Advices on watch

Hello Veeky Forums

I'm looking for advice on buying a watch.
I apologize if there is a general watch thread that I missed.

I currently own a submariner "homage"... picture related, it's mine.

I didn't know anything about watches back when I bought it 3-4 years ago and I thought the design was awesome.
I still love the design, but the watch is running slow (about 4-5 minutes off per week) and I now know it's basically just an imitation, so it feels weird to wear it. Plus, people came to me asking advice on Rolex because of it and it was pretty fucking embarrassing.

That's why I'm seriously considering buying a real watch.
Of course I like the black submariner design, if I could have it with a navy bezel, that would be awesome but the current blue model from Rolex looks a bit too light to me and it only comes with gold bracelet which makes it a bit off my budget as well (which would be around 5k$).

Also, if I buy a Rolex for example, can I be safe and don't worry about it running off every 3 years or so?

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l9jxWYRSSXM
aliexpress.com/item/Sweden-armbandsur-Design-Nylon-Watchband-Casual-Watch-Thin-Case-Quartz-Japan-Movement-Free-Shipping/1996167798.html
youtu.be/_cstYM0s_mE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Audemars or don't even bother.

>Also, if I buy a Rolex for example, can I be safe and don't worry about it running off every 3 years or so?
If you buy a Rolex it will keep for your entire life and then some.

I currently wear a 116034 that I have had for about three years. It has not failed me once.

It's also a classic watch in a classic size (36mm). It will never go out of style.

You talk about a "blue model," but if you bought a used Submariner or something and put a new bezel in it, that could happen I guess, but be aware - the purists may look down on you for it.

There is no other watch as robust and reliable and with such durability as a Rolex.

If you buy an Audemars like this guy suggests, be aware that an AP is more delicate and also costs more across the board (watches cost more, and servicing is much more expensive as well). However, the quality of the moment and finishing is second to none. They are another level above Rolex and roam with the likes of Patek and Vacheron.

If you were to get a starter AP, I would recommend the 15450, 15202, or 15400 if you like a larger watch (some people do not like this because they think it is not true to the original design because it uses the 3120 movement which some think is too small for the case).

If you want a larger AP with more wrist presence, I recommend a royal oak offshore or royal oak offshore diver. They're great but also larger and I don't know if thats your thing.

old pic

>5k for a fucking watch

I don't get it?

I have to ask: is it real? If so, how did you come by it?

>I don't get it?
What's "it"? Pussy?

Why drive a Bugatti when a Ford does the same job?

Its the same thing. Different quality standards and stuff like that. A Rolex will last decades. It will not fail you. They are (somewhat) handmade, and crafted to a high standard.

There is some branding involved, but some of the proceeds from Rolex sales go to charity I believe.

too much for that wrist

Which one guys?

The whole point is to impress normies. Normal people don't really know AP, but I have some cash to burn, so...

Audemars has actually made it into the hip hop and basketball scenes prominently enough that more people than you think might recognize it. I think the Royal Oak is objectively a more handsome watch than the Oyster Perpetual.

>The whole point is to impress normies.
I don't like your goal and I think its pretentious but in your case I would get the Rolex because more people know about it. An AP is a connoisseurs watch

People into that scene would be more inclined to recognize an Royal Oak Offshore, but most likely not the more understated Royal Oak.

Also pretty much nobody cares what kind of watch you wear if you want the truth. Buy it for yourself.

t. Rolex owner

Pro tip. If you want a submariner homage, go for Steinhart. If you want to sepnd some more, definitely go for Davosa Ternos. Since I got more into watches, I refused to even spend less than 300 euros on a watch, and even then I really focus on upper level watches.

If you're buying your first expensive watch I'll give the same suggestion I'll always give: Rolex datejust steel and yellow. It's versatile, iconic, and beautifully made. You can wear it in formal or casual wear and get away with it, and it's just plain nice to look at.

I think it's a great place to start, probably because it was the first costly watch in my collection.

I have had mine for a long time (pictured here on the left) and still find myself wearing it often.

>forgot pic first time

If you're in to dive watches I suggest checking out Omega and Doxa. They are probably my favorite brand for those. Here are a couple more of mine that I'm partial too, just for ideas. As a collector I get hard for all the different Doxas since they are usually released in numbered batches.

Another similar option to what you have in the OP that is within you price range would be an Omega Seamaster. Here's mine.

where have you been whenever there is a watches general?

for fun, select favorite

Definitely the Egona, 4 from the left and next to the Seiko. It's gorgeous.

Pic is the watch thats currently getting some love. Have I mentioned I love Doxa and dive watches?

yo watch heads what can you tell me about this watch? apparently it's a rolex tudor and that's all I know. Dude wants to sell it to me for $200.

Is it worth that?

goddamn it. meant to post this pic

Tudors are well made watches and a great less expensive option than other luxury brands. With a parent company like Rolex you get to trust them a bit. The main different is they don't have in house made movements, but rather swiss movements made by ETA.

I don't know that specific model, but I suggest you find out what it went for retail, and check on its condition. I can't really tell you if 200 bucks is a good deal or not since I don't know what it originally cost, but generally Tudors are great bang for your buck at full retail price, so if it's in good condition that doesn't seem like it would be a terrible deal. Search around online for people selling the same model.

Also, it's a tudor, not a Rolex. Don't let this guy try to play up the connection there and sell it to you as a "rolex" with a higher price tag. They're made in side by side factories, but still.

He doesn't seem like he's trying to rip you off at 200 dollars though, unless the watch is it shit condition.

Thank you buddy. I was sceptical about the association. Can't find that particular model anywhere but I'll keep looking.

Is it only me that finds all these 'rolexes' and 'audemars' really rather inelegant and almost crude looking, I just feel there's no grace to them and the exorbitant price tags that come attached really do baffle me. Feel free to disagree... Or not.

And I know not all the pictures I called upon were 'rolex' or 'audemar' watches, but you know what I mean

what an awful fake lol

100% yes if it's in good condition

Try looking at the Explorer. New model is coming out soon. Pic related

If your budget is 5k you could definitely get a whole variety of good condition Submariners. But if you're after a navy dial then definitely go for a Tudor Black Bay. Also comes in Red, Black and Bronze. You can grab one for about 3k new, just ask your local authorized dealer for a discount. Tudor is also owned by Rolex if that sways your opinion at all.

You linked a couple of mine. I guess it's all perspective, man. I appreciate the craftsmanship, don't find them inelegant or crude looking, and enjoy wearing the different ones I collect. It's a hobby.

It's all about taste too. I shared a lot of big bulky dive watches, but there's also thin and more "elegant" ones.

Check out the omega constellation pie pan. That's probably my favorite dress watch.

As for the price tag, it's just the kind of thing that goes along with a purely luxury item.

Elegance is overrated and frankly a middle-class conceit. Some watches are just cool.

I like the sinn automatic. But then again I'm big into watches. Check out the /wt/'s on /g/ for lots of impressive watches to appease normies. Plus you might find out you don't have to bust your wallet to find a great well respected watch

>select favorite
the two on the left and the Nomos

Literally how is it possible to tell that watch is fake?

I've posted a genuine Rolex before and almost always, someone calls it fake

fake

Yeah, I've had some unique opportunities in life and done some cool shit, but if I say anything about the coolest parts of my life on Veeky Forums people just say I'm lying.

I guess the only real people here must be basement-dwelling poorfag NEETs.

Yeah then I get insecure and think maybe everyone who sees me with mine thinks it's fake.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it looks good on you. People may be more inclined to suspect a fake with Rolex specifically, but fuck 'em if they're wrong.

Guess so, thanks. What about an AP?

bump

thats why it's awful - if it's that obvious from a shitty photo.

the spacing and orientation on the markings/screws are all off

I'm comparing with pics online and can't spot a difference.

thumb rule: if it doesn't look good, it is a fake. See the difference:
youtube.com/watch?v=l9jxWYRSSXM

It's just a low quality picture though.

looks fine to me

Its fine . thats just a shit picture

copped this at local FB buy and sell for 40 bills

It's a lucien piccard, how did I do ?

have you considered Panerai, if you're looking for a watch thats not too busy this could be a good option for you.

Not OP but Panerais are pretty big for a lot of people

>40 bills
meaning $40?

true, honestly i only like the radiomir because its not as thick at the others

It's actually not.

yes... $40

Rehaut too thick, bezel too thick

So have we reached something here? They are both real?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion of gold watches? Do you think they look nice?

>wearing watches
>2016
How does it feel to be the next generation fedora masters?

Only if you are older.

this autistic comment always pops up sooner or later

how do we know this is fake

Any cheap alternatives to Junghans? I'm looking at Brathwait and Skagen right now.

Ruhla

It is kind of a weird angle pic but its real.The AP isn't mine. Not sure if it is real.

ap fake, rolex real

How can you tell?

they look awful thats for sure any orient bambino version looks much classier, who wears steel bands anyways?? geesh

>implying you can't buy a fake box

nice fake box too really good work

bump

rate?

its mirrored

also what bracelets should I wear with it

anyone whos rich enough to buy or inherit an AP is rich enough to not have a garbage camera/phone

eh it could be something else

bump

one user wanted to know where i got a $15 unbranded daniel wellington watch from.

well it finally arrived.
aliexpress.com/item/Sweden-armbandsur-Design-Nylon-Watchband-Casual-Watch-Thin-Case-Quartz-Japan-Movement-Free-Shipping/1996167798.html

glass gives a greenish tinge depending on lighting.
top left is best example.

the dial hands may be plastic idk, they seem to have a strange texture compared to the hour marks. you can only tell when put your face right up to your wrist

here it is again wearing it in better lighting

Get an Omega Speedmaster Professional Man on the Fucking Moon.

youtu.be/_cstYM0s_mE

nice shirt.

archie is such a judgemental shit but I enjoy his videos.

W2c a legit actual 50s 60s Soviet military watch???

the Bauhaus line by Junkers are cheapish, around ~260 USD for a quartz, and automatic between 500-550 USD

bump

A Lange Sohne > fp Journe > AP > IWC > JLC > Rolex > Omega

Nah, AP is in the big 3 (AP, PP, VC)

>IWC that high
You're literally a moron.

If that were true they would manufacture good looking watches.

Come on dude, are you serious

They are known as one of the best across the board because of the finishing of the cases and movement, along with all of their designs

seriously research before you make statements like that.

you dont know much about watches do you

Tourbillons made by Rolex, Omega: 0

Grand complications made by Rolex, Omega: 0

Repeaters made by Rolex, Omega: 0

Rolex don't even have display backs because they don't want real collectors seeing how shitty their movement decorations are.

Oh I remember when I went through this phase

You're so willing to bash one of the most innovative watch companies of all time, which has invented the water-resistant case, automatic movement, and date function, but where is your superior watch?

A Rolex is a tool watch. It is meant to withstand the elements and survive decades. I hope you understand this. It's like comparing a workhorse Mercedes with a rolls Royce that needs to be pampered.

someone thinks something you like is ugly
>do more research until you like it

hmmmm

I'd rather wear nothing

It's because he was saying AP didn't belong in the top 3 because of how they look, while completely disregarding the very high standards they are produced at

What watch do you wear? Show us your PP grand complications

At the end of the day Rolex is a tool watch company masquerading as a luxury watch company. They have no interest in fedora nonsense like what you listed.

This desu senpai

>Rolex is a tool watch company masquerading as a luxury watch company.
I agree with the tool watch aspect but they are a luxury company in all meanings of the word.

They first came into the "luxury" scene in the 80's but that doesn't mean they aren't. Branding helps with it but they really do have the product to back it up

t. Rolex owner

Lots of luxury brands have such high standards, and design was specifically mentioned in that post, as if researching bad design somehow makes it good.

Then again, AP got popular somehow...

The Royal Oak had trouble gaining traction in 1972 when it was released (because people had never seen a stainless steel luxury sports watch before) but it basically became a hit. I think a lot of people would agree that the original Royal Oak is one of the most iconic watch designs in the world and its okay to not like it, or the offshores or whatever, but that doesn't discount its place in the big 3