Post some truly Pyrrhic victories

Post some truly Pyrrhic victories

Asculum, Borodino, Bunker Hill, Crete (That is, the invasion of Crete in WW2)

Came here to post Bunker Hill.

WW2 for the United Kingdom

Entire eastern front in WW2. Russia "won" but they lost millions of soldiers, madman Stalin had pretty much every official executed and half the country was burnt to the ground.

that's not a pyrrhic victory. They ascended to become a superpower and easily rebuilt their country. The Soviet Union could easily take those losses

Both sides got utterly destroyed t.b.h pham.

Fucking brutal.

Jesus Christ, can I get a tldr on this?

Ok.
>T'ang Dynasty China
>An Lushan Rebellion: Turkic General in Chinese service takes a shot at being emperor in China's most out of the blue rebellion ever (T'ang Dynasty was doing really well when it happened).
>T'ang Empire caught completely by surprise. Western Armies withdraw to defend heartland.
>One of them is General Zhang Xun.
>Unfortunately for him: his commandery (region of military control) is in direct route to the Capital. And the bulk of the Rebel Army headed his way.
>Solution: defend Xingyang region.
>Initially goes really well with the utilization of local militias to capture fortresses right under the noses of the Yan Rebels.
>SHIT, MAIN FORCE APPEARS.
>Fuck
>Ok guys, here's what we do. Ask the other provinces for help. We stay here and hold them off as much as we can while the Emperor evacuates.
>First battles with Yan rebels go successfully. A mixture of siege and ambushes. Featuring the trick where Zhang Xun shoots reeds at the Yan. Yan thought that Zhang lost arrows and was just rusing them, causing the commander, Yin Ziqi, to lead a charge. Zhang then switched to real arrows and managed to severely injure the commander.
>This goes on for around 8 months. However siege takes toll on defenders.
>Ate the dogs & cats,
>Then the army horses.
>Run out of food.
>M-MAYBE WE SHOULD SURRENDER AND OPEN THE GATES TO THE REBELS; some T'ang troops said.
>Zhang: Hmm, yes we probably should.
>Surrendering soldiers show up in town square.
>Zhang: LOL I WAS JUST KIDDING. NOW I KNOW THE TRAITOROUS SCUM AMONG YOU. He kills them.
>Zhang then kills a concubine and says: since I cannot feed you with my own flesh, here take my concubines. We. Have. To. Hold.
>Army then begins to prey on populace just to keep on fighting

>defeat invading snowniggers
>ard rí dies
>his 2 first sons die including able successor
>shitty son left to rule
>alliances hammered together by ard rí during his lifetime quickly dissolve
>country devolves back into full tribalism
>no chance of centralization under one monarch like the anglo-saxons
>normans invade a century or so later
>follow 800 years of occupation and the destruction of native culture

TL;DR
>Eventually they are worn down ton a very few survivors.
>These guys make a last desperate charge to kill Yin Ziqi. Fails.
>Zhang Xun is captured, brought before commander.
>Zhang is found to be reduced to a maddened wreck who, when asked by Yin Ziqi why the fuck did he do the things he did, Zhang replied "I WANT TO EAT YOU REBELS ALIVE."
>Yin Ziqi admired their tenacity and then stupidly proceeds to ask the remaining commanders to defect to Yan. (not taking the hint that these people cannibalized just to keep fighting rebels)
>They all opt for execution.

End result: Rebels fails to march to the capital and capture the Emperor. Emperor retreats to Southern China, which was untouched by the war, and proceeds to push the rebels back with the forces from there.

This sound sick af.

Any good books/resources on it?

jesus christ that's poetry

Winter War

>execution
>not joining then betraying the rebel scum who forced you cannibalism

Pussy/10

Yin Ziqi would've likely made it known to all immediately that they defected. Then their reputation would be irredeemable, no matter what manner of betrayal occurs, they'd still be executed when they reach friendly lines.

Germany overrunning Western Europe so shockingly easily gave hitler the confidence that he could invade the USSR with similar success so in that way it's a bit of a psychological Pyrrhic victory

Dude, the USSR lasted just 40 or so years after ww2, it can be argued that the damaged suffered in that war led to the long-term decline of the USSR.

Why didn't the emperor come to save them? 8 months was surely enough time to raise an army in the south. They could have arrived and smashed the weakened and probably demoralised rebels.

You make it sound like it completely collapses. It was just a few oblasts that regained independence and a few massive political changes, but Russia is pretty much the successor of the Soviet Union. The end of the SU had nothing to do with the losses during WW2.

>Irish fairy tales

>>You make it sound like it completely collapses.
It did. There are reasons why so many older people in modern russia are nostalgic for the soviet era.

>>It was just a few oblasts that regained independence and a few massive political changes
>>except for all the massive stuff that changed nothing really changed at all

lol

>>but Russia is pretty much the successor of the Soviet Union
No it isn't.

the end of the SU had nothing to do with the losses during WW2.
Yeah no. This is wrong. You don't lose millions of your own citizens and not have severe negative effects from that, furthermore the paranoia that led to the creation of the iron curtain wouldn't have happened without ww2. The military force necessary to keep the pact nations in the pact itself were led to the economic problems that the soviet union suffered from in the 80s as well.

It didn't collapse, that's the point you cuck. There is a difference between a collapse and a DISSOLUTION.

>being this stupid
lmao

nothing in that post is fiction my anglo friend

If you check the wiki page its still debated actually. Most likely it was the northern provinces being scared to shit and focused on defending themselves.

When An Lushan rebelled he almost took the whole of the Western garrison units with him. Meaning the only army left to the T'ang besides its loyalists in the Western Garrison was the cunts in the South. The Northern Army meanwhile was busy evacing the emps.

That's right faggot, you keep moving them goal posts around.

The victory over Nazi Germany was really just the loss of Eastern Europe to the Soviets.

An Lushan ruined a great thing.

The interim period between Tang and Song was really interesting though.

The Soviet Union lost half its population tho. That sounds pretty "collapsing" to me.

Literally not a single goalpost was moved, but keep hiding behind those terms to mask your utter idiocy

>Literally not a single goalpost was moved,

>It didn't collapse, that's the point you cuck. There is a difference between a collapse and a DISSOLUTION.
Looks like some goalpost moving with a side order of tiresome semantic quibbling if you ask me.

>Army then begins to prey on populace just to keep on fighting
Hardcore

>making a distinction between a collapse and a dissolution is semantic babbling

I think everything is just semantic babbling to you and you don't seem to be good at it

Oh please, more word games? The guy said the soviet union didn't completely collapse and that is wrong. Every last thing that the soviet union provided for it's citizens came crashing down in the nineties and Russia today is only barely recovered from that havoc.

>Turks ruin T'ang AND destroy Rome

The Catalaunian Plains.

>It can be argued that the damaged suffered in that war led to the long-term decline of the USSR.

But you won't argue that, because its not true.

Then how do you explain the fact that the USSR went through several periods of rapid growth? Was it a 'delayed reaction collapse'?
The USSR didn't lose 'half its population', I'd question any source citing such statistics.

>furthermore the paranoia that led to the creation of the iron curtain wouldn't have happened without ww2.

It would have been 100x worse, since instead of a joint war against fascism to establish some commonality between US and USSR, you have two hostile nations whose closest encounter was America funding the Whites and sending an expeditionary force to Siberia.

>The military force necessary to keep the pact nations in the pact itself were led to the economic problems that the soviet union suffered from in the 80s as well.

The military force wasn't just an issue of bullying the Warsaw Pact. If you think that NATO didn't pose a real threat to the USSR, then you are either naive or have been brought up on approved material.

The USSR suffered because it had the economy of a much weaker country, and much of the 'rivalry' between the US and USSR was a joke - even with such bloated spending on the army, the US outstripped them, because it wasn't two superpowers in contest, it was the capitalist world trying to bust the USSR, which they did.

pretty fucking pyrrhic if you ask me

also ww2 for Poland if you want to count that

>implying Poland won WW2
They got occupied and became a communist shithole satelite

>The USSR didn't lose 'half its population', I'd question any source citing such statistics.
USSR population 1991 - 293,047,571
Russian Federation population 1991 - 148,394,000

that's why i said if you want to count that, they were technically on the winning side

I thought you meant that half of the USSR's population died in WW2.
Obviously the USSR collapsed, but you can't really say it lost its population, since it no longer existed. Russia didn't lose anyone, since the modern Russian federation is just the Russian SR.

Yes, and the RF is the successor of the SU, which means they lost half their population.

It's true though, the post war age was decidedly anti-Imperial and both the major powers were decidedly unfriendly towards Empires. WW2 basically showed how sway British Empire had with most states, even the fucking Civil Servants at the time knew it.

>Yes, and the RF is the successor of the SU,

No it isn't. The USSR was comprised of many SRs, it was a union of republics. Russia is one part of the USSR, and is not equivalent to the whole.
It did not lose half of its population, it disintegrated, it lost all its population, or its population lost it.

The RF = USSR meme is entirely misleading, and based on laziness.