, literally a fairy tale.

The Bible is scientifically accurate and true.

>>newgeology.us
Oh look, a crank website.

Are you american or just retarded?

>talkorigins
Oh look, a crank website.

You're acting like a kid throwing a temper tentrum.

I'm American and I think he's retarded.

You haven't refuted any arguments.

Actual biologists aren't cranks. Nice try.

Still haven't posted any proof for evolution or refuted creation arguments.

You haven't offered any other then muh buybull and muh bullshit pictures from random lunatics.

don't bother

atheists are extremely retarded

just ignore him

The ball is in your court.

>creation arguments
>You haven't offered any other then muh buybull and muh bullshit pictures from random lunatics.

>haven't posted any proof for evolution
I'm not a biologist, but if you want you can go to talkorigins. Or you can look up some of thunderfoot's videos on the topic if you prefer.

random links from your crank website are proof only of your own dementia.

>talkorigins
>thunderfoot

You can't be serious.

You actually believe this shit?
Mr Fedora has been BTFO numerous times, and Talkorigins is just evolutionist's mouthpiece propaganda.

Ad hominem, still not an argument.

If you can't provide a counter-argument, you lose.

you have to suffer from severe dementia if you believe you came from a rock

>>Mr Fedora has been BTFO numerous times
No he hasn't.

>>Talkorigins is just evolutionist's mouthpiece propaganda
No it isn't.

You're brainwashed by the Darwinian monkey-myth cult.

>That's right, at first nothing EXPLODED and suddenly there was a soup.. out of that soup came monkeys which turned into humans!
>We don't have evidence, but you'll just have to trust us!

>>If you can't provide a counter-argument, you lose.
Talkorigins is the counter argument to all the nonsense you have posted in this thread and if you think that you have posted arguments other then muh buybull, muh cretinist website and muh bullshitty pictures.

These aren't arguments for anything other then your dementia.

>Darwinian monkey-myth cult.
Kent Hovind please get off Veeky Forums, your tax evading ass is stinking the place up more then usual.

Talkorigins is generic evolutionist babble.

Destroys and tears apart every argument evolutionists make.

Not to mention that Kent Hovind and others have also completely torn apart your pseudo-science religion.

I'll leave this here.

Evolution is a religion.

/thread

>>Talkorigins is informative information on the issue of human origins.

Fixed.

>>Destroys and tears apart my own credibility.
Fixed.

>>Not to mention that Kent Hovind and others have had their asses torn apart for tax fraud.
Fixed.

youtube.com/watch?v=9V_2r2n4b5c

ITT: atheists getting obliterated

Evolution have changed and is changing, so even if it is a religion it isn't comparable to those that base their religion on a fixed scripture.

>ITT: Samefagging, really obvious samefagging from a cretinist retard.

Well, yeah...neither do we. We just call the little guys "angels" rather than "god" (and we drop aristotle's deism).

The big deal is that "God" doesn't properly describe "powerful creatures" (like angels and polytheistic deities) as far as our usage is concerned. It's pretty much reserved for describing the prime mover.

Like I said -- it's nothing more than an autistic shit-show about what the word "God" actually entails.

it's a religion because

1. there is no evidence, it's just speculation
2. it's a worldview, and worldviews affect the way your behavior
3. it requires faith to believe in the laughable idea that a dog can turn into a whale

the theory is so stupid that they had to insert [billions of years] in order to make it sound more credible, as if adding more years make it more plausible.

the earth is 6000 years old, man was created by God. these are facts.

you can cling to your delusional alternative worldview from Satan, or believe in Biblical truth

>>there is no evidence, it's just speculation
>>talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

Shut up.

>1. there is no evidence, it's just speculation
There is evidence for it though, even if it is true what you say that it is far from enough.
Looking at archelogical findings we will find human-like selections but who got certain trait that makes them look more like apes, which makes it logical to assume we somehow developed from them.
Even if your side of the debate is true, it too have quite big holes like how the fauna in Australia vs Euroasia and America can be so different. Any explanations i have seen for it are neither stated in the bible nor do they have any evidence (LIke the animals using floating objects to get here)

>2. it's a worldview, and worldviews affect the way your behavior
So does ideologies and philosophies do, and we never call them Religions for that.
Would you say the theory of realtivety is a religion?

>3. it requires faith to believe in the laughable idea that a dog can turn into a whale
It isn't reallty more laughable than time going slower once you get closer and closer to the light of speed.

>talkorigins

Crank website.