Veeky Forums artists

Post effay artists here. No rules, they could be a renaissance artist or a contemporary artist.

I will start - Nam June Paik.

He is considered to be the 'founder' of video art, he combines real world sculpture with a video to create a large and sometimes interactive sculpture. Pretty fucking cool imo.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2wtSs0agd2w
youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0
youtube.com/watch?v=4nyGhfP96Qc
photographersgallery.com/by_artist.asp?id=263
youtube.com/watch?v=LVSOCbXzdO0
youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac
youtube.com/watch?v=1fAIYkwLjJc
youtube.com/watch?v=i7i83yoQSo0
youtube.com/watch?v=o19m2UjTo9A
youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g
youtube.com/watch?v=P8Y2-j2pMVk
youtube.com/watch?v=hVI8k42V_Dg
youtube.com/watch?v=E8DTnrwWnpc
youtube.com/watch?v=qm-VD68tVB4
youtube.com/watch?v=EOd1zGi1gKE
youtube.com/watch?v=FXYPP728XyU
youtube.com/watch?v=uPQD6eLw1B4
youtube.com/watch?v=gBLdrP8p_Ek
youtube.com/watch?v=4w6HJDVtiJY
youtube.com/watch?v=7ZiFU_QaB9I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't this just an inspo thread?

>Isn't this just an inspo thread?
sure it is. art inspires fashion so why not have this thread

dimitri devyatkin

>art inspires fashion
I agree, and to some extent yourself

>why not have this thread
It adds to the multiple inspo threads we have/get. This thread also misses something. Inspiration comes from not only from the various artfoms we have, but also from ideals, concepts or nature itself. For example: stoicism. When someone posts Nam June Paik, Haring, Miro or Bosch, you can say that isn't the only things that influences him or her.

You could just make a collage of your inspo. It represents the idea of inspo better and you have less cluttering of threads.

Cy Twombly

the one of the most influential people in modern art

youtube.com/watch?v=2wtSs0agd2w

youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0

this is a really insightful reply. thank you

This is amazing

What of my post speaks to you?

And why don't you make a collage yourself?

Greatest living artist, no irony.

I saw this by him a couple years ago in my hometown.

Are you the guy from /p/ who took bottom left?

No, I took it from him, like I did in this picture. I guess I'm guilty of plagiarism.

youtube.com/watch?v=4nyGhfP96Qc

photographersgallery.com/by_artist.asp?id=263

Some say fashion is self-expression, but can you express yourself when there is no self?

Tales of Suspense 82 - 84
youtube.com/watch?v=LVSOCbXzdO0
Solaris by Tarkovsky

I should add that not everyone is inspired by the same thing. Let's take Haring for example. One could claim that it's just stickmen taking funny positions. One other could say that Haring presents humanity in it's very rudimentary form. These differences in perception can form a basis for discussion.

OP here, I really agree with this too. No irony. Beneath his terrible public image (not really his fault), his music, art and visions are the GOAT

That's not what plagiarism actually means, you didn't claim it was you who made it so no need to feel guilty

lmao let's derail the thread by posting effay writers

Literature is an art.

Yeah but I think OP wanted visual artists
Also check out the backslick on Jimmy J. Definitely effay

Ivan Bilibin

Prose is baby tier literature. God tier literature is poetry. I mean look at this handsome and effay as fuck guy.

You can freely make some comments about war, death, absurdism and how Oppenheimer is jumping with his hand high up, as if he is pointing to another part of the future.

youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac
youtube.com/watch?v=1fAIYkwLjJc

Abstract art is the most effay type of art.

>poetry
kek

worst*

I love bork
>Implying you wouldn't fucc Rimbaud's boipucci

You're right. Have a Kandinsky.

i smell the purest of plebs here

youtube.com/watch?v=i7i83yoQSo0

>haha guys look i got a pencil stuck in ceiling tiles

which are you, the poetry-pleb or the abstract-normie?

most effay band

shit, that Hey Qt video totally ripped off this image

Fucking plebs.

OP a faggot paik coolest for his involvement with fluxus. besides the derailment this thread some high level psuedo intellectual cringe

like fucking kek read a book sometime

FUTURISMO

Do you have a better idea of what inspo is, zwamlul?

what do you mean? you're asking me to define inspiration? for art in general, or fashion specifically, or just living or what?

in any case, it's about process, not results or reception. you don't take a donald judd piece as inspiration, you look at everything that lead him towards that conclusion

Paik Nam June hyung is regend

Watch him roast Clinton:
youtube.com/watch?v=o19m2UjTo9A

Yes, I'm asking you to define inspiration and what it means to an individual.
Why is this post wrong?

i agree with you, but disagree with reception not being inspiration
that some elitist pseudo intelligarbo

are you saying one cannot fully appreciate without knowing the intellectual/emotional process that lead to it? garbage talk

and i thought we were talking about art

Where's Waldo
youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

This. I don't even know what the hell his paintings mean but they're interesting to look at.

Just the fact that everyone thinks "WTF" when they see his art makes them great pieces. Realism takes skill but the paintings themselves are not worth hanging on the wall.

With Where's Waldo I meant try to look for Basquiat in the music video.
Yes, they're interesting. He reminds me of cave paintings.

>Realism takes skill but the paintings themselves are not worth hanging on the wall.
You won't like, let's say, the Nightwatch or Circe Invidiosa?

my nigga anselm

Cobra

my all time fav

I didn't say it was wrong, I said it was psuedointellectual cringe. that post specifically was annoyingly smug and using pedantry to couch a very basic, conservative point ("inspiration comes from anywhere!!") as insightful. Nobody missed the point, they just choose to narrow down the threads to specific categories - art isn't a medium fyi - for the sake of organized and productive off topic discussion, rather than dumbly asking "what inspires you?"

I didn't say anything about appreciation. I said inspiration, as in, artistic inspiration. Not getting inspired to go get a coca cola from the vending machine or to make your paintings bigger, but actual references you hold in mind when developing your own art.

By reception I meant critical reception. If you're talking inspiration, an artist's place in the canon is completely unimportant in favor of their actual fucking work, yet look at the OP, who didn't even bother posting anything by Paik.

I think that Kafka was "effay."

gagosian invention

>Nobody missed the point, they just choose to narrow down the threads to specific categories for the sake of organized and productive off topic discussion, rather than asking "what inspires you?"
By making different threads, by categorizing, the relation between the art forms is disregarded.
If asking "What inspires you" isn't correct, then what question should be asked?

>art isn't a medium
It's various artforms it encompasses, for example poems, musical compositions and comics, are a medium. A book can bring a message across.

Could you please explain the idea of inspiration, a process that leads to a conclusion, with the example of a fashion designer and a consumer?

Is the canon shared by everybody?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
youtube.com/watch?v=P8Y2-j2pMVk

I'm usually no into that sort of stuff but this is really nice.

have some xenakis

youtube.com/watch?v=hVI8k42V_Dg

>then what question should be asked?
How do you define style? What informs your style?

>It's various artforms it encompasses, for example poems, musical compositions and comics, are a medium
Those are mediums, plural. They're each their own medium. Is english your second language? And nevermind, I misread the post, I thought you said 'the medium of art' or something for some reason.

>Could you please explain the idea of inspiration, a process that leads to a conclusion, with the example of a fashion designer and a consumer?
No. Inspiration isn't "a process that leads to a conclusion."

>Is the canon shared by everybody?
No. What the fuck?

>No. Inspiration isn't "a process that leads to a conclusion."

in any case, it's about process, not results or reception. You don't take a Donald Judd piece as inspiration, you look at everything that led him towards that conclusion.

It seems contradictory. Results or reception doesn't matter, but it does? Can you give an example?

[Inspo is not about reception]
[Are you saying one cannot fully appreciate (a work of art) without knowing the intellectual/emotional process that leads to it?]

>I didn't say anything about appreciation. I said inspiration, as in, artistic inspiration. Actual references you hold in mind when developing your own art. By reception I meant critical reception. If you're talking inspiration, an artist's place in the canon is completely unimportant in favor of their actual work.
Reception is a broad term. Why is the canon unimportant?

youtube.com/watch?v=E8DTnrwWnpc

youtube.com/watch?v=qm-VD68tVB4
youtube.com/watch?v=EOd1zGi1gKE
youtube.com/watch?v=FXYPP728XyU

youtube.com/watch?v=uPQD6eLw1B4
youtube.com/watch?v=gBLdrP8p_Ek

Lee Quinones: Graffiti is a art and if art is a crime, let god forgive all

Not only is the quality of Francesco Hayez's artwork impressive, but also the quality of the paints he used. Does anyone know if he made his own paints or something? I've never seen paintings with such rich colors like his before.

twombly

Fucking love Jenny Saville

Yayoi Kusama before she became old as fuck.

You're inspired by their process. That doesn't mean reception itself is the process that leads to a conclusion - assuming the conclusion is an artwork, "process leading to a conclusion" describes artmaking, not inspiration. If your work is heavily citational, than it could be argued 'inspiration' is itself your process of artmaking, but a more accurate word would be reference or citation.

>Reception is a broad term
Yes, it is. Critical reception isn't.

>Why is the canon unimportant?
Stop truncating my points, you're changing their meaning entirely.

The [artist's place in] the canon is unimportant [when talking inspiration], because it is disconnected from their process (artmaking, production, m.o. etc), and inspiration in process is the only thing that will productively inform your own artmaking.

That's not to say sensitivity to a critical reception can't be a part of the process. I posted Klein's Yves Peintures, an example that is tied essentially to its reception and context. If you're not familiar, it was a catalogue of an artist with no publicly known artwork (except the artbook itself), depicting paintings that don't exist (except as they do in the artbook itself) with a fake context of critical appreciation (except as was won with the artbook itself).
This is very different from being "inspired" by the trivia that a Kooning sold for $300 million or Hirst was the figurehead of the YBAs, or Paik was the first to prominently to incorporate video in sculpture.

youtube.com/watch?v=4w6HJDVtiJY
youtube.com/watch?v=7ZiFU_QaB9I

nice collage, saved

So if we take a man who goes through a war and experiences horror, destruction, loss and makes a poem when the war is over, the experience of war can be seen as the process and the poem as the conclusion? The experience of war is the inspiration for the reader/another artist?

uses references to get an idea across: personal imprisonment through repetition/routine. How does this apply to your definition of inspiration being about process?

>Reception is a broad term
>Yes, it is. Critical reception isn't.
Appreciation can be seen as reception. You only made this distinction after made a comment. I believe you later call it "sensitivity to a critical reception"?

>This is very different from being "inspired" by the trivia that a Kooning sold for $300 million or Hirst was the figurehead of the YBAs, or Paik was the first to prominently to incorporate video in sculpture.
So that's were the coca cola comment came from. When or where in this thread did you get this impression?

I really like Simon Stålenhags pieces, but it could be explained by me being from sweden myself and feeling nostalgic from the "million programme" architecture