Wewuzism

So apparently some TV-show will once again depict Hannibal as a black guy.
This annoys me greatly as a history buff, but I also think it's horribly disrespectful to Tunisians and the Lebanese, fucking with their history in the name of black nationalism.

I really wish there was a proper effort to combat what I shittily call "wewuzism". Whether it's black nationalists, white nationalists, or simply stupid shit like Sarmatism and modern day Macedonians obsessing about Alexander.
The dishonest use of history as a political tool should be combated somehow, and it would be as easy as just stating facts.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attila#Etymology
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21082907
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is disrespectful to history and to Lebanese, Tunisians, Cypriots, Spaniards, Sardinians and Sicilians

Blame america and capitalism.

I think pretty much every culture engages in Wewuzism to some degree

My specialty is in Scottish linguistic history and you'd think that's a narrow enough field to avoid it, but nope. The Lowland Scots was Goths n shieeeet. The Gaelic man be keeping us down

Beware the Eternal Teuchter

So apparently some TV-show will once again depict Karl der Große as a french guy.
This annoys me greatly as a history buff, but I also think it's horribly disrespectful to Germans and the Belgians, fucking with their history in the name of french nationalism.

I really wish there was a proper effort to combat what I shittily call "honhonism". Whether it's black nationalists, white nationalists, or simply stupid shit like Sarmatism and modern day Macedonians obsessing about Alexander.
The dishonest use of history as a political tool should be combated somehow, and it would be as easy as just stating facts.

Doesn't work, Germans/French look the same and have a shared cultural history. A black African could never pass for the real hannibal, a french could for got charly.

>Germans/French look the same

>The Lowland Scots was Goths n shieeeet
Holy shit that's preposterous

>Cypriots
I don't think Greeks give a shit about that

>Beware the eternal teuchter
kekekeke

u mean phonecians

Being Lebanese, this shit bothers me a lot. The fact that there is a statue of Hannibal and they still chose to ignore it hurts.

Wish I could draw like that

Reminds me of the times I've seen Cleopatra depicted as Black

Not only was Cleopatra not a Black African, SHE WASN'T EVEN EGYPTIAN

lmfao

>my fucking sides

>tfw Rome destroyed Carthage's great library and thus one of the few windows we would have into deeply analyzing their civilization and "great people"

>tfw Carthage accused of being violent infant sacrificing barbarians with no culture

>tfw pop culture now insinuates that everybody who ever lived in Africa was black and the Punic origins of Carthage are now obscured

rip Carthage ;_; You were destroyed and although the Romans did not actually salt the ground that you were built on, we've pissed on your legacy instead.

Hannibal wasn't "black," sure, but was he "Tunisian?" No. He was Carthaginian. Nobody you cast in present day is going to be ethnically the same as any historical person from 2000 years ago, because ethnicities are not static. And really, what does it matter?

You're right, he was a dirty Jew actually

The Phoenicians/Carthaginians often intermarried with local Libyans. It's not inconceivable that Hannibal was mixed.

>We were goyim n shit

The locals were not black in the slightest.

I don't know if you've noticed but there is a gigantic desert between the north Africans and black Africans.

No, they are beaners since they got involved in Spain.

KINGZ AND SHEET CHOLO POWER

VIVA LA RAZA

Americans everybody

Modern Macedonians are probably linked to those ancient fuckers seeing as they're not really Slavs genetically.

phoenicians basicaly looked like a jew screwed a syrian then married the offspring to a greek

definitely not ''''''''''''''''''''black''''''''''''''''''''''''

Wewuzism is a very common phenomenon among nations with revanchist inferiority complexes, pic related, afrocentrist didn't invent it

>We remember the glorious victories
>over Germany in 1945
>over Khazaria 1045 years ago
>over China 7500 years ago

How would you feel if a white (north/west/east/central european) giy was cast as hann8bal?

use the sjw automata for your cause, just get a couple of maghrebians - midlle easterners on your side, apply the term ''cultural appropriation'' and insert information into a online echo-chamber, then just observe magic occur

They really should cast a white guy, not a lot of Arabs look like this.

still disrespectful but still closer and possibly ok with right casting
arab white is smaller gap than arab black

Was that made contemporarily to Hannibal's lifetime?

Yes, though apparently it's not clear if it was an accurate portrait.

The same thing annoyed me in Attila: Total War. They depicted Attila as Germanic when he was central Asian looking, maybe like a Mongol. I wish there was a mod for it.

Not really. He's clearly a vague white/asian mix. The best choice to go with.

You only need a single actor, not a lot, so problem solved.

Attila's appearance is very unclear, he could've been any number of things. Remember that Iranian steppe tribes were still pretty prevalent back then. He may have been Asian looking, or Iranian looking, or a mix of all sorts of ethnicities. We don't know.

If you are referring to the "White Huns", who are Iranic, they are very specifically differentiated on the basis of language and race from the normal Huns by Persian and Byzantine/Roman writers.

A lot of the concept art looks pretty different. I reckon his in game model looks more Germanic.

I've been hearing conflicting info on Attila and the Huns all my life. Were they Far East Asians like the Mongols or Europeans from modern-day Western Russia? I even heard that they were Asians and Atilla was their Germanic leader. Could somebody please clear this up for me? Is it something that's known at all? Or do we just know that they were Eastern and that's it?

They were both. The "Huns" weren't a single ethnic group. They started from the far east and picked up people as they went. So you had Asains and Germanics.

it will be equivalent of a japanese portraying a chinese, which actually works

>over Khazaria 1045 years ago
Absolument basée

>basée

How do you pronounce this?

Attila is a Gothic name. There's a theory going around that Attila might've been mix raced, the Hunnic confederation was already incorporating large numbers of Gothic and Germanic tribes into its own host.

Persian and Byzantine/Roman sources are pretty obviously hostile to the Huns and have a bunch of shit like calling them a "weak race and stunted as people physically" which clearly isn't true obviously.

Something like bah-zay. It rhymes with fiancé to be more precise. /baze/ in IPA.

ok thanks

been trying to learn French

>Hannibal probably hated his Nubian nigger allies and saw them as beneath pure blood Carthaginians
>gets depicted as dark skinned nigger thousands of years later

JUST

>Attila is a Gothic name

This meme again. No one know etymology of his name. It's Atilla is Gothic name is one of the theories.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attila#Etymology

People were pretty lax about race back then, he wouldn't have hated his nubian allies for being black

>The dishonest use of history as a political tool should be combated somehow

what's up /pol/cat?

This was my favorite historical movie to watch as a kid. Rate its Wewuzism. The actress is Chilean btw.

Well Carthaginians did see themselves as superior but there wouldn't have been any /pol/tier racism crap about niggers

just cast alexander siddig again damn it

Oh shit
That's Bashir

Oh shit, he played Hannibal? Gotta check this out, thanks.

How is that a /pol/ statement? Or are you just inferring something like "the FILTHY JEWS manipulating the MEDIA need to be STOPPED" and using it as an excuse to complain more about /pol/?

wtf do they mean by China 7500 years ago? Is this some Russian hyperwar meme?

This one as later Hannibal could do, he looks the part.

>doctor bashir and o'brien cross the alps to take on the romulan army with their bajoran elephants
>they hire boatloads of mercenaries thanks to quark the space jew
>klingon gauls and cardassian greeks somehow fuck it up

would watch/10

Tocharians defeating ancient Mongoloids?

Tunisians were originally Black like all North Africans.

Genetics showed this already. The desert wasn't always there, it's actually quite recent.
The people of Carthage were not homogeneous. There is no singular phenotype.
He is half Sudanese and half English, honestly I'm okay with him playing North Africans because everyone will shut the fuck up

>Tunisians were originally Black like all North Africans.
>Genetics showed this already. The desert wasn't always there, it's actually quite recent.
Both of these sentences are objectively wrong. They were and still are Berbers who are not black, they are brown. The Sahara has been there for all of human history, yes it did used to be less barren than today, however it was still impassible.

>genetics show
eric simply eric :)

Except according to a genetic study done by an Tunisian Institution you are incorrect.

>The results show that the most ancient haplogroup is L3*, which would have been introduced to North Africa from eastern sub-Saharan populations around 20,000 years ago. Our results also point to a less ancient western sub-Saharan gene flow to Tunisia, including haplogroups L2a and L3b. This conclusion points to an ancient African gene flow to Tunisia before 20,000 BP. >
>These findings parallel the more recent findings of both archaeology and linguistics on the prehistory of Africa. The present work suggests that sub-Saharan contributions to North Africa have experienced several complex population processes after the occupation of the region by anatomically modern humans. Our results reveal that Berber speakers have a foundational biogeographic root in Africa and that deep African lineages have continued to evolve in supra-Saharan Africa.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21082907
The "white" Berbers are peoples who adopted Berber languages and customs throughout the years, arguably they are Western Asian migrants who absorbed the native black North African cultures during the Green Sahara period of the neolithic subpluvial without absorbing too much of the local population + European migrants who've assimilated over the past 2k years.

You don't really know what you're talking about, I don't blame you because most people on Veeky Forums talk about things they don't understand but the research is there.

You don't know what you're talking about buddy. No one cares about 20,000 years ago, we're talking about the classical world, where the north Africans were not black. Besides, a sub saharan gene flow into North African still doesn't mean they were all black people, it means what it says, a flow of genetics.
Why the fuck would we be talking about such a long time ago, ago prehistoric times, i might as well bitch to you that Europeans were all Neanderthals then.

hurr

We wuz Finnish N shiet

Gr8 b8 m8

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Okay I'll string it together because you are upset I made you look stupid.
The oldest markers of North African populations is sub saharan. That is the foundational genetic stock of birth African peoples, still found in populations today.

Like I said in my first post: North Africans were originally black like all North Africans.

The Sahara desert is recent, there were other deserts that existed that were larger or smaller however what researchers understand of human migration in North Africa is one of human migrants travelling from the south to north that was some 100k years ago, followed by another drying stretch that then brought about another green period that brought about the ancestors of berbers that were actually native to north Africa followed by another drying period finally creating the neolithic subpluvial where herding eurasians immigrated and assimilated into native black north African populations to various degrees.

We have roman records of Leukaethiopes and the Melanogaetulians, "whites" who adopted the culture of Saharan tribals and blacks who had not yet absorbed the migrating Eurasians fully yet.

Europeans are a mixture of Western Asian farmers and Upper Mesolithic hunters the Neanderthal bit is not something unique to them, Chinese have more Neanderthal ancestry. False equivalency.
Genetic research of north Africans made by North African researchers is not in fact bait.

why do you only put white in inverted commas

>Like I said in my first post: North Africans were originally black like all North Africans.
Doesn't matter, we're not talking about any original population, we're talking about North Africans during recorded history, who were not black.

>100k years ago
Again, no one cares, you might as well be talking about another planet, we're talking about antiquity, when the Sahara was dry, and difficult if not impossible to cross, and north Africans were not black. What use is it to bring up prehistoric times.

Exodus out of America, when?

>Beware the Eternal Teuchter

Mach a seo, sasannach.

>tfw pop culture now insinuates that everybody who ever lived in Africa was black and the Punic origins of Carthage are now obscured

Obscured but not lost or forgotten.
I don't think Classical studies & archaeology are as infected by bullshit racial progressivism and politics as anthropology.

Residents of the FYROM and modern Greeks are very closely related, genetically. So are Albanians. Bulgarians vary because the country is spread over a larger and more diverse area.

But either way, historical Macedonia was in modern Greece, Macedonians spoke Greek, and half their history can be characterized as 'Greek barbarians' and the other half as simply Greek.

A lot of propaganda coming from FYROM (or online shills anyways) distort these facts by claiming that it was situated further North, or they go so far as to say that ancient Macedonian is related to modern 'Macedonian' - which is entirely false.

Pic related. Ancient Macedonia's location superimposed on a map with modern borders.
This triggers the Skopjian>

>1130942
>1130982
>20,000 years
Jesus fucking christ what a retard.

cypriots and greeks have phoenician dna admixture

It isn't really 'Phoenician' it's just 'Near Eastern'.

Phoenicians were a single semitic culture/civilization among many with identical origins.

Although Cyprus was probably semitic before the Greeks colonized it and subjugated them/assimilated them (albeit, that was in ~1200-1100 BC so a pretty long time ago).

This 'trying to decern racial purity' through genetics is pointless because all studies demonstrate that all populations, ancient and modern, were the result of many waves of migrations coinciding with technological and climate changes (bronze, iron, agriculture, horses, ice ages, floods, etc).

But at no point in recorded history has North Africa been occupied by majority black populations. A few here and there, yes, but never the majority.

I can't tell if that was supposed to be a joke supporting the notion that Germans and French do not look similar. Or if it was just a really dumb statement.

>nobody was racist before /pol/ invented it

Racism as we know it didn't exist until the 18th century, with the exception of Muslim Arabs and their views on blacks. Racism will have existed since the dawn of humanity, the "other" is always treated negatively, especially those who look different, but scientific attempts at racism and government sponsored racism is a fairly new thing.

Prejiduce did exist, but whenever Europeans encountered non-white savages they were more like "These guys need Jesus so they can be saved" and less "They must be inferior because of their subhuman genetics."

>government sponsored racism is a fairly new thing
you cannot possibly be serious.

Yes thats what I'm saying. Same with the Romans, I'm sure they were racist as hell and stereotyped different races and spoke to them like dirt, and yet they accepted everyone into their empire and believed they could all turn into good Roman citizens, it wasn't true racism like nowadays. Racism now is wholly about genetics, that for example a black man is irredeemable and will always be a certain way because of his genes, in the past it was more considered that his culture and lifestyle was inferior, not himself.

Look at this fucking nose, he looks super "arab". You just need to cast an attractive one.

Although there was Phoenician colonies on Cyprus in the classical period, just more greek colonies were there too.

Didn't see the movie, but it's perfectly okay for a woman with south-european ancestry to be Cleopatra. She was greek.

>18th century
There's explicit mention to racism against blacks before that.

>the government allowed other races to be citizens so all the citizens must have been super accepting. Surely only in the modern era would government policy not match the views of every person.
>rome was the only civilization in history
Oh, you just have brain damage.

How did you extrapolate that from what I said?
You clearly misunderstood me. What I am saying is though racism existed and people were racist, there was no official racism, and it more or less just amounted to peoples typical prejudices.

So calm down

Because they aren't European
No we aren't, I stated they were originally Black

Originally

O-R-I-G-I-N-A-L-L-Y

100K years ago we have evidence of south to north migration, 20k years ago we have genetic proof of subsaharan origins in native North African populations and 2k years ago we have roman records speaking on populations influx black and brown.

Nice try user, it's okay you got educated.

>No we aren't, I stated they were originally Black
Like I said, it doesn't matter, no one cares what race the original population was, we are talking about antiquity, not prehistoric times, we were never talking about prehistoric times. Your argument is just a pathetic attempt to prove they were black for the sake of argument. When people say North Africans weren't black, it really isn't valid if you pop up and say "Nuh uhhh they were black 100,000 years ago actually!". Yea, and Europeans were Neanderthals, doesn't make the Romans Neanderthals, because we're not discussing prehistoric times.

>Scottish linguistic history
Have I been memed

>It isn't really 'Phoenician' it's just 'Near Eastern'.

It's Phoenician too since Phoenicians were founding colonies in Cyprus before they even founded Carthage.

You're presenting Rome, a rather unique example, as indicative of all human civilization prior to the 18th century. And you're even wrong about Rome, full citizenship wasn't automatic.

And /pol/ stormfag racism isn't official either, quit with the motte and bailey shit.

Following your ridiculous attempts of argumenting something, we should represent Washington or Lincoln as amerindians. After all, people was red originally in the USA!

Lebanese people are pretty pale (in comparison to other Arabs), I get mistaken for Italian from time to time so I really wouldn't mind a white guy playing him as much since it's not a major difference like a black guy.

>implying that some Celt/Germanic "Russel Crowe" type actor is any better than a black depicting Hannibal

Habibi, you disappoint me.

Except the genetics found were in modern Tunisians

So your basically stating a false equivalency
The study shows that Tunisians today are rooted in subsaharans whoblater assimilated herders.

They have gone through further mixing throughout time, noted by romans they have gone through further mixing in the time of carthage.

This is representative, a mix race person of African and Eurasian ancestry

>modern americans don't have amerindian blood