What does Veeky Forums think of Roman revivalism on a much larger scale similar to the rise of German nationalism in...

What does Veeky Forums think of Roman revivalism on a much larger scale similar to the rise of German nationalism in the 30s. Are the Italian people willing to stand up to the plate and reforge their empire?

I'm still amazed how this clusterfuck managed to stay a single country for so long.

You mean like exactly what Mussolini did?

Yeah, nah. Fuck that.

It's a shame a pan-North African Latin colonial identity didn't catch on. Letting the Italians keep Libya and Tunisia, French Algeria, Spanish Morocco, and working together to keep the Mediterranean coast and assimilate the colonies

Yes OP

Yes

Everyone between England and Iraq could and would certainly be one country

Its been 2,000 years since rome proper, yet only 60 years since the last idiotic reincarnations

>Are the Italian people willing to stand up to the plate and reforge their empire?

I didn't even want to get up from bed this morning

>Are the Italian people willing to stand up to the plate and reforge their empire?
Italy was all over "Roman revivalism" before Hitler even became Chancellor. It led to a few embarrassing failed wars in North Africa and Greece before being violently put down by America, Britain, and Brazil. That last part isn't a joke.

It's a miracle that Italy didnt Split after WW2 ,Sicily wanted independence and asked to join USA (LOL) ,people from Campania(Naples) don't feel themselves Italians at all .
I live in north of Italy and when somebody from the south start talking in his own dialect ,I'm done ,I understand a fucking nothing ,in the south everybody talks using dialect, everybody,
in the north is slowing disappearing .

Oh god, imagine the geopolitical anal anguish of Sicily became an integral part of the US

This. Italians often have a stronger connection to their town/city than to the country as a whole. Also the language like you said contributes to different parts of the country having different identities.

Why such anguish lol

I just dont understand why a country that has a history of such powerful individual fighters and combatants was never able to become a great military power again. Italians obviously have a great fighting spirit. Just why could that never translate into military power?

>It's a miracle that Italy didnt Split after WW2
Italians like to exaggerate their differences because it allows them to blame the rest of the country for all their problems, conveniently ignoring their own faults.
>I live in north of Italy and when somebody from the south start talking in his own dialect ,I'm done
It is disappearing everywhere, albeit in south italy more slowly than in north italy. Also it depends where you live. There are plenty of places in North Italy where they speak dialect at home.
Neapolitan is not a dialect btw, it is a language

>Italians like to exaggerate their differences because it allows them to blame the rest of the country for all their problems, conveniently ignoring their own faults.
...Then you realize that most problems in the north could be solved with more money and you remember that the northern regions are forced to give billions to the southern ones.

When you think about it tho, Italy and italian states have always hit well above their weight. Preunitarian states routinely warred with legit empires, world wars Italy had an economy comparable with Netherlands yet everyone expected it to compete with the superpowers, Rome needs no explanation, etc.

>Roman revivalism on a much larger scale similar to the rise of German nationalism in the 30s
Today? With the EU, Italy's economy, etc.?

How is that even supposed to be possible?

Taking care of this country is hard enough.

>Taking care of this country is hard enough.

Be honest. We both know you don't try very hard.

>We both know you don't try very hard.
Well you say that, but corruption aside we're a pretty damn good country you know. We only have one "natural resource" to speak of yet we're a top world economy, and long as you're employed life here is as good as anywhere in Europe (well maybe the scandis are better. I can only talk of France, Germany and UK really).

yea. I hate the cliche that Italians are cowards and arent great fighters. Comparatively for what they were dealing with and what they had, they probably are some of the toughest that ever were. What are some instances of the preunitarian states taking on empires?

For example, the 5 Days of Milan.

REMOVE AUSTRIA in general.

is the notion that Italians are bad at war a 20th century creation? What exactly were the perceptions of the city states and the different peoples of the peninsula in war pre unification?

>Roman revivalism

OP, that's for ROME and the ROMANS to decide. You see, the Roman empire was literally created by ROME. I capitalized ROME to emphasize it was ROME. Not Constantinople, not Italy, only ROME.