Albertus Magnus was said to have had a robot that could move and greet visitors with the salutation Salve! ('How are...

>Albertus Magnus was said to have had a robot that could move and greet visitors with the salutation Salve! ('How are you!'). Thomas Aquinas, his pupil at the time, is reported to have attacked and broken the gregarious android when he came across it unexpectedly in the night.

this fat son of a bitch whacked a robot

So your saying we should take anything we read about these two with a grain of salt?

>when he came across it unexpectedly in the night.

I like to think that would have been my impulse rather than hopping out a window or something.

that's not very christian of you :^)

I don't know, he might've had the foresight that those things would rule the world one day.

Is this legit though?

Implying you shouldn't defend yourself if you're Christian.

>Known as the "dumb ox" at his university, Thomas Aquinas was often the butt of practical jokes played by his classmates. On one occasion a group of students burst into his dormitory and urged him to rush to the window so that he could see a flock of pigs flying by. Incredulous, Aquinas quickly made his way to a window and shoved his head out eagerly looking for the flying pigs. Of course there were no pigs and in between guffaws at his gullibility, his classmates asked him how he could be so stupid to think pigs could fly. His reply was that he'd sooner believe that pigs could fly than that his classmates would lie to him.

Fagtron got what it deserved 2bh

>The manufacturing tradition of automata continued in the Greek world well into the Middle Ages. On his visit to Constantinople in 949 ambassador Liutprand of Cremona described automata in the emperor Theophilos' palace, including

>"lions, made either of bronze or wood covered with gold, which struck the ground with their tails and roared with open mouth and quivering tongue," "a tree of gilded bronze, its branches filled with birds, likewise made of bronze gilded over, and these emitted cries appropriate to their species" and "the emperor’s throne" itself, which "was made in such a cunning manner that at one moment it was down on the ground, while at another it rose higher and was to be seen up in the air."[15]

>Similar automata in the throne room (singing birds, roaring and moving lions) were described by Luitprand's contemporary Constantine Porphyrogenitus, who later became emperor, in his book Περὶ τῆς Βασιλείου Τάξεως.

Where all the monks this fucking gulliable? No wonder they all stuck to their religion.

>Byzantine emperors sat on elevating supervillian thrones.
Learn something new every day.

In a better alternate past he was pushed out the window to his demise and thus unable to write his heresies, saving millions of souls in the process.

*sigh*

Why are Italians so fucking stupid?

Explains why he was such a shit philosopher that only managed to copy Aristotele and did it wrong.

Do you think the robot tried to have sex with him too?

There used to exist cultures that valued honesty. Cyrus the great hated the Greeks for their markets, because there people lied frequently, lying was a serious and god help you if they found out you lied. Same as with the Germanic tribes, they practically didn't lie ever.

It is pretty cool to be honest.
>After I had done obeisance to the Emperor by prostrating myself three times, I lifted my head, and behold! the man whom I had just seen sitting at a moderate height from the ground had now changed his vestments and was sitting as high as the ceiling of the hall. I could not think how this was done, unless perhaps he was lifted up by some such machine as is used for raising the timbers of a wine press.

I'm an atheist.

I think the self preservation instinct is something that transcends creed.

>protestshit getting triggered by his work

>Aquinas attacked and destroyed a technological mechanical marvel of his day

>Bob Page, a devotee of Aquinas, tries to destroy the Denton bros, two nano-technological marvels of their day

But why contain it?

:(

Page didn't "try" to kill the dentons. He would have preferred to use them as enforcers.

Page also wasn't much of a devotee to Aquinas, as Aquinas never wrote of any specific city on a hill, which is all Page writes of it.

A better reference would have been to say that they're aspiring to create Augustine's City of God on earth, which is an impossibility and display of great hubris.