Fuccdad General

Hey kids, I've been reading but not posting for a while. In my late 40s now. Still curating for small museums and art centers and living in the bit of Connecticut that is effectively New York's exurbs.

I'm in Manhattan about once a week and in the last year I did finally on two occasions encounter people wearing vaguely Rick / gothninja / etc. stuff. One was working at the MAD gift shop off Columbus Circle. The others were at a coffee shop on 39th. So for everyone who said I was wrong that this style doesn't exist in the real world, mea culpa. I've still never seen those Rick Owens giant nylon diapers outside of this board, though.

Menswear fora are still full of really cringe-inducing stuff like double monk straps and giant pleated pants. That shit doesn't magically start looking better when you get older, turns out.

Before anyone tries to use autism as an insult against me: No shit. It's a spectrum. I'm on the high functioning end of it. There are advantages. When I combine it with amphetamines you'd be astounded at how I can latch onto something I'm working on and power through it.

Some parts of my lifestyle are more Veeky Forums than others but that's the nature of life as you near 50. Remaining sort of Veeky Forums as you get older is the challenge where decades of trial and error, and the energy and enthusiasm and fresh eyes of youth, are both valuable.

Anyway I think we can learn a lot from each other so I'm here if you want to talk about whatever.

Still not giving you money to buy "sick roshes", whatever the fuck those are.

Other urls found in this thread:

velasca.com/en/category/22-men-ankle-boots
johnwhiteshoes.com/product-tag/boots/
youtube.com/watch?v=U9ITzKGTS04
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm going to kill myself when I become your age and I'm still browsing Veeky Forums.

You're TOO old for this website. Retardedly so.

if you're in your late 40s and you still subscribe to the idea of "remaining sort of Veeky Forums", that is, measuring yourself to the standards of high school children, you need to reevaluate your life

Nice to see you too, kid. Kill yourself, retarded, etc. Got it.

Not sure I agree that children own the concept of fashion or an 18+ board, but I do agree that reevaluating one's life periodically is a worthwhile exercise.

sorry nerd wont give u the secret on being baller af even as u Age horribly

The answer is always go FULL YOHJI.

I have a Y's jacket from years ago. That's about as close as I get.
The giant voluminous loose layers thing looks pretty ridiculous on older guys who aren't Japanese designers. I think it's context sensitive.

Actually that raises a good question. Rick Owens is like 10 years older than I am. Yamamoto has maybe 25 years on me. Raf is about my age. Do they all wear their own stuff? It seems like none of it is really designed for their own demographics.

Yohji's demographic I'd say is for 25+ generally. Tbh, Yohji looks great on nearly everyone as he focuses his design to more or less 'overpower" the body

rick only wears his own stuff, and yohji mostly

The interesting thing to me about him, besides the fact that his work has more in common with art than design (grand gestures over function), is how much of his core aesthetic has survived over decades of changing trends. I first discovered him in the 1980s when a British band called Ultravox was wearing him. He was doing cinched waists for men at that point in time, but otherwise that stuff doesn't look particularly dated all these years later.

There's something to be said for starting kind of outside of fashion's trends and staying there.

raf doesn't, at least not the more outrageous stuff

I feel like Rick Owens may have painted himself into a corner. Like at this point if he wore the things other 55 year olds wore it would almost look wrong on him. Is he going to be 85 walking around in the big moon boot sneakers? There's going to come a point isn't there?

he doesn't looks as other 55 year olds physically either, with his long hair, crooked smile and such.

at this point his age doesn't really matter, since everybody is used to see him wearing the same uniform every single day

That's what I love about the guy. He has carved his own little niche and continues to stay faithful to it but do crazy things whike being faithful to it.

why would he ever be compelled him to dress differently?

can you post a pic of yourself? are you into younger girls? reply, daddy

1. Sure, that sounds like a great idea.
2. At this point I'm only really interested in women around my own age. And the occasional penis. Same demographic.

Do you use amph for socializing and at what dosage? I'm thinking 5mg every 4-6 hours. As a high functioning autist it's the last thing I can think of to get laid. Haven't tried amph yet but the substitute version completely eliminated my social awkwardness.

I use it because my sleep is sometimes all screwed up and I need to be able to function on those days - if I have a lot of work to do or a press event or something I'll take 10 or maybe 20mg. The low dose you're considering seems pretty safe and worth a try. Its impact on my own ability to socialize is kind of unpredictable; sometimes it makes me cheery and talkative and other times I'm irritable and even more likely than usual to be annoyed by stupid interruptions.

I was lucky to get therapy in college and now I have decades of practice, so I'm not really socially awkward anymore. I look people straight in the eye, I listen pretty well, etc. The only real spectrum-related problem I still have is sometimes I read people's emotions and reactions completely wrong. I don't know if I'll ever beat that or if I'll just reach an age where everyone has run out of fucks to give.

try again in english?

What kind of therapy did you do?

I've gone to therapy too -- that's how I got diagnosed. But for the most part they didn't do much to help me improve. They just recommended some books.

The last time I went to a counselor (for something unrelated to ASD) he told me my voice was fine, not particularly expressive but not abnormal. I've been doing improv theater stuff too, which helps a lot.

This was 25-30 years ago. Probably all obsolete now. There was a behaviorist, I'd sit and do conversational scenarios with her and sometimes with other aspies.

Have you tried MDMA? I'm not an autist but I suffer from pretty bad social anxiety, and it works pretty well for me. It's much "safer" for occasional use than amphetamines, too.

Man, I know all about that sleep schedule thing. My body just wants to be nocturnal for some damn reason, and even if I get up at 7AM every day for a month I'll eventually be staying up until 5 or 6 and I'll crash.

What do you do, by the way? I noticed the mention of press events, you in PR or a journo?

>50 year old granddad autist tries to give fashion advice to teenager who get bullied in school because of how they dress

What's the purpose of this thread? A chat? /soc/ type?

Man you can only be Veeky Forums when your over 35 if you actually look good, still have good body proportions and if you buy well fitting clothes.

Besides that, don't go into avegaunt street culture or sneakers. Stick with casual/formal basics, no visual brands.

>What do you do, by the way?

I curate and design exhibitions for a few small museums, art centers and a couple of galleries. Occasionally an art collector asks me to consult on developing their collection, which boils down to "should I buy this?"

It's interesting work, which is good because there's no getting rich doing it.

So we gonna see some pics or you gonna keep beating the bush?

I never got into the habit of taking pictures of myself. Pictures are taken of me when I'm at events, but I'm always wearing a suit and I don't think you'd find them that interesting.

As evidence of why I don't take self pictures, here's basic bitch mode making a coffee and sandwich run this morning. Uniqlo, Mango, Bills Khakis.

>Have you tried MDMA?

Yeah, but I don't think it's safer at all. It's neurotoxic, it has a significant comedown, and it shares a cross tolerance with other stims which are more useful because you can take them more often than once ever 1-3 months like mdma. I agree that MDMA is great for therapeutic / music / empathy purposes, and it can change your perspective on social interaction.

The kind of people that got diagnosed has probably changed a lot too. The aspies at the group counseling were intolerable. Some kind of bitched the whole time about how social groups are exclusive and mean, which I thought was hypocritical. "normies are assholes" etc. The others wanted to talk about THEIR specific problems as if anyone else gave a shit. one guy brought up bad voice dubbing in yugioh, no joke. I wish I could tell them, play a sport and smoke weed and most of your problems will disappear once you can empathize.

You may not like it but it says a lot about you. Like you went with a 50/50 split of actually showing what you're wearing and doing the angle / lighting sorcery to actually make it look 'good'. The problem with having a trip and drawing attention to yourself is that you don't have the confidence to do what you could have otherwise done easily. I like that you put effort into your posts but it's important to actually have the balls to post yourself for the sake of the board. I do like the fit, especially the top layering. though can't see how the pants fit of course.

I used to believe really strongly that everyone who posts on Veeky Forums should post their fits regularly in WAYWT or they should not be posting here at all. it demonstrates a commitment to improve and really forces you to be more conscious of how the whole fit looks, vs posting pics of one item and asking "should I cop?" And no matter how bad the fits are it means a thicker skin and more confidence. Ideally we'd have one beginner WAYWT for people learning the basics like color coordination, silhouette. And full body photos with good lighting would be required.

>beginner WAYWT
this is a good idea

could you please elaborate more on the double monks?

>doing the angle / lighting sorcery
You mean trying to fit my basic weekend fit into the square screen on my Blackberry. There's no sorcery about it. If you're an experienced selfie taker and poster that's great, but it doesn't denote you have confidence or balls -- it just means you've taken a lot of pictures of yourself and in posting them are looking for advice or validation.

There are a lot of uses for Veeky Forums other than looking for help with your fit (although that's certainly a valid one).

They are sort of the primary symbol of the "dressed by the Internet" echo chamber that #menswear has become.

yeah, but they got that position for a reason.

>what is a camera

if you're so smart why can't you into technology, grand-dad?

Well, yes, but the reason may be the human tendency to ape the behavior of others. Fashion is inherently contradictory, right? I mean, most things Veeky Forums exist at some point in some sort of major or minor trend, but when they become a cliche and/or a uniform we view them differently.

I kind of hope everyone who discovers /r/mfa or whatever doesn't go out and proudly buy their first pair of monk straps and take a picture of themselves wearing them, but they probably do.

>The only real spectrum-related problem I still have is sometimes I read people's emotions and reactions completely wrong. I don't know if I'll ever beat that or if I'll just reach an age where everyone has run out of fucks to give.

I'm not an autist but this happens to me too and I'm 30.
I also have a lot of trouble trying to live a normal adult lifestyle. Plz help fuccdad give me some general life advice. I look young, my friends are early 20s (a lot of them don't know my age) and I still hang out at places for their age group. I know my lifestyle can't be permanent but idk how to be an adult. I thought I'd have killed myself by 30 because I honestly don't want to know anything else in life other than being young.

This thread is depressing.

I'm gonna get my dick sucked today an not lay in bed. Or at least try so I can never be as depressing as OP

>"at least try"
>might fail to get dik sucked
that is depressing

Surely you must have some interests for which there are adult equivalents, right?
Have you reached the point where Monica Bellucci is more interesting than Ariana Grande?

t b h, no.
am i fucked?

Of course not. I have a friend who is about my age who right now is at a "Warhammer 40K" event with other grown men pretending that painted plastic models of monsters and soldiers and shit are fighting each other. He is a successful entrepreneur with a smoking hot wife and two smart kids.

But besides obvious exceptions like that, most interests can be cultivated into adult activities that will open new social opportunities. Even if your interests are drinking, movies, music, etc.

AIN'T NO PUSSY ON A PEDESTAL

>looking for advice or validation
>looking for help with your fit

After you learn the fundamentals there's no right or wrong anymore, so it's not like that. You post fits because this is a board about fashion, not because you need validation. If anything you're the one seeking validation by starting the thread.

Ultimately nobody;s going to care how much you think you know about fashion until you've created something yourself and posted it. If you want your image to be determined just by how good you are at writing, then go to Veeky Forums instead.

You should drop your trip and post in WAYWT like a regular fucking human being. You like to make fun of streetwear? You don't like nerds? Find some way to tell us that through your clothes, then you'll be worth something.

This guy knows what's up:

post shoe collection

Most of them are in dust bags inside boxes or drawers, but here's the casual boot shelf. From closest to farthest: Grenson, 2 pairs of Brooks Brothers field boots, some off-brand boot I found on Yoox, and Ferragamo in back. Today I'm hiding in my office so it's bit loafers that are borderline slippers.

I wish Clarks made a desert boot that didn't have such a rounded toe. BB's are nice and a lot more sleek but they also cost about 3 times as much for no observable increase in quality. Actually I could use desert boot / chukka recommendations in general.

Nice boots, even though the Brooks there are not my cup of tea.
Those are your casual boots. How many formal boots do you have?
So you want a chukka boot without such a high heel? The ones that I have seen kind of like that for that price are here:
velasca.com/en/category/22-men-ankle-boots
and from John White:
johnwhiteshoes.com/product-tag/boots/

Thanks for the heads-up, I like both of the brands you mentioned and they are both new to me. Nice shape and I much prefer the treaded rubber soles over the crepe sole on BB and Clarks.

I don't know that I have any boots I'd call formal but I do have three pairs that I consider dressy enough to wear with suits. One is a polished black version of the brown chelsea boots in the picture above, and then I have brown brogued boots and black captoes, both from To Boot NY (thanks, Nordstrom men's sale...) Both with a lot of eyelets that I'm normally too lazy to lace up.

mostly a lurker here, bumping for beginner WAWT idea

i'm pretty sure you can just start a thread and you don't need a quorum or anything

>cringe-inducing stuff like double monk straps
Now we are enemies.

go back to the classic menswesr section of sf and talk about lapel widths you mong

If I see you on the street with one buckle undone I will choke you with your own cravat.

because they are super ugly.

wait we don't like monk straps?

oh meeeeen

trips have spoken & checked

is that pic you? because that pant/shoe interaction is terrible. the pants are the weakest point.

At 40 I think people will assume you're gay if you dress to well.

That's always my interpretation especially if you're single

On a positive note, California primary ballots are in fill them out and send them in.

This is how to correctly fill it out, locate trump fill in arrow

Double monk straps are just the dressier versions of those Velcro sneakers the government supplies to retards

of course we do, only OP doesn't like them. Even though I agree with the urge to kick someone if they were them with a cravat.

Oxford shoes are the dressier version of what retard caveman use to wrap their feet.
Suits are the dressier version of what mongo nuns use to cover their lard bodies.
Can you see a pattern here?

See, now this just makes me sad. It was bad enough when the balding fop hivemind were all required to wear "dub monks". Now you're telling me young people are buying them too? Don't adopt dandy affectations. This is a slippery slope that leads to bowties and those socks with the little belts. Go get some sneakers or something FFS.

what's young to you?

Good question. I guess in this context, maybe 25 or under.
How old are you, and what do you consider old?

32yo.
Old is looking old. I can't put a number to that. Jeremy Irons is 67 and I wouldn't say he looks old.
youtube.com/watch?v=U9ITzKGTS04