Since neither of these two civilisations get their fair discussion, let's talk about the Mycenaeans and the Minoans...

Since neither of these two civilisations get their fair discussion, let's talk about the Mycenaeans and the Minoans. Military, architecture, art, religion, anything.

i dig Minoan modernism

BASED

Mycenean walls of Tyrins

I wonder what cause the dark age collapse. A violent sudden decline of all civilization.

>bronze age collapse

>Dark age collapse
>People lose the knowledge on how to build mudhuts

Some major cataclismic event, such as series of volcanic eruptions, that led to crop failure, that led to mass migrations of entire populations, that led to war, that led to whole civilizations collapsing.

Ciclopean walls in Mycenae

>dark age collapse
>the technology of digging holes to shit in was lost until mid 15th century

What do you guys think caused the collapse of the Minoans?
I personally think it was the volcanic eruption, though I have read that an invading force may have also been responsible.

They were essentially Egyptian knock off civilizations. True or False Veeky Forums?

Isn't everything essentially a Sumer knock off Civilization?

>What do you guys think caused the collapse of the Minoans?

It's pretty much accepted by all academicians that the Myceneans attacked them and conquered the island

>They were essentially Egyptian knock off civilizations. True or False Veeky Forums?

Absolutely false, the Myceneans were basically tribal, there wasn't a central state, each citadel had its own ruler (Wanax).

Artistically wise the Myceneans didn't even make statues unlike the Egyptians, the Mycenean tholoi tombs have nothing to do with Egypt either.

For one thing, we are not entirely sure about the authenticity of the death mask from Mycenae in OP, the so-called mask of Agammenmon.

The 19thC excavator, Heirich Schliemann, was a man with a fraudulent reputation, and a savage excavator. Indeed it is possible that the mask is genuine, but reshaped by Schliemann to fit his imagination. Regardless, he brutalised the site of Troy.

>It's pretty much accepted by all academicians that the Myceneans attacked them and conquered the island
I wonder how they pulled this off. Didn't the minoans have a powerful navy for the time?

I guess, they did have some advanced sailing techniques but they weren't military like, their settlements weren't even walled nor did they built any fortifications as far as I know.

I'll be following with interest. Personally, any Mycenean art to fill out a folder would be welcome, as well as maps.

Mandatory Minoan boobies incoming.

Red-pill me on these Minoan cultural features:

Double axe
Snake handling
Bull jumping
Absence of gods in their art
Is it true Crete was matriarchical and ruled by women and their beta orbiters?

>Absence of gods in their art

They weren't prominent but we have depictions of the snake Goddes in statuettes, although the paintings didn't depict Gods but nature, in a few cases mythical creatures too like the gryphon.

Oh that's a goddess? I thought it was a priestess.

This guy gets it

the labrys is a meme, it actually functioned as a ritual calendar
pic related

I think there was a volcano that erupted in the Aegean somewhere

Effected the climate and lead to a decrease in crops

More hungry people went around to get food, fucking everything up

Why Cretan men looked so gay? kek

Santorini

As a girl, I find them handsome looking though user.

tits or gtfo

As you wish sir.