How do you finally bite the bullet and spend big on suits?

How do you finally bite the bullet and spend big on suits?

The fact of spending $5k or whatever I can live with knowing that I'll be wearing some nice stuff. I can't stand the fact that my body will change with going to the gym and my suit will no longer be tailor fit.

don't get a suit until you get to a point where your body won't fluctuate in size so much

When I was a teen I thought I'd reach that point by 20. By 20 I thought 21. So on and so forth. I'm 25. When can I just purchase some fucking suits?

you're probably already at that point
don't lift weights for a week, that'll probably be a good resting size for your body, get measured then

Why the hell would you ever spend that much on a suit?

Life is dirty, messy, and imperfect. Your body will change, your environment will be out of your control, and you will not be able to stay primped constantly. Blowing the price of a used car on a suit is simply stupid - part of looking good in a suit is having a sort of casual disdain for it and not having to be worried that an errant drop of wine is going to ruin your overpriced fabric.

Yes, I know suits that expensive are extremely nice, and I'd like to have one as well. But the simple reality is that relatively cheaper suits are much, much more reasonable, if only because you can throw them away if they get nasty.

I make $30,000 a month, so don't mind spending on quality (should save for investments). I haven't been earning this well for long, but feel I will continue to have the drive if I have a nice suit.

then you should have no qualms about spending 5k on a suit that might not fit when your body changes

fucking stupid ass thread lmao

If you're making that sort of money, you should be spending it more substance and less ephemera. I get the point of feeling good in a nice suit, but the opportunity cost vs other expenses isn't worth it.

Do what I do: pursue advanced degrees, pay for cool experiences, and generally just leverage money into less silly things.

Because wasting money is wasting money. I don't spend $1 when I don't have to. Grew up poor, will live like I'm poor.

then spend 1k on a suit with less luxurious fabrics you'd have no problem discarding when it doesn't fit

idk what to tell you man, you hold conflicting ideologies

Why are you worried about 5k if you earn that much a month? What else do you spend on that would prohibit you?

I already have 1k suits. I want to purchase either: Tom Ford or a bespoke tailored.

Only just started earning lots. Have investments to make. Money might stop flowing if something happened to the economy etc

>Grew up poor, will live like I'm poor.
I really hope you don't think that's something to be proud of. If you're in a sphere where people wear suits, then looking good in a suit is important and the amount of money this would take is not a big deal compared to your income. Sure, don't waste money on tacky shit, but this is different.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up. You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your trpicode if it isn't necessary to the conversation. It's poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post you're making. If you are not keen on making this change, you are free to explore other websites more suitable to your taste. Reddit.com and 9gag are two great places for you to start.

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

v typical new money

You make 30k/month and you don't have a suit? Also, having a 5k suit would grant you the drive to keep going?

What the fuck am I reading?

an idiot trying to show off his salary

Get a 500$ suit and bring it to a tailor then, no one can tell the quality of the fabric unless it's super cheap anyway and the fit makes 90% of the look.

He's probably a gigolo or something anyway, if he's not outright lying that is.

how new are you?

>30k /month

>asks the Veeky Forums fashion board for suit advice

shiggy

>how new r u? only le oldfags use trips xD they're so kwl dont question them
Whatever you say, little guy.

Who should I ask?
I've asked the people at Zegna and they just want to make a sale.
I do not have a personal tailor. I have had the in-house tailor alter suits I have purchased in the past.
I wouldn't even know how to choose a tailor.

That's why bespoke suits are such a status symbol. Not only are they expensive up-front, but you have to spend time and probably money figuring out what tailor and what designs work for you.

Just go shopping for tailors. Ask to see their previous work and talk about what you want with a few before you go for it.

go to asia and get one a good suit tailor made cheap

Coming from Patrick Bateman??

MFA is much more knowledgeable on these issues than Veeky Forums

op just took a really roundabout route to tell us how much he earns

When someone says it's too much how else can I say that the price is not too much? Then people focused on it.

I am happy with this reply though. I've never thought of tailors and bespoke suits in this way.

>I want to purchase either: Tom Ford or a bespoke tailored.
Go bespoke. If you make 30k a month, decide whether you like Italian or English talioring better, then fly to Naples or London respectively and make a weekend of it. In London, Henry Poole is basically the only place to go. I wouldn't know who are the best Italians because I'm an English-style guy myself. Express your concerns about gym and fit; the tailor will probably offer to put in extra fabric to allow the suit to be let out.

Don't worry about fucking it up with spills and such, a suit from a top-notch tailor's virtually guaranteed to be made from superior cloth and thus hard-wearing, and a competent dry-cleaner can fix most stain problems. People routinely inherit their father's tailored suits, they last longer than people in many cases. I myself have a set of shooting tweeds from the '50s that look brand new, except one of the shooting pockets has a persistent stain at the bottom from where my grandfather crammed a whole partridge or some such bird he'd just shot in it once. Don't know why it won't wash out, blood normally will just fine, but the point is the cloth looks practically unworn.

From experience I get bored with my suits by the time I'm not fitting them then i tailor them further if I need extra life from them. Just don't fall for a meme super skinny cut suit, get it made to measure or bespoke and start building a core of navy, blue, charcoal, grey and extend in to neutrals and black and dinner wear. If you're looking at expensive suits then you shouldn't worry about replacing them. I started in 2009 and have had about 20 suits in that time, I only wear 5 and tend to wear other casual jackets and trousers more so than suits but I got sick of them so my dad has a fuckin sick suiting wardrobe full of cashmere and mohair and merino that's a little out of date

>If you're looking at expensive suits then you shouldn't worry about replacing them. I started in 2009 and have had about 20 suits in that time
Are you saying I should just face the fact that I have to spend $100k on suits over 7 years, or that if I buy expensive I won't need the 20 suits?

Mother fucker I only make bout 10K a year and even I have a suit.

Do it.

I live in Sydney and make just over $260k/y (AUD).
For me my suits are the most important possessions I own save for perhaps my house. I travel to London yearly to visit my family and try to pick up a suit each time. Someone mentioned Henry Poole which is a good choice but I prefer Henry Percival as the fitters there actually listen to what you want.

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING

Seb?

Mclellan?

considering having multiple suits if you're really making 30k a month user
i have a special bespoke suit for really special occassional,for mine it's a black peaked lapel,wool blend also with a waistcoat
3 more higher end suit,2 is Tom Ford and one is Brioni
and half a dozen normal occassion suit
those can be Ermenegildo Zegna,Hugo Boss,Paul Smith etc the ones where you go to office with
of course i only got those perks for working at specialty textile supplier,they even gave me a bespoke cashmere shawl cardigan,too bad i quit it

i have a $3,700 suit i got on ebay for $92 second hand in perfect condition
its nice

He's saying that if you buy expensive they will last forever.

How the shit do you even make 30k/yr again? You sound retarded and lack reading comprehension.

Then what I the problem? You could buy five 5k suits a month and still make much more than an average person. What the fuck are you even doing on the site if you make that much money?

Except he then goes on to say he gave his father mohair and cashmere. Could be sick of them because they started looking bad.
You don't get those materials from the $2 rack

Nice cops. I will get multiple suits. Already got multiple, but they are lesser suits than the ones I want to get.

>Could be sick of them because they started looking bad.
But that's not what he said, he said he got bored of the style just from having the same thing for too long. That user's a mayfly type and can afford to indulge; he gave the suits to his dad because they're still in rad condition and now his dad has a rad wardrobe. That's all. They won't fuckin' break; on the contrary, a fully canvassed suit only gets better as you wear it.