Tell me about: American heritage brands

Tell me about: American heritage brands

Pic related; Red Wing Iron Rangers

red wings are really overrated and at this point coast on their brand name more than anything else

sure, they'll last a while if you take care of them, but 90% of them are ugly as fuck

well made, decent boots. I get a lot of (you)'s from normies when I wear them. worth a cop if you like the look, they'll easily last you a decade

No, I'm asking about "American heritage brands" in general. Red Wings is an example of one particular brand! I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer!

more and more of these brands have started coasting on brand fame just like red wing
word is that carhartt stuff has been rapidly declining in quality

you should be fine with the shoemakers like white's, danner, etc. though, and I think duluth trading company is still well-regarded

Got my rangers for a year and a half still going strong. Even take them lifting and motorbike rides love them to bits.

*a year and a half ago sorry about that

>lifting weights in boots

i hope by lift you means curls and pulls and not squats or dl

>lifting in boots
I thank you for temporarily bringing joy into my life

Check out Dayton boots, they're made in Canada, but great quality and you'll have a brand not a ton of people here wear.

surprisingly helpful with squats actually
diddly's I do barefoot tho

Those are nice.
I got the red wing heritage Brogue Ranger about three four years ago.

There's one college rowing team (I think Georgetown) that used to do all their weight room sessions in Timberlands, Patagonia down vests and Oakleys, everybody wearing the same stuff.

Also before there were dedicated lifting and running shoes, things like dancing flats and dress shoe lasts were used to lift plenty big weights and run.

I like these

Weirdest brogue boots i've seen so far but to each their own

American heritage is a buzzword that's lost a lot of credibility at least in the past 5 years or so. Iron rangers are decent tho and i had my phase of lusting for them

A list of good American Heritage brands includes Post O'alls, Engineered Garments, Oat Street Bootmakers, Buzz Rickson, Filson, Gitman, and of course Levi's Vintage Clothing. There are also Japanese brands such as Mister Freedom and Iron Heart for far more adherence to raw denim and indigo. I'd also include to the list RRL, which is one of my favorite brands, although most of their catalogue, outside of a few exclusive high-end pieces, are made in China.

Iron Rangers are decent for their price point, however I have heard of sole issues and shoddy welting that comes undone after a year's wear. For what they retail for, you could just as likely buy a pair of lightly used Alden or Oak Street boots on eBay

I'd argue engineered garments and gitman don't exactly fit into American heritage despite being a US owned company.

I tend to associate American heritage with Americana (e.g. Visvim), not sure if other people here feel that way. Is there a distinction between the two?

>There's one college rowing team (I think Georgetown) that used to do all their weight room sessions in Timberlands, Patagonia down vests and Oakleys, everybody wearing the same stuff.
in all honesty that sounds incredibly fucking stupid

I second this. I think American Vintage is everything up to postwar greatest generation.

It is

Some pieces definitely fit into the aesthetic, but the companies as a whole are a little more removed from the heritage style.

The Japanese do it better than the US at this point though. Sift through Rakuten and you'll find tons of high quality denim, work shirts, flannels, loop wheeled sweats and so on. I've found you're better off looking at pieces rather than brands for building a heritage look, as lots of companies that aren't strictly heritage will often put out pieces you can easily incorporate into the style. I've found great tees and sweats from Real McCoy's and Honespun, jackets and jeans from Deluxe, shirts from Sugar Cane and Paul Smith. Lurk some inspo threads and keep an eye out in online stores for items that will work.

>disregarding Gitman and Engineered Garments
>hoisting Visvim instead

You have it backwards. American Heritage is an adherence to the tailoring of pre/WWII garments, using only garments of denim, waxed canvas, cotton, leather, and wool. Visvim uses contemporary synthetic blends in their garments, such as GoreTex in their softshells: this is categorically a large departure from the Americana it aims to emulate. Engineered Garments does much of the same, however without the eccentric combination of Japanese tailoring and patterning. Gitman, however, is as paradigmatic of Americana as it gets: a longstanding American owned, generationally-run clothing mill in the boonies of Pennsylvania is about as close to his aura as it can get.

>The Japanese do it better than the US at this point though.
I mean, a good half of the things you find in those lookbooks are produced by american companies, only for the Japanese market.

I'm talking about companies from Japan, manufacturing in Japan, even if the fabric may be deadstock sourced from the US. If you read through any jap mag you'll see loads of advertising for these companies. Not discounting what you're saying, which is true, just that it's not what I'm referring to.

As a rower this is a common outfit to wear minus the timberlands.

I recently got some Wolverine 1k miles and I really love them

got a sole with better tread fitted on them for winter and they're really great

might get a comfy insole for them though

Carhartt WIP is said to be a much better line but it's been a mixed bag for me. I have a pair of chinos I like but I had to return a work shirt that was no better than fast fashion.

Unless I'm missing something Mister Freedom is based in the US and a lot of their clothes are made here. They do collaborate with Toyo on the MFSC line, though. Speaking of which, Buzz Rickson's is a Japanese brand under Toyo.

Agreed on focusing on pieces. Brands have their strengths and weaknesses. Sizing concerns for me as well. I may fit into a brand's button up shirts while their tees are crazy short.

I've got a pair of brown wolverines, love them but dislike the leather sole.

Terrible.

Is there much quality difference between regular Levis and Made In USA Levi's? I much prefer buying from things made in first world countries but if the quality is no better its not worth the extra money

Asking because there's no where that sells them in Australia nearby

Bump

youre going to get cleaner construction and better materials with made in USA

only manlets are into workwear doii

Only manlets are into street wear*

what is it with MFA and raw denim?

I rowed out of the same boathouse as Georgetown for years. they did not ever lift in timbs. they did wear a lot of pata and oakleys, but not for lifting

Long dead meme