Prep/ivy/trad thread

I am starting to get into this style and I am wondering how to pull of a youthful look without looking like an arab with flashy clothing.
I guess most importantly the clothes need to fit very good but I really cant of any more aspects. Ralph Lauren seems to focus on this but I cant make out what it is that makes his stuff look so youthful.

Other urls found in this thread:

wornthrough.com/2009/03/take-ivy-chapters/
ysl.com/fr/shop-product/homme/sacs-homme-business-porte-documents-fin-toile-monogramme-en-toile-imprimee-et-cuir-noirs_cod45224868ht.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

T B H those first two pics are going to look like Arabs IRL. Just a bit too fru-fru with the sweater around the neck on the first one, and the hair and shirt open to the navel on the second one.

This is more how rich white kids at good colleges dress in the summer. Simple and cool.

Thanks, but I mean generally if you got any ideas on how to not look like a grandpa. (I know ivy/trad is not supposed to be worn with slim pants etc. but I really dont care that much about the authenticity)

For example everybody in a German forum told me to buy raw jeans and I havent worn them since I bought them because I look like a fucking cuck in it, especially paired with sperrys. Now I am going back to jeans with washes.

could you boys give me a fit check on a navy blazer, I've never really had to where one and would like some feedback

"Trad" is a label autists came up with so they could cosplay as private school kids from the 50s because they secretly know they can't pull off looking like they went to private school this millenium.

Plenty of people wear slim pants, and J. Press (which is trad as hell) makes all their pants with pretty slim legs and high waists. One thing to watch out for is waist height if you want to tuck your shirt in. Too low can look funky even though people associate higher waists with looking like a grandpa.

Sperries aren't great. You're better off with loafers or canvas sneakers.

When in doubt, start with an oxford-cloth button down and work from there depending on the weather. Pic related is a good example of how folks dress in the summer.

>When in doubt, start with an oxford-cloth button down and work from there depending on the weather.
Since I am going to the gym atm trying to reach ottermode I wont buy anything new yet, but I already have 2500 yurobucks ready to spend (will start a minijob for extra 450 yurobucks/month after A-level exams).

I am planning to buy some ocbds first like you suggested...light blue, light blue with white stripes, rose etc.
Then some polos and maybe one or two rugby shirts and most importantly chinos, which are really hard to find since there is no J.Crew in Germany and it is really hard to find good fitting chinos.

Got any suggestions for jeans with a wash and slim fit? Most jeans with washes look like something a turk or arab would wear or something you would find at Jack&Jones.
J.Crew 484 look okay but that isnt an option like I already mentioned. :'(

Which Barbour coat is this?

What are UK native prep brands ?

Thyrwhitt
Lewin
Barbour

Jack Wills is Lowbrow right ?

Jack Wills is more of a high school/early college brand but it's not total cancer. Just don't wear all Jack Wills everything.

Can someone recommend me good chino pants for this style that are less than $100?

Op I know your European but euro prep is garbage unless your the son of an Italian motorsports/fashion magnate

That fit is pretty nouveau riche user

Reddit would truthfully be helpful in starting i think, but maybe look into camp type stuff in non-neutral colors like this

The only thing wrong with it is the shorts. I'd rather have full-length trousers but leave everything else the same.

It's miles better than Vineyard Vines core. That's the cancer right there.

THIS IS NOT FUCKING PREP

What is it then?

Trad is a label Jap ivyfags came up with when Ivy fell out of fashion but Ayatollah Ishizu Kensuke (pbuh) stuck to his guns, insisting he wanted to make Ivy into custom (fuzoku) not Veeky Forumsshun.

Japanese clothing still kneejerks back to ivytrad in a way Korean and Chinese fashion does not.

what's that blue shit? did he think they were playing checkers

those are some inbred looking guys

one and four can't even into ties, and their pocket squares are poorly done
three has an awkward fit for a jacket that probably cost as much as my car

two should probably not be wearing loafers with those kind of suit pants, I get it's part of their thing, but it's too far out

if u guys want i can upload a pdf full of images like these, looks neat

nevermind found it online
wornthrough.com/2009/03/take-ivy-chapters/

this book would be fucking garbage if they tried to make it today.

so true man, itd be the other way around

american photograph would go in japanese unis... haha

Popeye February 2016, they went back to the Ivy League schools and took pics
Dartmouth didn't disappoint

wow thank you for that! do you have it on your computer? cant seem to find a pdf version of it!

again thanks, this looks really promising haha

do you have link? I'm presently at dartmouth, it does disappoint.

never mind i looked, it was bad.

brown looked bad but I liked the Dartmouth fits
left it at my laundromat so I don't even have the issue anymore

The Japanese cameramen were turbo butthurt because actual American college students didn't follow the Shariah laid down by VAN JACKET so they had to stage a bunch of shots.

the video from their trip doesn't seem to suggest that

Half of that was staged afaik

Ametora talks about it

where did you find it?

oh that's cool; I really should pick up that book

Its a ralph lauren campaign

I googled Japanese magazine scans

It isn't hard to pull off looking like you go to a private school this millennium. I went to a prep school and most kids just wore head to toe VV trash.

Ahh yes the "my daddy will sue you if you touch me starter pack"

>implying that line isn't the greatest IRL troll
People are legit afraid of legal consequences and anyone who's heated enough to threaten you tends to come down when you remind them that it's not 10000 BC.

2 is wearing velvet dress slippers- a perfectly acceptable black tie footwear choice

UNCHARTED-CORE AO LMAY

Why do asians look so good in barbour? Does anyone know the exact model?

Prep is only good for fall/winter desu lads
It's very hard to dress prep in the summer without looking like a frat boy wannabe

this 1000x..there isnt any lawyer in my family but I got some lefties to shit their pants with a similar line

>tfw will never be a handsome preppy blonde American in the 1950s and get away with lynching niggers and raping women

>mfw this sheep buys into all that liberal bs

north american prep one of the worst styles

almost as bad as rick owens/techwear

if you can afford it, the absolute staples of this style are:

ralph lauren purple label
bottega veneta
ralph lauren black label
helmut lang
valentino

>brands
>UK prep
"Prep" is an east coast US style, the UK equivalent of prep involves a tailor.

Start reading Tatler

Pretty much my whole closet consists of.

this all looks like shit

That blue shirt that white guy is wearing looks really nice. Which brand sells the best blue casual shirt?

Literally nothing ivy about that fit you dang kafir

Kamakura
Gant
Mercer and Sons
Beams
United Arrows (sometimes)
Rugged Museum
Brooks Brothers
Lifshitz de la Ralphie
Jack Spade

Sneakers as casualwear was the beginning to the end as we see today.

>Black shoes

top kek m8

I have those same driving loafers. Comfy shit.

>all those sportcoats
Color me jelly. I've only got a basic navy blazer because I'm cheap but would love to wear jackets more.

got tips for making a dorm/first apartment preppy on a budget? nothing like kjp's interior pics pls

I went to a prep school and probably 25 to 30% of the stuff people wore was made by or for school programs and clubs. a good prep school is its own little world.

That actually looks dank though.

I had a rug in school colors on my dorm room floor with a pennant and some paraphernalia of the sports I play.

The cool kids in college all had christmas lights around the top of their walls. It sounds ghetto but is actually really nice and inexpensive.

Set your desk up like you mean business and consider getting a lamp and desk accessories that are more "mature" or professional than standard for a dorm.

Professional-looking art on the wall is always solid.

How do you dress preppy and still have a "badboy" look?

You are 'badass' by pissing off poor normies and nu males

Im thinking about leather jackets, hairstyles

I went to a prep in Buckinghamshire and it was pretty much the same story. The school recommended Ralph Lauren as school shirts and jumpers and if you didn't have Ralph you got bullied for being an outcast

If you have to ask, you're better off in Supreme.

That was amazing

>tfw J. Press jackets are actually amply padded
Where the fuck do I get unstructured jackets that aren't some Red Fleece cotton meme blazers?

You could try BB's Milano fit or try to salvage something from their Black Fleece collection.

bump

Took me a long time considering they are mainly from Brooks Brothers and a few pieces from J. Crew (The seersucker suit I think it's the only one)

But yeah, I'm a big fan of wearing a sport coat with a button down shirt and some chinos.

post a fit please, you could be my inspo

A few more rugs would really do a lot for that room

hello what is socks?

True. I've been thinking of how to carry the style into the summer but it's hard to without having that frat look. Especially when it gets really hot

>tfw not attractive enough to rock prep without looking like a tryhard

There is literally nothing wrong with looking "frat" in the summer. It's summer, options are limited and styles converge.

Having cooler pieces that aren't from Vineyard Vines or Chubbies will help though.

>An oxford shirt and pair of chinos and leather shoes is tryhard

Maybe he's from the South. I grew up in Alabama and anything above a Guy Harvey shirt, khaki shorts, and boat shoes is "tryhard"

Alabamian here. I went to private school so maybe I'm missing something but I thought frat kids wore button downs.

Prep is shit, more so in the summer. Anything more than a plain tee, shorts and sandals is tryhard.

That looks hideous.

As someone who was privately educated in Milan, I can attest to the fact that Italian prep is real and there's a huge culture around it.

>this is what poorfags actually believe

>table cloth in his breast pocket.
>black shoes, brown strap
>tacky as shit watch
>gingham button-down
>could he possibly have it less buttoned
>posing in front of middle-management-mobile

What a sad failure at attempting hashtagmenswear.

>posts shit inspo
>gets defensive

k bb

The only decent picture in this thread.

Also, going to a tailor tomorrow to order two MTM pop over shirts like in that pic: navy and white.

White will mostly be used together with blazers and the navy one with chinos/shorts/swimming shorts.

looks up James Dean and Steve McQueen

I like this fit for summer.

Explain, in detail, how this is even remotely bad.

>slim but louche blouson
>appropriately fitting trouser
>stick of rat poison (if you're into that)

It's effortless.
You wildin.

Good but the socks are too high, consider getting liner types that cut off around the top of the foot to where you can barely see any sock at all.

Cable-knit sweaters
Argyle patterned sweaters
Loafers
Boat shoes
Slim-fit trousers
Statement blazer (i.e. patched / buttoned)
College sweatshirt

Are all staples of ivy

Oh and don't forget a nice briefcase, I personally recommend YSL's large monogrammed one:
ysl.com/fr/shop-product/homme/sacs-homme-business-porte-documents-fin-toile-monogramme-en-toile-imprimee-et-cuir-noirs_cod45224868ht.html