Japanese Designer General /JDG/

/JDG/ is a place to discuss general Japanese designer fashion from designers such as Yohji Yamamoto, Rei Kawakubo and Junya Watanabe (Comme des Garcons), Issey Miyake, Takahiro Miyashita (TheSoloist and Number (N)ine), Tatsuro Horikawa (Julius), Jun Takahashi (Undercover), and such. Note that we do not allow discussion of Y3 and CdG Play.

===========================================================
GENERAL DESIGNER INFO:

>How do Japanese designers size?
For pants, japanese designers generally have a size range. It's size 28-30 for S, 30-32 for M, and 32-34 for L. XL and XS sizes are harder to come by.

For tops, its 1 for XS, 2 for S, 3 for M, 4 for L, and 5 for XL.

As always when buying online, ask the seller for measurements and

>Where can I buy these?
Generally, its recommended to buy items directly from Japan via a proxy as they are much cheaper there (excluding shipping fees) and release exclusive stuff there. Yahoo JP and Rakuten are used for this.

SPECIFIC DESIGNER INFO:

COMME DES GARCONS
>What are the lines of CDG?
CDG has two main lines - the ones designed by Rei and the ones by Junya. Wikipedia has a good reference for each lines: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comme_des_Garçons#Comme_des_Gar.C3.A7ons_lines

An important note is that for Junya, if it doesn't say Junya Watanabe MAN, it's for women.

>How does CDG size?
CDG mainline stuff generally skews oversized but it is not typically oversized. As with any brand, ask the seller for measurements.

YOHJI YAMAMOTO INFO:
See the Yohji Yamamoto write up on StyleForum: styleforum.net/t/280641/yohji-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-looser-fit-yohji-yamamoto-thread

Other urls found in this thread:

page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u105875833
page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k179966643
page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s489569537
page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k207444520
page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d190191431
page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c555554879
page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g173225691
page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x437277023
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/217315879
page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w120579226
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what's everyone's favourite CDG frag? I'm on my third bottle of Standard

Can anyone point me to which season of CDG menswear did the combat boots with loose tops thing most prominently, there's a picture that goes around here of a guy in loose maroon shirt and dark coloured pants wearing combat boots I really like the look.

user just include the general overview and a pastebin link.

I'm thinking of copping Odeur 53/71 but I just finished my samples of Kyoto and Wonderwood for last fall.

interested in this

Reposting this from the other thread but does anyone know w2c a bag like this? Its like a really large black tote bag

Is that CDG? Everything bar the boots doesn't look like CDG

>How does CDG size?
>CDG mainline stuff generally skews oversized but it is not typically oversized. As with any brand, ask the seller for measurements.

This is not true, hopelessly misinformed, and missing a lot of detail for a brand that has over three decades of work readily available on the 2nd hand market

homme and homme plus used to fit larger than marked in the 80s and 90s. homme plus has always been the slimmer cut of the two even during the early 90s when everything was boxy as hell with stupid shoulder pads on the coats and shit like that. gradually as the cuts became more modern the sizing became more tts as well basically you can expect a post 2000 blazer or coat to fit true to size with very few exceptions, coats in the 90s esp. the wool mac coats tend to fit almost a full size i.e. a medium can accommodate a large quite easily

Junya has always been tts, honestly one of the most consistent designers in terms of fit not a lot of variance from season to season unless it's intentional (fw2003 featured knit pants with massive waist sizes)

Pants change season to season with the themes and styles utilized, there are lots of what many of us would call regular wool dress pants from comme in a range of cuts but honestly sizing doesn't seem to make any sense season to season. I'm normally a 29-30 and i've worn Comme pants from XS-M depending on the season. This doesn't even include the unorthodox styles from drop crotches to hakamas all with varying ways to be worn.
When buying pants from CDG understanding the cut of the pant as well as getting accurate measurements is a must otherwise you're going to be disapointed

I can't speak to any of the other subline under comme as i haven't handled an adequate amount of it to comment on it
I'm not claiming to be an expert but i have handled a fair bit of cdg womens and mens from ss16 all the back to the mid 80s at least so i am fairly confident in how their clothes fit

florential is lovely and my go to scent at the moment

kyoto is good but not my taste
i also really liked avignon

wonderwood and wonderoud are also heavily recommended

autism

added very little in your lil essay here lmao

please see the sentence marked
>as with any brand ask the seller for measurements
this is a sticky and by no means a comprehensive guide. stop trying to show off

sometimes you gotta sperg out
better to do it on an user messgae board than real life or in a situation where it has consequences you know?

as someone trying to look more into higher japanese fashion (above the streetwear bs), what should I be looking at or "studying" to get more into it?

but thats not true sperg its a paragraph saying that newer pieces can fit more tts and that in the end check measurements like op said

literally meaningless essay to try and seem knowledgable without saying anything of importance

this. its literally common knowledge.

>older pieces fit larger for rei cdg
yeah no shit everything fitted larger before

>a line which focuses on casual wear has slimmer cuts than a line that focuses on suiting
no shit

>junya fits tts
yeah because he isn't interested in fit compared to the materials and processes in clothing

>in a brand which focuses on cut, cut is important
sheesh

>cuts vary from season to season as the weather requires different cuts to be used season to season
you should've added that water is wet in case we didn't know

what's worse is that you bash the sticky for missing details about the brand when a) it is supposed to be a general guide and b) you don't even say anything remotely valuable and hide under the pretense of doing so. on a japanese anime imageboard of all places

i'm partial to their collabs with monocle

Anyone in Europe ordering from Japanese Auction websites? I really want some Ganryu but how badly will I get fucked by customs and how to avoid/minimise them? I would particularly appreciate any advice from britfags.

Also why are the best CdG lines not available outside of Japan? Dover Street Market is whack for anything outside of the Play and Homme Plus lines.

is Kazuyuki Kumagai /jdg/

sure. we primarily don't allow streetwear stuff like play and cav empt. do you have any item(s) from them? i'm thinking of copping some shoes or a shirt

I just browse auctions and online shops. In auctions especially a lot of items get labelled incorrectly in terms of designer (e.g. Ts(s) sometimes gets clumped with EG and needles) so thats kinda where i start exploring and looking up lookbooks. Also wear.jp

Homme deux is the suiting line homme plus has everything no?

Ganryu and homme are available at haven in Canada, ganryu is also carried at union los Angeles I'm sure theres more retailers carrying it you just gotta find em

>tfw your fits will never be as voluminous as this

I sort of want to buy this but I'm scared it looks too tumblrcore (in that it uses a rough sketch pattern that reminds me of biological sketches) or that I can't pull it off, being white (and not asian). I would wear it as a top layer.

i dont like the brown stuff in the collars imho. i'd imagine that it would look good under a leather jacket

Oh, I quite like the brown trimming, but I dont know about the pattern on the collar, feels like it should just be plain. I dont really own a leather jacket, and I dont really like them either so it's sort of a no-go for me if that would be the 'best' way to wear it.

i dont get the sleeves tho. i feel that if you want to pull this off either layer it under a casual suit (maybe brown) or do pattern overload from jacket to trousers to shoes but with different shades of patterns like pic related

Ah.. I don't have a casual suit jacket. I guess I could try and find one online but Im not sure how good it would be. Im not too sure about the sleeves either, almost looks like theyre made to be rolled up or something.

page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u105875833

someone cop this before i sink myself further in debt. the shirt has a cut in it which exposes skin

also posting more dope shit i found on yahoo jp: (all yohji)
page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k179966643 (wide hem shorts)

page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s489569537 (full a.a.r. wool gab suit)

page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k207444520 (suit jacket with a crazy awesome boxy silhouette)

page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d190191431 (yohji x paraboot ankle boots)

page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c555554879 (hella rare ss13 pants pic related)

page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g173225691 (big collar shirt)

page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x437277023 (costume d'homme moss green shirt)

page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/217315879 (white lace ups)

bonus:
page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w120579226 (issey miyake clown shirt)

all are hella cheap (less than $200)

i love you

dont buy ganryu from y!jp or overseas retailers. buy directly from japanese retailers online. Ganryu and Homme line are the few lines that are authorized to sell online. Plenty of websites that sell Ganryu

>page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g173225691 (big collar shirt)
might have to cop this one for $115 even though I dont own anything from Y's and I've heard it isnt usually as good

thanks for the shouts, based user!

Styleforum's how you dress in Engineered Garments have some decent inspo

i suggest not posting hordes of yjp links since its spoonfeeding the lazy

drop trip

wtf how is this a bad thing to you.

>spoonfeeding the lazy
it's not spoonfeeding, it's sharing with friends

you sound like you should try and have a more positive outlook on things, you will always get better results from spending hours on y!jp than being spoonfed anyway

lololol friends

I consider my pals on Veeky Forums to be my friends, yes :^)

why would I spend time over here otherwise?

I haven't bid on any of those but i would assume whoever might wouldn't be too keen on you sharing the links around.
It also takes out all the effort of finding items which is probably why he said spoon feeding the lazy, desu it does kind of cater to the lowest common denominator.
Thats just my take on it though.

I'm , and I personally spend a decent amount of time on y!jp. A lot of the time, I find really cool things that aren't my style/dont fit me, so I just give a use to what would have otherwise been wasted effort by sharing them.

You're right in that bidders wouldn't appreciate it, but the seller would, and it means that the item is more likely to go to somebody who genuinely wants and is willing to pay a fair price for it, instead of some lowballing reseller

just my opinion

just a heads up just cause you make a "general" doesn't mean anyone is gonna give a shit
the point of generals is to concentrate ACTIVE discussion to single thread instead of people making constantly new threads about same shit
there is very little general discussion about japanese designers on this board so this thread is just silly as shit

>there is very little general discussion about japanese designers on this board so this thread is just silly as shit
that's not the point. It gathers the people who want to talk about the topic and gives them a place to do so, instead of trying to incite conversation with a bunch of people who dont care elsewhere on the board.

Plenty of people care about jp fashion on here anyway, and slow generals are comfy

the point of generals is to concentrate otherwise spread and plenty discussion to a single place
it's dumb as fuck to try and force discussion by naming your thread general for no fucking reason
but then when the thread dies with 30 posters and 70 something posts you probably realize it yourself
it's like those occasional SLP """generals""" where some faggots just dumps pics and there is 5 posts in the thread
not trying to be a dick or anything I'm just saying there is no discussion to be had on Veeky Forums about this

except the last thread died at 250 posts with like at least 60 posters though

this thread would be dead if ppl didn't care about weeb fashion : )

I just think there's more to talk about in regards to jp designers in general than there is a single designer like slp. Much broader topic. Last thread hit bump limit I believe, and I never felt like we were forcing discussion on that one.

that said I agree that there are plenty of stupid generals, just look at

all of them are interesting items but either isn't my particular cup of tea or isn't my size. sellers want to sell and buyers want to buy.

there's also nearly zero effort in finding these items. it's just going to yahoo jp and clicking next a bunch of times when you have time to kill and i had some time to kill. there's was literally zero bidders for most of these and they just end up being put back up online after it ends. i know this as i've placed most of these items in my watchlist for weeks

>muh exclusive yohji club
also drop trip

y's isn't a considerable drop in quality user. it's still great for the price

damn nigga i need that bag. w2c?

so beautiful, i saw this in the flesh when i popped into the yohji store in mayfair the other month, i was blown away

Can I post Chinese inspo?

why isn't play allowed? rei still decides where the heart is sewed on and what color it is

Because its streetwear drivel and we don't want fuccbois here. Look at /rog/ which is filled with faggots asking about geobaskets when it once was actually a place to appreciate Rick.

want these Issey trousers hard but guy's charging $260 for them

forgot pic

>high waist
>cropped
always hated this look desu

well he's 6'1 and I'm 5'6 so it'll be longer on me and I'll still be able to wear the waist stupidly high

alcatraz-core desu. get issey's pleated pants if you wanna go issey

CDG 2 is goat
On my 2nd bottle rn

Have you tried 2 and 2 Man? What's the difference?